Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Crotch Bat posted:

What a baby. How surprised can anyone be that in an ultra-competitive setting that some will do what they can to try to maximize their potential to succeed.
Because there's a difference between being the best, and having the best time. Before Sig was a beast and before a lot of people cared about SM64 he had a VC WR and spent a huge amount of time learning N64 right after because he wanted to actually be able to compete. I understand the "lower time = the goal of speedrunning" mentality, but I don't think anyone should be suprised that people who are more genuinely competitive reject all the "OMG WR!!!" hype. Some people prefer genuine self improvement and knowing they're better than someone over getting a low number so they can get high viewers. It's just a different context that people come from and a different mentality.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The whole argument is drat close to Twin Galaxies territory anyways where everyone makes up these arbitrary rules to suit their own needs and woe be to those who break them. If Sig had an ounce of conviction about everything he'd have kept the tweets up and they could have maybe had some reasonable form of discourse on the subject instead of him pouncing into douche mode then deleting them because he can't take the heat he puts out and instead just leaves these vague passive-aggressive tweets that just reek of desperation and angst.

It's loving video games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dizz posted:

Many speedrunners are passive aggressive children. Who was that guy who got mad at I think siglemic for doing WR attempts while people were donating money to him?

I think that had to less with donating money and more with he opted to stream during a charity marathon and got twice what the charity did in less time. Or something like that.

Still speedrun drama is drama, the salt will be overwhelming when the next round of cuts happen on the AGDQ list.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
Zoasty Just hit a 45:22 with Super Metroid! -1.4 :D More runs on the way so check it out

edit: deleted quote
e2: thanks Kyrosiris for the update on the time it was 45:18

SevenStringGuru fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 25, 2013

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Yeah that run was pretty tense. Lots of missed wall jump in the second half - I can see room for it to go below 45.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SevenStringGuru posted:

Zoasty Just hit a 45:22 with Super Metroid! -1.4 :D More runs on the way so check it out

edit: deleted quote

Actually, it was a 45:18, he hit his final split like ~4 seconds late.

Still a :30 game time because Behemoth did a lot of strats that save quite a bit of game-time but are slower real time that Zoast didn't.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Alteisen posted:

I think that had to less with donating money and more with he opted to stream during a charity marathon and got twice what the charity did in less time. Or something like that.

Still speedrun drama is drama, the salt will be overwhelming when the next round of cuts happen on the AGDQ list.

Oh did he really stream when a charity thing was going on? that's kinda poo poo and that other dude had reason to bitch I suppose. I dont follow much speedrunning events but the drama always seems to get my attention.

Though if you think about it I guess it's more on blaming the people for donating to him and not a good cause.

E: Question. Have there been any arcade type games that have been speedran like Crazy Taxi? or does that fall under some weird ruleset [Fastest S rank/Fastest X score/Fastest challenges etc?]

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IIRC that charity was a couple weeks after SGDQ. I assume all the speedrunners attending actually lost a week's worth of twitch revenue and donations. Happy Tails was unfortunately timed and the fact that it made less money than Sig is not really Sig's fault and I don't really understand where people expect the streamers who make their living off this to go when we start having monthly charity marathons.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
There are so many marathons lately, it's impossible to stream around all of them. As much as I supported the Happy Tails marathon, it shouldn't matter who all streams during it and how much money they may or may not make from donations.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Now you guys are literally getting mad at someone for streaming at all.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Dizz posted:

E: Question. Have there been any arcade type games that have been speedran like Crazy Taxi? or does that fall under some weird ruleset [Fastest S rank/Fastest X score/Fastest challenges etc?]

Depending on the type of game, there can be speedruns but I think a lot of arcade games are geared more toward score attack. Funkdoc speedran the arcade Castlevania ("Haunted Castle" I think), and other games like Strider or Rolling Thunder could potentially be ran.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

usedpizza posted:

Now you guys are literally getting mad at someone for streaming at all.
The only moral stream that makes money opposite a marathon is my stream that makes money opposite a marathon :colbert:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Crotch Bat posted:

The whole argument is drat close to Twin Galaxies territory anyways where everyone makes up these arbitrary rules to suit their own needs and woe be to those who break them. If Sig had an ounce of conviction about everything he'd have kept the tweets up and they could have maybe had some reasonable form of discourse on the subject instead of him pouncing into douche mode then deleting them because he can't take the heat he puts out and instead just leaves these vague passive-aggressive tweets that just reek of desperation and angst.

It's loving video games.
Dude, YOU'RE the one who seems super distraught and literally irl upset about what a speedrunner deleted from twitter. You can't pass off the whole "it's just videogames!!!" thing when you've made multiple frothing posts about it. Twin Galaxies isn't even relevant in the discussion -- there's no arbitrary rules, there's no grey area, it's just pretty clear cut. I think Sig can back up his poo poo talk well enough when he took the VC 70 star record back from Alex in 2 attempts and the 120 star in a day or so.

nerve posted:

Why does it bother Siglemic so much that somebody is running the game on a system He Doesn't Approve Of?

Isn't it in the realm of possibility that having a Wii (and therefore the VC) a lot more common than an N64 and a JP cart? If people don't like Cosmo using the iQue because it's uncommon and not accessible to a lot of people, then why is it a big deal when someone runs SM64 on probably the most accessible format?

He doesn't care about people playing it on VC, it's just the stupid "WR!!!!" hype. "joke community. skill and optimization takes a backseat to ~*~world records~*~* and twitch popularity." sums it up perfectly.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 25, 2013

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Why does it bother Siglemic so much that somebody is running the game on a system He Doesn't Approve Of?

Isn't it in the realm of possibility that having a Wii (and therefore the VC) a lot more common than an N64 and a JP cart? If people don't like Cosmo using the iQue because it's uncommon and not accessible to a lot of people, then why is it a big deal when someone runs SM64 on probably the most accessible format?

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Dizz posted:

A lot of arcade games are either extremely difficult to play properly, or extremely difficult to complete in any reasonable fast way while also 1cc'ing the game (which is generally a requirement for an arcade run to be considered since coin abuse would be a thing in many games.) That's why most arcade games get ran on either a console port/adaptation of the game, or not at all.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

It'd be pretty funny to walk into an arcade and see someone playing House of the Dead 4 or whatever with a camera on a tripod pointing at the screen.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Brett824 posted:

He doesn't care about people playing it on VC, it's just the stupid "WR!!!!" hype. "joke community. skill and optimization takes a backseat to ~*~world records~*~* and twitch popularity." sums it up perfectly.

Okay, has Hyassin done that? Or is he just assuming that?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So I take it MAME would be out of the question for arcade speedruns then?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

The Rokstar posted:

So I take it MAME would be out of the question for arcade speedruns then?

Yes, having tested MAME emulation with original arcade boards side by side for over ten years time.

e: Difficult to elaborate. There's more to MAME vs PCB inaccuracies and differences than M64 VC vs N64. Many emulations are based on what was learned from bootleg PCBs who themselves were inaccurate due to their unique hardware the bootleggers couldn't copy (but still managed to replicate). Would like to add that it is not nightmarishly expensive to collect arcade games unless you're into the rarest of rares or Japanese shoot em'ups with little girls Cave games. Recommend those starting out to get a VOGATEK supergun, out of production so look for Craigs/eBay/etc

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 25, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm a nobody in the speedrunning community, just a fan. I don't even watch Cosmo or Sig and even though it was explained, as a fan I still do not recognize the iQue as a valid platform :colbert:. It's so obscure it should be it's own category.

Also I'll go ahead and say it just because nobody else has yet. Happy Tails didn't make a lot of money because of some streamer or whatever streaming during the same time...they didn't make a lot of money because of their cause. I know there are a lot of animal lovers, but there's also a lot of people who will never donate for something like that.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Happy Tails got no donations because it got no viewers. It had no viewers because it had no promotion and a bunch of obscure games to try and fit a theme. Nobody cared.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I imagine there was probably some marathon fatigue, too. Wasn't it less than a month after SGDQ?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

Happy Tails got no donations because it got no viewers. It had no viewers because it had no promotion and a bunch of obscure games to try and fit a theme. Nobody cared.

Are you thinking of a different marathon? Happy Tails got over $6000 which is quite good for an online minor marathon (and had around 800-1000+ viewers most of the time).

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Sig signed up for Happy Tails and then pulled out for apparently no reason so if you wanna be mad at him for something it should be that.

Lawyer Dog
Mar 29, 2010

CVagts posted:

Are you thinking of a different marathon? Happy Tails got over $6000 which is quite good for an online minor marathon (and had around 800-1000+ viewers most of the time).

Happy Tails was also for a cause that it's harder to get people to support. It did pretty decently overall.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
It's TSSB time again! This week is a Records show with Omnigamer, zallard1, tjp7154, and zoasty.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea happy tails did great all things considered.

The one that bombed was the Speedathon, it was right after Happy Tails and had maybe 80 people tops, for some reason they let someone run who basically pointed a webcam at the tv and the quality was horrific, the stream would drop to like 20 people whenever he played.

They still got like 400 bucks though.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I knew the Speedathon was this month, but I had no idea that it already happened.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

CVagts posted:

I knew the Speedathon was this month, but I had no idea that it already happened.

Speedathn is Sept I think. I believe he's talking about the Seasonal Speedruns Marathon, which was pretty abysmal. Also someone made a post about "when there's a marathon every month" a bit ago, but that reality is very much already here.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 26, 2013

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
"A marathon every month" is an understatement at this point. But as long as the people who put it together take the time to promote it and set it up right, it can work and raise a few thousand dollars for the appropriate charity (like Happy Tails did). But not everyone does that.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Streaming during a charity marathon is kind of a weird thing since there are now a lot of them, and quite a few are god awful, poorly advertised, or poorly timed. Like SRGathon 2 was really good because it was well-timed and well advertised (a lot of people talked about it on streams and also got tweets from streamers, etc.).

Happy Tails was well-known (at least among the community), but wasn't necessarily well advertised. Also it was right after SGDQ, and for the streamers that were at SGDQ that stream for income: they'd already missed a week of streaming and had to play makeup.

Was it Happy Tails that Sig streamed during and got a bunch of donations for? I thought it was the Easter Marathon.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brett824 posted:

Speedathn is Sept I think. I believe he's talking about the Seasonal Speedruns Marathon, which was pretty abysmal. Also someone made a post about "when there's a marathon every month" a bit ago, but that reality is very much already here.

Yea my mistake, it was Seasonal.

Definitely spot on the Marathon stuff, I think there's 3 in September, I myself was planning one for the benefit of a community member, a relatively small one with like 8 runners but I'll probably do it on October at this point since I don't wanna overlap with anything.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Brett824 posted:

Dude, YOU'RE the one who seems super distraught and literally irl upset about what a speedrunner deleted from twitter. You can't pass off the whole "it's just videogames!!!" thing when you've made multiple frothing posts about it. Twin Galaxies isn't even relevant in the discussion -- there's no arbitrary rules, there's no grey area, it's just pretty clear cut. I think Sig can back up his poo poo talk well enough when he took the VC 70 star record back from Alex in 2 attempts and the 120 star in a day or so.

It's neat to see what you think you can draw from letters on a screen but no, not remotely upset or "frothing mad" about it.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 26, 2013

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Alteisen posted:

Yea happy tails did great all things considered.

The one that bombed was the Speedathon, it was right after Happy Tails and had maybe 80 people tops, for some reason they let someone run who basically pointed a webcam at the tv and the quality was horrific, the stream would drop to like 20 people whenever he played.

They still got like 400 bucks though.

Who was streaming with a webcam pointed at the TV? it's literally like 30 bucks to get a USB capture device nowadays, sheesh.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dana Crysalis posted:

Who was streaming with a webcam pointed at the TV? it's literally like 30 bucks to get a USB capture device nowadays, sheesh.

Some runner by the name of boohead, apparently that's how he streams.

They also had a no-show.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Dana Crysalis posted:

$8.99 from DealXtreme for the same model that people pay $30+ for but in a different plastic chassis. Composite and S-Video, audio, all that.

They also have a 720p component usb2 device for like $23, reportedly lag-free enough to play via the preview window.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

$8.99 from DealXtreme for the same model that people pay $30+ for but in a different plastic chassis. Composite and S-Video, audio, all that.

They also have a 720p component usb2 device for like $23, reportedly lag-free enough to play via the preview window.

Which model? :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Studio posted:

Which model? :v:

Oh, 480p, 720x480/576 :7
http://dx.com/p/usb-gaming-capture-for-xbox-360-psp-ps3-115666
(Some experience driver issues in Win7, Win8)

http://dx.com/p/easycap-usb-video-capture-adapter-5707
($8.99 model, can be found for a fiver on eBay)

(I should try to squeeze that cheap little component box into my budget, got an RGB-YUV converter)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 26, 2013

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
I hear there are a lot of EasyCap clones, that are all complete garbage. The only version I've heard is okay is the real one, the ezcap.tv one. (Which I have and haven't had any issues with that weren't easily solved)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Dana Crysalis posted:

I hear there are a lot of EasyCap clones, that are all complete garbage. The only version I've heard is okay is the real one, the ezcap.tv one. (Which I have and haven't had any issues with that weren't easily solved)

There are clones that work themselves into DX's warehouse, people have received cloned junk when they were supposed to have received a DC60 chip $8.99 unit, but they're very good about taking care of these things.

• Locked thread