Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Really enjoying this remix of "Make Love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jPO2K6WRQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Lose Yourself to Dance just had a video thing on the VMAs.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/948953/lose-yourself-to-dance-at-the-video-music-awards.jhtml#id=1712355

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 26, 2013

StrangeWhatLoveDoes
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Stokowski, we need more dinosaurs.

Well that really couldn't have been any more boring and generic. It's like they saw the Soul Train vid and thought, "that was cool - let's do that. Exactly that".

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Is that clip really the whole thing? I am on the left coast so maybe I will just not bother recording the VMAs just for this...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is that clip really the whole thing? I am on the left coast so maybe I will just not bother recording the VMAs just for this...

Yup that was the whole thing.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Was that a promo for an album I've had for 3 months? I don't really get it.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
After the whole Colbert flap, that was... incredibly disappointing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I love the style of these little snippets they have done. Makes me want a full length movie of the whole thing. Maybe with a nice multi channel mix. I could watch that. Daily.

Makes me want to find my copy of Interstellar 5555 or whatever the Discovery video was. Heck, now I want to try to find it on bluray.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

RetroHelix posted:

After the whole Colbert flap, that was... incredibly disappointing.

Right? I thought they were doing some big show tonight, nooope.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Seriously, that was boring as hell. Wasn't anything that deserved that much controversy with the whole Colbert thing. I don't know what I expected exactly, but I expected more from the robots :(

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

I've loved everything Daft Punk has done this year, but blasting out another pre-recorded 60 second mystery performance like this really treads into "gently caress off" territory at this point.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Ultimate Mango posted:

I love the style of these little snippets they have done. Makes me want a full length movie of the whole thing. Maybe with a nice multi channel mix. I could watch that. Daily.

Makes me want to find my copy of Interstellar 5555 or whatever the Discovery video was. Heck, now I want to try to find it on bluray.

I sat down with a cold beer and watched it on blu-ray last night. It was just as awesome as I thought it would be. I love "Interstella 5555".

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
After the Colbert flap that "appearance" was kind of a let down.

Datasmurf posted:

I sat down with a cold beer and watched it on blu-ray last night. It was just as awesome as I thought it would be. I love "Interstella 5555".

I recently showed Interstella 5555 to my 3 year old wondering if she would like it at all. A month later it is her go to movie when she gets to watch TV. She preforms "One More Time" and then pretty much acts out most of the movie like it was Rocky Horror Picture Show. She will also act out the scenes just listening the Discovery Album which is currently in heavy rotation in the house and and our cars because of her demands.

We've learned the names of the major characters...
Drummer: Baryl
Keyboardist/Vocalist: Octave
Guitar Player: Arpeggius
Bass Player: Stella
Hero: Shep
Mean Guy: Earl of Darkwood

She also recently go into the song "Technologic" which she refers to as "Check My Logic".

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Aww. :)

A friend of mine showed his niece the movie earlier this Summer. She loved it. When I get kids, I'll do to them as my parents did to me. Introduce them to great music from when they're toddlers.

Dlowmx
Feb 5, 2007
Eh

StrangeWhatLoveDoes posted:

Well that really couldn't have been any more boring and generic. It's like they saw the Soul Train vid and thought, "that was cool - let's do that. Exactly that".

This. Exactly this. Except with the production values of an energy drink commercial.

And as annoyed/over the whole minute video thing, it's what they stated they were going to be doing from the beginning.

I also put my 2 and a half year old daughter to Interstella 5555, she can sing along to the whole album from start to finish now :)

Dlowmx fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 26, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Interstella 5555 - babysitter
Electroma - nap inducer

Throw in a plush version of the dog from da funk and look out baby genius series

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Datasmurf posted:

I still haven't picked up the bluray because I heard it was just an upscaled version of the dvd.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
It may have been, but the BR I bought had more extra materials and was a couple of minutes longer than my DVD version.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Man, the album itself is loving great. But everything else they've done with it has been whack. Whack as hell.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

After the Colbert flap that "appearance" was kind of a let down.

I recently showed Interstella 5555 to my 3 year old wondering if she would like it at all. A month later it is her go to movie when she gets to watch TV. She preforms "One More Time" and then pretty much acts out most of the movie like it was Rocky Horror Picture Show. She will also act out the scenes just listening the Discovery Album which is currently in heavy rotation in the house and and our cars because of her demands.

We've learned the names of the major characters...
Drummer: Baryl
Keyboardist/Vocalist: Octave
Guitar Player: Arpeggius
Bass Player: Stella
Hero: Shep
Mean Guy: Earl of Darkwood

She also recently go into the song "Technologic" which she refers to as "Check My Logic".

They made an action figure playset of the band but good luck finding it... Not buying it years ago is a huge regret of mine.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

7seven7 posted:

Man, the album itself is loving great. But everything else they've done with it has been whack. Whack as hell.

Yeah. I love the album too, but honestly, "Give life back to music"? That is bullshit. Music has lost it's life and here come the saviours! I've NEVER had an easier time finding awesome fantastic music that I love! They talk about it being impossible to distinguish artists by their individual sound anymore because it all blends together, but honestly, is there anything at all in their album that would let you know it's Daft Punk except for the vocoders?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I don't know if that is what they are saying necessarily (re: recognizing music), but just that they wish that more music had a personal touch/organic feel. For example I don't know the difference between Avicii/David Guetta/Steve Aoki and I'm not sure there is one (feel free to correct me)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Greenplastic posted:

Yeah. I love the album too, but honestly, "Give life back to music"? That is bullshit. Music has lost it's life and here come the saviours! I've NEVER had an easier time finding awesome fantastic music that I love! They talk about it being impossible to distinguish artists by their individual sound anymore because it all blends together, but honestly, is there anything at all in their album that would let you know it's Daft Punk except for the vocoders?

Well for one there's that muted rhythm guitar sound, usually with wah pedal. They love that poo poo. Not that your point doesn't stand but there are some touchstones other than the VC.

Edit: I like the VMA clip, wish it was a whole video. After the Get Lucky remix I pretty much checked out though, might as well just be pleasantly surprised by what you get than sit around waiting for more of that like it's Christmas or something.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 26, 2013

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

mutata posted:

They made an action figure playset of the band but good luck finding it... Not buying it years ago is a huge regret of mine.

Yeah, I saw that. :stare: They made 5,555 sets of them. So they seem to be pretty limited. I also saw that you can buy them now for around $280.00. which is not quite "open the box and give them to a 3 year old" territory.

Edit: VVVV :ssh:

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 26, 2013

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's a set on ebay for like $60 at the moment, but who knows.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here's the thing they premiered on the VMAs in case anyone didn't catch it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGGZ1HULZQo

It's on their official YouTube and listed as "Lose Yourself to Dance (Official)", so I guess this one minute clip is actually the full video :confused:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Sir we've shot approximately 10 hours worth of footage for this one minute clip, do you have any kind of guide for how to cut it down?

"find every single shot where guyman is thrusting his crotch too much"

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Datasmurf posted:

Holy poo poo it IS on bluray.

I wonder what happens if you mute the movie and play RAM at the same time...

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I want a loving video for Touch.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

crankdatbatman posted:

I want a loving video.

Fix'd

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's on their official YouTube and listed as "Lose Yourself to Dance (Official)", so I guess this one minute clip is actually the full video :confused:

I don't know what happened to Daft Punk but i don't like it. They've become so sterile and commercial i just can't relate much.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Modest Mike posted:

I don't know what happened to Daft Punk but i don't like it. They've become so sterile and commercial i just can't relate much.

Okay I blasted them a minute ago but this is kind of a stretch to say about two guys in costumes who say nothing

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Rocco posted:

Okay I blasted them a minute ago but this is kind of a stretch to say about two guys in costumes who say nothing

I think the whole Colbert affair (which really may have been more on his end) with an appearance at the VMAs (a very commercial and non-electronic event) which turned out to just be a loving commercial/promo video for the new song can leave a very "commercial" taste in someone's mouth.

I'm no big long time crazy fan, but Daft Punk always seemed to do their own thing and have enough cache as artists to not let the label lead them around by the strings/buy into the MTV stunts.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well for one there's that muted rhythm guitar sound, usually with wah pedal. They love that poo poo. Not that your point doesn't stand but there are some touchstones other than the VC.

You're probably right, a keen ear could probably find lots, I guess I'm just kind of sad I'm getting this feeling that they've started acting like they're above the rest of the music industry somehow. I guess it's mostly "give life back to music" that irks me. I just think it's a ludicrous and reactionary statement. Commercial music played on the radio has always been poo poo, you've always had to search for the music that has "life", the only difference nowadays in my opinion is that there has never been more music to choose from.

And just to state it again since I'm ranting: i DO love Random Access Memories. I just don't want DP turning into grumpy, reactionary old men!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
From my perspective it's important to consider the line before "give life back to music" and that's "Let the music of your life, give life back to music". To me it says that it's important to look to what was good in the past and use that to gauge how to move forward. Framed that way it's actually a pretty humble take on music creation.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Lines up with them just wanting 30-60 second video promos for their videos like they were talking about a few months back, I guess. Oh well.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

From my perspective it's important to consider the line before "give life back to music" and that's "Let the music of your life, give life back to music". To me it says that it's important to look to what was good in the past and use that to gauge how to move forward. Framed that way it's actually a pretty humble take on music creation.

Great point! Didn't consider that.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Have these guys made ANY live performance of anything off the latest album? Any huge opportunity to show this off live (That thing in austrailia, colbert, the vma's) has ended up with something pre-recorded or cancelled. It's really fueling my inner :tinfoil:.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Well the album hasn't been out for that long and they aren't exactly a band that "performs" live very frequently. Time will tell I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

thathonkey posted:

Well the album hasn't been out for that long and they aren't exactly a band that "performs" live very frequently. Time will tell I guess.

I am not a huge Daft Punk fan and don't really know their typical touring tendencies, but this album has been out for long enough for a tour or at least a live performance to be made. Most bands are doing Letterman or the like BEFORE their album hits. But Daft Punk is different, I suppose.

Also, that Lose Yourself to Dance thing looks exactly like the Get Lucky video. If I was just born yesterday, I'd almost think Daft Punk was a Pharrell side project.

• Locked thread