Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Barbe Rouge posted:

Amazon has it coming out December 3rd '13:
http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Game-Dresden-Files-ebook/dp/B00CIVLY22

but who knows...

I'd trust Butcher's site more than Amazon. They had a release date set for A Feast for Crows that they kept moving for like 3 years. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Barbe Rouge posted:

Amazon has it coming out December 3rd '13:
http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Game-Dresden-Files-ebook/dp/B00CIVLY22

but who knows...

That's been explicitly stated as incorrect by people in the know (Announcer voice: I brave the stupidest WAGs on the JB forums so you don't have to.) It's supposedly coming out "early" 2014.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ghetto Prince posted:

We probably won't find out until he posts the backstory that never made it into the novels, like he did with Alera...you know, when the series is finished... ten to fifteen years from now.

Wait, when was the backstory for Alera published?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Wait, when was the backstory for Alera published?

It didn't get published, but Butcher has elucidated at cons and in forum posts about how stuff on Carna came to be.

The planet is an interdimensional/spacial dumping ground. Kind of like a galactic bermuda triangle. Stuff wanders through portals and ends up stranded there, which is why so many sapient races are in one place. Only exception is the Vord, who showed up in a space ship which crashed in the Valley of Silence. They were a weaponized terraforming tool seeded by an race we never encounter for the purpose of making various worlds suitable for colonization.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Skippy McPants posted:

It didn't get published, but Butcher has elucidated at cons and in forum posts about how stuff on Carna came to be.

The planet is an interdimensional/spacial dumping ground. Kind of like a galactic bermuda triangle. Stuff wanders through portals and ends up stranded there, which is why so many sapient races are in one place. Only exception is the Vord, who showed up in a space ship which crashed in the Valley of Silence. They were a weaponized terraforming tool seeded by an race we never encounter for the purpose of making various worlds suitable for colonization.

Huh...well, I'm glad that there's an explanation, but I'm really glad Butcher didn't go into it in the books themselves.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

jivjov posted:

Huh...well, I'm glad that there's an explanation, but I'm really glad Butcher didn't go into it in the books themselves.

Alera came fairly close when talking to Tavi about how all the races of Carna were refugees from other worlds, but even she wouldn't have had all the context required to understand or explain it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Skippy McPants posted:

Alera came fairly close when talking to Tavi about how all the races of Carna were refugees from other worlds, but even she wouldn't have had all the context required to understand or explain it.

Yeah, I actually really like it when some things are left a mystery. Of course Alrea would realize that these people were from a different time and place, but there's no way she'd be able to say "That enemy you're facing? Totally from space!"

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

God dammit Worm. I finally finished reading it all and caught up at the worst loving possible point.

Also I missed you Dresden thread.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Virigoth posted:

God dammit Worm. I finally finished reading it all and caught up at the worst loving possible point.

Also I missed you Dresden thread.

We've moved Worm-chat to Web Serials, if you wanna talk about it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

SerSpook posted:

We've moved Worm-chat to Web Serials, if you wanna talk about it.

Well hot drat! My bad.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Since we've talked about other urban fantasy books in this thread, has anyone read the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia? It's really cheesy (and it knows it), and only decently written, but it's fun. My big gripes with the series are the eye-rollingly obvious libertarian themes, the Tolkien-esque loving description of guns, the redneck elves (seriously), and weirdness in the plot towards the end of the first book. I would recommend the books to someone just starting to read the genre, but for someone who reads of lot of it, it's not really that good. Decent, but not good by any means.

I'm currently using the first book (called Monster Hunter International) as a guide for writing my own urban fantasy, in terms of pacing, description, tone, and syntax (I don't have a very good grasp on how to write a good, descriptive first-person viewpoint). It's well-written in terms of essentials.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
If you liked MHI then you should try his Grimnoir Chronicles, the first book is Hard Magic and the last book in the trilogy was released this month. It takes place in the 1930s and has a really detailed magic system. It reminds me of something Brandon Sanderson would come up with.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I just finished Broken Homes and the last ten pages or so had me practically screaming because I knew that it'd be another year or so before I'd get any more of the story. It did seem to start out slow and it also seemed short to me, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I also picked up the audiobook of The Rook to hold me over during commutes and breaks at work, that book is seriously really enjoyable. Libriomancer or whatever that series is called will probably be next.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Darksaber posted:

I just finished Broken Homes and the last ten pages or so had me practically screaming because I knew that it'd be another year or so before I'd get any more of the story. It did seem to start out slow and it also seemed short to me, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I also picked up the audiobook of The Rook to hold me over during commutes and breaks at work, that book is seriously really enjoyable. Libriomancer or whatever that series is called will probably be next.

Same here, finished it this morning. I almost enjoyed the PC Grant books more than Dresden. I loved how detailed his knowledge of London is and how he uses real locations from right around my neck of the woods. I also love the Britishisms although I can see how they would be frustrating to a non UK reader (possibly even a non Londoner). Anyway, now I have nothing to read!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I run into the problem with Grant that I run into with Dresden in that I find basically every other character more interesting than I do Grant. I think I like Grant a bit more that I do Harry, but I also find him a little less interesting because of it.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Dravs posted:

Anyway, now I have nothing to read!

Read Worm, it's amazing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dravs posted:

Same here, finished it this morning. I almost enjoyed the PC Grant books more than Dresden. I loved how detailed his knowledge of London is and how he uses real locations from right around my neck of the woods. I also love the Britishisms although I can see how they would be frustrating to a non UK reader (possibly even a non Londoner). Anyway, now I have nothing to read!

London Falling by Paul Cornell. It's basically the Peter Grant series except none of the cops are wizards, and the evil magicians are a lot more evil. Almost more horror than fantasy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

London Falling by Paul Cornell. It's basically the Peter Grant series except none of the cops are wizards, and the evil magicians are a lot more evil. Almost more horror than fantasy.

The bad thing here is that I'm wanting to read more books in this series but there don't seem to be any more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wade Wilson posted:

The bad thing here is that I'm wanting to read more books in this series but there don't seem to be any more.

Yeah, it's brand new, but there will be more.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Dravs posted:

Anyway, now I have nothing to read!

Seconding the Worm recommendation.
http://parahumans.wordpress.com

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
It looks really good, however reading it on the web is a bit of a pain. Is there not a kindle version I can get somewhere?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Nope, it's purely a web serial. You could probably manually grab it though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Algid posted:

That's the third director, I think he's the only one of the 4 that hasn't had an interlude unless I'm remembering things wrong.

There's a pretty good reason he doesn't get an interlude, though.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Dravs posted:

It looks really good, however reading it on the web is a bit of a pain. Is there not a kindle version I can get somewhere?

If you have a smart phone you can read it on that. The readability is pretty good, it's how I read most of the chapters.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
All Wormchat should go in the web serials thread so this thread can keep its head in the sand. :smugdog: Or something like that.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Benedict Jacka's Chosen, Alex Verus book 4 came out Tuesday http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16072988-chosen

Has anyone else read the series or this book in particular?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Those of you that recommended Libriomancer: thank you.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Dienes posted:

Those of you that recommended Libriomancer: thank you.

Seriously.

I read that and the sequel, and while they might not be amazing literature, they are definitely -tons- of fun.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

fermun posted:

Benedict Jacka's Chosen, Alex Verus book 4 came out Tuesday http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16072988-chosen

Has anyone else read the series or this book in particular?

It's a quality series, I recommend it only slightly less than Dresden Files and Peter Grant, in large part because he literally brute forces conversation trees more than once.

Also, it's nice to see someone whose primary strength isn't in direct conflict.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I finished The Rook, really have to highly recommend that book to anyone who likes the genre, definitely looking forward to a sequel. I grabbed Libriomancer on Audible next and uhhh... I'm only two chapters in, but this narrator is kinda poo poo, especially compared to the lady who did The Rook. I suppose I should actually listen to samples first from now on. I am liking the story so far though.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's a quality series, I recommend it only slightly less than Dresden Files and Peter Grant, in large part because he literally brute forces conversation trees more than once.

Also, it's nice to see someone whose primary strength isn't in direct conflict.

I really like it. I enjoyed when someone took his ability and they had no built up shields. Leading to them going insane. It was great. :allears:

Yeah, it's a great series for what it is. It helped to have all three first books to read when I started.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jim's at Dragon Con. It looks like he's been hitting the gym.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I could use some recommendations for more audiobooks, as I seem to go through them at an alarming rate while stocking at work. This is where I am on the normal series: up to date on Dresden, Rivers of London, Laundry Files, The Rook, Felix Castor.

This leaves London Falling and Twenty Palaces from the recommendation list, but it doesn't look like London Falling has an audiobook version, and Twenty Palaces unfortunately only seems to have one audiobook out there. I'm iffy on Iron Druid given the reaction here, but I suppose I could always try Sandman Slim?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Jim's at Dragon Con. It looks like he's been hitting the gym.

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding.

Dem arms.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Darksaber posted:

I could use some recommendations for more audiobooks, as I seem to go through them at an alarming rate while stocking at work. This is where I am on the normal series: up to date on Dresden, Rivers of London, Laundry Files, The Rook, Felix Castor.

This leaves London Falling and Twenty Palaces from the recommendation list, but it doesn't look like London Falling has an audiobook version, and Twenty Palaces unfortunately only seems to have one audiobook out there. I'm iffy on Iron Druid given the reaction here, but I suppose I could always try Sandman Slim?

Are you looking for only urban fantasy?

Sandman Slim, The Grimnoir Chronicles (Takes place in the 1930's)and The Mercy Thompson series are all decent urban fantasy options. If you are looking for other fantasy genres as well I can give a better list.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Darksaber posted:

Seconding mercy Thompson, adding Kate Griffins midnight mayor series.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ConfusedUs posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding.

Dem arms.

"Do you even write, bro?"

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Just got done with my first binge of Dresden since Cold Days came out, and holy poo poo is everything ramping up.

Cannot wait for Skin Game.

E: I was going to reread Codex Alera next, but I think I'll give Aaronovitch and Stross a look.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 2, 2013

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

Just got done with my first binge of Dresden since Cold Days came out, and holy poo poo is everything ramping up.

Cannot wait for Skin Game.

E: I was going to reread Codex Alera next, but I think I'll give Aaronovitch and Stross a look.

I honestly couldn't get into Aaronovitch's series. I read Midnight Riot, and while it had promise, it felt like a more lifeless version of Dresden. And the side plot with the rivers (do I need to spoil that? Going to anyway) seemed to be resolved in a really rushed manner that had nothing to do (that I could tell, anyway) with what Peter saw when he was in that vestiga/ghost realm. By the end of the book, the whole thing just felt bland and boring to me. Maybe the series gets better as it goes on, but I'm not in any rush to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Four days, four signings, seventeen books. :v:

• Locked thread