Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I would google this but Google can't seem to differentiate between Windows Server 2012 with Hyper V and Windows Hyper V Server 2012

IIRC "Windows Hyper V Server 2012" is free product that is basically Windows Server 2012 Core with only the Hyper-V role (All other server roles such as AD DS are stripped out).

vvv Yeah that's what I meant by Core which has no GUI. vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's correct. It also strips out explorer and anything else that's not related to Hyper-V, the only things it can do is boot a powershell prompt, a cmd shell prompt and that's it. It kind of reminds me of the Windows version of Gentoo or CentOS minimal or something. It's managed by another machine on the network, there is no GUI. I actually managed to get chrome installed and watch youtube videos on a Hyper-V install but that's another discussion.

So I would boot a WS2012R2 VM and create a tiered storage space from the avalible local physical drives, and manage the hyper-v server from WS2012 and launch VMs that are stored on the storage space.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 26, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Aggrigate your storage with Freenas and ZFS, make 2 VHD's 20G a pop for Log and Cache then add in your slow storage

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm trying to teach myself how to deploy and manage AD, tiered storage spaces, network file permissions etc on Windows

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Minus the thirty minutes of dumbassery on my part, the whole process took 3-4 minutes.

IT.txt. If I had a nickel for every time I did almost everything right but then wasted an hour chasing down a retarded issue that turned out to be = vs == in a script or something...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Think I got this vCloud ARCH all layed out, incoming megapost sometime this week is VMworld isn't over exciting, which I am not expecting too much.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is only kind of VM related, but since it has to do with my vSphere lab: Is there a good way to figure out how much CPU horsepower you'll need to drive XYZ iops over iSCSI/NFS when you're building a SAN whitebox? I've got a handful of SSDs to throw at the project, but I don't have anything but a bunch of mid to late 2000s P4s so I don't know if that would be a huge bottleneck or whether that should be fine for a small vSphere lab. OS would be FreeNAS or Nexenta. I could just virtualize everything on one machine but I'm out of SATA ports on my lab desktop, since it's not really DEDICATED to vSphere.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

kill your idols posted:

This lets you bake the custom VIB-files into an ISO for install, mount, etc to your USB drive or whatever else you do your base installs on.

Used this to get the 82579LM NIC working on my SuperMicro board.

Handy stuff.

http://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer.html

drat, that's pretty handy. Going to have to set up a nested ESXi box and give that a whirl.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

This is only kind of VM related, but since it has to do with my vSphere lab: Is there a good way to figure out how much CPU horsepower you'll need to drive XYZ iops over iSCSI/NFS when you're building a SAN whitebox? I've got a handful of SSDs to throw at the project, but I don't have anything but a bunch of mid to late 2000s P4s so I don't know if that would be a huge bottleneck or whether that should be fine for a small vSphere lab. OS would be FreeNAS or Nexenta. I could just virtualize everything on one machine but I'm out of SATA ports on my lab desktop, since it's not really DEDICATED to vSphere.

You'd probably be okay if you stuck to iSCSI with Freenas on those boxes

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
http://virtualization.info/en/news/...ization.info%29
http://jasonnash.com/2013/08/26/vmware-releases-vsphere-5-5-whats-new/

And the NDA's are off, 5.5 coming out soon, looks like they made a lot of nice improvements, can't wait to see more cools stuff. vSans looks need so does NSX

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 26, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The better support for MSCS in Server 2012 excites me, hopefully we can finally cluster our fileservers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, VMware only talks about vSphere with Operations Management now. They seemingly do not have SKUs without Operations Management as they did before (when we purchased earlier this year.)

So, for someone with a regular Enterprise license, how are we supposed to know which features will be available to us and which features will not?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
We are really excited about vsan. We heard of the feature a while ago and have basically been trying to figure out how to do something similar ourselves.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
More vSphere 5.5 coverage:

http://wahlnetwork.com/category/deep-dives/5-5-vsphere-improvements/

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

This is pretty huge:

quote:

vSphere Hypervisor (free) has no physical memory limit anymore (was 32 GB)

Allows for cheapskates to have more flexibility, and is probably a good business decision as it's likely to attract more people to give it a shot and find themselves springing for vSphere licensing.

Neither article mentions if they're doing away with the Windows client. Rumor had it that 5.1 was the last version that supported it, but the web client suuuuuuuucks. The articles say that its performance has been improved, but I'd rather have a fallback until I'm sure it's usable.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
The web client improved a lot on 5.5 and we should see this as the last verison that uses FLEX. SSO also got a nice rewrite which is nice and needed.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 26, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

loving lol at the fact that they totally rewrote SSO just one version after it debuted. At least they can admit that it was garbage.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
There's also now a lower-level VMWare cert (VCA) that you can take without having to go to any classes.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=41162&ui=www_cert

Although it is yet to be seen if the VCA is actually valuable or not.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
The new site looks like crap IMO
http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/compare

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
The 63Tb VMFS thing is a HUGE HUGE improvement that will make me far less miserable on my database servers, file servers, Exchange server, Sharepoint server, etc. The vCenter vApp actually can manage a decent sized network now, with 500 vSphere hosts or 5,000 virtual machines. I can really see using it on my network just cause it's so easy to deploy and won't cost as much since I won't need Windows / SQL licenses.

Am I crazy or are they going to be making vSphere 5.5 available for download today? I thought he was announcing GA for it but maybe he was just announcing GA for hybrid clouds.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

El_Matarife posted:

Am I crazy or are they going to be making vSphere 5.5 available for download today? I thought he was announcing GA for it but maybe he was just announcing GA for hybrid clouds.

Usually they wait like 30-60 days for the GA download.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Okay guys you are being too positive here.

What are the negatives so far?

edit: Okay I'm reading about the VSAN and I see my boss already rubbing his hands together in an attempt to be even cheaper in our storage situation.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 26, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What the hell is up with their cert naming scheme. I don't like it.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

So is the server appliance actually worth considering now?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ghostinmyshell posted:

edit: Okay I'm reading about the VSAN and I see my boss already rubbing his hands together in an attempt to be even cheaper in our storage situation.

5.5 really is resolving a lot of my gripes with 5.1, I hope they don't pull some stupid poo poo and make all the new stuff Enterprise plus licensing requirement.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

ghostinmyshell posted:

Please remember that vSAN is still in beta (per VMWare) so it's not exactly "production-ready" just yet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This will seem a little self-involved, but: I'm doing my VCP5-DCV right now, is there a danger of a new version of this exam hiding around the corner? I'm already behind the ball by working with 5.0 curriculum as opposed to 5.1, looks like 5.5 is going to make it interesting too now.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

This will seem a little self-involved, but: I'm doing my VCP5-DCV right now, is there a danger of a new version of this exam hiding around the corner? I'm already behind the ball by working with 5.0 curriculum as opposed to 5.1, looks like 5.5 is going to make it interesting too now.

Traditionally they go to the major revision, however they may throw in some 5.1 stuff or one or two .5 questions.

Looks like the last revision is from Aug 13 2013
http://mylearn.vmware.com/lcms/web/portals/certification/VCA_Blueprints/VCAD510%20Exam%20Blueprint%20Guide%201.0.pdf

So it may be updated for 5.1(looks like some Storage DRS), but I doubt you'll see 5.5 anytime soon.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
https://www.vsphereresourcekit.com/practice-exams/ is by far the best practice bank I used when I was prepping for my VCP5-DCV. It's not a brain dump, they actually tell you why the right answers are right and the wrong answers are wrong, etc. It was recommended to me by the instructor of the optimize and scale class I took. Unfortunately, it looks semi-dead.

Number19 posted:

So is the server appliance actually worth considering now?

Sure looks like it to me. I'd like to see some testing but I'm guessing the vast majority of us aren't running >500 host > 5,0000 VM environments.

The only feature I'm really dying for is support for 4 or 8 threads in Fault Tolerance. I can't imagine a single scenario where an application needs that much reliability and only uses one thread.

What does everyone think of NSX? I know Google was talking about software defined networking as a huge performance boost to their network, which I can't really imagine with this sort of overlay. I'm not 100% sold on using VMware's solutions here either, I'd rather they keep building APIs for third party vendors who's technologies we're already using in appliance form. I know F5 already makes a load balancer as a vApp and I'm hoping to see more high quality integration of vApps from firms like Imperva or Cisco Ironport, etc. Would anyone really use VMware's VPN solution over Cisco, Juniper, Sonicwall, Fortinet, Checkpoint, etc? I also think it probably needs deep integration with hardware like the Nexus line but across a lot of vendors.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 26, 2013

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

evil_bunnY posted:

Google relaxed coscheduling, read up.

E: replying to a way old post, sorry.

Thanks for the terms to look for!

edit:

vSphere 5.5 posted:

Virtual CPUs per host 4096 (was 2048)

Phew. I'll finally be able to use all the processors in my gaming rig...

Seriously, though. What does ESXi run on that even has 4K processors? Some kind of mainframe?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 26, 2013

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
vCPUs, not physical cores. For people who love to over-provision.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
with the new read cache, it looks like you assign it per VM. How will that work with shared snapshots in a VDI environment? Can I designate that all of the machines that use this one snapshot can share the cache?

Mierdaan posted:

Who doesn't over provison?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Mierdaan posted:

Heh. My IaaS team would love it, then. :)

But doesn't the host need to have at least that many CPU cores to be able to provide that many vCPUs to the VM?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Derp mis read that yay 4 hours of sleep.

E: I also want to kick myself for over complicating vCloud, it really is a fairly straight forward product.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 26, 2013

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

E: I also want to kick myself for over complicating vButt, it really is a fairly straight forward product.

Don't worry about it. It's well worth spending as much time as you can getting familiar with all the quirks of vCloud Director, as it's got a long, bright future ahead of it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Derp mis read that yay 4 hours of sleep.

E: I also want to kick myself for over complicating vCloud, it really is a fairly straight forward product.

Do you have a book on vCloud or just trial/error and Google?

That is something I should really start utilizing. I am lazy thus love automation.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Pantology posted:

Don't worry about it. It's well worth spending as much time as you can getting familiar with all the quirks of vCloud Director, as it's got a long, bright future ahead of it.

I do not think vCloud Director has a bright future. Adoption has been weak, and that's one of the reasons Paul Maritz is no longer the CEO (supposedly). vCAC alone fits many of the roles vCD was sold for (self-service provisioning, etc), and OpenStack is the future. Even VMware couldn't ignore OpenStack in their keynote.

VMware and other companies are trying to move way too fast and adding way too much complexity for most companies. Most companies don't have a use case for NSX or vCD, and implementing them without a darn good reason is over-engineering the environment.

It's hard to even get the networking and server teams in the same room for most companies. NSX is super-duper niche. I don't even think most companies should use the dvSwitch unless there is a feature they require. Don't add complexity for no benefit!

Server virtualization caught on because it was an easy sell. Lowering costs and physical server count is no brainer. Trying to sell "operational efficiencies" to most companies that just don't have the talent in house to pull it off, or even a need for it, is not an easy sell.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

three posted:

I do not think vCloud Director has a bright future. Adoption has been weak, and that's one of the reasons Paul Maritz is no longer the CEO (supposedly). vCAC alone fits many of the roles vCD was sold for (self-service provisioning, etc), and OpenStack is the future. Even VMware couldn't ignore OpenStack in their keynote.

VMware and other companies are trying to move way too fast and adding way too much complexity for most companies. Most companies don't have a use case for NSX or vCD, and implementing them without a darn good reason is over-engineering the environment.

It's hard to even get the networking and server teams in the same room for most companies. NSX is super-duper niche. I don't even think most companies should use the dvSwitch unless there is a feature they require. Don't add complexity for no benefit!

Server virtualization caught on because it was an easy sell. Lowering costs and physical server count is no brainer. Trying to sell "operational efficiencies" to most companies that just don't have the talent in house to pull it off, or even a need for it, is not an easy sell.
The part about vCD that always seemed ironically positioned to me was that the whole service catalog function was geared towards provisioning the same services over and over at scale. These applications are by their very definition so commoditized that the people doing this never run them on name-brand hardware, never run them on expensive shared storage, and sure as poo poo aren't shelling out for expensive hypervisors and even more expensive hypervisor management products to do what stuff like OpenStack and AWS are doing for free with a decent config management platform (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc.).

OpenStack is becoming a really interesting platform, and VMware's got to throw their weight behind it if they have even a glimmer of a chance to compete with Amazon in the long term.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
My hackintosh laptop can't see its WLAN or WWAN cards. Could a Windows virtual machine see them and share access with the host Mac if connection sharing was supported? Can virtualization give my host computer vicarious access to hardware it otherwise wouldn't have, or do I not understand virtualization? Or does a VM have no access whatsoever to actual hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So it looks like in addition to my DBA and Coder hats, I'm rapidly sizing a system administrator hat for fitting. Part of this is trying to figure out how best to handle part-time virtualization of our performance test lab.

Since I barely know the architecture of VMWare/Citrix/Whatever, mostly I've just read the OP and some basic literature, I figured I'd ask the question here:

We have a very hefty performance test lab. We have a DB servers with the following stats:

512GB DDR3
2x Xeon E5-2690
43.6TB Raw storage
8TB SSD storage
10 GB Ethernet adapter

and 2x Web servers (load balanced) with these stats:

16GB DDR3
Xeon E3-1280
200GB

Given this amount of hefty architecture, would there be a way to use a separate server to virtualize the machines onto the existing hardware temporarily? For example, we might want to answer the question "How does running X software at Y workload run on Physical machines vs. virtualized machines?" and we would want to virtualize the OS, etc. for the duration of the test.

Or would it just make more sense to put together a smaller ESXi (or comparable) server that could be used for those specific tests, using a smaller dataset and such?