Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
"As a painter I just wanted to let you know that my new monitor.."

Happy Monday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Yes a very happy Monday. Customer of mine has an old system that had a certificate expire. The vendor needs to update the cert, since we don't have access. However, the system is not under maintenance, so they will not work on it without having us purchase a new service contract. Basically maintenance referred me to sales. So now I am talking to sales, and they are telling me that I should just put in a maintenance ticket.

And they put in the ticket for me! Very odd. Let's see how far this goes before someone brings up money this time.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Motronic posted:

Wait now.....exactly where in exactly what code says you can run a temporary extension through a wall penetration?

That's a new one on me.

The idea is you're not supposed to do that, but I've seen it done. I've actually bitched out for running extension cords in the conduit sleeves with my data cabling, but the electrician says, "Seems fine to me!", and that's about as far as I get with that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A phishing site report came in. I swear, these are getting more and more ridiculous. If a phishing site's URL doesn't fit in a drat tweet, even with the http header stripped, you'd think it would never work, but nah, it probably is harvesting by the boatload. :negative:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Partycat posted:

The idea is you're not supposed to do that, but I've seen it done. I've actually bitched out for running extension cords in the conduit sleeves with my data cabling, but the electrician says, "Seems fine to me!", and that's about as far as I get with that.

Yeah, you can't run high volt extension cable through a wall penetration in any code I've ever seen. So unless those number you posted relate to some code I'm not aware of that says it's OK, it's not.

It's also not OK to bundle high volt and low volt. Some codes may allow it through certain conduits, but it's a really bad idea form both a safety and RF interference standpoint (if we're talking low volt data cable).

Your electrician is an idiot and you should find another who isn't actively trying to kill someone with corner-cutting and ignorance.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I purchase a new PC I usually get a surge strip along with it so I can throw away the old horrid ones I find stuffed into crevices around the offices.

The best is when you discover some yellow, stained strip under a desk that you want to replace but when you follow it to the outlet it's plugged into another decrepit strip. My rule is to replace the farthest upstream strip and work my way back.

Unless it's trapped by furniture. Those ones will stay there until the end of time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

Unless it's trapped by furniture. Those ones will stay there until the blaze that takes out my office building.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
There's this gigabit ethernet switch that was used for low-importance internal-stuff-only computers in our Box Office for about 12-13 years. It never got replaced because "It's still working after 5/8/10 years! That means it must be great!" The thing was yellow as hell plastic and looked unlike any gigabit switch I had ever seen.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

tehloki posted:

There's this gigabit ethernet switch that was used for low-importance internal-stuff-only computers in our Box Office for about 12-13 years.

Gigabit has been a thing for that long? Suddenly I feel old.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fun fact, a clean install of Server 2003 R2 w/SP2 needs 133 high priority windows updates. Why couldn't they have released an SP3?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

skipdogg posted:

Fun fact, a clean install of Server 2003 R2 w/SP2 needs 133 high priority windows updates. Why couldn't they have released an SP3?

Because they don't want you installing 2003 R2. They sure aren't going to make it easier.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

tehloki posted:

There's this gigabit ethernet switch that was used for low-importance internal-stuff-only computers in our Box Office for about 12-13 years. It never got replaced because "It's still working after 5/8/10 years! That means it must be great!" The thing was yellow as hell plastic and looked unlike any gigabit switch I had ever seen.

Sounds like an old 3Com office connect. I had an old 10/100 that was like that. Even the little 8 port GbE switch I have is starting to yellow (and I don't smoke).

SFWarlock posted:

Gigabit has been a thing for that long? Suddenly I feel old.
According to Wikipedia, it's been around since 1999. I knew Gigabit fiber had been around at least that long, but thought GbE wasn't until early 2000's. Oh, god... The article mentions Gigabit hubs. :suicide:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

tehloki posted:

There's still 10mb coax in use here.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GreenNight posted:

Because they don't want you installing 2003 R2. They sure aren't going to make it easier.

You could install Server 2008, Server 2008 SP2, Server 2008 R2, Server 2008 R2 SP1, or Server 2012 instead.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

TWBalls posted:

Sounds like an old 3Com office connect.

Yes! That was it. Of course as soon as we tore down the stadium last year I threw it the hell out because if I didn't I'm sure somebody would tell me "just use the switch that was in the old box office, it worked fine" when I was setting up the new one.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A ticket came in.

To my personal email address.

From a user who has not been with my company for more than a year.

:reject:

Edit: ok here's the ticket

quote:

Hi stranger! Hope all is well. I'm having a computer issue. Everytime I try to attach something to an email, whether I'm using Explorer or Firefox, my gmail account or my umich account, the internet shuts down. Any ideas?

:siren: The entire internet shuts down! :siren:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 26, 2013

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Sirotan posted:

A ticket came in.

Edit: ok here's the ticket

:siren: The entire internet shuts down! :siren:

What are you unhappy about, this is carte blanche to go buck wild

My suggestion is "well, this gives you great leverage for some international terrorism. Demand $50 million from the UN or you will shut down the internet - FOREVER."

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

TWBalls posted:

According to Wikipedia, it's been around since 1999. I knew Gigabit fiber had been around at least that long, but thought GbE wasn't until early 2000's. Oh, god... The article mentions Gigabit hubs. :suicide:

I still have notes somewhere around here that says "10 mbit to the desktops, 100mbit between the servers, gig fiber between floors."

Sirotan posted:

A ticket came in.

Let me guess. They kept their company laptop and expect you to support it.

FAKEEDIT: Wireless switch.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

An update on the Saga of Fuckstick McGee:

Our missing laptop count hit 29. This winds its way back to the CIO - who approved unlocking the laptops in the first place - who decides that the new solution, instead of replacing the regular locks, will be to keep the laptops locked in the flimsy room cupboards when they are not actively in use.

Today we find one of the cupboards shimmied open and two more laptops missing, bringing the grand total to 31.

It's a clear case of theft, but I poked around Craigslist and eBay and none of our poo poo is showing up - we have a thief of moderate intelligence, it seems.

The thing that kills me is we have a bunch of office services types who have nominal interaction with this tech, and we're paying them like $10 an hour. Of COURSE they have incentive to steal. It's on us to make that not happen, except our upper management has specifically barred us from using the only effective tool we have to make that stop happening.

This whole situation is so loving stupid.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

We have a couple of somewhat similar stupid situations with laptops here. I had a small stack of laptops that were supposed to be loaners for end users. Some of the other techs loaned them out without telling me and none of them thought to take note of whom is borrowing what. I now have no more loaners and no one knows where the others are.

We ordered about 10 or so laptops for the O.R. (4 for main O.R., 4 for Outpatient Surgery O.R and 2 for Labor & Delivery O.R.) They were all purchased with locks so that they wouldn't be stolen or moved around. We've already had to have a couple of them fixed/replaced due to the Anesthesiology techs dropping them. We've also had to make an easy labeling system for them since they keep moving around. ORLAP-01 should naturally go in O.R. Room 1, but of course it's not always there which can be a pain when you are trying to remote into it to help them with issues (otherwise you gotta put on a bunny suit, cap and face mask in order to go into the room and fix it).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

TWBalls posted:

(otherwise you gotta put on a bunny suit, cap and face mask in order to go into the room and fix it).

I can just see you walking into a L&D OR: The women is up on the table, feet in stirrups and sees you walk in. "You aren't my regular doctor."

"No ma'am. I'm IT. This laptop over in the corner can't print and it's of CRITICAL IMPORTANCE and it's AFFECTING PRODUCTION so I have to take care of it now. I hope you don't mind while I download windows updates...?"

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Agrikk posted:

"No ma'am. I'm IT. This laptop over in the corner can't print and it's of CRITICAL IMPORTANCE and it's AFFECTING PRODUCTION of babies so I have to take care of it now. I hope you don't mind while I download windows updates...?"

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

You could install Server 2008, Server 2008 SP2, Server 2008 R2, Server 2008 R2 SP1, or Server 2012 instead.

2008 R2 SP1 is now up to 110 updates too...

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Our missing laptop count hit 29. This winds its way back to the CIO - who approved unlocking the laptops in the first place - who decides that the new solution, instead of replacing the regular locks, will be to keep the laptops locked in the flimsy room cupboards when they are not actively in use.

Today we find one of the cupboards shimmied open and two more laptops missing, bringing the grand total to 31.

It's a clear case of theft, but I poked around Craigslist and eBay and none of our poo poo is showing up - we have a thief of moderate intelligence, it seems.

The thing that kills me is we have a bunch of office services types who have nominal interaction with this tech, and we're paying them like $10 an hour. Of COURSE they have incentive to steal. It's on us to make that not happen, except our upper management has specifically barred us from using the only effective tool we have to make that stop happening.

This might've been already shot down, but what about getting some sort of indelible labels on them (like the STOPTheft Plate ) or getting Lojack for Laptops for your company?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
:yotj: is official. Notice given at current and job accepted at next gig.
I was asked by new boss what mobile device I wanted. Let's hope I don't regret taking the Surface Pro option.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Congratulations!

If anyone wanted to know which company has the worst voice-directed customer support I can tell you: It's Pitney Bowes. Our postage meter stopped connecting via the analog line so they sent us a replacement. This one won't even detect a carrier. I call their support number and it's voice directed. It's taken me a total of ten tries to get two successful calls, because when I say "technical support" I get every other possibility (Ex: "Did you say 'sales'?") and when it falls back to a voice/keypad combo and I hit 2 for tech support it just drops the call.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Got a call to go into a school where the network was down today. Simple switch issue. Afterwards, I'm talking to the teacher at her desk and I notice two bottles on it. One is hand sanitizer, the other is... I.D Glide personal lube. I say to her "You might want to put that other bottle away" to which she replies "They're both hand sanitizer." She picked one up, read the label aloud and then picked up the other and began to read it. When she realized what it was, she blushed a little and said "Let's throw this away" and put it somewhere behind her desk. We gave each other a knowing look.

I happened to have been behind her desk earlier and I know where she put it was in her purse, because the nearest trashcan is 10 feet from her.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I still hate Siebel. What kind of ticketing system doesn't let you search ticket text, makes all the text boxes 250x250px, and can't handle multiple browser tabs?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Agrikk posted:

I can just see you walking into a L&D OR: The women is up on the table, feet in stirrups and sees you walk in. "You aren't my regular doctor."

"No ma'am. I'm IT. This laptop over in the corner can't print and it's of CRITICAL IMPORTANCE and it's AFFECTING PRODUCTION so I have to take care of it now. I hope you don't mind while I download windows updates...?"

This is how speculum bucket accidents happen. :barf:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Antioch posted:

Checking in with today's "gently caress Printers"

We are finally getting around to rolling out Windows 7 x64 laptops outside of IS.
No one on the deployment team told us that was happening - the timeline got pushed up and wasn't communicated at all.
This means there's about 200 printers across five 2003 x86 print servers that need to be migrated to the new 2008R2 print server so they can have x64 print drivers.

And *of course* it's affecting production and *of course* it's urgent that Johnny O'SalesDouche and Jane McSellYouShit have *THEIR* printers right now and DON'T YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS and DROP EVERYTHING IT'S A PRINTER EMERGENCY.

I hate printers.

I hate users.

Last week was "Printer Failure Week" at our company.

An old workhorse Cp4025 was jamming while attempting duplex printing, and its stuck on "replace transfer kit" despite the fact that a brand new one was installed like 9 months ago
Our two week old replacement for a printer that somebody ran labels through (which was also brand new mind you) is chewing up documents in the doc feeder
Our big MFP Sharp MX300 is being hammered with enormous print jobs and a belt snapped, basically the entire fuser unit is being replaced.
As a temporary stand in, we installed an HPLJ 200 (something like that) and they emptied the black toner in under 48 hours. Of course the HR lady didn't listen to me when I told her to stock up on cartridges, and our Office Depot card has been deactivated.
Sharp MX5001n needed a staple cartridge installed at 5:59pm, I put in an extra half an hour of unpaid time trying to jam it in. No dice. Oh and then same printer... Major jam in the center passthrough tray which someone made worse by trying to rip said drawer out. (Again, like 5 minutes before I was set to clock out)

:negative:

drukqs fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 26, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

Congratulations!

If anyone wanted to know which company has the worst voice-directed customer support I can tell you: It's Pitney Bowes. Our postage meter stopped connecting via the analog line so they sent us a replacement. This one won't even detect a carrier. I call their support number and it's voice directed. It's taken me a total of ten tries to get two successful calls, because when I say "technical support" I get every other possibility (Ex: "Did you say 'sales'?") and when it falls back to a voice/keypad combo and I hit 2 for tech support it just drops the call.

T-Mobile is almost this bad. You need to tell the nice robot lady who you need to talk to today. She'll give you two tries, and if she doesn't understand you after the second try for any level, she'll say "Sorry, I'm afraid I couldn't understand you. Goodbye!" AND DISCONNECTS THE CALL.

I nearly threw my phone through the window the first time this happened.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Volmarias posted:

T-Mobile is almost this bad. You need to tell the nice robot lady who you need to talk to today. She'll give you two tries, and if she doesn't understand you after the second try for any level, she'll say "Sorry, I'm afraid I couldn't understand you. Goodbye!" AND DISCONNECTS THE CALL.

T-Moble's IVR is also set up call you back on your contract's alternate phone number in 30 minutes saying, "Phone broken? We have specials when you extend your contract!"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Volmarias posted:

I guess too many customers finally figured out that just screaming incoherently while mashing the 0 button repeatedly would usually get you to a live person without having to deal with their bullshit menus, which meant they still had to actually hire live people pay some company overseas to provide live people for customers to talk to.

The best calls are the ones where you spend five minutes wading through menus, then after sitting on hold for ten or fifteen minutes the system says "I'm sorry, no one is available to answer your call right now, please try back later!" and hangs up on you. :argh:

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

drukqs posted:

Last week was "Printer Failure Week" at our company.

An old workhorse Cp4025 was jamming while attempting duplex printing, and its stuck on "replace transfer kit" despite the fact that a brand new one was installed like 9 months ago
Our two week old replacement for a printer that somebody ran labels through (which was also brand new mind you) is chewing up documents in the doc feeder
Our big MFP Sharp MX300 is being hammered with enormous print jobs and a belt snapped, basically the entire fuser unit is being replaced.
As a temporary stand in, we installed an HPLJ 200 (something like that) and they emptied the black toner in under 48 hours. Of course the HR lady didn't listen to me when I told her to stock up on cartridges, and our Office Depot card has been deactivated.
Sharp MX5001n needed a staple cartridge installed at 5:59pm, I put in an extra half an hour of unpaid time trying to jam it in. No dice. Oh and then same printer... Major jam in the center passthrough tray which someone made worse by trying to rip said drawer out. (Again, like 5 minutes before I was set to clock out)

:negative:

Last time our main b&w printer jammed at work somebody unscrewed the back and hosed the drum cartridge to death with scissors.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

:yotj: is official. Notice given at current and job accepted at next gig.
I was asked by new boss what mobile device I wanted. Let's hope I don't regret taking the Surface Pro option.

I couldcareless (:smug:) about this, but I don't so grats!

I would've gone for one with a proper keyboard dock (instead of the cover dock, my preference really), but still not a bad choice.

Dick Trauma posted:

Congratulations!

As soon as I hear that it's a voice activated system, I usually just end up yelling "ANALYST" at the phone 50 million times until it connects me to... an analyst in India!

woo

but at least I get a human.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

EuphrosyneD posted:

This might've been already shot down, but what about getting some sort of indelible labels on them (like the STOPTheft Plate ) or getting Lojack for Laptops for your company?

I'm not sure if you've followed the saga since the beginning, but the entire theft problem happened because upper management forced us to remove the laptop locks from machines that sit in the conference rooms, thus making them incredibly easy to steal.

Despite 31 missing laptops - and no laptops having gone missing at any point when we were using the cable-locks - we are not allowed to cable-lock the laptops again. Because of one managing partner who threw a hissy fit when he couldn't physically move the laptop a foot to the side during his meeting, and the CIO folding like Superman on laundry day when it came to his babby's hysterical demands.

Nobody on upper management is down for fixing a problem they themselves created. Besides, we don't even have to spend money to fix this problem, because we kept all the goddamn laptop locks that actually worked. They're just sitting in my boss's office, waiting to be useful again!

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Volmarias posted:

T-Mobile is almost this bad. ... "Sorry, I'm afraid I couldn't understand you. Goodbye!" AND DISCONNECTS THE CALL.

Sounds like whenever I would call their OSC/NOC to report a critical incident going on. TMO's first line of defense is absolutely unfuckingbearable to deal with. Yeah, sure, extend the outage to the FCC reportable mark instead of just passing it up the ladder. I didn't cause it, so you guys will be at fault. I've had them hang up on me, curse at me, and flat out refuse to open up a ticket. A guy fell asleep on a call once, too.

I started bypassing them completely and just calling the on call number for who they escalate to when we had them going on. For the record, the T2 folks were pretty drat good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tehloki posted:

Last time our main b&w printer jammed at work somebody unscrewed the back and hosed the drum cartridge to death with scissors.

What B&W printers are you using that don't have a drum in the toner cartridge?

One of my favorite recurring tickets from back in the days of the first generation HP Color LaserJet was always paper jams at one particular customer site. Or really any problem with the CLJs there. They would open the clam shell if it stopped printing.

And if you weren't around and fixing printers at the time, let me tell you how this goes hours or days later when I get on site to fix the problem:

- Remove jammed paper, clean rollers - .2 hrs
- Remove over-exposed drum unit and replace - .2 hours, $375 parts

Yep, the drum didn't have a cover when the clam shell was opened.

Of course, this was the same printer that took 3 hours+ to set up out of the box. Not counting network connectivity.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I might be :yotj:ing. I got an e-mail asking me to call the HR person from a company I interviewed with that was titled "Good News!". Unfortunately I didn't see the e-mail until after business day. So I'm either going to get a job offer or the HR lady is setting me up for a crushing rejection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

When our company got robbed a few years ago and people jacked every laptop laying in plain sight, the police said to not bother checking local craigslist because they tend to be savvy enough to at least drive a couple hundred miles away first, or pawn them off onto someone else who would do so.

tehloki posted:

Here, it's forks plus fusers. People trying to avoid putting in a ticket because they don't want to inconvenience IT and waste money and man-hours. But gently caress OkiData printers straight to hell, anyway.

Motronic posted:

What B&W printers are you using that don't have a drum in the toner cartridge?
Brother? Most of them seem to have a seperate drum in my experience, although I've only worked with 4 or 5 models. Or maybe OkiData (but I never saw one of their B&W's)

Migishu posted:

As soon as I hear that it's a voice activated system, I usually just end up yelling "ANALYST" at the phone 50 million times until it connects me to... an analyst in India!

woo

but at least I get a human.
A large portion (possibly majority) of places with voice-activated phone systems will have a loophole in place if the person on the line starts swearing or says OPERATOR, so I tend to give it a college try for about 2 minutes then I get up, close my office door, and start going FUCKSTICK OPERATOR rear end in a top hat OPERATOR THIS loving SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK OPERATOR and get shunted to a human fast.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 27, 2013

• Locked thread