Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
It's been a long time since I've been around here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65293251@N08/9475232278/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Marissa by SPV Photo, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Processing is nice, location is fantastic. She looks a little scared of you though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

It's been a long time since I've been around here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65293251@N08/9475232278/

Welcome back. I Iove this.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_3148 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3037 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2962 by avoyer, on Flickr

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I like the general look of the photos, but they all have this frustrating "almost there" feeling for me. I think it's the model's expressions. I don't know what she was trying to do but she just looks disinterested. The first one also seems very slightly underexposed (it looks fine on my laptop but it's noticeable on my color/brightness calibrated monitor).

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I like the general look of the photos, but they all have this frustrating "almost there" feeling for me. I think it's the model's expressions. I don't know what she was trying to do but she just looks disinterested. The first one also seems very slightly underexposed (it looks fine on my laptop but it's noticeable on my color/brightness calibrated monitor).

Ahhh I get what you're saying, I guess I don't see it as much because I'm emotionally involved in them (specially the origami ones) but I know what you're talking about! I think I wasn't confident enough throughout the shoot and maybe it transpired into her. There was a huge crowd watching us (mostly wondering what we were doing) of over 20+ people so I think we were both a bit overwhelmed, but it was a great experience nonetheless :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I think she looks confused and unsure of what to do, which I sympathize with, because I have no idea what the hell is going on there.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Reichstag posted:

I think she looks confused and unsure of what to do, which I sympathize with, because I have no idea what the hell is going on there.

I'll take that as a very nice compliment coming from you! :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It is not.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Reichstag posted:

It is not.

Aw.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Compositionally they're all beautiful but the whole crane thing is lost on me and seems annoyingly forced, and the model's expressions kind of mirror that.

EDIT: Blue shorts is picking a wedgie which is slightly distracting.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I made all these cranes and nobody is looking at them. :(

And cut...

Next scene. Peaceful model radicalizes into crane terrorist. Targets subways, bus stations and high rise buildings.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

East Lake posted:

I made all these cranes and nobody is looking at them. :(

And cut...

Next scene. Peaceful model radicalizes into crane terrorist. Targets subways, bus stations and high rise buildings.

Haha!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

xenilk posted:

IMG_3037 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_2962 by avoyer, on Flickr

I think I get what you're going for here. The origami cranes (which conjure to memory Michael Scofield) represent a longing to break out of prison --- the prison of our own identity. Deep stuff man.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

LargeHadron posted:

I think I get what you're going for here. The origami cranes (which conjure to memory Michael Scofield) represent a longing to break out of prison --- the prison of our own identity. Deep stuff man.

There you go! Finally someone who really gets me! Ha ha

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Guys come baaaaaaaaack I made you all these craaaaaaaaanes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

"Why don't we work together and make a paper toad for Johnny Wong?"

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I had a friends kid who let me experiment with my first set of umbrellas/lightstands. Kids are great because you just tell them to make faces and they go nuts.

20130818-IMG_9845 by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

20130818-IMG_9849 by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

20130818-IMG_9836 by LeeMHarp, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

^^ What was your lighting setup?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
My guess is high camera left, and high/mid camera right behind the subject. Basically the lights are opposite to each other. I do a setup similar to that as well.

Edit: Similar to this, except my fill/hair is naked.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 22, 2013

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

^^ What was your lighting setup?

Pretty much what rcman50166 said. High camera left, lower powered one on right pointed more towards background. Look forward to trying something different next time to compare the differences. I also need to get some kind of clean backdrop because the textured wall was a pain in the butt to deal with.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Claw Massage posted:

Pretty much what rcman50166 said. High camera left, lower powered one on right pointed more towards background. Look forward to trying something different next time to compare the differences. I also need to get some kind of clean backdrop because the textured wall was a pain in the butt to deal with.

I shoot outside at night a lot because of that. I also like the way low key looks though. I still don't own any formal backdrops. I say try that, if the lights you use can be battery operated.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Speaking of backdrops what do people use? I bought a medium gray muslin and a stand for it. It was wrinkly as poo poo and I read you can't iron them so I got the cheapest steam cleaner Target had and steamed it out. It's pretty good now. I never managed to find any official wisdom regarding muslins. Is what I did a normal thing?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

What's the setup on that shot? Looks like there's some distortion happening from a short focal length. I just had something similar just yesterday where a girl with slightly chubby cheeks turned into a bit of a melon head.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Dren posted:

Speaking of backdrops what do people use? I bought a medium gray muslin and a stand for it. It was wrinkly as poo poo and I read you can't iron them so I got the cheapest steam cleaner Target had and steamed it out. It's pretty good now. I never managed to find any official wisdom regarding muslins. Is what I did a normal thing?

Muslins suck, get paper.

That is horrifying.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Yeah, I don't have a ton of counterexamples but here's the same girl, closest to a similar angle. First was 28mm equiv, this one's 90mm equiv.

Luckily, most of the focus was on my brand new niece, her 3-day old little sister. She might as well get used to it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Cru Jones posted:

What's the setup on that shot? Looks like there's some distortion happening from a short focal length. I just had something similar just yesterday where a girl with slightly chubby cheeks turned into a bit of a melon head.

Nah, she's just got a big head. This was at 85mm

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Golden hour hippy shoot!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Kelli by SPV Photo, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Is this crop too weird? She had a hand up on her shoulder, but since her arm was cropped it looked like some stray hand reaching up to try to stroke her. I know salvaging a photo after the fact is never good, but I really liked the backlight on this one and don't have the means to recreate it to get it right in camera right away. Thoughts?

105A0126-2_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The aspect ratio looks weird, but the crop is fine on her.

New shot;

Megan by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
It's 4x5 because I didn't have enough room on the right to keep it 2x3. Square crop looked weird too, so lesson of the day for me is get it right the first time.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

It's 4x5 because I didn't have enough room on the right to keep it 2x3. Square crop looked weird too, so lesson of the day for me is get it right the first time.

I think you can get a 2x3 crop from that. I don't think it's needed, but it's possible. Even a 2.1 x 3 or 2.2 x 3 could give a more natural crop look

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I'm just starting out taking a portraiture class, and my first 'real' assignment was to do a "business" style headshot using a 4 light setup using a 4:1 ratio. I think I did alright, but in the end I had to change the lights closer to 3:1 because my model was wearing such stark black and white clothes.

Anyway, I'd really like some input on these, as at present the only real "training" I've had is what I've read through the Zeltsman guide and ~1 week that was spent on portraiture when I took a studio lighting class.

Lucky - Portrait Session by eachus, on Flickr

When I asked my teacher to look over them and give me some advice he kept saying that my model looked "crinkly eyed" and I don't really know what that means and when I questioned it, he didn't really explain. I feel like I did ok, considering the level of experience I have but, as I said, I would like some critique on them with the thought in mind that this is basically the first time I've shot anything like this so I don't know a whole lot of the technical jargon and stuff. I can't wait to learn more because I really enjoy shooting people - especially surprising because I'm not much of a people person.

edit: Oh, I almost forgot - I wanted to ask, is there a version of the Zeltsman guide available in print at all? What about other books that are similarly good? I devour books on photography, but unfortunately the few I've looked through at the bookstore on portraiture seem to be sort of vague and lacking so I've not picked any up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
In the second and fourth the eyes look too bright and enhanced. Overall the lighting looks too complicated and harsh.