Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Anyone else getting bored with One Piece? Not sure if it's this arc or the pace of things. I only watch the anime but I'm just not as excited as I once was for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Gyges posted:

I'm almost certain that Usopp/Nami use the term Monster Trio in conversation.

Edit: Doing more research on this than is reasonable, the term is used by Nami in chapter 455.

In the Alabasta arc she mentions that the three of them are stronger than a monster after they beat up a giant lizard thingy. Somwhere between the two I'm pretty sure it was "coined".

That's neat, really thought that was a fan term.
Wait a minute, say Jimbe did join the crew and since he's around the same level as Sanji wouldn't he be apart of this trio effectively making it a "Monster Quartet"?(!)

Suspicious Lump posted:

Anyone else getting bored with One Piece? Not sure if it's this arc or the pace of things. I only watch the anime but I'm just not as excited as I once was for it.

I thought this arc's been pretty good, waaaay better than the Fishman Island. You could always try reading it :shrug:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I am starting to get bored, yeah. It's not the same as it used to be. There's no stories of true treasure or Luffy showing up and giving people the courage to stand up for themselves and then stepping in and helpping them and then taking all the blame so that someone else becomes the hero. There's no sense of old fashioned pirates, instead there's robots, WMDs, and video conferencing. It's all kind of not One Piecey any more.

And the powers for the main characters are getting kind of really dumb like I was saying.
Why does Luffy have a fire punch now?
Zoro's still cool; as is Sanji.
I still can't believe that Nami can control weather, not that it's new, but now she is an accepted combatant. And originally she was using a device Usopp made when he didn't have time (despite any reason to believe he understood science or even weather [also he made it as a party device, even though she asked for a weapon. <And why didn't she read the manual BEFORE GETTING INTO BATTLE WITH IT?!>]). It seems her new version (how did she even build that? She didn't build the first one) now just shoots lightning.
Usopp has a bag of whatever vaguely fits the problem. An exploding wolf tree? What the gently caress is that? The dials were cool because you knew what types there were and they all seemed fairly reasonable. So it was cool to see good uses of them. Now he just makes poo poo up. There's nothing clever, and there's no reason to believe these plants could defeat these people. He got them all from some island, but I would surprised if somehow Usopp could conquer an island of these things, yet find them useful enough to defeat everyone else.
Chopper's like 3 years old and has the Human Human fruit, but I've complained about him enough already.
I just rambled about Robin.
Franky is a cyborg, which was pretty cool at first, but now he just shoots lasers at everything. And all his giant tanks and things are starting to get stupid and annoying.
Brook was pretty cool at first, but his hallucination power was super weird and way drawn out. The ice sword is pretty cool, but the ghost mode never seems to actually accomplish anything. Also, how did he know he could walk on water? Did he test it first? That seems like a dangerous thing to do when he was floating all alone for 50 years.
I wonder if Jimbei is going to join the crew. Also, Vivi and that guy in a box from the first 10 episodes. Too bad that Cerberus died.

Also the earlier episodes had a lot less of the thousands of useless armies of redshirts that even Nami defeats effortlessly. It made me laugh when Coby was talking about becoming a marine and how it was his dream, but then you see there are trillions of them and they seem to be completely impotent.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Suspicious Lump posted:

You should probably just switch over to the manga and revisit the highlights in the anime. It's the only sane way to go considering what the pacing has become.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

I am starting to get bored, yeah. It's not the same as it used to be. There's no stories of true treasure or Luffy showing up and giving people the courage to stand up for themselves and then stepping in and helpping them and then taking all the blame so that someone else becomes the hero. There's no sense of old fashioned pirates, instead there's robots, WMDs, and video conferencing. It's all kind of not One Piecey any more.

And the powers for the main characters are getting kind of really dumb like I was saying.
Why does Luffy have a fire punch now?
Zoro's still cool; as is Sanji.
I still can't believe that Nami can control weather, not that it's new, but now she is an accepted combatant. And originally she was using a device Usopp made when he didn't have time (despite any reason to believe he understood science or even weather [also he made it as a party device, even though she asked for a weapon. <And why didn't she read the manual BEFORE GETTING INTO BATTLE WITH IT?!>]). It seems her new version (how did she even build that? She didn't build the first one) now just shoots lightning.
Usopp has a bag of whatever vaguely fits the problem. An exploding wolf tree? What the gently caress is that? The dials were cool because you knew what types there were and they all seemed fairly reasonable. So it was cool to see good uses of them. Now he just makes poo poo up. There's nothing clever, and there's no reason to believe these plants could defeat these people. He got them all from some island, but I would surprised if somehow Usopp could conquer an island of these things, yet find them useful enough to defeat everyone else.
Chopper's like 3 years old and has the Human Human fruit, but I've complained about him enough already.
I just rambled about Robin.
Franky is a cyborg, which was pretty cool at first, but now he just shoots lasers at everything. And all his giant tanks and things are starting to get stupid and annoying.
Brook was pretty cool at first, but his hallucination power was super weird and way drawn out. The ice sword is pretty cool, but the ghost mode never seems to actually accomplish anything. Also, how did he know he could walk on water? Did he test it first? That seems like a dangerous thing to do when he was floating all alone for 50 years.
I wonder if Jimbei is going to join the crew. Also, Vivi and that guy in a box from the first 10 episodes. Too bad that Cerberus died.

Also the earlier episodes had a lot less of the thousands of useless armies of redshirts that even Nami defeats effortlessly. It made me laugh when Coby was talking about becoming a marine and how it was his dream, but then you see there are trillions of them and they seem to be completely impotent.

Shadow0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9USIR_1xt4

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Franky is the crew's musician.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Lump posted:

Seriously, read the manga. Way better pacing, way better art, yes you lose voices and music and "animation" but after a few chapters you won't even miss em.

I'm honestly shocked people have lasted this long without switching over. I thought Marineford would have persuaded even the most die-hard anime fan to consider giving the manga a read...

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Seriously, read the manga. Way better pacing, way better art, yes you lose voices and music and "animation" but after a few chapters you won't even miss em.

I'm honestly shocked people have lasted this long without switching over. I thought Marineford would have persuaded even the most die-hard anime fan to consider giving the manga a read...

I liked marineford. The pacing was garbage and generally unpleasant but it is one of the stronger arcs plot wise and contains my favorite OP character (Whitebeard).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The anime version of Marineford was a tragedy. The manga version had people frothing at the mouth for each new chapter and caused the series to practically explode in popularity around here, much moreso than I'd ever seen before. It was so jam-packed full in every single frame with interesting and unique new characters, fight scenes, and dramatic turns of events, that I'd often be on the edge of my seat as I read each chapter. It obviously would not have been as impactful without all the buildup from all the chapters preceding it, but man, it was intense.

The anime version compared to that was an insult. It had the occasional scene of great animation but then half an episode of AAAAAAASSSSUUUUUUUUUUU and Luffy running at a glacial pace, the intensity and desperation of it all was completely lost in how slow everything seemed to be moving. I liked the One Piece anime for a while, but the last half dozen arcs or so have been shameful compared to early on.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The anime definitely has its moments here and there (and an amazing cast) but for the most part it takes a great series and makes it markedly worse. I do like reading the anime-only goons' reactions to the plot though!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just got to Amazon Island (ep 408) and got "treated" to an extended dick joke :wtf:
I would love to see a 4Kids version of the "mushroom-pulling" scene, though.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bisse posted:

It's just a visual representation so you know that the person is using haki, and where. Back before the timeskip, when it was still a mystery, things just randomly hurt people where it shouldn't for no apparent reason except that the attacker looked more smug than usual.

Ya I know I was just trying to make a joke out of the scenario

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Switch to the manga. Seriously. Almost every chapter is baller since fishman island and the whole thing is just nuts.

Edit to clarify: While most of the story and scenes are of course the same and the problems that come with that, (e.g. robin is still just kind of there) the whole thing just has an energy that gets completely lost in translation to the anime. The jokes are short, quick and hilarious compared to drawn-out and repetitive. Action scenes (like RUNNING FROM THE FOG OH NO) are much better paced and much more intense. There's overall less of the chauvinistic problems, like for example in the anime fishman island, they ran the 'sanji got a blood transfusion from transvestites' joke into the ground whereas in the manga I think it might have been half a panel, at most one panel.

Go read the Marineford war in the manga and you'll get it. Another prime example is Thriller Bark - in the manga it's got a really cool horror atmosphere to it, while in the anime its just this kind of stupid and drawn-out arc with characters running around in an out of little fights - the difference is huge even though most of the scenes are the same.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 26, 2013

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
You guys talking about the manga being so amazing suck.

Which chapter is it on right now?

KoB
May 1, 2009

User0015 posted:

Like 712 or something. We're about 30 episodes ahead basically.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

User0015 posted:

Just get weekly shoneni jump. It's like $25 a year and it comes out same day as Japan.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bisse posted:

Another prime example is Thriller Bark - in the manga it's got a really cool horror atmosphere to it, while in the anime its just this kind of stupid and drawn-out arc with characters running around in an out of little fights - the difference is huge even though most of the scenes are the same.

Oh baby, I loved the atmosphere in Thriller Bark. It was wonderfully chilling. I mean just look at some of this:

And these are just a few pieces I grabbed real quick from the beginning of the arc. Just fantastic stuff, but the anime completely failed to catch the same feel for it. And that was way, way back when they were at least trying.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I think the anime started trying to make it too goofy even in the spots where it's supposed to be unsettling.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I think the anime started trying to make it too goofy even in the spots where it's supposed to be unsettling.

Any transgressions were 100% forgiven if only for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i25e7UKSnMs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ffLjm9NAXo

Also the Zombie Night zombie dance.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I was curious how this translated from the manga, so I went and looked it up. The crews reaction is all one panel. The punch looks a lot nicer. But it's basically the same.

The other two are better in the anime, I admit.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've just gotten to the undersea prison (WTF is up with that forest on Level 1?) and the pacing of the show has been pretty good ever since Thriller Bark IMHO. Is that about to change? The pace usually goes to poo poo when there's a major fight.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Renoistic posted:

I've just gotten to the undersea prison (WTF is up with that forest on Level 1?) and the pacing of the show has been pretty good ever since Thriller Bark IMHO. Is that about to change? The pace usually goes to poo poo when there's a major fight.

Well, right after the prison you get to the biggest, most epic fight the series has seen thus far, so yeah... poo poo's about to get reaaaaaal slow. You can, however, find a fan-made "abridged" version of it online which is a lot more tolerable.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 27, 2013

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I know you're tired of hearing this but you've just crossed the line where the anime starts to reeeeeeeeeally drop the ball. Be prepared for awesome scenes made completely uninteresting, eeeeeeeeendless padding, seeing the same drat clip over and over and over, shittily animated fights punctuated by 5 seconds of LETS BLOW ALL OUR BUDGET ON THIS CLIP RIGHT HERE, and worst of all, the best arc to grace any shonen manga in history (the arc after this prison, the arc which hugely boosted OP popularity on this forum) turned into A God drat Joke. This is the point where everyone I know decided to drop the anime.

If you don't want to go on a boring adventure, switch to the manga.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK, thanks! That's the impression I've gotten from the threads. I guess I'll switch over soon then. I'm glad I got to see "bishounen" Luffy though, that was hilarious.

EDIT: Man, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the small stories in the title pages.

EDIT: Mr 2 is back! :unsmith:

EDIT: Mr 2... :smith:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 27, 2013

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Renoistic posted:

OK, thanks! That's the impression I've gotten from the threads. I guess I'll switch over soon then. I'm glad I got to see "bishounen" Luffy though, that was hilarious.

EDIT: Man, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the small stories in the title pages.

EDIT: Mr 2 is back! :unsmith:

EDIT: Mr 2... :smith:

Everytime I try to get someone to read/watch One Piece they bitch because it is too long, I would be overjoyed if a super long awesome series existed that I managed to not see because getting to marathon through the whole series like that must be great.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Iunno I can understand being intimidated by the episode length if only because you could watch so many things in the time it'd take to watch all of the existing episodes. I think I'd have a hard time getting into it now (I started watching long ago when the fansubs were at the very beginning of Alabasta).

I mean to put it in perspective, in the time it'd take a person to catch up to One Piece from the beginning, they could more or less watch everything Gundam (if you ignore the SD tv series, but those are terrible anyways). And that's just one example! It's a huge commitment that's definitely not for everyone.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I started reading the manga instead so I've gotten to the point where Garp joins the fight. This is ridiculous in all the right ways. Mihawk missing Luffy and slicing apart the whole iceberg in one swipe was insane. It really feels like all the chapters to now was all a build-up to the fight to save Ace / topple the Marines, and it's awesome to see both new characters and familiar ones like Buggy, Crocodile Smoker and smoker clash together. Not to mention we FINALLY get to see what White Beard, the admirals, and the Seven are capable of. I have a hard time seeing how the comic will ever be able to top this.

The part I will always remember is Mr. 2's sacrifice, though. It has been years since I read the Alabastre arc, but seeing him in action again was great. Hopefully that wasn't the end of him...

EDIT: I have been working my way through the series, shifting between the manga and anime, for over six years. Last time I took a break from watching the anime it had like +400 episodes. I can barely believe it has made it to over 600. It's utter insanity.

EDIT: Holy crap Akainu is scary. For some reason the admirals seem more formidable than most of the Seven.

EDIT: And now Black Beard turned into Cell from DBZ. Seems like the manga has a primary antagonist now. That was one hell of a ride. Are there any scenes the anime did justice?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 27, 2013

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Renoistic posted:

Are there any scenes the anime did justice?
No.

They even managed to flub (only watch this spoiler after you've reached the end of this arc, when the war is over) Ace's death by making Luffy scream in grief like a stuck pig for upwards of 2 full minutes before collapsing. ...which is the exact opposite of the manga where it's more like his brain snaps and he just passes out, which was way better and had more impact.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
What is a good site to read the manga on?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You can subscribe to Viz's shonen jump thing and sell the Yugioh cards you get from it to make it effectively free. It owns because the scan quality isn't rear end and also you don't have to deal with nakama and all sorts of scanlator bullshit (heck, last page or so someone posted an image from the manga and the scans left "straw hat" untranslated. That is how bad they are)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Why hasn't everyone here already subscribed to Weekly Shonen Jump. If you don't do it you're a jerk.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wanna talk about Sabo but i'm afraid those "Sabo is still alive!" dudes will crawl out of the woodworks to remind me that Sabo is still alive.

I treat them the same I treat one of those Bronies from MLP in seething pittance and rage.

White Light fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 27, 2013

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Parrotine posted:

I wanna talk about Sabo but i'm afraid those "Sabo is still alive!" dudes will crawl out of the woodworks to remind me that Sabo is still alive.

They are the My Little Pony guys of the One Piece discussion threads

Woah how is he not still alive?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Somebody give that man a cookie

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Parrotine posted:

Somebody give that man a cookie

Really dude. What show are you watching?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Okay, now I know what i'm going to do with part of my afternoon today; re-read the Ace backstory to figure some stuff out

But man that crap is so boring, this feels like doing chores :suicide:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
What are you even talking about?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Didn't Sabo die in the anime?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Parrotine posted:

Didn't Sabo die in the anime?

Watch episode 504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The whole "Shanks being a Yonko"-thing confused me a bit when he showed up at Marine HQ. When does the show first mention the Yonko, and when is it mentioned that Shanks and White-Beard are members?