Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Comradephate posted:

Have you given them a list of suggested troubleshooting steps, or just whined about it on the internet?

Of course I have, I'm only an idiot jerk on the internet not in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
*EDIT* nevermind, i'm not that emo, really!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So if I had to choose either the LPIC-2 or the rhcsa, which one should I get? I already have the LPIC-1 because it was really really really easy to get.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Holy poo poo, I understand schools are cheap. But for the love of god, why did you connect a computer to a connector, to a punchdown block to a switch when all 28 computers are in the same room? Did whoever you select decide he wanted to make it as complicated as possible? On top of that, run another cord to a different switch across the room, and put 2 more switches behind the main switch all without labeling anything? Oh, and running wires through the ceiling without them being up to code. Jesus christ.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Helushune posted:

It seems like no one knows what the start menu is or hasn't the slightest idea of how to use it.

It's just going to get worst as the kids that grew up with tablets/smart phones as their "computer" enter the work force. In a way Windows 8 is really ahead of the curve in it's iOS-ification.

Science fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 25, 2013

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Helushune posted:

Windows 8 doesn't play nice with our required group policy settings (mostly just disabling UAC). That and I'm absolutely terrified of springing a new UI look on to most of my users who are terrified of computers to begin with.

Why the heck are you disabling UAC?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

DGK2000 posted:

Holy poo poo, I understand schools are cheap. But for the love of god, why did you connect a computer to a connector, to a punchdown block to a switch when all 28 computers are in the same room? Did whoever you select decide he wanted to make it as complicated as possible? On top of that, run another cord to a different switch across the room, and put 2 more switches behind the main switch all without labeling anything? Oh, and running wires through the ceiling without them being up to code. Jesus christ.

I remember way back in the day when my high school got a lab full of brand new first-gen PowerMacs. Since the school was old, there were like three outlets in every room, so someone came up with the bright idea to daisy-chain a dozen power strips together and plug about thirty PowerMacs into one wall socket. The first time the lab was used was when I was helping teach an elementary school class some multimedia stuff over the summer. Thirty little kids file into the room, sit down, and all push the power buttons at once. Five seconds later, as all the monitors come on, there's a terrible crackling sound and visible arcs of electricity start jumping out of the poor overloaded wall socket. :psypop: Thank goodness no one was close to the outlet at the time, though one assistant started to reach down and yank the power cord; he came within a few inches of getting fried before he reconsidered his plan.

Later that week, after messing with the (now properly powered) PowerMacs and their fancy CD-ROMs with built-in trays for a while, one kid ended up using an older Mac in one of the other labs, and managed to stuff about three or four bare CDs into the caddy CD-ROM drive before he figured out that something wasn't quite right. We had to take the whole system apart to get 'em out. :v:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

We opened a ticket to have a consultant setup a Cisco switch for our 3 man plant location in the south and the dumbass never setup SSH. So we ended up sending a laptop down with a console cable so we could get into the switch.

He set a console password and never told anyone what he set it to and the documentation he had is wrong.

:suicide:

I know this thread is moving fast, but still... I do this to myself sometimes - when restoring backup configurations with sensitive data out, that includes the crypto and SSH doesn't run when you get there. That sensitive data doesn't include SNMP strings, for some reason. That's the best because you can use the ccCopyConfig via SNMP to merge a file with the running-config and do all sorts of cool stuff. Unfortunately, I have to enable telnet because you can't specify the modulus parameter with the command on this platform. Oh well.

This Friday the whole team meets up for coffee - "So we're all in agreement we won't break anything today". It's a Friday, students are moving in, generally a good day to lay low. 4:00 PM I see a stack link on a switch bouncing. Rather than get called over the weekend because someone's Xbox won't connect, I go over to look. Typical retrofit data closet so it's 90 degrees F in there, and the cables have heated up and are loose. I crank them all down (thumb screws, mind you) and the whole stack goes haywire and goes into a reboot loop. Had to grab the laptop and selectively reload and poke and prod it until after 5 PM on Friday to get it to work. Figures. I just hope the students appreciate it, which I know they don't. Ticket will come in Monday someone got drunk and pissed in their data outlet or something.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Science posted:

It's just going to get worst as the kids that grew up with tablets/smart phones as their "computer" enter the work force. In a way Windows 8 is really ahead of the curve in it's iOS-ification.

Yeah, I can see that. I refuse to believe that a bunch of 30-40 somethings have never used a version of Windows earlier than 8 though. The tickets just don't make any sense to me.

DragonReach posted:

Enabling it interferes with a bunch of legacy applications that are still pretty critical, the incredibly odd way we handle some roaming profiles, and the way some old group policies were written before I started working here. There's a bunch of really odd logon scripts that copy php scripts to the local c:, run php.exe off some server that I haven't been able to find yet, and then apply various computer and registry settings instead of, you know, doing all that through group policy like a normal sysadmin. As far as I can tell, my predecessors couldn't figure out group policy but they kind of knew php scripting so they just did everything through that instead.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Helushune posted:

Enabling it interferes with a bunch of legacy applications that are still pretty critical, the incredibly odd way we handle some roaming profiles, and the way some old group policies were written before I started working here. There's a bunch of really odd logon scripts that copy php scripts to the local c:, run php.exe off some server that I haven't been able to find yet, and then apply various computer and registry settings instead of, you know, doing all that through group policy like a normal sysadmin. As far as I can tell, my predecessors couldn't figure out group policy but they kind of knew php scripting so they just did everything through that instead.
:gonk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6PZhONZ3Ac

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Helushune posted:

You should make getting rid of this horrific situation your highest priority. I sincerely hope you're just joking about this.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Volmarias posted:

You should make getting rid of this horrific situation your highest priority. I sincerely hope you're just joking about this.

I wish I was. We're currently being slammed by a lot of requests that are coming in last minute so I haven't had any time but this is my top priority once we're done putting out the fires that keep springing up. Oh, and fixing our current "backup solution" which is just an old P4 machine with a whole bunch of hard drives in it for every day of the week and just has them all shared out. I'm waiting for it to literally catch fire. On the upside, I'm never without projects.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
Gotta say, "disabling UAC" doesn't even come close to cracking the list of "Top 10 :wtc: Workarounds" posted in the original ticket thread.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Helushune posted:

Do you have software assurance through a Microsoft enterprise agreement?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/virtualization/UE-V.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/virtualization/app-v.aspx

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

DragonReach posted:

Is this uncommon? In the financial industry, if you want to upgrade your computers out of XP/Server2003-world, it's a good bet your vendors will insist on disabling UAC for their lovely applications.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sounder posted:

Is this uncommon? In the financial industry, if you want to upgrade your computers out of XP/Server2003-world, it's a good bet your vendors will insist on disabling UAC for their lovely applications.

This translates into "We don't want to update a few strings."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sounder posted:

And require installs outside of Progra~1 because they insist on writing data there instead of any number of more appropriate places.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

This translates into "We don't want to update a few strings."

sometimes not even that. I have a number of clients running apps which the vendor insist need the user to have full admin and UAC disabled to work. Turned out all I need to do for most is set permissions for the folder the app lives in for the user to have read/write access and sometimes for the corresponding registry keys. Often you can narrow it down to individual files if you are keen (e.g c:\program files (86)\shittyap\shittysettings.ini)

Of course if you ever need support for it they will tell you it is a permission issue and to run as administrator and disable UAC before they will look at it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

InCtrl is great for that sort of thing. It tracks registry changes, file changes, etc. So you can see what programs are trying to access what and grant rights accordingly.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Walter_Sobchak posted:

Gotta say, "disabling UAC" doesn't even come close to cracking the list of "Top 10 :wtc: Workarounds" posted in the original ticket thread.

Adding "." to the path and making a "rm" file because checking what file you are working in in your scripts is too drat hard.

Also the single most horrible script I've ever seen but I can't really post it. It involves relying on file names long enough for two of them not to fit in the result of a ls stored in a 500 char array which is passed to rm to make sure it only deletes one file and not two.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Sounder posted:

This is a fantastic "no brown M&Ms" test. If a software vendor screws this up in 2013 there is much more wrong elsewhere too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Karanth posted:

This is a fantastic "no brown M&Ms" test. If a software vendor screws this up in 2013 there is much more wrong elsewhere too.

That sounds fine in a perfect world, but the one I work in includes things like legacy applications that haven't been updated since UAC was released, or versions of applications that are still in use and supported by the vendor that were from the Windows XP days that for some reason or other (usually money) the client refuses to upgrade to the newer version.

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010
Last night I got a call around 9pm from someone that had managed to make .lnk files (desktop shortcuts) open with MS Word by default. That was an interesting one to figure out. I have no idea how people manage to do this stuff!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NorskHotDog posted:

Last night I got a call around 9pm from someone that had managed to make .lnk files (desktop shortcuts) open with MS Word by default. That was an interesting one to figure out. I have no idea how people manage to do this stuff!
I had that happen to me and it was some weird corruption that happened during an install or uninstall. It was a registry problem. And good luck trying to launch the stuff you need to fix it by clicking a shortcut or program menu.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Internal Notes: advised that it is 11:50 pm on a Sunday and that we are not the bookstore

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Motronic posted:

That sounds fine in a perfect world, but the one I work in includes things like legacy applications that haven't been updated since UAC was released, or versions of applications that are still in use and supported by the vendor that were from the Windows XP days that for some reason or other (usually money) the client refuses to upgrade to the newer version.

I'm not claiming there's always a better option available, just that when you see it, you know to brace for it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

dennyk posted:

I remember way back in the day when my high school got a lab full of brand new first-gen PowerMacs. Since the school was old, there were like three outlets in every room, so someone came up with the bright idea to daisy-chain a dozen power strips together and plug about thirty PowerMacs into one wall socket. The first time the lab was used was when I was helping teach an elementary school class some multimedia stuff over the summer. Thirty little kids file into the room, sit down, and all push the power buttons at once. Five seconds later, as all the monitors come on, there's a terrible crackling sound and visible arcs of electricity start jumping out of the poor overloaded wall socket. :psypop: Thank goodness no one was close to the outlet at the time, though one assistant started to reach down and yank the power cord; he came within a few inches of getting fried before he reconsidered his plan.

Later that week, after messing with the (now properly powered) PowerMacs and their fancy CD-ROMs with built-in trays for a while, one kid ended up using an older Mac in one of the other labs, and managed to stuff about three or four bare CDs into the caddy CD-ROM drive before he figured out that something wasn't quite right. We had to take the whole system apart to get 'em out. :v:

The daisy-chained power strips thing drives me crazy. I don't understand how you get to be an adult without understanding that it's not okay. Ours don't do it to get more outlets, though, they just move offices and insist on having their equipment setup in the least convenient possible places, far away from power and data drops.

I did feel bad for one guy who changed offices a couple months ago, though. His new office has exactly one pair of outlets and one data and voice wall plate... and they are on opposite walls across from each other.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

guppy posted:

The daisy-chained power strips thing drives me crazy. I don't understand how you get to be an adult without understanding that it's not okay. Ours don't do it to get more outlets, though, they just move offices and insist on having their equipment setup in the least convenient possible places, far away from power and data drops.

I did feel bad for one guy who changed offices a couple months ago, though. His new office has exactly one pair of outlets and one data and voice wall plate... and they are on opposite walls across from each other.

Now here comes an unpopular opinion: Daisy chaining power strips isn't necessarily evil. If you are using a 16A rated power strip, that's literally more than your average section is going to be rated for, so there's no problem chaining these to infinity, because the fuse is going to die before the powerstrips do. Now I know electrics quality isn't the same in the US as it is here, but I imagine you guys use the same quality for IT, so really it's not an actual issue. It's untidy, shouldn't be a permanent solution, but it's by no means horrible. It doesn't change a thing if you make those amps available on more outlets or not, new wall outlets don't suddenly add capacity, they are literally convenient connectors added to the same circuit.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We have fire inspectors who will come around and cite you for a NFPA violation if you do that. My office is like the above post, 2 outlets on one wall, data on another ( but 6 of them), and a giant modular corner desk opposite. I just got me one of those power strips from an old server rack that is 6 feet long with a ton of outlets.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

NorskHotDog posted:

I had exactly the same issue - But with Irfanview instead of MS Word. To make it worse, she didn't have an internet connection so I had to try and find out what program it was opening in, I had to walk her through making changes to the registry. Hnnng.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Partycat posted:

We have fire inspectors who will come around and cite you for a NFPA violation if you do that. My office is like the above post, 2 outlets on one wall, data on another ( but 6 of them), and a giant modular corner desk opposite. I just got me one of those power strips from an old server rack that is 6 feet long with a ton of outlets.

Theres no fire hazard because you chqin them up...

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SEKCobra posted:

Now here comes an unpopular opinion: Daisy chaining power strips isn't necessarily evil. If you are using a 16A rated power strip, that's literally more than your average section is going to be rated for, so there's no problem chaining these to infinity, because the fuse is going to die before the powerstrips do. Now I know electrics quality isn't the same in the US as it is here, but I imagine you guys use the same quality for IT, so really it's not an actual issue. It's untidy, shouldn't be a permanent solution, but it's by no means horrible. It doesn't change a thing if you make those amps available on more outlets or not, new wall outlets don't suddenly add capacity, they are literally convenient connectors added to the same circuit.

It's cute that you think people that do this are using high-quality stuff and not either A) Something they found buried in a closet of unknown source and/or vintage, or B) The absolute cheapest piece of poo poo they could find at WalMart on their lunch break.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's cute that you think people that do this are using high-quality stuff and not either A) Something they found buried in a closet of unknown source and/or vintage, or B) The absolute cheapest piece of poo poo they could find at WalMart on their lunch break.

Well I dont know, even the cheapest crap here is rated for 7 Amps and normal homes have a max of 10. Any decent ones are rated to 16 so at that point you can literally do nothing but trip the beaker.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Thank you for telling me I need to come in at the crack of dawn to help with X and then proceed to spend an hour talking about your weekend.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

SEKCobra posted:

Well I dont know, even the cheapest crap here is rated for 7 Amps and normal homes have a max of 10. Any decent ones are rated to 16 so at that point you can literally do nothing but trip the beaker.

What houses are you in, I've regularly had to install 15s at a minimum, 20's are common in high-draw areas. And there's always the questionable maxocheaps from walmart that's rated to 7a but degrade over time when everyone kicks at, trips over, slams desk into, and runs the chair over the power strips... It's a bloody loving nightmare and an electrical fire waiting to happen.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

What houses are you in, I've regularly had to install 15s at a minimum, 20's are common in high-draw areas. And there's always the questionable maxocheaps from walmart that's rated to 7a but degrade over time when everyone kicks at, trips over, slams desk into, and runs the chair over the power strips... It's a bloody loving nightmare and an electrical fire waiting to happen.

Got 230v forgot about that. Single circuits are at 12a, obviously the houses are way higher.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's the day of the next production release of the software and so you finally decide to test your changes in UAT. They're not what you expected even though they're to spec? Tough poo poo, should have raised that issue 3 weeks ago when I could have done something about it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

Theres no fire hazard because you chqin them up...

On the check sheet it's F605.5.1 . F605.5 deals with lashing up power strips and running them through walls and such. I don't have a copy of the electrical code handy here to see if there is a subsection to it now. I've certainly seen them smoke up plugging too much into them (Tripp Lite nice ones too).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Partycat posted:

F605.5 deals with lashing up power strips and running them through walls and such.

:stare:

Well I guess that's one way to avoid hiring an electrician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Partycat posted:

On the check sheet it's F605.5.1 . F605.5 deals with lashing up power strips and running them through walls and such. I don't have a copy of the electrical code handy here to see if there is a subsection to it now. I've certainly seen them smoke up plugging too much into them (Tripp Lite nice ones too).

Wait now.....exactly where in exactly what code says you can run a temporary extension through a wall penetration?

That's a new one on me.

• Locked thread