Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I know it's not good for them but god drat do I love a fat dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

catamar posted:

I found the 1/R here: http://infodog.com/RESULTS/brdrsl.htm?evno=2010241102&bno=67400

She's Sunups Dolly Parton, in case it wasn't obvious. We're going to call her Holly Pepper. I don't know a lot about dog show stuff - would the person listed as her owner on that page be considered the breeder? Her parents came from two different kennels I think and Holly's owner seemed to be more into GSDs. I think the last family she was with was too ashamed of what a manatee she is to give her back, so they brought her to the pound instead. They definitely still had the show owner's contact information because the MSPCA whited it out on some of the paperwork.

I brought her to the vet today and she's in pretty good shape! I was really worried about DM or spinal injuries because her center two toenails on her back paws are worn very short and you can hear them dragging on the ground when she trots, but the vet says she's got a good range of motion and places her feet properly when she's standing still. She's obviously at risk for arthritis, but the vet says I should just walk her as much as she wants and that we should expect her to reach a healthier weight (~35lbs) within 6 months.

Oh awesome. That means she was 1st in her class (which only had her so not too impressive) and went reserve (or runner up) to the Best of Opposite Sex winner.

So her dam is this lovely girl and I would contact her breeder, Hedgerow cardigans about your tubster. It seems like she was leased to Cardach cardigans, who co-bred her originally, and had your girl there. Your dog was then sent to Sunup cardigans, possibly as the foundation for their kennel but I can't find them anywhere else so maybe they gave up early, but Hedgerow was listed as the owner and she was shown by a professional handler.

This is her sire, from this kennel. If hedgerow doesn't get you anywhere you could try contacting them about your dog's litter and see if they remember what happened.

I'm on the hunt for sunup now because I'm nosy but let me know if you find out her real history! She is a lovely, if mysterious, dog :3:

catamar
May 23, 2008
I found Sunup GSDs, who have the same contact name and location as Sunup Cardigans, via a GSD rescue site. I wrote a really long email, angsted about whether or not to send it, and then it bounced. :( The only other place I've found a reference to Sunup was pupwups.com or something. It looked like a puppy broker and they had the same contact email as the one I found earlier.

I'll try reaching out to Hedgerow next week. My mom is getting married in Minneapolis on Saturday and we're moving into our new house in Boston on Sunday, so things are pretty crazy. We were planning to adopt a second dog after settling into the house but I've been creeping PetFinder and Holly was too good to pass up! The vet said she might not be able to do the stairs up to the bedrooms for a couple of months but suggested that we help her up and down by sort of hoisting her midsection on a towel and letting her scramble up. Has anybody here had luck with that? She hates being picked up so she's not getting back on the couch until she can do it under her own power. Her jealousy when Gansett hops up is palpable.

Don't be embarassed, IJ, I've done a lot of Internet Detective work on this dog too. Let me know if you want her AKC registration # or anything. I found two of her siblings' show results via infodog.com but haven't found any pictures yet! That's what I really want. Isn't that why we all visit this thread?

Porkchops at the park:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Niuniu reacting to a lime. Vine for better quality: https://vine.co/v/heiWjIPJrvl

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

systran posted:

Niuniu reacting to a lime. Vine for better quality: https://vine.co/v/heiWjIPJrvl

Aww! I gave Orbit some lemon and thought he'd make a face but he just scarfed it up and looked at me like "what's the big deal, human?"

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Citrus isn't good for doggies.

Once I found a lemon in the backyard (I don't know what it was doing there.) So I started playing fetch with it and my roommates' dog. He brought it back three or four times. Then, he bit through the skin, made a hilarious dog-face and said gently caress that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

catamar posted:

She's GIGANTIC. OBESE. She weighs 53.5 lbs.

Holy cow, that's huge. Best of luck getting her weight down.

Millions posted:

And I made a small purchase.

I got a pair of these last time I was in Florida. Don't plan on them surviving more than two washes. Save them for special occasions.

edit

thylacine posted:

Citrus isn't good for doggies.

Igby loves dried mangoes and I haven't seen anything bad about them. I hear that lemons/limes/oranges aren't very good for them, specifically the rind.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 26, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Today was bath day for Butters.

Burrito dog! No idea how I got him to hold that pose while I took pictures.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

:3: that's pretty cute so I have to share a recent pic I took of Panda.

She hates being wrapped in a towel. No way I could get her to be still like that.

catamar
May 23, 2008
HamPlanet Holly chased a kitten up a tree in our yard today! We're both so proud. She came to work with me last week.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Has anyone else's corgi been hit hard by the weather shift into autumn? Tegan has been miserable the past few days, reverse sneezing all the time :(

This is the face of snuffly depression.

vvv :hfive:

Millions fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 18, 2013

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
My dog, Lewis, has been bothered by a couple spots on the inside of his back legs... not too much sneezing though.

Also Indy Corgis 4eva.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 18, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Millions posted:

Has anyone else's corgi been hit hard by the weather shift into autumn? Tegan has been miserable the past few days, reverse sneezing all the time :(

This is the face of snuffly depression.

Lucy's arthritis is acting up, she has more trouble getting up. Has anyone had cold-laser therapy done on their older dog?

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
I've posted some pictures in the new puppy thread, but for some reason I haven't posted any here. This is Miles, i've had him for a month and he's been absolutely fantastic so far. Had a scare when he had a seizure, but that's been just a one time incident thus far. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Miles is super cute! My aunt and uncle had a lab named Miles who ended up being 120lbs. Basically, watch out.

Gansett and Holly both seem a little peppier now that it's cool, but Gansett has also had some itchy spots on his back legs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Miles is drat cute and reminds me of Butters when he was a puppy.

Butters sleeps by the door a lot these days, but that's nothing new. I think he's just sick of me being home all the time (me too little buddy, finding a job is impossible these days). I'm sure he's happy that the weather is starting to cool off though, this apartment gets hot pretty easily when the weather's nice.

hardstyle
Mar 12, 2004

"...Neither seen nor heard"

catamar posted:

I just adopted a corgi from the MSPCA today! She's GIGANTIC. OBESE. She weighs 53.5 lbs. She came named Dolly, but I haven't picked a new name yet. I've loved all your corgi pictures (and I worry about all your corgi problems) so I'm going to pay it back with some tragicomic photos of my own.

Here's Dolly, per her PetFinder post:

Old post but did you get her from Angel in Boston? I saw a dog just like that there but didn't think she'd make a good first dog with the weight issue. Glad she got a good home :)

catamar
May 23, 2008

hardstyle posted:

Old post but did you get her from Angel in Boston? I saw a dog just like that there but didn't think she'd make a good first dog with the weight issue. Glad she got a good home :)

I totally did! Did you meet her while she was there? She didn't seem super into us or Gansett when we met her in their exercise yards (twice) but she bonded with us really quickly. She's actually the easiest dog I've ever had. Great verbal recall, very eager to please, and her energy skyrocketed after a couple weeks of lower food and higher exercise. She can almost trot all the way around the block! She's crazy about chasing squirrels and the kittens who hang out in our yard. I take her to Stony Brook a couple of times a week and she gets overwhelmed by all the smells. I don't think she's been "hiking" before. She only has one problem - peeing on my favorite Ikea rug while we're at work. She's only alone for 6-7 hours because of our offset work schedules but I think we'll have to crate her. Our other dog is loose during the day and I'm worried that she'll get worked up about it which is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. We're going to the vet for a weigh-in tomorrow and I'm excited to see how much weight she's lost!

catamar
May 23, 2008

catamar posted:

HamPlanet Holly chased a kitten up a tree in our yard today! We're both so proud. She came to work with me last week.

Holly was an office dog again today. I think she looks a little thinner! I took her to the vet for a weigh-in at lunch and she's down to 46.7lbs.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

catamar posted:

Holly was an office dog again today. I think she looks a little thinner! I took her to the vet for a weigh-in at lunch and she's down to 46.7lbs.

Wow, she weighs twice a Neigé!

Speaking of, here are some recent pictures of the dog who is currently occupying my lap and using Diego the board-and-train schnauzer as a pillow.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

catamar posted:

She looks much healthier! Good work! :) What a cutie.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

catamar posted:

I want to give her so many cuddles it's ridiculous. I love her!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Bailey had his MRI/chest xray/spinal tap yesterday. He's been having some weakness involvement in the right hind leg now - not much, but enough that I could see it. It seemed like the steroids/gabapentin/muscle relaxer/pain meds he was getting were helping. The MRI showed a small area of disc compression, however, it is not so extreme as to cause the paralysis that Bailey is exhibiting. All other tests came out fine, so we're looking at a strong probability that the diagnosis is DM.

Since his anesthesia yesterday, he's been dragging the left rear leg where he was usually able to stand on it (somewhat wobbly). It has been improving it seems, especially when he is motivated by food. He's still needing a sling to go potty, but is getting better with standing on the left leg. We've been looking at special harnesses that can work with leashes to be come a sort of sling, we've got our wheelchair vendor picked. He's still getting pain meds/muscle relaxers when he needs it, since he does have that area of compression that could hurt from time to time.

It really sucks that my little buddy is facing this, but I am hoping for a few more good years with him. He is the best dog!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

After dying at the #starbucksdrakehand viral video, I had to make one with pita...

http://instagram.com/p/fRHpM9u4W0/

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Are any of you guys in socal and going to the 2nd annual corgi beach day at Huntington dog beach?

We don't own a corgi, but we're going to see the mass cuteness anyhow.

It runs from 11 to 2 for any socal corgi owners.

mary brooke
Oct 12, 2005

i'm not mad, i'm furious!
Meet Neville Longbottom! My brand new corgi pup :3:

mary brooke fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 18, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

mary brooke posted:

Congrats on the new pup :3: Seeing puppy pics makes me sentimental to when Panda was a puppy but then I think of all the training, chewing, peeing, etc and I'm glad she past it all. Good luck on the new puppy. He's pretty adorable.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

mary brooke posted:

What a cutie :3: His blaze is so big! Tegan's is super thin (and slightly lopsided, which bugs me a lot sometimes)

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006
Oh god those toes! :3: He's adorable.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My wife and I have been searching for months trying to find breeders with upcoming litters but haven't had any luck in our area. But fortunately I just talked to a woman today who had a litter last month and has one sable male still available. We'll be picking him up Thanksgiving weekend. :3

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Update: We're picking up our corgi Thanksgiving weekend. Our breeder is AKC registered and lives near Sacramento, California. The puppy's mother is featured in the 2014 Pembroke Welsh Corgi Calendar as "Miss March". Her puppies from a past litter are in the 2014 Corgi Puppy Calendar featured in April and October.

Mother:

Father:

Our future child:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Do all corgi's crap so much? I started walking the corgi with my basset every morning for about the last month, and Lucy the corgster shits 3-5 times each trip. I gave up on recycling grocery bags and bought some dog poop bags so I can carry enough. I assume it has something to do with their anatomy? Or is this abnormal?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In my experience, yes.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Panda tends to poop twice in the morning and then periodically throughout the day. She's a runt of a corgi though.

Our cat Geoffrey has finally started willfully playing with Panda. He pretends that he hates her but I've seen them chasing each other around and having a good time.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Sometimes Holly poops twice in one walk, it drives me crazy. Gansett is a 1.5 poops per day dog.

We had a setback in her weight loss last weekend - we came upstairs and found Gansett shoulder-deep in a 30lb bag of Blue Buffalo. Holly was passed out in the dining room and it looked like she had swallowed a basketball. Dogs!

mary brooke
Oct 12, 2005

thylacine posted:

Do all corgi's crap so much? I started walking the corgi with my basset every morning for about the last month, and Lucy the corgster shits 3-5 times each trip. I gave up on recycling grocery bags and bought some dog poop bags so I can carry enough. I assume it has something to do with their anatomy? Or is this abnormal?

Neville poops at least 6 times a day. It's kind of ridiculous. I'm thinking he may have worms so we'll see if it slows down a bit after we get some dewormer from the vet tomorrow.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
My oldest boy Dexter is a two poops per day type of dude, but we call our youngest Dewey Two-Shits because we don't bother bringing him back inside after a walk unless he has dropped precisely two deuces.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Good to know. My ex-roomates pit/shepard mutt was kind enough to only poop in his backyard—no matter how far I'd walk him he'd wait until he got home.

mary brooke
Oct 12, 2005

I Might Be Adam posted:

Congrats on the new pup :3: Seeing puppy pics makes me sentimental to when Panda was a puppy but then I think of all the training, chewing, peeing, etc and I'm glad she past it all. Good luck on the new puppy. He's pretty adorable.

Oh god the chewing! He's really the first puppy I've had since I was a kid, and I forgot how much they chew and bite. And he bites really hard! I'm trying to follow the advice of the internet and yell ouch when he bites me, but unfortunately my lab gets really upset and runs over to growl at him whenever I do that. They are just starting to get along so I don't want to do anything to strain their relationship but I also don't want to get bit anymore : (

bonus video: https://vine.co/v/hdrpP2avueB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace is the master of pooping in quantities that should be impossible for his size. He will poop 5 times in one walk just because and then poop 3 more times a few hours later on a walk. Because he will do this I can't take him to Petsmart or anything because he will try to poop in every aisle even if I take him for an extremely long walk beforehand. He'll even just crouch every couple of feet like he's trying if it's a place that he's decided needs some poop.

He's otherwise perfectly housetrained. Stores just need to be pooped on I guess.

• Locked thread