Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

like they literally sought out and checked the box "don't disable screensaver during playback" instead of just leaving it alone.

i wonder if that includes power saving, because i dont use a screen saver just the power off feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if u watch netflix on your desktop OS

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
we have a wdtv but sometimes we wind up watching in the computer room because nerds lol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if you dont own your own house and are king of the TV

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

just lol if your speakers dont do at the minimum 20-22K hertz comfortably without the need of a subwoofer or EQ adjustment

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if your poo poo isn't calibrated to rec.709 at ^E less than 2

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if you mkv

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

lol if you dont own your own house and are king of the TV

who said we were forced to watch things on the computar

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

just lol if your speakers dont do at the minimum 20-22K hertz comfortably without the need of a subwoofer or EQ adjustment

i bought a subwoofer to go with my incredibly cheap shielded speakers

turns out that when i had the crossover tuned to where i liked it, the sub never fires unless there's an explosion on screen

glad i bought a special speaker for explosions :unsmith:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

working as intended then

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

hitze posted:

working as intended then

no, ur supposed to hear voices coming out of it!! why would you buy a speaker to only hear it once in a while!!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i calibrated teh spekers 2 my spot on the couch, -... others dont know i getting teh superior vieiwng xperiance. :coal:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

i calibrated teh spekers 2 my spot on the couch, -... others dont know i getting teh superior vieiwng xperiance. :coal:

lol if your receiver cant calibrate for multiple listening positions

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
y bother lol

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
are there tv's out there which don't suck dick? wondering where those might start at, cause i don't think i've seen anyone mention what's actually good

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

get a sorny tarnitan. almost as good as sony and a lot cheaper

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

y bother lol

not like u have friends coming over

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Lol at all the WRong chat itt

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

In 5.1 or greater there is a sweet spot. You can't calibrate for multiple zones without sacrificing the sweet spot.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

All tvs that have "modes" are terrible.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Any TV that is the brightest it more colorful in the show room floor is wrong and bad.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Movie theatres are around 300:1 to 500:1 contrast ratio in 60,000$ barco projectors so why in the duck do you need one million to one dynamic contrast?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Rec.709 is a poo poo standard and you will hate it if you could even calibrate your display to it

Kill you are self basically.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

Movie theatres are around 300:1 to 500:1 contrast ratio in 60,000$ barco projectors so why in the duck do you need one million to one dynamic contrast?

it helps when you can black out the viewing area tbf

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

no, ur supposed to hear voices coming out of it!! why would you buy a speaker to only hear it once in a while!!!

this is what happens when you buy a bose system. bose is trash but people are fooled by their marketing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

spankmeister posted:

this is what happens when you buy a bose system. bose is trash but people are fooled by their marketing.

this is true of most small surround systems. bose just charges more for it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

we have the entire adp/extreme music catalog available to use, lets use smooth jazz, the only genre of music to never produce something good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
lol at having good sounding speakers. if you watch anything with actual dynamic range you're going to sit there terrified that your upstair/downstair neighbors will call the cops on you

watched 2001 last weekend and had to turn it up and down between the dialog/music sequences

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
lol at having fancy speakers where you cant use them

just lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

chumpchous posted:

lol at having good sounding speakers. if you watch anything with actual dynamic range you're going to sit there terrified that your upstair/downstair neighbors will call the cops on you

watched 2001 last weekend and had to turn it up and down between the dialog/music sequences

i h8 this krappola. my remote is glued 2 my hand b/c im addicted to crazy courtesy

i also use headphones most of the time b.c otherwise its "SMYTHE TURN THAT drat TV DOWN" every 2 mins :qq: or even *bursts into living room in bathrobe w/ makeup half applied* "WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOI!?"!?!?!?!" fml just fml

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
maybe people should stop being so mad about a little noise and vibrations and enjoy the fact someone else is livin the YVCPOS lief

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

YHTPOS bithc

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if someones complaining about my noise the speakers were already loud enough to pulverize my body

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

chumpchous posted:

12dB dynamic range isnt that much.

like speech is 60dB and guns are like 140dB. Imagine if it was like real life?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if you have to sit on the volume control because your speakers are so bad.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

chumpchous posted:

lol if you live in such a tiny apartment you worry about your neighbors

always have a buffer floor between you and the next unit

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

chumpchous posted:

we have the entire adp/extreme music catalog available to use, lets use smooth jazz, the only genre of music to never produce something good

can you imagine how defeated a musician must feel to not even be writing smooth jazz, but be employed by Muzak and have to write similar-sounding knockoffs to 'popular' smooth jazz to have played at nouveau-riche botique shops

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
nah the people who do knock off music have it really good. they're actual musicians who can play/imitate most styles unlike the 'talent' because they actually know what they're doing. it's almost all tongue-in-cheeck and they most likely have an awesome time making fun of terrible smooth/acid jazz

the people who do that poo poo dont sit down thinking 'this is an artistic work.' they sit down and think 'hell yeah lets imitate this kenny g fucker for money' and because they're actually good at music they succeed

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

truf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
when you put it that way, i guess that would be a pretty awesome gig to just gently caress around with during the day and make friends with skillz and jam out after work with some 4:20 and prolly live pretty happy

• Locked thread