Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Sequential-screenshot Sunday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdCSzFrQRsU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Something I'm working on for 1GAM: Futility RPG, an RPG where you are filling out a never-ending character sheet but never get to actually play the game

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

retro sexual posted:

Something I'm working on for 1GAM: Futility RPG, an RPG where you are filling out a never-ending character sheet but never get to actually play the game

OMG as a fan of stupidly complicated RPGs, I want to play this.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Add a stat for anal circumference and you have F.A.T.A.L: the videogame

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
I'm doing Ludum Dare right now and I'm going loving loopy from lack of sleep / it's been a long week, but I just threw some fresh elements into the game and ran it and hotdang it's actually coming together really well.

That's gotta be one of the best moments in making a game where you just try some poo poo and the outcome actually takes you by surprise.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

retro sexual posted:

I seriously cannot wait to link this to my rpg enjoying friends.

Also getting near the final submission time, anybody else have their LD game up for me to try? Mine can be found here for anyone who enjoys games like snake: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=21627

fake edit: the chaos engine that looks amazing

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

the chaos engine posted:

I'm doing Ludum Dare right now and I'm going loving loopy from lack of sleep / it's been a long week, but I just threw some fresh elements into the game and ran it and hotdang it's actually coming together really well.

That's gotta be one of the best moments in making a game where you just try some poo poo and the outcome actually takes you by surprise.
This looks awesome even for a non-jam game. What's going on here?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Hey, guys, hot top: don't forget to put your run-time-loaded shaders in Resources or you'll be very confused for like 3 hours!

(e: That lighthouse game looks bitchin')

Unormal fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 26, 2013

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Orzo posted:

This looks awesome even for a non-jam game. What's going on here?

Creeps spawn on the right, try to attack the lighthouse on the left. When the lighthouse beacon shines it lasts for 10 seconds (which is the LD theme, "10 seconds") and it attracts dolphins that carry turrets and bombs that the player can grab and place onto the island, into fox holes, to get their defenses up. It's basically Plants vs Zombies except instead of currency to buy defenses it's about time and grabbing stuff quickly.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I decided to try something for Ludum, mostly as an excuse to make some music and because I'd never made anything in Haxepunk.

Various technical difficulties (it took me hours to figure out how to get sound playback working) sidetracked me from adding in things like "gameplay", but as a learning exercise I'm pretty happy with it, and it gave me some good ideas for the future.

http://discolingua.com/hell_pizza/
Ludum link

(Incidentally, if anybody is looking for a music/audio person to collab with for various projects, please do hit me up)

h_double fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the chaos engine posted:

This looks great! How's the art done? 2D? 3D? Hand drawn? Painted polygons?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I just finished an incredibly stupid game for Ludum Dare

http://bordenjardine.github.io/ten_seconds/

E: Gunna leave this here http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=26873

MSPain fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 26, 2013

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

SynthOrange posted:

This looks great! How's the art done? 2D? 3D? Hand drawn? Painted polygons?

Thanks! I always loved the style in 3D (and Skipping Stones was a major influence here) so I wondered if I could emulate it. It's basically just going into photoshop and making shapes with the lasso tool, then adding more shapes inside the shapes, all at sharp angles.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

MSPain posted:

Is it possible to score points?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

MSPain posted:

E: Gunna leave this here http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=26873
After playing this three times trying to figure out what to do, I realized that the title was literal and laughed.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

the chaos engine posted:

Thanks! I always loved the style in 3D (and Skipping Stones was a major influence here) so I wondered if I could emulate it. It's basically just going into photoshop and making shapes with the lasso tool, then adding more shapes inside the shapes, all at sharp angles.

So they aren't really polygons? Nutty.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

h_double posted:

Is it possible to score points?

It is pointless.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

FuzzySlippers posted:

So they aren't really polygons? Nutty.

Wish they were, the whole thing would feel way more alive.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Stations can now be... destroyed!

Truly chaos.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ship needs to shake and the redgreenshirt thrown back!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Cross post, hoooo! This is what I've been working on for five months or so. It's Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora, and now I can actually show it off a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TKPdqR79lM

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Cross post, hoooo! This is what I've been working on for five months or so. It's Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora, and now I can actually show it off a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TKPdqR79lM
Best of luck on your KS campaign. Video looks great, I've been following your dev videos from the beginning and it really looks like it's coming together.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So here's a general IAP question, when implementing a coin-based economy in a game, once someone buys the coins and then uses them to unlock, say, a new car in a racing game or some such is there any way for them to recover that in-game purchase if the game is deleted off the device? I've never bought anything other than the odd coin doubler in F2P games but I know there are plenty of games that have economies like that so...are users just poo poo out of luck if they lose that save?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Yodzilla posted:

So here's a general IAP question, when implementing a coin-based economy in a game, once someone buys the coins and then uses them to unlock, say, a new car in a racing game or some such is there any way for them to recover that in-game purchase if the game is deleted off the device? I've never bought anything other than the odd coin doubler in F2P games but I know there are plenty of games that have economies like that so...are users just poo poo out of luck if they lose that save?

Generally there isn't a way to restore consumable purchases. Non-consumables are easily restored however. You would have to track what people spent their consumable purchases on in the game and also take that away when trying to restore them, hence it not really being feasible.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah other than having them log in to some third-party service you provide and/or relying on iCloud to work it seems like a lost cause. For some reason I found myself thinking about mobile game economies this morning, no idea why.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah other than having them log in to some third-party service you provide and/or relying on iCloud to work it seems like a lost cause. For some reason I found myself thinking about mobile game economies this morning, no idea why.
You generally want to back a F2P game up with some kind of database that stores purchases. It's useful for restoration, obviously, but also for whatever cross-device parity is allowable, etc. It's a lot of work for a small studio, though.

Worst case, design your game such that it hits a database at load, hands over a UID, and asks "do you need me to do anything". Make it so you can add UID-specific currency blobs into the database that act as one-shot currency adjusts. Once it's been used, remove from database.

Then, when you get that "hey I bought all this poo poo and I lost it OMG HELP!" email, you get their UID, add a currency chunk equivalent to whatever they lost, and then they're set. It's a little annoying, but you'll win massive points with your users, and still less annoying than maintaining a full back-end.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Shalinor posted:

You generally want to back a F2P game up with some kind of database that stores purchases. It's useful for restoration, obviously, but also for whatever cross-device parity is allowable, etc. It's a lot of work for a small studio, though.

Worst case, design your game such that it hits a database at load, hands over a UID, and asks "do you need me to do anything". Make it so you can add UID-specific currency blobs into the database that act as one-shot currency adjusts. Once it's been used, remove from database.

Then, when you get that "hey I bought all this poo poo and I lost it OMG HELP!" email, you get their UID, add a currency chunk equivalent to whatever they lost, and then they're set. It's a little annoying, but you'll win massive points with your users, and still less annoying than maintaining a full back-end.

What we've come to do over the years is let Apple/Google handle the purchase history and just have a way to send in-game items to players (usually a support code somewhere that they can hand over to support) if that fails in any way.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Thanks for the advice Shalinor and eeenmachine. And just out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience with an IAP platform like Soomla? Reading up on all that it offers makes it sound pretty powerful and if it's Unity cross compatible with iOS and Android that's pretty sweet too.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
My IAP system for iOS stores consumable (and non-consumable) purchases (e.g. the current number of Smurfberries, whether coin doubler is unlocked, etc) in the Keychain so that (1) they're more protected from hacking, and (2) deleting a game along with documents doesn't delete the keychain data (as far as I know) so that if you choose to install the game again (or even restore an iTunes backup to a new device) that information will still be there. MKStoreKit does this. I also want to implement the support one-shots that Shalinor mentions.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
finally started doing some very basic UV work for the fields. Right now the textures are on Trilinear filtering because for some reason putting them on Point Filtering makes it look kinda crappy the further away you get from the camera. I'm not exactly sure why because I haven't really noticed this before. The problem of course now being that point filtering looks better with my very minimalist/pixel art style that I'm using. I guess if I can't solve it I can find a real artist to provide textures :shobon:

Anyway, have a .gif that's off-center because I just used GoonCam on the Unity preview window.

Also a screenshot of a different field skin

I'm really glad I finally got a chance to sit down and work on this more (day job's been kicking my rear end) since everyone I keep showing my progress to show great interest in it, and that's even without a playable demo (still waiting on that until I get my NGUI stuff implemented). Speaking of progress...

Shalinor posted:

As soon as my bonus comes in I am tossing some money your way Shalinor. I love film noir and I also like the thief-esque multiple bullet types mechanic

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 26, 2013

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
Well, at least I finished something LD. Can't say it's a full game though. :sigh:
If you want to give it a try, feel free.

You can play it here.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Finished my LD entry too for a change, it's a simple little arcadey pistol-duelling effort that I was quite happy with.

Windows and HTML5 web versions here:
LD Game Page
GameJolt game page

The comp version's very easy, you might want to amuse yourself playing around with non-fatal shots and stuff. I've got a few ideas for expanding it into a bit more of a game over the next week or two, but we'll see I guess.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

This is sort of inspired by Metroid Prime's area intros. I think it will be pretty cool once I get some more interesting things (i.e. anything at all) in the rooms. Font pending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bVtxbE9Fps&hd=1

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Orzo posted:

This is sort of inspired by Metroid Prime's area intros. I think it will be pretty cool once I get some more interesting things (i.e. anything at all) in the rooms. Font pending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bVtxbE9Fps&hd=1
That's already extremely cool, even with nothing in the rooms.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

farfromsleep posted:

Finished my LD entry too for a change, it's a simple little arcadey pistol-duelling effort that I was quite happy with.

Wow, this is WAY better than the other LD games I've been rating.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orzo posted:

As far as video games go, that's about as traditional as wide shot-medium shot-closeup is in films, so don't worry that people are gonna be all "oh he stole it from Metroid Prime" if that's a concern. I like it, feels kinda Wild ARMs. That might just be me reacting to the more CD-quality sound juxtaposed on the PSX-res pixel world, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If anyone knows anything about platform specific image compression for textures in Unity my brain is exploding please help. :saddowns:

I need to go to bed.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Ok so now you can manually offline (and online) stuff

Kinda neat. I also redid some of the stat work / modifier with stations. It now feeds the crewman and the stations modifiers into the scanner or the guns.

http://youtu.be/Kh7ttQonsZM

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 27, 2013

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Right, so got a rough idea how I want this to look, and I put in a menu. Now to just work work out the finer points like THE WHOLE FREAKING GAME (and animating the characters and backgrounds). But even this small progress has been fun as hell and really invigorating. So far its only been about an hour or so of work.

Introducing, Spacemans!

(My hosting)

I'm taking FTL and boiling it down to VERY basic stuff. Each station has one task, that you click as the required task shows in the window, or above/near/on each station depending on what you are currently facing, which will be visualized in the captains window. I'm not sure if the crew will have stats or just be need to be at a station for it to be used by you. I may make it you can only use the captain and no others. We'll see.

The game can only be played in windowed mode, which at the start of the game, is only 192x64, which you can see in the gif, but as the game progresses and you upgrade your ship, you'll get more stations which will expand the window horizontally... so say you play long enough (and have enough monitors) you could have the game running at 5120x64, if you wanted. It would just be a lot of work on your part.
True Eyefinity.

I want it to be a fun, 5 minute time waster. It has spawned from a joke between a friend of mine and I, so it should be fun to make. I also can't do pixel art for poo poo, so it's not going to look much better then it currently does!

tehsid fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Coldrice posted:

Ok so now you can manually offline (and online) stuff

Kinda neat. I also redid some of the stat work / modifier with stations. It now feeds the crewman and the stations modifiers into the scanner or the guns.

My initial instinct is that clicking those bars to increase the values on them is pretty unintuitive since they look like display elements only. You should consider making them a little "buttony" or adding a separate button element to control them.