Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bullshit linkbait is full of bullshit.

On a related note, better go take some sunset pictures before sensors get 5 more stops of dynamic range and everyone starts taking perfect sunset photos every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dren posted:

Bullshit linkbait is full of bullshit.

On a related note, better go take some sunset pictures before sensors get 5 more stops of dynamic range and everyone starts taking perfect sunset photos every time.

That won't fix lens flares. :ssh:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

linkbait

quote:

Romantic writers expressed a preference for sublimity over attractiveness in the late 18th and 19th centuries. Edmund Burke wrote, “For sublime objects are vast in their dimensions, beautiful ones comparatively small: beauty should be smooth and polished; the great, rugged and negligent … beauty should not be obscure; the great ought to be dark and gloomy: beauty should be light and delicate; the great ought to be solid, and even massive.” The experience of watching a sunset usually counts as sublime. The scene unfolds on a grand scale, loud with color and radiance; you get a shivery feeling of time passing as you sip your G&T; death draws just a bit nearer. Sunset pictures, though, reduce and tame that sublimity. Instead of your mortality rising to meet you, you see pretty colors, locked in a small and tidy moment. It’s as if putting sunsets on film magically relegates them to the same cloying aesthetic category as wildflowers and blonde children—other people’s.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

Last weekend I stashed my Yashica-D in my son's diaper bag so that I didn't have to carry too much junk while we were at a wedding. This week we moved into a new house and I completely lost track of it; my wife believed that she had taken it out of the bag and I had no concept of where it could be. Today I woke up after sleeping off a midnight shift and got a call from her after they were done swimming at a friend's pool:

"We had kind of a poopy afternoon. Max pooped in his swim diaper. When I reached my hand down into the bottom of the diaper bag, I found more poop. I have no idea where it came from. I had to wash the bag and a bunch of stuff in it. Poop kind of got on your camera. You might want to take a toothbrush to it or something."

Sure enough there is poop on my camera. THERE IS POOP ON MY CAMERA.

"I HAD SEX" post spotted.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

That won't fix lens flares. :ssh:

Lens flares are like cherries on a sundae..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A curious blog post:

http://heejennwei.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/pseudo-nature-photographers-of-indonesia.html

Not a huge fan of the way he picks on photographers from a single geographic region, I'm sure this sort of thing goes on just about everywhere, but it's still an interesting topic. Is it good enough for a photo to be a good image, or does the story behind it have to be authentic?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The fact that the animals are quite clearly being abused to tell these dumb "stories" is the most offensive part of it. If you wanna make up some fake story about how you took some dumb picture that's fine, but to treat a living thing like a puppet is a different beast altogether.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The New York Times posts an article about Leicas. Quotes Ken Rockewell, everyone flips out, the leica owners more than everyone.

quote:

Anyone who writes about technology has suffered the ire of Apple, Microsoft and Amazon fans, all coming to the defense of their favorite technology companies. Sometimes, these readers can say some pretty mean things to writers and other people who comment on stories; all, strangely, in defense of a corporation.

But as I learned this week, compared to the photography community, technology fans seem tamer than a sloth.

In a Tool Kit article published on Thursday, I wrote about Leica’s digital cameras, where I noted that hard-core Leica owners “swear by its craftsmanship, lens quality and lack of bells and whistles.”

Within hours of the piece being published online, my in-box filled with vehement messages from all kinds of photographers and camera fans. They took to Twitter and Facebook, too.

The Canon faithful attacked me for not writing a similar profile on Canon cameras, which, they noted that in their opinion are the only camera worth buying. The Nikon owners denounced Leica, calling it a waste. There were even film-camera enthusiasts who came to the defense of film. But none of the comments were more vehement than those of the Leica owners.

Leica owners picked through every detail of the article, many sending long e-mails to complain that the experts I quoted in the article were not really “experts” at all, and that they, the people sending me e-mails and leaving comments, knew more about Leica cameras.

One polite reader, Jack B. Siegel, pointed me to a Leica forum where the article I wrote was on the equivalent of a digital dartboard. When I asked Mr. Siegel, an attorney and photographer, if this was normal, he said that camera owners can be ruthless, even more so than the techies.

“I am endlessly astonished about the rigid and hostile views and arguments over nothing,” he said to me in an e-mail about the photography forums he visits. Mr. Siegel, who is currently writing a book on photography law, noted that photo Web sites have to go to great lengths to stave off angry comments and have a positive discussion.

It turns out he’s right. Passions can rise so high on many of the serious camera Web sites that reviews even come with warnings and disclaimers to readers.

“Basically, I am not interested in comments from those who just want to comment for negativity,” wrote Steve Huff, a photographer and camera reviewer, before he began a lengthy and detailed review of a new Leica camera.

“If you start posting hateful comments that attack me or anyone else here you will be deleted, plain and simple,” Mr. Huff added. “I have a low tolerance for hate, bitterness, jealousy or idiotic comments from people who have no clue what the facts are.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/technology/personaltech/leica-cameras-have-eye-popping-prices-with-photos-to-match.html

Original article

:allears:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 22, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So a guy writes an article heaping praise on Leica cameras, and he still gets Leica owners bitching at him?

What the hell, humanity.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

xzzy posted:

So a guy writes an article heaping praise on Leica cameras, and he still gets Leica owners bitching at him?

What the hell, humanity.

His praise didn't have the Leica glow.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

What the hell, humanity.

Please don't lump humanity and leica owners into the same group

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

Leica owners picked through every detail of the article

:ironicat: Considering that all the internet-warrior Leica owners ever do is pore over the minute details of test charts for proof of Leica-ness (tm). Leica-ness meaning 'who has the better version of the same lens'.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So the subject of cheap cameras and "it's not the quality of the camera that makes the photograph, it's your artistic vision!" came up in the gear thread and ugh this just makes me cringe...

quote:

I am as guilty of it as the next photographer. There's simply far too much attention paid to the technical quality of our images. Ultimately though, this isn't what's important. It's what the photographs are "of" and the vision behind them that makes them succeed or not.

Not a single one of the best photographs that I have ever published, exhibited, or sold stands on its technical merits. Yes, many of them have technical merit, but this isn't what makes them succeed. They would have been worthwhile (to the extent that they are) even if they had been taken with lesser equipment.

In the end you'll end up with some 56KB JPGs which open up to about 300k. That's about 4 X 5" at 72 PPI – what you see above. Now keep in mind that these 4X5" shots are at 72ppi. (I said that – right?). This means that at 240ppi they would print out at about 1.2" X 1.5", about the size of a postage stamp.

But, let's not let that deter us. You've heard of Bicubic Smoother? Well, go for it.

I've made 8X10" FunkyCam prints that actually look quite nice, in a funky kind of way. The above is one such example. I printed it that size on A3 matte paper, and placed it on my print viewing box. My wife, who rarely comments on my work unless asked (she was an Art History Major, and knows what's good for her), walked into my office, saw it, and exclaimed with no irony whatsoever in her voice– Wow, that's one of the best things you've done recently.

I explained that it had been made possible because I'd used a new camera. She rolled her eyes, and asked how much. I told her, and with a smile she replied that in that case she was off to buy a new pair of shoes. Go figure.
:negative:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
If you have an art history major than your opinion on art is the correct one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RangerScum posted:

Might as well get something out of spending all that money, it's not like you get any jobs for the effort.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Wario In Real Life posted:

So the subject of cheap cameras and "it's not the quality of the camera that makes the photograph, it's your artistic vision!" came up in the gear thread and ugh this just makes me cringe...

Why? That's sort of an extreme counterexample, but why does a photo have to be technically perfect for it to be aesthetically pleasing? Is a photograph only good if the camera that took it cost more than $500?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

MrBlandAverage posted:

Why? That's sort of an extreme counterexample, but why does a photo have to be technically perfect for it to be aesthetically pleasing? Is a photograph only good if the camera that took it cost more than $500?
What? Where did I say that?

There's certainly some happy medium between spending 30k on Leica gear for that perfect sharpness and using a 72dpi toy camera made of penny parts. My comments are directly in response to the big chunk of text that I quoted.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

What? Where did I say that?

There's certainly some happy medium between spending 30k on Leica gear for that perfect sharpness and using a 72dpi toy camera made of penny parts. My comments are directly in response to the big chunk of text that I quoted.

Is there something wrong with using a 72dpi toy camera to take pictures? What was it about the quoted text that made you cringe, then?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some folks that use low end cameras are just using another form of gear snobbery. But instead of using idiot words like "lecianess" they brag about how they're better artists because they can produce interesting works with poo poo.

A camera is just a box with a hole in it, people on either side of the fence ought to shut up and spend all their energy worrying about something that matters.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I don't know, there's such a huge disconnect between what photographers and people interested in art think is a good photo and what people who instagram the poo poo out of everything think is a good photo that it's hard to really gauge. I think the average person likes photos they think look pretty (see faux HDR trend) and people who are into art like images that are evocative. Obviously an image can be both or neither, but I think most people will lean one way or the other. A photo can be technically ugly but really evocative, and a photo can be extremely pretty to look at but really shallow and emotionless (see Peter Lik).

That photo of blurry traffic isn't really pretty or evocative so I don't know where the appeal is for anyone, much less someone who has seen and studied a lot of art. It does show how subjective art is and how worthless "objective" criteria is when discussing the quality of a piece, though.

I love Stephen Shore's work but I've shown it to a lot of my friends, including photographers, and they claim it just looks like tourist bullshit (because they are dumb and wrong).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I am 100% in support of digital lo-fi and exploration of the aesthetics of extremity.

RangerScum posted:

*then

Also, being an art history major has no bearing on taste.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:negative:

Why do you think you're correct and they're not?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Ah, yes, the truth... must... be somewhere. in. themiddle.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I don't know, there's such a huge disconnect between what photographers and people interested in art think is a good photo and what people who instagram the poo poo out of everything think is a good photo that it's hard to really gauge
There's also often a massive disconnect between "people interested in art" and photographers. The Art School clique who'll hang a photo of an old shoe and write two hundred words on the photo's social commentary, but turn their noses up at something like world class sports photography.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 25, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's also often a massive disconnect between "people interested in art" and photographers. The Art School clique who'll hang a photo of an old shoe and write two hundred words on the photo's social commentary, but turn their noses up at something like world class sports photography.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Why do you think you're correct and they're not?

In my philosophy of art class in college I learned that good art is the art I like and bad art is the art I don't like and anyone who disagrees has poo poo taste.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

*You're

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I was waiting to see who was going to be That Guy :v:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BONKLERS STRIKE AGAIN

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

This is everything I thought of when I saw the big tricycle in front of the store.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Am I to late too hop on this train?
I blame time-zones.

Also appropriately, for the topic at hand I just finished laying out the sawing pattern for my wooden pinhole camera. :getin:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I CAN SEE FOREVER

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

That Guy used the wrong form of 'then' like ten posts up too.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That Guy used the wrong form of 'then' like ten posts up too.

Well if I have to explain the joke then it isn't funny... I only corrected reichstag as a joke because he had corrected me. Sheesh.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

VomitOnLino posted:

Am I to late too hop on this train?
I blame time-zones.

Also appropriately, for the topic at hand I just finished laying out the sawing pattern for my wooden pinhole camera. :getin:

For a second I read that as "sewing pattern" and now I want to see a textile-based camera.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

A collapsible pinhole camera based on the SX-70 (sans prism/viewfinder) would be really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A fun morning read about corporations going nuts when they get caught infringing copyright:

http://bgzstudios.com/blog/photography/heroes-of-copyright-infringement-the-photographer-litigation-against-syfy/