Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Spiffo posted:

Fortunately, the dungeon is only three short rooms long. If you can despawn/avoid fights with the mushrooms, you're golden. And of course once the boss goes down everybody runs away from you.

But yeah, it's still a pain in the butt. Plus I don't think they ever incorporate mushroom enemies again, do they? I don't remember ever getting mushroomized past Threed.

The Fourth Sanctuary boss is a giant mushroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ETB posted:

The Fourth Sanctuary boss is a giant mushroom.

Yeah but then you kill him and then walk a few steps and you're good :v:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I played this game a few times in my youth, but I don't think I ever got much further than Tessie. I'm now determined to get through this game, so I can see why it has such a devout fandom.

Currently I just made it through Moonside. gently caress Moonside, seriously.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mammal Sauce posted:

Also "Fassad" came from a scan of one of the first Nintendo Power previews of the N64 Mother 3; it wasn't something Tomato came up with himself. Pretty sure "Tazmily" was the same kind of deal.

Anyone happen to have a link to this?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Genocyber posted:

Anyone happen to have a link to this?

Tazmily came from a Nintendo Power article but Fassad was definitely chosen by the localization team, I remember the blog talking about a conversation Tomato had with someone coming up with the name and how it was a tentative thing that stuck after he ended up liking it more and more.

e: Actually not just the Nintendo Power article, the N64-era Mother 3 site had it as Tazmily as well.

http://web.archive.org/web/19970605014725/http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/mother/index.html

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 24, 2013

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Ballz posted:

I played this game a few times in my youth, but I don't think I ever got much further than Tessie. I'm now determined to get through this game, so I can see why it has such a devout fandom.

Currently I just made it through Moonside. gently caress Moonside, seriously.

You say yes to me? You say no to me?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

absolutely anything posted:

Tazmily came from a Nintendo Power article but Fassad was definitely chosen by the localization team, I remember the blog talking about a conversation Tomato had with someone coming up with the name and how it was a tentative thing that stuck after he ended up liking it more and more.

e: Actually not just the Nintendo Power article, the N64-era Mother 3 site had it as Tazmily as well.

http://web.archive.org/web/19970605014725/http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/mother/index.html

I love that this is still the era of shoddy translation, and Salsa is called Sarusa.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

I love that this is still the era of shoddy translation, and Salsa is called Sarusa.

Salsa makes more sense for a western-ish setting. The saru pun doesn't work as well over here (doesn't stop Ape Escape though!)

fake edit for the two people on Earth who don't get the pun: saru = monkey

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I do wish that, at any time during Mother 3, "Pork Bean" had come off as serious. Couldn't take the enemy seriously at all. I have a lot of stupid complaints about that game though.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
No bottle rocket run has been pretty easy overall, and I've grabbed the Sword of Kings, Broken Antenna, and Magic Frying Pan so far. Do I go insane and get three Star Pendants?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I just read the nine most beautiful words ever put in a video game.

Inside the present, there was a Sword of kings!

Seriously though, I must've gone through hundreds of Starman Supers before I finally got it, but at least I didn't turbo-overlevel by accident.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Shlapintogan posted:

Seriously though, I must've gone through hundreds of Starman Supers before I finally got it, but at least I didn't turbo-overlevel by accident.

I've played this game at least six times and I've still never gotten that drat thing.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 25, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Satorr posted:

I've played this game at least six times and I've still never gotten that drat thing.

That's believable. The drop rate is stupid and I'm ignoring the rest of those items. Beat it without them a few times before.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Peaceful Rest Valley is one of the easiest parts of the game and here's why: you don't need to fight a single thing there. All the monsters there are annoying or dangerous for different reasons, so just don't fight them. If one is blocking your route, use the trick where you backtrack them off the screen about 3 inches and they'll either change configuration or disappear. This trick doesn't hurt you either because Happy Happy Village right after is super easy, super fast leveling with free healing items. I haven't fought something there since I was a kid and it takes about five minutes to get through.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Trainmonk posted:

Peaceful Rest Valley is one of the easiest parts of the game and here's why: you don't need to fight a single thing there. All the monsters there are annoying or dangerous for different reasons, so just don't fight them. If one is blocking your route, use the trick where you backtrack them off the screen about 3 inches and they'll either change configuration or disappear. This trick doesn't hurt you either because Happy Happy Village right after is super easy, super fast leveling with free healing items. I haven't fought something there since I was a kid and it takes about five minutes to get through.

You really don't need to fight anything, anywhere, save for static enemies and bosses, and speed runs of EB use this trick extensively. It's ultra cheesy though and arguably way less fun than just confronting the thing (or in this case, area) you dread.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

You really don't need to fight anything, anywhere, save for static enemies and bosses, and speed runs of EB use this trick extensively. It's ultra cheesy though and arguably way less fun than just confronting the thing (or in this case, area) you dread.

Having played through the game like 20 times by now, I guess what's less fun for me is fighting a bunch of exploding trees that I don't need to.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
I just buy a bunch of bears. They're a lot more effective than hamburgers and protect against status effects.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Trainmonk posted:

I've tried this; it doesn't work because when I back track to scroll upcoming enemies off the screen to reset them, it spawns even more annoying enemies in the direction I originally came from.

There's a Territorial Oak up ahead? Well, I'll just go back a bit and... oh. There's a Territorial Oak back here, too. Along with a Lil' UFO and a Spinning Robo. :negative:

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I've tried this; it doesn't work because when I back track to scroll upcoming enemies off the screen to reset them, it spawns even more annoying enemies in the direction I originally came from.

There's a Territorial Oak up ahead? Well, I'll just go back a bit and... oh. There's a Territorial Oak back here, too. Along with a Lil' UFO and a Spinning Robo. :negative:

Maybe there's more finesse to it than I realized. I've had a lot of years of practice.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

W.T. Fits posted:

It totally works, but you have to be pretty precise on how far back you go. You need to get the enemies you want to reshuffle off the screen with about 25 pixels extra of slack to get them to reshuffle, and going much beyond that means you'll probably get a spawn behind you. So doing it just right takes some practice.

Now, that said, I truthfully carry like 6 cans of rust promoter into PRV purely so I can get the UFOs and Spinning Robos to gently caress off, I'm not even worried about Territorial Oaks because their only nasty trick is knocking off an extra 20 HP at the end of the battle. The UFOs and Spinning Robos will induce colds, though, and holy CHRIST is that annoying.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'll be honest, I prefer to just power my way through PRV with brute force. It can be draining, but the experience you get from fighting all those enemies is going to stay with you long after any damage you've taken has healed up. :black101:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just shoot for the Hard Hat, and it makes the rest of the valley pretty easy. Hamburgers and teddy bears are your best friends.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I've never had a problem with Peaceful Rest. It's a tad annoying, but easily do-able. Onett after Giygas has descended on it, though? gently caress that poo poo. You'll get wiped in two battles.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Yeah, Alien infested Onett is fuuuuun. I sure do love getting hit with PSI Starstorm every battle!

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Re: PSI Starstorm spam, Rabbit's foot on Paula, PSI Shield Sigma or Omega. Problem solved. :c00lbutt:

(Then again this last run I was a team of demigods thanks to the Rock candy exploit sooooooo.... yeah.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

OK so I have a question. I just picked this back up. In Fourside, is there somewhere you can buy Big Bottle Rockets after the lights turn off in the Dept. Store? I have a feeling I'll be needing more...

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Shlapintogan posted:

Excellent work! I got the sword once and it feels good.

Here's the best way to do it. Have Jeff use SPY on the enemy as soon as the battle begins. If the enemy has the item, you'll know right away, otherwise, just run and fight another badguy. Doing this will get you the item faster since it is 1 out of 128 chance.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 25, 2013

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

OK so I have a question. I just picked this back up. In Fourside, is there somewhere you can buy Big Bottle Rockets after the lights turn off in the Dept. Store? I have a feeling I'll be needing more...

You can leave.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Vrikkian posted:

You can leave.

Yeah, did that, actually! Went back to the desert and bought some regular Bottle Rockets and blasted my way through that way! Then used my last Big Bottle Rocket on the boss. It worked.

Now I'm going to buy as many of those things as I can carry!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

FINALmasa posted:

I just buy a bunch of bears. They're a lot more effective than hamburgers and protect against status effects.

Up until recently I didn't even think buying a bunch of bears was a possibility. I don't know why, but playing this game as a youngster I just assumed you could only have one bear at a time and that was that. I didn't even try buying more.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I always buy bears like they're going out of style. Incredibly handy in Peaceful Rest Valley and the department store.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've given away all of my other SNES classics, but Earthbound will always remain in the closet for memories. My gaming name for the longest time was Ness-Earthbound (not very creative) and I was able to snag nessearthbound@gmail.com!

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
If you buy a bunch of bears, will they all be following you like an adorable duckling family, or will only one be visible?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

triplexpac posted:

Up until recently I didn't even think buying a bunch of bears was a possibility. I don't know why, but playing this game as a youngster I just assumed you could only have one bear at a time and that was that. I didn't even try buying more.

Heck I'm an adult and I'm playing for the first time right now and I assumed you could only have one bear. I guess its because they follow you like a character, so it seems like there's a "Bear Character" slot or something, I don't know. I'm totally going to load up on bears now...

Walliard posted:

If you buy a bunch of bears, will they all be following you like an adorable duckling family, or will only one be visible?

I would also like to know this...

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Walliard posted:

Only one is visible at a time, sadly.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

First time I played the game and got one bear, I thought to go buy an inventory full of them, hoping to have a trail of them stretching across the screen. I was disappointed but didn't get hit again until I was in the tunnel to Mondo Mole.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Zaphod42 posted:

I would also like to know this...

Nope. Only one. I'm pretty sure that you only get one bear at a time in battle, but they get replaced after one dies.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

In my continuing adventures in Earthbound, I think I accidentally sequence broke a little bit.

I went out on the boat in Scaraba right after getting Poo. Got attacked by the Kraken and uh... I have a feeling I wasn't supposed to be able to beat him yet? He one-shotted nearly everyone else in the party (Ness took two), but Jeff was wearing an accessory that resists fire (I think?). He only took about 5-10 damage. Well, long story short his inventory was full of Big Bottle Rockets and he just fired them at the Kraken until it stopped moving...

And got about 80,000 exp for it. :stare: I'm pretty sure he's almost as high level as Ness at this point. I feel like I cheated... :ohdear:

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

In my continuing adventures in Earthbound, I think I accidentally sequence broke a little bit.

I went out on the boat in Scaraba right after getting Poo. Got attacked by the Kraken and uh... I have a feeling I wasn't supposed to be able to beat him yet? He one-shotted nearly everyone else in the party (Ness took two), but Jeff was wearing an accessory that resists fire (I think?). He only took about 5-10 damage. Well, long story short his inventory was full of Big Bottle Rockets and he just fired them at the Kraken until it stopped moving...

And got about 80,000 exp for it. :stare: I'm pretty sure he's almost as high level as Ness at this point. I feel like I cheated... :ohdear:

I don't think you sequence broke. I think maybe your team was under leveled. The Kraken can be a tough battle and if memory serves you do face the Kraken shortly after Poo joins your party.

You won with bottle rockets and THAT is creative problem solving (not cheating)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Spectacle Rock posted:

I don't think you sequence broke. I think maybe your team was under leveled. The Kraken can be a tough battle and if memory serves you do face the Kraken shortly after Poo joins your party.

You won with bottle rockets and THAT is creative problem solving (not cheating)

Generally, I'll go to Magnet Hill and Pink Cloud before fighting the Kraken. I believe this is what you're intended to do, since it puts you at a pretty good level for the Kraken. So he fought it pretty early by that route.

• Locked thread