Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Other than the screen, why would I choose a 13MBPR over a 13 MB or MBA?

Are the specs THAT much better?

More ports is a big deal. Two thunderbolt, HDMI and more USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Other than the screen, why would I choose a 13MBPR over a 13 MB or MBA?

Are the specs THAT much better?

MBA 13 - Incredible battery life, slick performance, PCI flash storage, Thinnest and lightest. No CD drive, no ethernet without adapter, no post purchase upgrades.

MBP 13- On par real world performance with MBPr which is a bit better than the MBA but not by much unless you do lots of CPU compute, CD drive, ethernet, hi-res option. Its thicker and heavier than the others and also uses a spinning hard drive, which is the worst thing after using flash. Is the most upgradeable of the 3, can replace RAM, cd drive and Hard drive yourself as you wish.

MBPr 13 - Gorgeous screen, thin and light, No CD drive, HDMI out, SATA based flash storage (Wait for refresh, guaranteed PCI storage), similar battery life to MBP (wait for haswell refresh, get boosted battery life), arguably better after market second hand prices.

It generally comes down to those differences and what you want out of a computer.

MBA - The best all rounder general laptop in all factors including price.

MBP - Tried and true, older technology with a speed boost. I wouldn't buy one, but cheaper upgrades might sway you.

MBPr - The ultimate personal 13'' laptop, does every thing the MBA does but on a prettier screen and more grunt in exchange for less battery life and a slightly bigger chassis.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 25, 2013

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Ocrassus posted:

MBA 13 - Incredible battery life, slick performance, PCI flash storage, Thinnest and lightest. No CD drive, no ethernet without adapter, no post purchase upgrades.

MBP 13- On par real world performance with MBPr which is a bit better than the MBA but not by much unless you do lots of CPU compute, CD drive, ethernet, hi-res option. Its thicker and heavier than the others and also uses a spinning hard drive, which is the worst thing after using flash. Is the most upgradeable of the 3, can replace RAM, cd drive and Hard drive yourself as you wish.

MBPr 13 - Gorgeous screen, thin and light, No CD drive, HDMI out, SATA based flash storage (Wait for refresh, guaranteed PCI storage), similar battery life to MBP (wait for haswell refresh, get boosted battery life), arguably better after market second hand prices.

It generally comes down to those differences and what you want out of a computer.

MBA - The best all rounder general laptop in all factors including price.

MBP - Tried and true, older technology with a speed boost. I wouldn't buy one, but cheaper upgrades might sway you.

MBPr - The ultimate personal 13'' laptop, does every thing the MBA does but on a prettier screen and more grunt in exchange for less battery life and a slightly bigger chassis.

I just went over all of these things in my mind over the last two weeks of trying to pick a new MacBook. Coming from a 13" MacBook unibody, I wanted something that felt like an upgrade (definitely want SSD, sleeker form factor, etc.). I ended up going with the MBAir because of the reasons you mentioned, and getting some beefed up specs BTO from Apple. I was strongly considering the 13" retina, but to me the difference in performance was not too much, and the trade off for more battery life/less weight for a lesser screen was one I am willing to make. That said, my Air gets delivered to the Apple store on 9/5 and if 9/10's press conference reveals a 13" rMBP with better battery life and other specs for about the same price, I may take advantage of the 14 day return policy.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Yeah, what I'm trying to get at is why get a MBPR instead of an air, both 13 inch.....especially if you don't want that screen - looks like the speed would be the same? And wouldn't the Air also be better than a 13 pro other than HD (500 to 128)

And forget the ports, just speed talk.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Speed is similar, except the new Air actually has a better integrated GPU.
The only selling point of 13'' retina or not is the larger, or retina, screen and ports, storage space.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
The retina can attach 3 displays (Thundebolt, Thunderbolt, HDMI). That's reason enough for me.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I'm in the process of selling an early 2011 macbook pro 17" 8,3 (specs) and I'm having a hard time deciding on a selling price. Keep in mind it has the matte display, i7 processor upgrade, and an internal 128gb SSD + the stock 750gb HDD where the optical drive used to be.

I've had an offer of $1600, and although I'm tempted to just take it before new models are released I'm worried that it's worth more. I see a new ad on kijiji attempting to sell the same computer, with lower specs, for $1900.

Can someone kick my rear end and tell me just to sell it and stop worrying about it?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Jesus, 1600 for a 2011?
I have a better feeling about selling my 2012 13'' then, maybe I can get 800 out of it.

Also everybody on Kijiji aims high and settles for lower, you should really go with the 1600 ~in my opinion~.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well it's a 17" which was the last with ExpressCard too, and new enough to have Thunderbolt, so I can understand people trying to milk it or desperate people wanting to buy.

...but yeah drat $1600 for a two year old machine. At a certain point you just have to ignore the original cost and whatever crap you put into it (i.e. sunk costs). I figure if you can get enough to fund a large chunk (if not all) of whatever you're buying next, go for it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh My Science posted:

I'm in the process of selling an early 2011 macbook pro 17" 8,3 (specs) and I'm having a hard time deciding on a selling price. Keep in mind it has the matte display, i7 processor upgrade, and an internal 128gb SSD + the stock 750gb HDD where the optical drive used to be.

I've had an offer of $1600, and although I'm tempted to just take it before new models are released I'm worried that it's worth more. I see a new ad on kijiji attempting to sell the same computer, with lower specs, for $1900.

Can someone kick my rear end and tell me just to sell it and stop worrying about it?

Yeah, uhh, take the $1600. That's a really good price considering the model year. My mid-2012 MacBook Air (2.0GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) would probably fetch just as much. Depending on how much the Haswell Retina MacBook Pro's are, I might sell my Air to fund a rMBP.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

japtor posted:

I figure if you can get enough to fund a large chunk (if not all) of whatever you're buying next, go for it.

Yeah, pending something really cool like an affordable mac pro it will probably be replaced by a new Mac mini + thunderbolt display or an air.

Thanks guys, let's see if this guy follows through.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

That's a good and reasonable price. Not long ago my store took a trade in on a CTO 15" late-2011 MBP with quad-core i7 and a matte display and sold it quickly for $1500, and it just had the stock 750 HDD. At least around here, the 17" of that year are much harder to find.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My mom dropped something on her MBA.

She took it to the store and the Apple Genius opened it up and refused to fix the screen because the water sensor had been tripped previously, unrelated to the current damage, despite the computer still otherwise working fine.

What's the next best way to fix this? Can I get a replacement panel and do this myself? Or is there a recommended alternative to the apple store for repairs?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

ephori posted:

She took it to the store and the Apple Genius opened it up and refused to fix the screen because the water sensor had been tripped previously, unrelated to the current damage, despite the computer still otherwise working fine.

What's the next best way to fix this? Can I get a replacement panel and do this myself? Or is there a recommended alternative to the apple store for repairs?

An AASP will fix that up no problem. That's the best way I've found for partial repairs besides doing it yourself.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ephori posted:

Your mother broke the laws of spacetime and now an elder god is leaking out across the universe.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ephori posted:

You should have taken this up with the manager who can sometimes at least quote you some Tiered price instead of the old shove off you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Man I feel bad for anyone trying to sell a 2012 right now. The 2013's are discounted pretty good at retailers like Amazon and Best Buy, then you've got refurb and open-box deals, 2013's are right around the corner (or just came out).

"So let me get this right, you're going to sell me a year-old, used laptop for $100 less than I can get a 'new' refurb from Apple for, and then in 2-3 weeks the new model with 50% more battery life and graphics performance is coming out?"

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Not everyone does their research/is informed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also not everyone cares.

Quick question, I just picked up a used rMBP from Amazon Warehouse. What tests should I run on it to make sure everything looks good?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Also not everyone cares.

Quick question, I just picked up a used rMBP from Amazon Warehouse. What tests should I run on it to make sure everything looks good?

Apple's hardware test would be a good one:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone know if the MCP89 SATA controller in the NVIDIA 330/320M 2010 MacBook Pro is better at not being a beach-ball fest (when you use a Sandforce SSD) compared with the MCP79 SATA controller in the NVIDIA 9400/9600M in the 2009 MacBook Pro?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm sure most of you know this by now, but holy poo poo is Disk warrior some awesome software

I managed to fry my hard drive due to a failing battery causing periodic epilepsy when unplugged(I'm still waiting on a replacement from the US, out of warranty unfortunately) which lead to the innevitable disk catalogue fryup. Bad poo poo.

After spending a few hours in despair wondering if the $15K+ in projects on the hard drive (I havent time-machined in a while because Im a retard) was lost because all the usual single user mode iiterations of fdisk where just giving up in confusion, I eventually brought a copy of disk warrior and after fighting with stuffing it onto a USB key (because my optical drive is hosed, just like everyone else because optical drives get hosed) I ran it, rebuilt the directory and...

... she's purring like a kitten.

Best $90 I ever spent. You all should buy a copy of this poo poo,, and like loving charge people to magic their busted macs back into health again. Its black magic voodoo I tell ya.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I've got an offer of 700 for my mid 2012 13'' 2.5ghz 8gb 500gb
Should I jump on this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SRQ posted:

I've got an offer of 700 for my mid 2012 13'' 2.5ghz 8gb 500gb
Should I jump on this?

Probably...new they are $999 for a refurb at Apple, $999 new at Microcenter, Best Buy has the student discount ant some other $100 coupon thing going on....

Heck I'd give you $700 right now but I'm holding out for an i7 if I go with a 13" cMBP.

edit: Classic MacBook Pro

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 26, 2013

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

R is retina... what's C?
E: CD Drive?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, what I'm trying to get at is why get a MBPR instead of an air, both 13 inch.....especially if you don't want that screen - looks like the speed would be the same? And wouldn't the Air also be better than a 13 pro other than HD (500 to 128)

And forget the ports, just speed talk.

Having sold my 13" rMBP a week ago, I'm getting by on a 2011 11" Air for now. I'll probably hold out until the MBP and rMBP are refreshed, hopefully real soon like. If this Air had USB 3.0 and a little more battery life (4.5hrs just isn't enough sometimes) I'd keep it. I'm hesitant to get 2013 Air 13" at the $1099 price, if it had 8GB I wouldn't think twice about it.

All the 13" rMBP's have 8GB of RAM. The 13" cMBP are easily upgradeable (DDR3 isn't as cheap as it was few months ago-2x4GB kits were $25-but at least you CAN upgrade it). The Airs have to be BTO to get 8GB of RAM.

4GB is 'enough' but I found I was upgrading a lot of cMBP users to 8GB because of how much loving RAM browsers hog up these days if you don't shutdown every day. The SSD on the Air makes swapping a lot more tolerable, but if you get into VM's at all, 4GB gets crowded quick.

The rMBP has HDMI. Very nice since you don't have to dick around with adapters. If you have a HTPC you probably don't care. It also has two TB ports which is nice if you want to run 2 external monitors without using some lovely USB adapter or a Matrox box. You probably don't have any TB accessories so I won't even mention that.

As far as the battery life goes, 12 hours is nice but 8 hours is pretty drat good. The Air is a little thinner and lighter but the rMBP has a little smaller footprint. The cMBP is small (it was amazing small in 2010) especially if you came from a 15" but it seems like a beast now.

The Retina screen is also awesome. Not just because of the viewing angles but the fact that you can jump from 1280x800 to 1650x1080 or even 1920x1200 (although you'll go blind using that as a daily driver). It's kind of nice to remote into my work machine with 23" monitors and not not have to scale way down or change my resolution. Or have a server open in one window, a server in another window, and then email or log files or whatever. Amazing for remote Windows sysadmin stuff.

But, the screen isn't perfect. If you're not at 'best for Retina' things can look a little weird in some situations. And it takes a while to get used to not being able to see the pixels, it sounds funny but it doesn't seem as 'computer' as it does printout.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

duck monster posted:

I'm sure most of you know this by now, but holy poo poo is Disk warrior some awesome software

I managed to fry my hard drive due to a failing battery causing periodic epilepsy when unplugged(I'm still waiting on a replacement from the US, out of warranty unfortunately) which lead to the innevitable disk catalogue fryup. Bad poo poo.

After spending a few hours in despair wondering if the $15K+ in projects on the hard drive (I havent time-machined in a while because Im a retard) was lost because all the usual single user mode iiterations of fdisk where just giving up in confusion, I eventually brought a copy of disk warrior and after fighting with stuffing it onto a USB key (because my optical drive is hosed, just like everyone else because optical drives get hosed) I ran it, rebuilt the directory and...

... she's purring like a kitten.

Best $90 I ever spent. You all should buy a copy of this poo poo,, and like loving charge people to magic their busted macs back into health again. Its black magic voodoo I tell ya.

Nobody appreciates messages like these until it's their data on the line. That said, $90 is a small price to pay for the return of your data, especially if you don't have a recent backup. They need to release a new bootable CD like nobody's business, but Apple supposedly has not updated the developer kit that lets you create bootable CDs since the end of Lion.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

duck monster posted:

...the $15K+ in projects on the hard drive...
...(I havent time-machined in a while because Im a retard)...
...Best $90 I ever spent...

No. The best $90 you ever spent is the $90 you're going to spend on a solution which lets you just turn on hourly automatic Time Machine over WiFi (*) at some location where your computer is guaranteed to be in range daily. You are doing this, right? :colbert: (taps foot)

* - if you already have an Airport base station this really is less than $90 away. Just attach a 2.5" USB HDD. Yes, it's not officially supported on the older ones. There's guides on how to get it started up out there on the net. While there's sometimes hiccups (once in a blue moon the computer fails to mount the TM disk image properly), it mostly just works the way I imagine a real Time Capsule would.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Nobody appreciates messages like these until it's their data on the line. That said, $90 is a small price to pay for the return of your data, especially if you don't have a recent backup. They need to release a new bootable CD like nobody's business, but Apple supposedly has not updated the developer kit that lets you create bootable CDs since the end of Lion.

Bootable optical discs? That is old and busted. Bootable USB flash keys are where it's at. This would be why Apple hasn't been updating that thing. In this brave new optical-free future they have no more need for it themselves.

(none of the above was actually sarcastic, 8GB thumbdrives are cheap and make great emergency boot devices. Can be a bit slow to create because cheap thumbdrives have terrible write performance, but on the flip side they're generally far faster to actually boot from than the bootable CDs I used to make years ago.)

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Bob Morales posted:

Man I feel bad for anyone trying to sell a 2012 right now. The 2013's are discounted pretty good at retailers like Amazon and Best Buy, then you've got refurb and open-box deals, 2013's are right around the corner (or just came out).

You should actually feel bad for retarded eBay buyers, who for the next few months are gonna be paying the same ridiculous prices for even more obsolete than usual Macs.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Alright well I'm formatting that 2012 13 for tomorrow, looking around it seems 700 is more then fair.
Glad I did this before the coming refresh.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I just got my hands on a Performa 6118CD circa 1994.

Problem is, it won't turn on. Google seems to blame bad capacitors. What are the odds that this guide will work, assuming that I do everything correctly?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

You got a Performa?
I feel so sorry for you.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

klosterdev posted:

I just got my hands on a Performa 6118CD circa 1994.

Problem is, it won't turn on. Google seems to blame bad capacitors. What are the odds that this guide will work, assuming that I do everything correctly?

How does the motherboard smell. Dead caps are pretty much your definitive "my electronics have melted" ozone smell.

Do you have any multimeter aptitude? Because its not hard to do a youtube tutorial on diagnosing caps, resistors and transistors as alive or hosed (anything with more than 4 legs and you'll be wanting a logic meter, osciliscope and a tech college level electronics education), and you can start hitting up those caps and figuring out if they are hosed or not.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 27, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe try the classic Macs thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463231

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

(none of the above was actually sarcastic, 8GB thumbdrives are cheap and make great emergency boot devices. Can be a bit slow to create because cheap thumbdrives have terrible write performance, but on the flip side they're generally far faster to actually boot from than the bootable CDs I used to make years ago.)

I use 32 GB or better, because once you boot OS X off of a writeable volume it has to set up a VM file and it's usually 1.5X the size of your RAM.

8 GB is good for bootable OS installers and ASD boot images since VM doesn't really come into play with those; Patriot Rage USB 3.0 and SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 are pretty decent flash keys with decent write speed, they're currently my go-to keys for booting utilities.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SRQ posted:

You got a Performa?
I feel so sorry for you.

Only a very few Performas were actually crippled. His one is basically a Power Macintosh in all but name.

So much so that it has that stupid proprietary and short-lived monitor out plug, the precursor to ADC, mini-DVI and Thunderbolt.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I've got an aluminum Macbook, the one they released back in 2008, and I want to hook up two external monitors and use the laptop with the lid closed. One of the monitor's is 1366x768 and the other is 1920x1200.

Is there a good solution to get that working? I looked at the Matrox DualHead2go and it looks like that needs the monitors to have the same resolution.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

I've got an aluminum Macbook, the one they released back in 2008, and I want to hook up two external monitors and use the laptop with the lid closed. One of the monitor's is 1366x768 and the other is 1920x1200.

Is there a good solution to get that working? I looked at the Matrox DualHead2go and it looks like that needs the monitors to have the same resolution.

You could get a USB monitor adapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Only a very few Performas were actually crippled. His one is basically a Power Macintosh in all but name.

So much so that it has that stupid proprietary and short-lived monitor out plug, the precursor to ADC, mini-DVI and Thunderbolt.

I still feel like killing myself every time I see a computer in the desktop form factor though.