Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I just dug out my Intuos3 stylus only to find that the rubber on the top half toward the eraser is decaying and becoming sticky. I searched around a bit, but the only thing people had to say was wrap tape around it. Anyone have a better idea of how to clean it or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not unless you just scour it back down to unaffected rubber, and who knows how deep it goes.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Augh poo poo gently caress. My pen's been acting flakey since yesterday, (the Turcom/Uicom/Cheapo). For the past 4 months it was amazing, until yesterday, (started drawing before I touched the tablet, hovering over menus flickered them on/off, and or selected them for me instantly.).

I changed the battery, that didn't change much.

Tonight, it poo poo the bed. And I have NO clue how to remove it and put a new one in. The pen shipped with ten extra nibs, and complete instructions in Korean AND Chinese, so, gently caress me.

Anybody know how to change out this mother? I've searched google, and can't find an answer.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

keyframe posted:

Got a Intuos 5 small yesterday and liking it a lot. I am going to go pick up a wireless kit for it today and I fully expect that to be the best thing since the invention of Nutella.

edit: oh my god this is the best thing :pcgaming:

Can you comment on how the touch screen helps out? I've got an Intuos 4 and was wondering if it was one of those things that after you use it, you can't believe you ever worked without it (like the jump from mouse to pen tablet in the first place).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

magnificent7 posted:

Augh poo poo gently caress. My pen's been acting flakey since yesterday, (the Turcom/Uicom/Cheapo). For the past 4 months it was amazing, until yesterday, (started drawing before I touched the tablet, hovering over menus flickered them on/off, and or selected them for me instantly.).

I changed the battery, that didn't change much.

Tonight, it poo poo the bed. And I have NO clue how to remove it and put a new one in. The pen shipped with ten extra nibs, and complete instructions in Korean AND Chinese, so, gently caress me.

Anybody know how to change out this mother? I've searched google, and can't find an answer.

Just yank it out mang. It's only set in there with friction. Should have came with a little clamp tool, but any small set of pliers or tweezers will do. Then shove a new one back in, flat end is usually the one that goes in, because you draw with the pointy side.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ACanofPepsi posted:

Just yank it out mang. It's only set in there with friction. Should have came with a little clamp tool, but any small set of pliers or tweezers will do. Then shove a new one back in, flat end is usually the one that goes in, because you draw with the pointy side.
Thanks - I figured that all out about 2 hours later. Apparently, banging the thing on a table in frustration REALLY fucks up the pressure sensitivity. Luckily, I still have like 4 levels of pressure to remind me that pens aren't people and smacking them around doesn't make them act right. Sigh. Ordered another one. I think I need to re-install the driver as well since it was acting all bananas before any of that.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Do any of you guys here use a peasant-teir-tiny-as-heck cheapass tablet for their arts?

I recently have been gifted a dinky Wacom Pen & Touch. Its size makes using it kind of a turn off, along with the fact that it's my first tablet and having to look up at a computer screen to draw rather than down at a piece of paper seems like a huge thing to get used to for me. I'm just not seeing how anybody can make beautiful works of art with smaller tablets, most of the bigguys in digital art I see now days basically seem to have giant touch screen tablets that they blew 3000$ on or something. Lines are hard to make the way I want them to be. I can never land a stroke on the right spot with it. I'm just guessing it's something somebody has to get used to?

Show me something good looking made from somebody using a small tablet to give me courage, goons.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 30, 2013

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
The daily deal on Monoprice today is an 8" x 6" tablet for 35bux.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Imapanda posted:

Do any of you guys here use a peasant-teir-tiny-as-heck cheapass tablet for their arts?

I recently have been gifted a dinky Wacom Pen & Touch. Its size makes using it kind of a turn off, along with the fact that it's my first tablet and having to look up at a computer screen to draw rather than down at a piece of paper seems like a huge thing to get used to for me. I'm just not seeing how anybody can make beautiful works of art with smaller tablets, most of the bigguys in digital art I see now days basically seem to have giant touch screen tablets that they blew 3000$ on or something. Lines are hard to make the way I want them to be. I can never land a stroke on the right spot with it. I'm just guessing it's something somebody has to get used to?

Show me something good looking made from somebody using a small tablet to give me courage, goons.
I've been meaning to try this for myself. Someone I know has got an Intuos 3 just sitting around, the smallest model made. But I haven't gotten around to borrowing it yet.

Unless yours has got some specific accuracy/tracking faults, I don't see why it shouldn't work. Tweak and adjust settings endlessly, getting a comfortable workflow is drat important. The most important bit of advice someone gave me here was, make decisive, sweeping lines. That would mean covering all of the tablet's working area, and heavy use of rotate/zoom functions so the display matches.

There is some serious learning curve, especially if it's your first tablet. For a while you'll be fighting the interface more than creating any real art. Just keep at it, keep practicing and adjusting. Looking at others' control schemes might help, here's mine:

right hand - stylus: thumbswitch mapped to pen/erase, eraser button never used
left hand - keyboard: space to pan, r to toggle rotate, 1 for mirror, 2 and 3 for zoom in/out, ctrl+alt+drag adjusts line thickness

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Imapanda posted:

Do you mean a bamboo? Because those are actually really nice for being so cheap. A lot of the people on the forums have them. I'm not comfortable with the disconnect either, but I did have one for a little while to try out (and to try to make a mini cintiq, which almost worked). I turned off the touch screen capability on it, since that messed up the ability to just draw. But it would have been nice to draw on if I had gotten used to it.

You might also have to disable a few background processes if you're having trouble with lag, depending on what version of windows you're running.

I don't think macs have any problems with touch pad drivers.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 30, 2013

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

MY ABACUS! posted:

I just dug out my Intuos3 stylus only to find that the rubber on the top half toward the eraser is decaying and becoming sticky. I searched around a bit, but the only thing people had to say was wrap tape around it. Anyone have a better idea of how to clean it or something?

If it's any help, many of the other pens work with the Intuos3. I had exactly that model and was immensely put off by the fuckhuge heavy pen. I checked on amazon and bought some slim alternative for an older/different model. Maybe Bamboo? (*Just guessing this, you need to check for yourself!*)
That was a very good choice, as those pens weigh half of the Intuos3 one and don't feel like drawing with a dildo.

Imapanda posted:

Small tablets are great, it all comes down to your drawing style. I actually mapped some programs to a smaller tablet area because I practically draw with my wrist only. I was having massive problems though like you getting strokes right - I drew and ctrl-z'd like ten times often. It sucked very much.
I guess that's a personal thing again, you might want to ask other people too as I feel no one else has that problem.

I did however receive my Cintiq HD13 today and am starting to get the hang of it. To everyone for which everything worked right away, congrats! For me, it was a bit daunting and terrifying to really have that power in my hands and not being able to blame things on the hand-eye detach anymore.

I like it a lot actually. First look was pretty sobering because a.) given this is made by Wacom, there is NEVER a way it will run without hitches/reboots/several re-installations of everything, and b.) the screen is not good. Well, cheapest model and all, but the colors are bad, the contrast is bad, and it looks really bad in a dual monitor setup with something more decent. On the upside, the vaseline effect and yellow tint is probably good for your eyes. Also, the lag is almost not there, and the parallax is pretty OK to live with.

A question, if I may: Does anyone have a 2D traditional animation program they might recommend? I tried Pencil because it's free, but there's no Win7 version and the software just glitches and shits the bed all the time. Not fun.
I'm not looking to shell out hundreds, but I'd be fine with a modestly priced program even, not necessarily freeware. Thanks if anyone can help!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Corels sketchpad program that came with my Intuos 4 was pretty nice for sketching (better than painter 12) but sadly that too was an unstable piece of poo poo that hadn't been updated in like forever.

It's weird how the medium Intuos feels both too small and too big to bother drawing with as often as Id like, perhaps the broad-rear end and useless plastic "frame" around the drawing surface is to blame?

Between that and some clunky quirks of painter 12 I'm looking at getting/trying Painter X3 (which is 13, right?), which I hear have an improved UI. Anyone tried it yet?

e: Manga Studios 5 does seem attractive, compared on price-point and my most likely use (more lineart than water/oil painting). The EX version seems much more expensive for dubious improvement, only turn-off is the Physical Only deal :iiam:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 3, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Would you like a 20" IPS 4K(3,840 x 2,560) pen enabled tablet with 8Gb of RAM running a Windows OS? Got 6k lying around?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/panasonics-20-inch-4k-tablet/

I don't think it's Wacom tech inside, the stylus is "a Bluetooth-enabled optical Anoto Live Pen with a six-hour battery life and palm rejection. No idea what an Optical Anoto pen is.

EDIT: Anoto Live Pen!

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 5, 2013

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
So for $6000 you get an i5, 4gb RAM, and a 128gb SSD?

Am I missing something? It's a nice screen and all, but it's also 6 grand.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yip Yips posted:

So for $6000 you get an i5, 4gb RAM, and a 128gb SSD?

Am I missing something? It's a nice screen and all, but it's also 6 grand.

The IPS screen itself would be pretty nice for creative types, and maybe it can be used as an external monitor as well (weird feature), but combining such a nice screen with limiting tablet tech seems weird. How hot would an i5 run while constantly updating all those pixels? A Surface with an i5 already runs pretty hot at 1920x1080, but a 20" tablet has a lot more room to breathe.

Seems like a total waste without Wacom or UC Logic stylus. Would 4k resolution crammed into 20" even be good for art? What happens when you zoom to 2500% in Photoshop? Does that stupid pixel grid appear but weird?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on the pen. If that doesn't work well then the thing is entirely useless for their target audience.

But it's such an odd product. A 20-inch 5lb tablet is going to be a bitch to carry around and unless the 4k is a must I'd personally rather have a PC and Cintiq. Hell, you could buy a new PC, a Cintiq 24HD, and a Cintiq Companion all for about the cost of one of these.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just checked out that Cintiq Companion and :drat:

Too bad it's gonna be like $2500 here for the basic Windows variant :negative:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Quick question - what is the difference between a DRAWING tablet and a GRAPHICS tablet?

I'm looking to get another Monoprice tablet, and they've got two separate categories. It don't make no sense.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=tablet

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

Quick question - what is the difference between a DRAWING tablet and a GRAPHICS tablet?

I'm looking to get another Monoprice tablet, and they've got two separate categories. It don't make no sense.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=tablet

Latest reviews from the guy who popularized the monoprice are saying to go with Huion now.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Latest reviews from the guy who popularized the monoprice are saying to go with Huion now.
Ahhhh. Good to know. Updated my plans. I thought at some point he explained that they're all from the same company? Must not be.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
They all use UC-Logic pen digitizer tech but that's it.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Good news, everyone - looks like Adobe just released a fix for the bug in Flash CC which made graphics tablets pretty much unusable on the Windows 8 version, for a lot of people. Basically when you started drawing, it would ignore pen motion until the pen was a certain distance away from the start of the stroke, and then just draw a straight line. Good job Adobe :catstare:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Howdy Tablet Thread,

For the last three years I've been using the Wacom Graphire4 6x8 tablet, but no longer work for the company who owns it. Looks like to get one used it'd cost me about $70.

Considering it's an older model, have they done anything to improve tablets over the years that should make me reconsider just buying the model I'm familiar with? Particularly around the $60-$100 range.

Thanks.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

EatinCake posted:

Howdy Tablet Thread,

For the last three years I've been using the Wacom Graphire4 6x8 tablet, but no longer work for the company who owns it. Looks like to get one used it'd cost me about $70.

Considering it's an older model, have they done anything to improve tablets over the years that should make me reconsider just buying the model I'm familiar with? Particularly around the $60-$100 range.

Thanks.

Wacom made me mad when I bought a $200 dollar Bamboo (the high end of the lower end models, I think the cheapest is $50) and I was convinced that I was just terrible at using a tablet until I bought a Monoprice for a quarter of the cost. I'm still bad at drawing, but it's not the tablet's fault now. If you're going to get a Wacom, get an Intuos, otherwise check Ray Frenden's tablet reviews. I can't speak for the latest model he's got up, but I love my Monoprice and they're incredibly cheap for what you get. The drivers suck to install though and I'm not a huge fan of either of the pens I've used. Still, I feel like I'm drawing instead of drawing on a tablet and that overrides everything else.

Intuos = still good from what I hear, Bamboo = bad.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Bamboo = bad.
There was nothing wrong with the old Bamboos, before they had touch. Sad to hear they went downhill.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Here's some crap I've learned.

1. Turcom tablets are Huion? I suppose? I have a Turcom H610, and I was about to replace it until I saw that Huion makes the H610 and a search for Turcom drivers takes me to the Huion driver page, and that driver works.

2. And this is important: MONOPRICE and TURCOM/HUION name their Pentablet app the same thing, but they do not act as drivers for either/or. I had to uninstall the driver and install the Huion/Turcom version. (I have both - one at home, one at the office. I'm balling yo.)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Intuos = still good from what I hear, Bamboo = bad.

Note though that Wacom has changed the names around now so that Bamboo is Intuos and Intuos is Intuos Pro.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pimpmust posted:

Note though that Wacom has changed the names around now so that Bamboo is Intuos and Intuos is Intuos Pro.

What the gently caress. That's not how you maintain a product line you idiots.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

I thought you were joking. Now I think Wacom is joking.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Wacom hasn't been making very good decisions for some time now, unfortunately.

The market is so ripe for the taking that I can't believe we have yet to get an offering from another big-timer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Basically Wacom is the big name and everything else is marketed like crap. Decent alternatives have always been there, but unless you're going to do any research you're not going to find one.

In the same vein as "nobody was ever fired for buying IBM"..

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
So seriously, is the HD 13 unusable for color work?

I've been trying to get decent greens by calibrating everything, but no dice. I've tried this site and used the same image on a PS Vita as a reference, which is pretty well known for its quality screen.

Whatever my settings, there will never be a true cyan, all greens remain with a yellow tint, and the image generally is mottled and low-contrast.

Given this is a mass product with a standardized screen, I'm just baffled. Am I doing everything wrong, is everyone else doing color work just fine on it and I just missed a secret switch? Or did I seriously just throw 1000 bucks out of the window?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I am convinced that all Cintiqs are color-hosed. I have used several models and the color on them is ALWAYS WRONG. :argh:

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
So with, uh, pretty much all the big artists using them, what is the usual workaround? Set up second monitor and mirror?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yup. Also, curse God every day.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
AUGH.

Somebody tell me. How can I disable the ben buttons? I'm using a Turcom/Huion tablet, and a pen. My thumb keeps clicking the buttons on the pen - from years of using Sharpies... out of habit I slightly rotate the pen in my fingers with every stroke. I've disabled the buttons in the PenTablet app, but accidental clicks still causes crap to happen.

Help me. Help. I'd wrap it in duct tape if I thought that would work.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
A contest to win an Intuos5 touch popped up on my twitter feed. It took me about a minute to parse what the product actually was and then when I went to the website to see if I was correct I wasn't. Bamboo is now Intuos, Intuos 5 is now Intuos Pro, so what happens when a company describes a product as an Intuos 5 with another word that matches up with the not professional line? The contest thing was through a third party, but I still can't believe how confusing this is.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm still not sure if they call Intuos Pro "5" or just Intuos Pro, but it seems like the latter.

Will the next gen be Intuos Pro 2 if that's the case?

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Pimpmust posted:

I'm still not sure if they call Intuos Pro "5" or just Intuos Pro, but it seems like the latter.

Will the next gen be Intuos Pro 2 if that's the case?

Inthreeos Pro phi.

I picked up an Asus EEE note a little bit ago. It's a really nice idea that never got the love and versioning it really needed. One of the cool things is that it doubles as a digitizer on Windows machines. It's the older bastard cousin of the Wacom Companion Hybrid. My only real complaint is that I haven't found a way to adjust the pressure curve to suit my style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Inthreeos Pro phi.

I picked up an Asus EEE note a little bit ago. It's a really nice idea that never got the love and versioning it really needed. One of the cool things is that it doubles as a digitizer on Windows machines. It's the older bastard cousin of the Wacom Companion Hybrid. My only real complaint is that I haven't found a way to adjust the pressure curve to suit my style.
Oh yeah, I used to have one of those. Have you messed around with the software on it yet? There's a great little community for it here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/

It runs Linux and the software is Qt-based, so if you have Linux experience and C++ ability you can do all kinds of fun stuff.
Once you get the package manager running, if you want you can try the drawing app I jury-rigged for it: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus-eee-line/47605-neeeondraw-modified-sketching-app-eeenote.html

The source code is there on the last page of that thread.

Here are some drawings I made with the program: