Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Gonna play in a rink for the first day today in two decades. Only a practice, but hell. Hockey! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Follow up:

Hockey was great

I am terrible

My stamina is terrible

I threw up in the trash can behind the bench 40 minutes in and jumped back on the next shift.

Hockey! :woop:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Very true.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vindication: heard this morning that the guy who was on my team and gave me poo poo attitude all the time was "uninvited" from the beer league for having a crappy attitude.

And here I thought it was just me. :allears:

Also I actually managed to deke a couple guys this morning and control the puck in tight quarters.. which is a first. Incremental improvements!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

xzzy posted:

Vindication: heard this morning that the guy who was on my team and gave me poo poo attitude all the time was "uninvited" from the beer league for having a crappy attitude.

And here I thought it was just me. :allears:

Also I actually managed to deke a couple guys this morning and control the puck in tight quarters.. which is a first. Incremental improvements!

Having a bad attitude is the easiest way to get kicked off a team. Even if someone is a good player, people will only put up with that for so long.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Anders posted:

I threw up in the trash can behind the bench 40 minutes in and jumped back on the next shift.

Pro-tip: Don't eat for 3 hours before game time to avoid cramps and nausea. I can sometimes swing 2 hours, but I generally cramp if I eat 3 hours before game time. I *once* ate a small candy bar right before suiting up for a game. THrew up in the third.

:woop: hockey.

Aniki posted:

Having a bad attitude is the easiest way to get kicked off a team. Even if someone is a good player, people will only put up with that for so long.

Especially when that guy is being an rear end in a top hat to the guy who is trying hard to learn. gently caress people who act like beer league matters.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Well, the hernia on my esophagus(?) doesn't really help holding my stomach contents inside either. But I truly just need to train on my cardio. It's... not good.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

JetsGuy posted:

Pro-tip: Don't eat for 3 hours before game time to avoid cramps and nausea. I can sometimes swing 2 hours, but I generally cramp if I eat 3 hours before game time. I *once* ate a small candy bar right before suiting up for a game. THrew up in the third.

:woop: hockey.

This is good to know. I haven't quite gotten my pre-game/post-game eating and hydration right yet and find myself getting queasy more often than not before a game is done.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

loving bro hug posted:

This is good to know. I haven't quite gotten my pre-game/post-game eating and hydration right yet and find myself getting queasy more often than not before a game is done.

In general, eating 3-4 hours before playing is fine. Just be careful to not anything that might make you feel sick later. As for water, hydrate in the 24 hours leading up to your ice time and then ease back on your water consumption about 45 minutes before skating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Y'all got weak stomachs. I can chow down on a plate of spaghetti 60 minutes before ice time and I'm fine.

I generally don't, because it feels like it slows me down to skate on a full stomach, but I sure as heck don't barf it up.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If you don't crush 2 beers in the locker room before the game you aren't doing it right.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Normally I don't eat 3-4 hours before my first game, and get my water in all day long before it. After the first game of the day I can usually eat anything I want before my next one. This is usually like a slice of pizza or something. Pre-game beers are always good but if the rink owner finds out he doesn't let you play haha.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cenzo posted:

Pre-game beers are always good but if the rink owner finds out he doesn't let you play haha.

what in the hell

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Yeah - I just pop in a piece of gum if I'm worried. Truth is, I'm done drinking before games. Beer is for afterward. I hate the feeling of playing poorly with beer in my system.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Beer before games makes me queasy, which is why I switched to dropping acid before games.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

sellouts posted:

what in the hell
We have a similar thing down here. Our rink is owned by a crazy christian so there is no beer sold at the snack bar and they don't like us to bring any into the rink.

Still doesn't stop a bunch of guys on various teams from bringing some into the locker room, or stop us from then drinking in the parking lot like we're a bunch of highschoolers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

real_scud posted:

Still doesn't stop a bunch of guys on various teams from bringing some into the locker room, or stop us from then drinking in the parking lot like we're a bunch of highschoolers.

That's basically my point. There are a lot of weird laws in regards to sale, but an owner going around and seeing if you've had one or two or maybe brought in a few for the team after?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Anders posted:

Well, the hernia on my esophagus(?) doesn't really help holding my stomach contents inside either. But I truly just need to train on my cardio. It's... not good.

I've had several cancer-prevention surgeries on my esophagus, so I quite literally feel your pain when it comes to hiatal herniae.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

loving bro hug posted:

It's a personal thing, but it is what works for me. I do find that if I have two games in one day, I can usually have some food between games. Somehow greasy food is the best for that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been getting major hunger pangs when I get off the ice the past few months, and I've developed this horrible habit of going through a mcdonald's drive through and getting a cheeseburger. Probably the worst post-workout meal on the planet but it solves my issue.

It's not that I crave having the cheeseburger either, it's just the quickest solution I can think of that isn't a billion calories.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

I've been getting major hunger pangs when I get off the ice the past few months, and I've developed this horrible habit of going through a mcdonald's drive through and getting a cheeseburger. Probably the worst post-workout meal on the planet but it solves my issue.

It's not that I crave having the cheeseburger either, it's just the quickest solution I can think of that isn't a billion calories.

Take some whey in a shaker bottle and you can drink it in the locker room.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Thufir posted:

Take some whey in a shaker bottle and you can drink it in the locker room.

Or just get a milk shake on the way home. Or stop in a gas station and get some chocolate milk.

Or the best option, rage eat like I do and ingest 2k calories in a single fast food serving post hockey game. Somehow I still weigh 160lbs at 5'10".

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I typically get my last meal in 4 hours before a game and stick to liquids after that. Pre-game beers don't seem to harm my play that much, though one game I was a bit buzzed from a serious pre-game drinkathon and utterly missed a dribbling puck with an open net.

For my post-game snacks, I tend to go with either McD's fries for the salt or (if it's open) Sonic mozzerella sticks, which I've come to call either "Victory Sticks" or "Sympathy Sticks" depending on the game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I scored in a shootout last night with this move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1koBS6fAykk

It was pretty rad.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Verman posted:

Or just get a milk shake on the way home. Or stop in a gas station and get some chocolate milk.

Or the best option, rage eat like I do and ingest 2k calories in a single fast food serving post hockey game. Somehow I still weigh 160lbs at 5'10".

I tend to grab some Muscle Milk at a gas station on my way home. I really should just buy some whey because it'd be like 10x cheaper.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

Jerk. :argh:

I cut to 2500 a day and still am not losing anything. Not a single drat ounce. I genuinely don't know how I could cut even more and maintain energy levels to remain active.

JetsGuy posted:

I tend to grab some Muscle Milk at a gas station on my way home. I really should just buy some whey because it'd be like 10x cheaper.

Muscle milk is actually "bad" whey because it has a lot of "filler" carbs in it. So unless you're trying to bulk it's not a great option.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Muscle milk is actually "bad" whey because it has a lot of "filler" carbs in it. So unless you're trying to bulk it's not a great option.

Yeah seriously chocolate milk is generally one of the best recovery drinks. Cyclists swear by it.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Yeah seriously chocolate milk is generally one of the best recovery drinks. Cyclists swear by it.

Yeah, but beer's great after a workout.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/10/scientists-suggest-beer-after-workout/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any calories post activity are good, but protein has been demonstrated to be the best. Beer I don't think is all that great.. that article indicates that it's probably carbonation that helps with recovery, which you could get with soda water.

Not that I'm suggesting people not drink after hockey. :v:

On Thursdays we bribe the zamboni driver with beer to get extra ice, so even if you don't drink it's valuable currency.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ugh. My team got in no fewer than five fistfights last night. At one point I looked down the ice and saw my captain just taking swings at another guy. Other offenses included just randomly checking dudes ("because gently caress that guy!") and generally us being a team full of dickheads. Of course we lost 7-0, due in no small part because we were down at least a man for half the game. When I inquired as to why my teammates would behave like such complete and utter morons, the typical response was "Well, the guy punched me first. What was I supposed to do?" Or, the classic "If the ref isn't going to call these assholes, then I mean, I gotta do something!"

We have a reputation amongst the league and the refs of being a team full of hot-headed idiots :iiam:

After the game, I got dressed and got the hell out of the locker room before I started screaming at my teammates for being such goons. Suffice it to say, Anyone in the Denver area looking for a low/mid-C player? I can play both offense and defense. Likes: Long walks on the beach, and honesty. Dislikes: Bad breath, purse dogs, and people who are "fake."

Now I know why some people just eschew league play altogether in favor of drop-in.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 26, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm kind of surprised your league doesn't have a zero tolerance on fighting. From the little I've seen it completely eliminates that malarkey. At the very least no player will be involved in a second incident.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think I'd ever be angry enough to fight someone, probably the worst thing I've done all season is lay out a ringer the other team had. Generally I have no problem with the other team having a ringer or two. Most guys are pretty cool about it and do their best to play down to the level they're at. Not this guy. He skated in circles around everyone, dangled on old guys who can barely skate, scored a hat trick in the first 10 minutes of the game, and was generally acting like an rear end in a top hat, saying how easy it was and how we sucked, etc. He was a little guy, smaller than me anyway (and I'm only 5'9, 160 lbs), so when I got the chance to line him up I knocked him on his rear end. It was a legal hit, but I got penalized since it's a no-hitting league, but he stopped being a dick so it kind of worked out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I legit almost went after someone in our playoff game last week. I didn't even have the puck and he threw a body check into me. I ended up sliding head first into the boards. He had been doing that poo poo all game and not getting called for it, but we were down 1 in a playoff game so I opted to let it go and just called him a cocksucker instead. That was the only time I've ever actually considered decking someone. He ended up getting tossed in the third though.

If someone gets in my face, I'll push them away or give them a bit of a cross-check to the chest. I have thrown a hip into certain ringers as they were flying up the boards though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm kind of surprised your league doesn't have a zero tolerance on fighting. From the little I've seen it completely eliminates that malarkey. At the very least no player will be involved in a second incident.

Yeah, we had one where our defenseman got knocked down, then proceeded to get up and start hitting the guy like he was a speed bag. I was amazed that he didn't get tossed.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

sellouts posted:

what in the hell

Yeah - he's fine if you bring it in and store it in the fridge and drink it after. But if you're drinking before and he catches you he won't let you play. He will, however, drink your beer while you're playing.

I think it has something to do with liability if someone gets hurt and they have a BAC > 0.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If someone gets in my face, I'll push them away or give them a bit of a cross-check to the chest. I have thrown a hip into certain ringers as they were flying up the boards though.

If you're going to start poo poo in beer league keep your loving stick down and out of it. But I don't understand bragging about throwing hips into people but then getting super bummed when someone hits you? They're both penalties in adult league, puck or not, so what does it really matter?

cenzo posted:

Yeah - he's fine if you bring it in and store it in the fridge and drink it after. But if you're drinking before and he catches you he won't let you play. He will, however, drink your beer while you're playing.

I think it has something to do with liability if someone gets hurt and they have a BAC > 0.

So wait, he's checking every person as they go in? Or in the locker rooms? Every league I've played in the LD has done their best to not be around so if poo poo goes down the league can claim ignorance. Also to avoid doing actual work.

That being said I want to keep stuff in a fridge at a rink so it's colder when I get out.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I got my first composite stick. :unsmith:

It's a used left handed Reebok 11K with a Sakic curve.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Minto Took posted:

I got my first composite stick. :unsmith:

It's a used left handed Reebok 11K with a Sakic curve.

Welcome to the black hole of spending money on sticks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I honestly have to fight the urge to buy new sticks almost every time I go into the pro shop. They just look so shiny and cool. I bought a new one a few months ago though for no reason, I think three is enough for now. Sometimes I hope my stick breaks during a game so that I have an excuse to buy a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My urge is to try every single curve, hoping I'll discover the one that unlocks my inner Crosby.

So far I've been able to resist acting on it.