Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I can't think of any better place to ask this. In FFVI, is there some secret I don't know to un-cursing the cursed shield? I was under the impression that you just had to win 255 battles with someone who wasn't Gogo holding the shield. I've now won 320 battles with it on(that number is accurate, I've been using spell learning to keep track), and it's still cursed. What am I missing?

If it's relevant, I've been farming it by just wandering around the solitary island letting Peepers kill themselves in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LAY-ZX posted:

I can't think of any better place to ask this. In FFVI, is there some secret I don't know to un-cursing the cursed shield? I was under the impression that you just had to win 255 battles with someone who wasn't Gogo holding the shield. I've now won 320 battles with it on(that number is accurate, I've been using spell learning to keep track), and it's still cursed. What am I missing?
Is the person you have it equipped to alive? They can't be dead, zombied, or :420:ston:420: petrified. Otherwise, I dunno, this isn't a bug I've ever heard of. Are you absolutely sure you're using 1x spells, or have you been dipping into stuff that has 2+x or has equipment with hidden learn values? I know there are a couple pieces of equipment other than the Paladin Shield that give learn rate on certain spells.

The rules can be found here, and they're pretty straightforward.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 24, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah, he's alive and I was keeping track by just rotating Ragnarok through my party, so if anyone was getting more than 1x at any point that would've meant the problem was solved. Shield's still cursed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So you're sure you've gone from 0 to mastered on 3 people and up to 20% on a fourth, and presumably you don't have Terra at a high level where she might've learned it on her own? And you haven't been wandering into the desert (since I think the dragons there give more AP)?

The only other things I've heard of that might affect it are battles ending without the regular "victory", like Leaping or having Gau return on the veldt, or fleeing or something. I have also heard that obtaining another copy of the cursed shield might reset the counter, but you'd have to be doing some wonky stuff for that to happen.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Yep, did all of that. I guess I'll just go keep doing side quests with it equipped and hope it stops being stupid. Oh well.

e: I unequipped it and then it was the Paladin Shield :psyduck: Yeah whatever.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 24, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Which version of FF6 is this?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

poo poo man you miss clicked that. I've got your back though

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnT2Xu_3N0

I really liked that final boss tune I used to drag out the battle extra long just to hear it.

Endorph posted:

Hey, maybe if they make an FF12HD, they'll make all the music in that game not painfully dull.

Love XII's music. Instead of tampering with that, can they just decompress the audio?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Okay I suppose I hadn't given FF4: iOS/Android enough of a chance because it's actually pretty decent. I haven't played FF4 in about 15 years so there's a few things that are surprising me about the story (mostly because I don't remember), but the gameplay is a LOT better than FF3 - the encounter rate is lower and enemies don't get a bajillion attacks per turn.

A question about those items that give you abilities like Auto-Potion - these are one-time use only and non-transferrable, right?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yes. You'll also want to give your less-useful ones to characters that will leave the party permanently, as you'll get better ones from doing so. You'll generally want to do three max per person leaving (besides the twins, which is less but I forget how many for both of them to get all their augments).

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Mega64 posted:

Yes. You'll also want to give your less-useful ones to characters that will leave the party permanently, as you'll get better ones from doing so. You'll generally want to do three max per person leaving (besides the twins, which is less but I forget how many for both of them to get all their augments).

You need to give one to one of them, and two to the other. However, doing that locks you out of Hide, since there's not enough total augments at that point to get both that and Dualcast. Not that Hide is some great loss anyway.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 26, 2013

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Depending on how much you care about being a munchkin there are guides that go waaaay deep into min-max territory for the sake of 99 EVERYTHING IN PLAYTHROUGH 3 :byodood:, but ugh. I did still use the guide because I wanted all the mods, but mostly that was because it sucks to find out way later that this poorly explained mechanic just hosed you out of awesome poo poo like Bless, Counter, Kick (nothing like having Cecil use Taunt to spam Counter Kicks :shepface: ), etc.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bless and Counter are gotten without any effort though. :v:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
More Lightning Returns info:

quote:

What can we expect from the latest installment of FF XIII? To find out, we sat down with Yuji Abe, producer of the title, and one of those responsible for improving the battle system. The general feeling throughout the interview is pride, “with this installment we close the Lightning arc, and we believe this game is the most complete game of the series to date.” We wanted to ask them directly about the aspect of the game that they were most proud of. Abe told us how “in other games, you usually have one or two major features to be proud of, but in Lightning Returns they are so many brilliant features that to choose only one would be unfair (…) everything in general is at a high level, is a complete block that defines the experience and ends the story of Lightning, we are really happy with the result. “

In relation to specific contents, we wanted to ask for the trilogy of the series that has just been announced, and that will include the three chapters of Final Fantasy XIII together. Unfortunately, they are confirmed to be released exclusively in Japan. They also talked about the costumes that Lightning may be gaining, like Yuna’s. How do we get them? “Some depend on where you buy the game, for example, Cloud Strife’s outfit is exclusive for those who preorder the game (…) we cannot announce any other plans yet, but we will as we approach the game’s release date. “

Some time ago, we heard that the fourth territory of Lightning Returns would be immense, being compared to Skyrim in scale by a company representative. We wanted to put this statement in perspective, “in LR there is a continent divided into four sectors, the last one being the largest. However, talking about Skyrim may be too much and can lead to misunderstandings. In terms of scale, we could say that the player will take between 45-60 minutes to traverse on foot. ” Also, we asked about the side missions or minigames, to which they responded that “there will be in cities and other locations, but for now we can not go into more detail.”

The saga has changed a lot. When it was born in December 1987 the game was almost at it’s last breath, and now it has become one of the most important video games in the industry. We wanted to know what elements remained from the original, what items are kept on a spiritual level in Lightning Returns. “The saga has passed through many hands and the evolution of the sector has kept pace with our progress. Of course, the original elements remain: crystals, magic, are still recurring. In LR we are closing Lightning’s story, and it will be different from what we have seen so far. “

One question led to another, “What can we expect for the next 25 years?”. After some laughter, Abe answered, “I do not think I will be in Square Enix for that long, not even working on the series. But as we said, the franchise has changed and it is impossible to predict where it is going to move. Now we are with Lightning Returns, what happens next, we will see later (laughs). ” It is common knowledge that Final Fantasy XIII and its sequel are not the favorites of the fans, so we asked directly what had they built this time, what would you say to those who have doubts about the quality of this release, in summary: how would you sell it?

"It’s a difficult question to answer, because each person has their own tastes. However, we want to make clear that Lightning Returns is a completely new and independent experience, and there will be an introduction to explain what happened in XIII and XIII-2, so that any player can enter this world even if they don’t know it in advance. To answer your question, we are confident that the work that we have done in the game, which is awesome, will serve as an introduction and give confidence to the fans to try it. We have plenty of new developments in the mechanics and they are still things to be announced in the coming months as well. "

Finally, we asked about the focus of the game. It seems closer to a hack’n slash than to a conventional RPG, closer to the experience of a Kingdom Hearts, despite the loads between movements. We wanted to know what had led them to take this change, but his answer was pretty straightforward, “as we said in the first question, the series has always been evolving into other paths, so it was not a deliberate change in the sense of ’ we have to change this’ but it was a logical development. “

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns will indeed put a close to the Lightning trilogy that started the Fabula Nova Crystallis as well. We will see the story end, and they are no further plans to expand into other media such as novels, manga or even a movie. It will be a definite end. What can we expect? We will have to wait until February in our country but, to be honest, it looks better than in previous titles. Before we left we wanted to take the risk and ask about FINAL FANTASY X | X-2 HD REMASTER. The PR of Square Enix in Europe answered with no problem, confirming that the new chapter included (an audio-episode of 30-minutes, set after the events of X-2) shall be included in all of Europe with translated texts to most countries. They did not confirmed Spain or any other country in specific, but we can almost count on it.

As a bonus and pulling the string from one of our latest articles, we asked Yuji Abe for his favorite game of the series, even if he worked in it or not. His response was unexpected ” the original NES version of Final Fantasy III. There was a moment when you could appreciate an enormous shot of a scene, in an unexpected way, and I think it was very refreshing in a way. Also the system of works, the characters … and how the made most out of the hardware. It is the one that I enjoyed the most as a player. ” After this revelation we leave with the feeling of knowing a little more about the game, even though they were not really any big news. But the team seems confident of what you have in hand and, regardless of how it comes out, there’s always Final Fantasy XV to make up.

They're pulling out all the stops for this game. I'm drat excited.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Azure_Horizon posted:

More Lightning Returns info:

They're pulling out all the stops for this game. I'm drat excited.

So what's the deal with Lightning Returns? I haven't paid any attention to the 13 trilogy ever since I finished the first game and felt like killing myself. Is the third game really looking to be a good game?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If the gameplay is what made you want to kill yourself, then you're in luck! They're changing it. If the story made you want to kill yourself give up now it will never get better.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Half of what Maltose said is correct. The story will be trash, there's no salvaging it. As for the combat...eh. I'd say that it definitely has changed from the first game, but it still looks very similar to the second game. But I'm not going to be buying it anyway because Final Fantasy XIII :(

Never again, Square. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, haha, no, gently caress you. The only thing Square can do to redeem themselves in my eyes (after FF14) is if FF15 is amazing. Otherwise I'm just going to pick up my copy of KH3 when it comes out like a good sheep, and that'll be the last thing I ever get from Square ever again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The story's gonna be bad, but FF isn't really the golden standard for story-telling. The gameplay is where the game is going to shine and I really can't wait for that, it looks like they've finally made the action game they seem like they wanted to make from the start.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

pandaK posted:

So what's the deal with Lightning Returns? I haven't paid any attention to the 13 trilogy ever since I finished the first game and felt like killing myself. Is the third game really looking to be a good game?

It's basically an open-world ARPG with separate-screen battles but enemies show up on the field; areas range from linear to expansive like Pulse, with some areas being as large as territories in Skyrim. Enemies have weaknesses to certain abilities and you can chop off body parts. They have tweaked the game so that it doesn't always have to restrict you to a time limit (originally it would be 13 days, or ~26 hours to get all you wanted out of the game), but now there's a way to extend the game to a full 50 hours to get all of its content.

The actual battling is basically a faster form of the Paradigm System with the Dressphere system of FFX-2.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 27, 2013

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The story will be a ludicrious melodrama but it's possible it will be a comprehensible, entertaining and touching melodrama.

Possible, but not probable.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Peel posted:

The story will be a ludicrious melodrama but it's possible it will be a comprehensible, entertaining and touching melodrama.

Does anyone want it to be anything but hilariously bad at this point though?

e: Because I really doubt it's even possible that it's going to be anything else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

BioMe posted:

Does anyone want it to be anything but hilariously bad at this point though?

e: Because I really doubt it's even possible that it's going to be anything else.

Best case scenario they go the FFX-2 route and make the game Snow's Angels or something. I mean, they're halfway there with the dresspheres already.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ApplesandOranges posted:

Best case scenario they go the FFX-2 route and make the game Snow's Angels or something. I mean, they're halfway there with the dresspheres already.

If XIII-3 turns out to be X-2-2 in all but name, I will be so unbelievably happy. That game was the most ridiculous stupid piece of fun imaginable, but it's still one of my top 3 Final Fantasys despite the fact I've never finished it.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The story's gonna be bad, but FF isn't really the golden standard for story-telling. The gameplay is where the game is going to shine and I really can't wait for that, it looks like they've finally made the action game they seem like they wanted to make from the start.

Agreed the story being terrible shouldn't concern anyone. However, the gameplay in 13-2 was a step back from its predecessor IMO and the interview compared the new game to a combination of skyrim and kingdom hearts which is uh not what i want to play.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Says you, I loving cried when Cloud Strife nobly sacrificed his dignity and pride as a man to dress up as a female to save his comrades. Such a purer display of story could never have been told by inferior gaijin products.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Agreed the story being terrible shouldn't concern anyone. However, the gameplay in 13-2 was a step back from its predecessor IMO and the interview compared the new game to a combination of skyrim and kingdom hearts which is uh not what i want to play.

I believe the Skyrim thing is a reference to the fourth area in the game, which is a big field you can run around in. The actual gameplay is more like Valkyrie Profile.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

There is nothing Kingdom Hearts-ish about LR's gameplay. You're thinking of FFXV.

VVVV There's really no pleasing XIII haters, is there?

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 27, 2013

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So it's going to be the same poo poo but bigger.

Any press release that is this eager to sell me on a game makes me suspicious that they are gilding a lilly and calling it a rose.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So it's going to be the same poo poo but bigger.

Any press release that is this eager to sell me on a game makes me suspicious that they are gilding a lilly and calling it a rose.

Wait, is there such a thing as a press release that isn't trying to sell you on a game? Or do you just mean you don't trust press releases in general?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

There's really no pleasing XIII haters, is there?

XIII swept away from the annals of history in an act of damnatio memoriae would be pleasing enough.

Alternatively, the changing of the word describing the result of a certain body function as, "Final Fantasy XIII".
For example; "Urgh, I've trod in dog's Final Fantasy XIII" or "The walls of this filthy toilet are smeared with Final Fantasy XIII", or "You're full of Final Fantasy XIII" :unsmigghh:

Peel posted:

Toriyama. At best it will be dumb melodrama, at worst an uttercluster gently caress. I hope for both :allears:
---

I've not had major issues with the XIII games mechanically, and this new one looks to be interesting in that regard.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I'd probably be saying the same thing if we got more than one sequel for FFXII.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The combat for Lightning Returns still looks really awkward and bad, like they're trying to force an action RPG for a system that just wasn't meant for it. The only reason I'm interested in the game is because I'm a sucker dressup.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Wasn't there that Fortess thing that went nowhere? Was there any more news on that?

My problems with XII are pretty much the opposite from the ones I have with XIII - I found the gameplay to be as boring as poo poo, and never really clicked with it. I found the plot to be interesting, though it suffers from various things.

I still can't get over the fact that they had Simon loving Templeman, and gave him gently caress all to do. Or that in vanilla FFXII, you never fight him or Judge Drace.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 27, 2013

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Wasn't there that Fortess thing that went nowhere? Was there any more news on that?

It was cancelled back in 2009 after Square refused to pay the developers, apparently because they felt they hadn't met the development goals to a satisfactory level.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Azure_Horizon posted:

That's because you have horrible taste. Not that the one sequel to XII was good...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Onmi posted:

That's because you have horrible taste.

Not really.

As for Fortress, there's an effortpost on NeoGAF with a bunch of concept art GRIN left behind for the game. Let's just say it basically looked like a Western RPG and had little resemblance of anything in Ivalice.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

So what is the gameplay in LR going to be then, exactly? If they are doing what they are doing with FFXV (realize they can't design RPGs for poo poo anymore and should instead keep making Kingdom Hearts games) I might actually buy it, god help me.

That showed him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BioMe posted:

So what is the gameplay in LR going to be then, exactly? If they are doing what they are doing with FFXV (realize they can't design RPGs for poo poo anymore and should instead keep making Kingdom Hearts games) I might actually buy it, god help me.

That showed him.

The reason XV is a Kingdom Hearts game is because it's the Kingdom Hearts team. This is Nomura, these are the games Nomura makes. Seriously go take a look at them, I don't think he's ever directed a title that wasn't just this. I'm more shocked by how people were surprised by this turn of events, or thought it was a change for all of Square Enix.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BioMe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WhHKNfYE7I

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Azure_Horizon posted:

There's really no pleasing XIII haters, is there?

Well yes, actually. I think they want SE to release a new Final Fantasy game that doesn't have XIII on the box and isn't an MMORPG that has a better quality of level design and writing and demonstrates that they understand what many series fans and critics disliked about XIII (a game whose failings they perceive as being indicative of more problematic longterm trends in the series' creative process).

The way to please them is to make a good new Final Fantasy game, and putting "Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns" on the box is a lousy way to build their confidence.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Well yes, actually. I think they want SE to release a new Final Fantasy game that doesn't have XIII on the box and isn't an MMORPG that has a better quality of level design and writing and demonstrates that they understand what many series fans and critics disliked about XIII (a game whose they perceive as being indicative of more problematic longterm trends in the series' creative process).

The way to please them is to make a good new Final Fantasy game, and putting "Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns" on the box is a lousy way to build their confidence.

You're trying to rationally discuss FF13 with Azure_Horizon. You'd have more impact trying to discuss it with a brick wall.