Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I think Projecktorboy is on the right track. After a few years of OS maturation we're now seeing the stock builds of a particular device actually being much better optimized then whatever junk kids can cobble together. Of course this isn't always the rule, but for your big brand names who have spent umpteenth billion dollars on bringing a device to market maybe it's okay to trust them to do a good job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Anyone been running the CM 10.2 nightlies? I'm on the 8/17 (as I went to check the date I see 8/18 is up now) nightly and I'm digging it for the most part but I had a weird crash today that basically performed its own factory reset for me, which sucked quite a bit so thank god for Titanium Backup.

Now I'm gonna dirty flash the newest nightly and see how much trouble that gets me into.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I've been running them on my S3 (d2att) since it was released. The first nightly had some sort of memory leak that would render the phone unusable after a couple hours, but it's been smooth since then.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'm on 8/18 dirty and everything's smooth so hooray! Is there usually a particular number of nightlies or period of time before the devs land on a stable build or is it just until everything is ironed out?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I'm on 8/18 dirty and everything's smooth so hooray! Is there usually a particular number of nightlies or period of time before the devs land on a stable build or is it just until everything is ironed out?

It will be nightlies only for several months. Usually the nightlies are more or less "stable" from a "chances your device will crash" standpoint, so if using nightlies for a daily driver is what worries you, you should be fine. A real stable build won't come until the devs are happy with this generation of Cyanogenmod. 10.1 went stable fairly recently (about a month ago, I think?). In my experience (Galaxy Nexus from the Play Store) over the past 2 years, there's only ever been one build that wouldn't boot after I flashed it, and all I had to do was flash the night before's and wait a few days to try again. In addition, sometimes Cyanogenmod specific features are buggy/broken for a few days/weeks as they get them hammered out. Right now Focal is all sorts of buggy.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Did something happen with the maintainer for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus for CM or something else going on? It seems to be the only phone at this point not on a 10.2 nightly.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I have in my hands a brand new S4. It's shiny and beautiful and way lighter than expected (all the models I've seen had a big heavy anti-theft device attached). Anyway, because Sprint is being a big bag of dicks, for some reason I can't activate the thing until tomorrow. Would I run into any issues rooting the thing before activation? I'm not looking to load any roms on it just yet, which I assume would run into issues with activation, just wanting to install SU and start installing apps and junk.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

So I have in my hands a brand new S4. It's shiny and beautiful and way lighter than expected (all the models I've seen had a big heavy anti-theft device attached). Anyway, because Sprint is being a big bag of dicks, for some reason I can't activate the thing until tomorrow. Would I run into any issues rooting the thing before activation? I'm not looking to load any roms on it just yet, which I assume would run into issues with activation, just wanting to install SU and start installing apps and junk.
That shouldn't be an issue.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Running the CM nightlies I'm noticing my signal strength seems to be worse than it has been in the past. From the little bit of reading I did on it I've seen that since the transition from Gingerbread to ICS the way signal strength is measured has changed and while the new signal may be perceived as "worse" it's really only about real world usage and bladablahblah.. The new CM also defaults my APN to LTE - Verizon Internet rather than EHRPD - Verizon Internet, and I no longer see a signal strength with 3G or 4G icon, only LTE or blank.

So I guess I'm concerned that I'm sacrificing signal strength for being on 4.3 and wondering if I need to update my radio (and how to even do that) or if should just relax and remember that I'm willfully running nightlies and maybe go back to AOKP until a stable CM comes out?

I'm hoping for a "hey man update your radios and enjoy your awesome phone" answer but not expecting it.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I just updated to CM 10.2 nightlies from 10.1 nightlies; I flashed the current nightly, then I flashed the gapps files without wiping the cache or davlik. Is this a "dirty" flash? I'm new to this stuff :shobon: but everything is working well.

If I wanted to try trickdroid what would be the least painful way to do it? I'm going to make a backup before I do anything, but I'm assuming I'll have to wipe everything before I flash trickdroid? I miss a couple of sense things, namely the camera.

I'll probably just end up sticking with CM 10.2, it's working nicely :)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
A dirty flash involves not wiping /data. Dalvik and cache are auto wiped on flashing cm updates.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

ArgaWarga posted:

I just updated to CM 10.2 nightlies from 10.1 nightlies; I flashed the current nightly, then I flashed the gapps files without wiping the cache or davlik. Is this a "dirty" flash? I'm new to this stuff :shobon: but everything is working well.

If I wanted to try trickdroid what would be the least painful way to do it? I'm going to make a backup before I do anything, but I'm assuming I'll have to wipe everything before I flash trickdroid? I miss a couple of sense things, namely the camera.

I'll probably just end up sticking with CM 10.2, it's working nicely :)

As far as upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2, you did it exactly right.

To further clarify the term "dirty flashing" it means flashing a rom on top of another rom without resetting the phone to factory defaults first (or as big mean giraffe said, without wiping the "data" partition). If you were on a CM 10.1 nightly, flashed CM 10.2 on top of it, and then flashed the gapps for 10.2, you dirty flashed. Dirty flashing is generally fine as long as you're going from CM Version X to CM Version X+1. For more information, read this: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/74526-how-do-i-update-cyanogenmod

Since you're using GApps, you ONLY have to flash GApps the first time you flash an upgraded version. You will not have to flash another GApps unless you wipe /data, change roms, or upgrade to CM10.3 or CM11, whichever is the next version of CM. If you have GApps for CM 10.1, and flash CM 10.2 without flashing the proper version of GApps, you'll have a bad time that likely means you'll have to wipe data and flash everything over from scratch.

If you want to change your rom, such as going to trickdroid, you need to make sure you do a clean flash. This means wiping data as well as cache and davlik before you do anything. Then you can flash the trickdroid rom (and probably GApps? I have no idea what trickdroid includes). This will basically treat your phone as a brand new installation, with all of your apps and data wiped. You'll need to use something like Titanium Backup to do a backup of your data first, and after getting through the initial setup on the new rom ONLY RESTORE APPS AND DATA using Titanium Backup. DO NOT RESTORE SYSTEM APPS OR SYSTEM DATA!!

Hopefully that makes enough sense.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm getting ready to update to CM 10.2, and I noticed on the gapps package :
Does not include GalleryGoogle, meaning no Photosphere-equipped Camera app.

So do we loose PhotoSphere for now if we update? I like making those..

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ninmeister posted:

Did something happen with the maintainer for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus for CM or something else going on? It seems to be the only phone at this point not on a 10.2 nightly.

I think it has been abandoned by CM.

I did find this unofficial CM 10.2 port that is still being worked on. Note that it is currently using the stock Google kernel but he is working on getting the CM kernel to work

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2409891

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

deong posted:

Try the Focal camera included with CM 10.2. It has a "Picsphere" camera that does the same thing.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

deong posted:

Yes, CM is missing this as well as Google+/Picasa photo albums showing in the Gallery app. (I use this feature quite often to show photos off when offline, and the G+ app doesn't do it)

Edit: Focal has photo sphere. If only I didn't need to unlock my phone Focal...

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 21, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any ideas why my phone would ring silently on CM 10.2? I have a non-silent ringtone, volumes are up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

You can do what I did and install the 4.3 camera but you'll need to edit your backup scripts to prevent the AOSP camera from being restored every time you flash a nightly and to preserve the libs/apks in /system.

LiquidRain posted:

Yes, CM is missing this as well as Google+/Picasa photo albums showing in the Gallery app. (I use this feature quite often to show photos off when offline, and the G+ app doesn't do it)

Edit: Focal has photo sphere. If only I didn't need to unlock my phone Focal...
G+ now provides its own photo gallery so it's a lot less necessary that it used to be.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I did find this unofficial CM 10.2 port that is still being worked on. Note that it is currently using the stock Google kernel but he is working on getting the CM kernel to work

Ah that sucks! Is there somewhere that they'd normally announce that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is anyone else with a Nexus 4 experiencing random ~10-second freezes on CM 10.2? I've noticed it most in Word Mix Lite (an anagram game) and, after the recent update, when typing with SwiftKey.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Lowen SoDium posted:

Well, then I guess it was good timing that I accidentally murdered my Galaxy Nexus by unknowingly sitting it in water for 30 minutes in my cars cup holder.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Running the CM nightlies I'm noticing my signal strength seems to be worse than it has been in the past. From the little bit of reading I did on it I've seen that since the transition from Gingerbread to ICS the way signal strength is measured has changed and while the new signal may be perceived as "worse" it's really only about real world usage and bladablahblah.. The new CM also defaults my APN to LTE - Verizon Internet rather than EHRPD - Verizon Internet, and I no longer see a signal strength with 3G or 4G icon, only LTE or blank.

So I guess I'm concerned that I'm sacrificing signal strength for being on 4.3 and wondering if I need to update my radio (and how to even do that) or if should just relax and remember that I'm willfully running nightlies and maybe go back to AOKP until a stable CM comes out?

I'm hoping for a "hey man update your radios and enjoy your awesome phone" answer but not expecting it.

From looking at your post history, it looks like you're running a Razr Maxx. Have you unlocked the bootloader or are you using a KEXEC version of the ROM? (If you had to install the ROM under Safestrap then you are using a KEXEC version.)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WugLyfe posted:

Ah that sucks! Is there somewhere that they'd normally announce that?

I don't know if they will ever officially announce it, but if they do, it will be on the cyanogenmod Google+ page.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

ProjektorBoy posted:

From looking at your post history, it looks like you're running a Razr Maxx. Have you unlocked the bootloader or are you using a KEXEC version of the ROM? (If you had to install the ROM under Safestrap then you are using a KEXEC version.)

Yeah I use Safestrap to do everything and I rooted by following a bunch of instructions on the internet so I'm not even sure I could root another maxx from memory, I only remember having to activate a smart action then reboot or whatever. I'm interested to know why you asked.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

You can do what I did and install the 4.3 camera but you'll need to edit your backup scripts to prevent the AOSP camera from being restored every time you flash a nightly and to preserve the libs/apks in /system.
G+ now provides its own photo gallery so it's a lot less necessary that it used to be.

I was able to remove gallery2 and then install the 4.3 camera. Thanks.
Would you be willing to pastebin your backup script by chance :D?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

I was able to remove gallery2 and then install the 4.3 camera. Thanks.
Would you be willing to pastebin your backup script by chance :D?
My backup script is quite big but sure. Here it is. Note that this fixes the broken GMail backup in the goo.im version of GApps decribed here.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I just flashed my Nexus 4 with a 'hybrid radio'(from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2412052) that gave me 4G. Fast web browsing go!

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW
So I've been playing around with my new AT&T Galaxy S4, looking around, installing things here and there. I found and ran this (nightly builds) rom called PAC-ROM for about a week just to test it and it seems that sucker likes to drink some battery! Is it just this rom or is there more optimization needed on my end after installing the rom like clearing battery stats to get it to run like stock's normal battery life? Has anyone else run this rom?

Jawtramp fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 23, 2013

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

hooah posted:

Any ideas why my phone would ring silently on CM 10.2? I have a non-silent ringtone, volumes are up.

What phone do you have? I'm having the same problem on my Verizon S4 after a clean flash to the 8/21 build. The final 10.1 nightly (8/13) I came from didn't have this issue. This phone-breaking issue will probably be fixed sooner than later, though. If you watch the release notes, there are still a ton of activity as a result of moving to Android 4.3.

EDIT: It turns out all sound was getting muted, which is odd because Bluetooth audio was working earlier. A reboot set it straight for now.

azurite fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 23, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

azurite posted:

What phone do you have? I'm having the same problem on my Verizon S4 after a clean flash to the 8/21 build. The final 10.1 nightly (8/13) I came from didn't have this issue. This phone-breaking issue will probably be fixed sooner than later, though. If you watch the release notes, there are still a ton of activity as a result of moving to Android 4.3.

EDIT: It turns out all sound was getting muted, which is odd because Bluetooth audio was working earlier. A reboot set it straight for now.

I have a Nexus 4, same nightly as you. I have indeed been watching the crazy release notes, so I guess it's back to flashing more quickly for me until this is sorted out.

Another issue is that apps lose root permission from time to time. This morning, Titanium Backup complained that it couldn't get permission. I went and deleted it from the Superuser list in settings, and it still couldn't get permission. Checking other apps, most of them fail as well. EStrongs, WiFi Tether, and Faster GPS work fine.

Edit: a reboot fixed the root problems. I don't get call often enough to find out about the calling :(

hooah fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 23, 2013

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is there a way to get my GPS working with CM 10.2? I have a Sprint note 2.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
So I love my AT&T Galaxy S 4, and find touchwiz just fine, but I'd really like to be able to disable some system stuff like the BATTERY FULL UNPLUG and CURRENTLY CONNECTED TO NETWORK WHATEVER.

What is the best slightly slimmed down rom for this?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm pretty well late to the party, but I finally got a Galaxy S3 on Verizon. At least the device has had time to develop in the ROM/Root category. Do you guys recommend any particular ROMs for it? I'm running rooted stock right now, enjoying some of the TouchWiz features like sensing my face to rotate or not, but I'm not sure what other ROMs offer. Also, what's the best way to remove Verizon bullshit from my phone?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Isn't 4.3 supposed to have Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3? I haven't gotten it working on my Galaxy Nexus with Cyanogenmod 10.2 yet. Neither Google Play Music nor Pandora show the artist/song information over bluetooth. Does the Galaxy Nexus just not support it, or is it broken in current CM nightlies? Anyone know what's going on there?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

Also, what's the best way to remove Verizon bullshit from my phone?

If you just want to stick with your current setup, Titanium Backup. If you flash a custom ROM, they won't be there anyway.

Nexus 4 running CM 10.2 here. Is there a way to tell what app is using my GPS? Since a recent CM update (maybe an app install, not sure) my GPS searches for location almost constantly. I have it turned off most of the time as a result, but I'd like to just disable the app that's causing it. Any ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Isn't 4.3 supposed to have Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3? I haven't gotten it working on my Galaxy Nexus with Cyanogenmod 10.2 yet. Neither Google Play Music nor Pandora show the artist/song information over bluetooth. Does the Galaxy Nexus just not support it, or is it broken in current CM nightlies? Anyone know what's going on there?
AVRCP is not on the Galaxy Nexus on the stock ROM. I could believe that CM hasn't added it to CM 10.2 either.

There is a zip on xda you can flash to enable it though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
How are the CM10.2 nightlies coming along? Stable enough to use every day, or still pretty buggy?
My N4 is still on CM10.1 stable mainly due to the standard rom having that stupid volume level warning which makes you have to click ok if you want to put the volume all the way up when using headphones. Then after an hours use the drat thing goes back to 50% volume making you reconfirm it. Which is incredibly annoying if you plug your phone into say your cars aux in or external speakers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anime and cars posted:

How are the CM10.2 nightlies coming along? Stable enough to use every day, or still pretty buggy?
My N4 is still on CM10.1 stable mainly due to the standard rom having that stupid volume level warning which makes you have to click ok if you want to put the volume all the way up when using headphones. Then after an hours use the drat thing goes back to 50% volume making you reconfirm it. Which is incredibly annoying if you plug your phone into say your cars aux in or external speakers.
On the Galaxy Nexus with a clean install I've found CM10.2 to be pretty stable. I've seen some gapps force closes but rarely.

This is on a clean install by the way. When I updated in place over CM10.1 it wasn't stable at all.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

LastInLine posted:

This is on a clean install by the way. When I updated in place over CM10.1 it wasn't stable at all.

Echoing this. Dirty flashing had almost all my apps/data/group text acting all hosed up. Clean wipe/flash and it is perfect on my Verizon GNexus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I have a VZW S4, I just flashed a 10.2 nightly and the 4.3 GAPPS a while back over a CM 10.1 nightly and it's been perfectly fine. Updated 10.2 to newer nightlies a few times, still no issues.