Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've put almost 2000 miles on my DRZ this year, and it just occurred to me to adjust the shift lever today. Now I don't get stuck in neutral going from 1 to 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

makka-setan posted:

Took it to the track. Somehow I had managed to neglect my brakepads for a long time and I got shot down in scruteneering. Luckily they had an on-site mechanic who fixed me up a new set on the spot. Not cheap, but cheaper than wasting a pre-paid track course.

SMC BKK Arlanda TT?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Finished trying to ghetto that nagging rocker cover leak on the C14. If it doesn't work, I'll live with it for a couple years until I check the valves.

On the bright side, I'd race anybody on taking off C14 bodywork and moving the rad :haw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Currently balls-deep in valve clearances. gently caress you Kawasaki making me drain the coolant to do it.

Turns out my bike has a 'moto-fab' 4 degree ignition advancer fitted. Neat!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

SMC BKK Arlanda TT?

Yup, that's it! I was in the medium/slow group, step 1 with Anders.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
*Finally* managed to track down the intermittent fault in my aftermarket air horn (and simultaneously work out why the positive battery terminal seemed to come adrift enough to set the alarm off at 7am, sorry neighbours).

Basically the battery has a slightly peculiar terminal design - a [-shaped bracket bolts into the terminal itself, then you attach the leads to the top of the bracket with another bolt. It looks like I managed to cross-thread the bottom bolt when I put it in, enough to put the bracket a few degrees out of true, but the tight confines of the bay around it made it feel tight (the battery has two positive and two negative terminals to make installation more flexible, I had to change the terminal I was using because the positive lead just wouldn't quite stretch far enough).

Anyway this meant when I tightened the bolt onto the connectors, the tension on the positive lead and the slight angle meant that there was actually a 2mm or so gap between the top of the bike positive and the head of the bolt - this gap had previously been filled by the positive connector for the horn, but the garage must have reversed that order when they were troubleshooting my earlier woes, making the situation worse - I suppose the horn connector wasn't making enough contact with the bolt to draw the current it needed (it's a slightly wider hole) and it was inevitable the bike positive would eventually come adrift enough to set off the alarm.

Surprisingly there's no evidence of arcing or galvanic damage and the battery seems to have been charging normally, so I think I've dodged a bullet there - a bigger gap could have caused some serious problems.

Anyway, I properly tightened everything up and lesson learned - chase down the silly faults early in case they're symptoms of something much worse.

Oh, also I finally got round to heat-shrinking the external wiring for the horn, replacing the insulating-tape abomination that I previously had used "temporarily".

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I've given my 2003 KLX400 two blood offerings so far. Since buying it I've fit ghetto axle sliders, modified some handguards to fit and changed the grips that went from clear to brown from the previous owners human slime. Still can't legally ride it until the end of the month :(.

Still need to adjust the clutch cable that's so loose the lever has 2cm of play and cut the balls off the levers since they just barely touch the guards. Turns out not being able to ride is a great motivator to find excuses to work on the bike.

Edit: Done, and now I'm running out of poo poo to do.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 20, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I went to install bar end mirrors today.

FUUUUUUCK! Why am I so bad at bikes? poo poo poo poo making GBS threads gently caress god drat it. I mangled my nice new grips for no reason. Any ideas? I'm guessing "fill it with JB Steel Stick and tap that" isn't the right answer.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

That black bit looks like part of the throttle assembly. If it moves when you twist the grip you can cut the end off and that should give you enough room for the expanding bit of the bar end. You'll want to cut it back far enough that you can see a few mm of the bar all the way around anyway, otherwise your throttle will stick.

Edit: Welp.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 23, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ephphatha posted:

That black bit looks like part of the throttle assembly. If it moves when you twist the grip you can cut the end off and that should give you enough room for the expanding bit of the bar end. You'll want to cut it back far enough that you can see a few mm of the bar all the way around anyway, otherwise your throttle will stick.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear. I should have taken a picture of the other side. The hole in the throttle tube is the same as the inner diameter of the bars.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear. I should have taken a picture of the other side. The hole in the throttle tube is the same as the inner diameter of the bars.

What kind of bars do you have??

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Trim down the rubber spacer so it fits in the bar and install.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Rode an RD350 with tuned pipes today. First 7000 rpms, meh feels like any old bike. 8000 rpm, holy gently caress.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Ordered it. :D

2013 Street Triple R ABS in white, with fly screen, belly pan, LED indicators, frame and engine crash protection, heated grips, TPMS, and Arrow slip on coming my way. Hopefully it'll arrive mid next month!

Holy poo poo.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 24, 2013

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Ordered it. :D

2013 Street Triple R ABS in white, with fly screen, belly pan, LED indicators, frame and engine crash protection, heated grips, TPMS, and Arrow slip on coming my way. Hopefully it'll arrive mid next month!

Holy poo poo.

Great choice, I absolutely love mine!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Oil change :toot:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Grabbed a grunge brush from wally world and some dupont chain cleaner / chain lube. Gave that chain a good ol' scrubbin. It's clean now!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I replaced every light bulb due to my aforementioned battery making GBS threads causing the R/R to blow every bulb. I also changed out my rubber-mounted rear turn signals for some classic 70's Honda ones, because the Phoenix heat was causing the rubber ones to literally melt (they were pointed completely downwards after a few weeks of summer heat). I also installed permanent Battery Tender (SAE type 2) pigtails on both motorcycles so I don't run into the battery problem again.

Then I gave the Enfield a weak spraydown, because more dirt actually makes it look better.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I added 1" Gen-Mar spacers to my 2008 Bonneville, makes posture with the rear sets and "m-bars" more upright and more comfortable.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

New plug wires on the EX500, hopefully this'll cure the bogging down and missing when it rains.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Digital_Jesus posted:

Grabbed a grunge brush from wally world and some dupont chain cleaner / chain lube. Gave that chain a good ol' scrubbin. It's clean now!

Did the same thing to my bike. I think the PO never ever bothered to clean his chain, he just globbed more and more lube on there. No wonder it needed a new chain at ~20.000km.

One hell of a mess with kerosene and a brush later and at least it's clean now. I put on a nice healthy coat of SAE50, hopefully any grit that's left on and in the chain will be flung off soon.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bike's been sitting for over a month now, finally got the chance to idle some seafoam and new gas through it today. Filed the claim last week but there's not been a peep yet from those assholes, so it might be sitting for quite a while longer. :smith:

e: on the plus side, I did find a mildly twisty road to and from the shop that'll be fixing my bike :)

M42 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 25, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Sat down to really work on why my horn was intermittently failing then stopped altogether. Traced the whole system all the way from the battery to the horn, opening up joins and re-soldering them, even replacing the crimp on the positive terminal.

Finally got down to the relay, which had shifted a bit until it was resting on the side of the front cylinder. Unpicked all my previous tidying up and discovered the plastic had melted and water had got in, rusting the whole thing solid. Why the gently caress I didn't check that first I don't know.

Got it working just in time for the rain to come and mean that I've basically been housebound by rain and bike maintenance for two of the three days of the long weekend. And I'm babysitting tomorrow. Bugger. Little sod (my nephew) doesn't even like motorbikes. I wonder if his mum will notice if I swap him for the neighbour's grandson who goes mental and demands I rev the engine every time he sees me?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my forks and adding Race Tech gold valves on the GS700 but was stuck when I found out not one but both of my forks had dings and huge loving scratches on the chrome.
Luckily a WTB ad on Thegsresources got me a set of forks within 20 minutes. I also grabbed a fender that has actual paint on it! Not bad for $80 and a quick ride to Costa Mesa. I just need to get my motivation back and go finish putting it all together.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 26, 2013

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Bugdrvr posted:

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my forks and adding Race Tech gold valves on the GS700 but was stuck when I found out not one but both of my forks had dings and huge loving scratches on the chrome.
Luckily a WTB ad on Thegsresources got me a set of forks within 20 minutes. I also grabbed a fender that has actual paint on it! Not bad for $80 and a quick ride to Costa Mesa. I just need to get my motivation back and go finish putting it all together.

GSR never fails. Sup, GS buddy?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Carbs back on the Honda, started her up and went for a quick squidly ride around the neighborhood.

Man, the difference between it and my Bandit seem even more ludicrous. Time to polish it up and sell the old gal.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Tamir Lenk posted:

GSR never fails. Sup, GS buddy?

That really is a great site. I've spent hours reading about my bike and all of the other GSs too. I now want an 8V 750, an 1150 and a few air cooled GSXRs.

Think there's a good few GS riders floating around here now. I'm approaching year five of GS ownership and still have fun messing with it. They are great bikes.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Recently went to buy a T-Rex headstock stand off CL (for $40!) and it turned out the guy used to have like five SV650s, so I walked away with rearsets (much needed clearance for the track), fresh clipons, unused tank pads, unused swingarm spools, and a bunch of fluids he didn't want for $20 on top of the $40. It's pretty rare to find an actual riding enthusiast in this part of the country, so it was an awesome surprise to be able to shoot the poo poo with a stranger for once.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

Recently went to buy a T-Rex headstock stand off CL (for $40!) and it turned out the guy used to have like five SV650s, so I walked away with rearsets (much needed clearance for the track), fresh clipons, unused tank pads, unused swingarm spools, and a bunch of fluids he didn't want for $20 on top of the $40. It's pretty rare to find an actual riding enthusiast in this part of the country, so it was an awesome surprise to be able to shoot the poo poo with a stranger for once.

Nice, good deals there.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Found the short in my gauge cluster. I also found out that I can disassemble the front end with only the underseat toolkit. Pretty nifty. Turns out one of the turn signal wires was chafing. That'll teach me to use turn signals, I guess.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Sigh...guess the patch stuck to the tire as well as the tube. Luckily I had a new one. Hooliganed around the city park anf golf course when I was done.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Briefly considered setting it on fire.

Boyfriend is away in another state for work this week and after a training session on his motorbike last week I finally psyched myself up to take my first fully unsupervised trip out to the local stores today. (I'm a UK goon who is used to sitting upright on a Honda CB500 on British roads, not a Kawasaki Vulcan on Texas roads. It took a lot of psyching.) I go to switch it on and am met with a familiar "not quite turning over, not quite turning over... bzzzzzzt." Starter relay so I am 99% sure it's a dead or dying battery. We had it do this on the day I test rode it and managed to eventually bring it to life, but this time it's refusing to go.

It's the same thing I had happen with my CB before I bought a new battery for it. :toot: I either manage to drain batteries by looking at them or it's another underlying issue from when he had it stored for a few years. I am seriously looking forward to being able to buy myself a nice new little sports bike.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Found the short in my gauge cluster. I also found out that I can disassemble the front end with only the underseat toolkit. Pretty nifty. Turns out one of the turn signal wires was chafing. That'll teach me to use turn signals, I guess.

Almost found the short. Battery is dead flat now. It's been on the tender for 12 hours and still reads "charging." I assume that being warm and bubbling is a good thing, though. It's not hot yet and it is offgassing, just like on initial charge, so I'm hoping it's just toast. I'm getting use of a multimeter tomorrow to investigate further.

Still had to take the battery out at 0600 this morning after it failed to push-start.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sock Weasel posted:

It's the same thing I had happen with my CB before I bought a new battery for it. :toot: I either manage to drain batteries by looking at them or it's another underlying issue from when he had it stored for a few years. I am seriously looking forward to being able to buy myself a nice new little sports bike.

When did it come out of storage and was the battery in it the whole time? If you store a bike battery for more than a few months without a tender it'll often crank a few more times and then die completely. If it's the battery that was stored, just replace it. Batteries are cheap on Amazon.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

It would have come out of storage around April. I know it was properly winterized before he left and had a full service when he brought it out of storage, but I'm not sure what's been done with the battery. Buying and fitting a new battery for it is no big deal, it's just a pain in the rear end since this bike is my only method of transport when he's away with work. I'll get the full run-down on it this weekend.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Almost found the short. Battery is dead flat now. It's been on the tender for 12 hours and still reads "charging." I assume that being warm and bubbling is a good thing, though. It's not hot yet and it is offgassing, just like on initial charge, so I'm hoping it's just toast. I'm getting use of a multimeter tomorrow to investigate further.

Still had to take the battery out at 0600 this morning after it failed to push-start.

Nope. Battery is 100% shot. It exploded when I tried to start. Sprayed acid all over the frame and harness on one side. I got it rinsed down pretty well, but I'll have to keep an eye on it, especially since I'm on an ocean beach and EVERYTHING is rusting as I watch it.

Got it jumpstarted OK, kept it running while I made my way over to a multimeter. 14.44V at idle, 14.46V at 3k-10k, holds steady.

I was riding down to Batteries Plus to get a new battery when I rode past a shop with a dude wrenching on a bike on a lift right there. So I pulled over, left it running, and explained the situation. He said "yeah, we've probably got something, shut it off and we'll see." So I shut it off, popped the seat, and he said "I got that size, but it's gonna take me an hour or so to get a surface charge on it to get you on your way. Lemme get a screwdriver and we'll get this one inside..."
I popped out the battery (third time today) and walked inside before he made it back to the tool rack. "Hey cool, self-service. Nice. Ok, let's see what we got going on here..." 9.75V open circuit. Fried chicken dead.

Turns out the dude had an AGM from his personal bike floating on the charger behind him that he was willing to install to get me goin, and I'd buy a battery and they'd call me when it came in and was charged. I gave the guy a solid down payment on the same battery, and he said "ya know what, that battery is from my bike. It's AGM, less than a year old, it's yours if you want it with no warranty." Dude. Sold. Solid.

They also do chain-and-sprocket replacement kit deals. A DID X-ring, JT front and rear sprockets in whatever flavor you want, $300 out the door. That's a good price in my book, and I don't have to dick around with not having torque wrenches handy. I'll be back in a couple weeks. I think I found a new brick-and-mortar motorcycle shop worth a drat.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I feel like I'm missing something, batteries are definitely not supposed to explode when they're bad. It sounds like the positive terminal was grounding on the frame, or the two terminals were shorted together somehow.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

AncientTV posted:

I feel like I'm missing something, batteries are definitely not supposed to explode when they're bad. It sounds like the positive terminal was grounding on the frame, or the two terminals were shorted together somehow.

It's been going bad for a while. Losing electrolyte, etc. I'm sure it's been boiling from not enough acid. I filled it up from dry plates in a couple cells with just distilled water. It had to last me for this trip plus one week. Step 1, yes. Step 2, not so much.

I kept telling people it didn't explode, it just violently dumped the top two inches of water off the top in one event. "Oh, so it exploded?" Yeah, ok, I guess so. There wasn't any fire or anything.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Took the spark arrestor out of the Yoshimura on the drz today to see if had any effect on my oversized pilot jet. It didn't, but goddamn does it sound hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Somebody stole my DRZ today.