Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Silver Falcon posted:

In my continuing adventures in Earthbound, I think I accidentally sequence broke a little bit.

I went out on the boat in Scaraba right after getting Poo. Got attacked by the Kraken and uh... I have a feeling I wasn't supposed to be able to beat him yet? He one-shotted nearly everyone else in the party (Ness took two), but Jeff was wearing an accessory that resists fire (I think?). He only took about 5-10 damage. Well, long story short his inventory was full of Big Bottle Rockets and he just fired them at the Kraken until it stopped moving...

And got about 80,000 exp for it. :stare: I'm pretty sure he's almost as high level as Ness at this point. I feel like I cheated... :ohdear:

To be fair, I Flash beta'd Kraken and one-shot him with a level 30 Poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Silver Falcon posted:

In my continuing adventures in Earthbound, I think I accidentally sequence broke a little bit.

80K XP makes sense if you beat him with only Jeff alive. If everyone had been alive you would've gotten 20k each. The Kraken can be a really rough go at things if you're underleveled, though. You didn't sequence break, for what it's worth, the game becomes quite a bit more non-linear after you finish the story in Fourside and move on to Summers and there're a number of ways you can tackle the next couple of areas.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Now that you have Poo, make sure to scope out both museums for their goodies.

You've probably already checked out one of them by the time you read this post. Don't forget to follow up with the other afterward!

Also (tactical spoiler for an enemy type coming up around the corner) Shattered Man enemies are pretty much instantly defeated by PSI Paralysis

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Generally, I'll go to Magnet Hill and Pink Cloud before fighting the Kraken. I believe this is what you're intended to do, since it puts you at a pretty good level for the Kraken. So he fought it pretty early by that route.

That's the order the Hint guy gives you and how I did it. Beating the Kraken was a breeze by that point.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Ballz posted:

That's the order the Hint guy gives you and how I did it. Beating the Kraken was a breeze by that point.

I'll do the Kraken first and then step on some caterpillars because I hate magnet hill so much

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Spiffo posted:

I'll do the Kraken first and then step on some caterpillars because I hate magnet hill so much

Yes, that dungeon is pretty hellish. Those dumb trash can ghosts that have a million defense and infect you with little ghosts, forcing you to dump psi into them every fight. Not to mention the slow movement speed from swimming in trash.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
It looks like Reggie has confirmed what we all already knew: EarthBound's popularity on the Virtual Console has had no impact on Nintendo's plans regarding an English release of Mother 3. Namely, their plans to have nothing planned regarding an English release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/29/earthbound-reissue-has-no-impact-on-mother-3-release-chances

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It looks like Reggie has confirmed what we all already knew: EarthBound's popularity on the Virtual Console has had no impact on Nintendo's plans regarding an English release of Mother 3. Namely, their plans to have nothing planned regarding an English release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/29/earthbound-reissue-has-no-impact-on-mother-3-release-chances

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised when they can't even get GBA emulation up for everyone.

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
Oh man, I just played through Dungeon Man. I think that may be my favorite setting in the whole game. Walking through a living dungeon that used to be a man, reading friendly notes left by him, all while The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper drums play.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Oh man, I just played through Dungeon Man. I think that may be my favorite setting in the whole game. Walking through a living dungeon that used to be a man, reading friendly notes left by him, all while The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper drums play.

I've seen the videos comparing Earthbound music to real songs, and I get the Sgt. Pepper tribute; but, for the life of me, I always thought "Megaton Walk" was based on ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down" :shobon:

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

W.T. Fits posted:

It can be draining, but the experience you get from fighting all those enemies is going to stay with you long after any damage you've taken has healed up.

that sounds like something you'd read in the coffee scenes

maybe you should write for Mother 4

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

HarveyVdarski posted:

Those coffee scenes, especially the first one, hit me hard when I played trough EB the first time all those years ago; it was such an unexpected break that still flowed so perfectly into the narrative. It was actually calming, and the music continues to be one of my favorite tracks.

I should dig out my old copy (still have the strategy guide too) and find someone who has an SNES to show them the glory that is EB. My wife really like playing through Mother 3 but like me B is her favorite in the series.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Man, I have to thank whoever recommended taking more than one teddy bear with you to breeze through Peaceful Rest Valley. That place was a huge stumbling block for me back when I was 10, so the couple of times I tried to replay the game my runs always petered out there (through more of a psychological block than anything).

Actually in general the game is way, way, easier and faster moving than I remember. Some of that is nearly 20 years of videogame wisdom under my belt, but I have these faded memories of having to grind like crazy to get through Frank, Giant Step, and Peaceful Rest Valley that have turned out to be absolutely untrue. Who knew!

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 31, 2013

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

HarveyVdarski posted:

maybe you should write for Mother 4

"The very lives you're living now are MOTHER 4" -Shigesato Itoi.

I only learned recently that he had said this quote. It is such an elegant and short quote and just seems to fit with the Mother Universe.

We are seriously playing MOTHER 4 right now... Think about that...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I'm still hopeful that they'll give it a proper English release some day. Before they announced Earthbound for Virtual Console I had accepted that they would never release it again, so anything is possible.

Also, the only good thing about the fifth dungeon is that you can find the Broken Bazooka, which Jeff can fix to make what's pretty much his best weapon.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Was this linked already? an interview with Earthbound's translator.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I've been checking out the Earthbound Miiverse community quite a bit before I start playing the game each time. It's really awesome seeing a whole new generation of gamers that wouldn't have been able to play the game otherwise really digging it.

As for me, I'm right at the end game and it's been amazing replaying this through and picking up stuff like Poo's weapon and whatnot that I didn't get last time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Home for Labor Day and found my original Earthbound cart and guide. Maybe I'll finally get around to playing is again on the VC now.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Anyone been following that romhack of Mother 1 using the SNES Earthbound? Sounds pretty promising and looking over the last page or so of the thread it sounds like they're pretty far into development of it. But I was wondering if they were going to be strict with the remake and use the original Famicom version as its basis, or if they'd be using the expanded ending and other features that were implemented in Earthbound Zero (and later in the Japanese Mother 1+2 Game Boy Advance release).

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

In Earthbound news, I have been abusing rock candy in my latest play through to an overpowered party. I found out much to my surprise you can break 999 HP and shoot into the thousands. Theoretically you could almost hit 4k it seems.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Goodpancakes posted:

In Earthbound news, I have been abusing rock candy in my latest play through to an overpowered party. I found out much to my surprise you can break 999 HP and shoot into the thousands. Theoretically you could almost hit 4k it seems.

Be careful with that Rock Candy. If your non-HP/PP stats go over 255, they'll roll over to zero.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ballz posted:

Anyone been following that romhack of Mother 1 using the SNES Earthbound? Sounds pretty promising and looking over the last page or so of the thread it sounds like they're pretty far into development of it. But I was wondering if they were going to be strict with the remake and use the original Famicom version as its basis, or if they'd be using the expanded ending and other features that were implemented in Earthbound Zero (and later in the Japanese Mother 1+2 Game Boy Advance release).

I wonder if it would be easier to just make the game in the style of Earthbound, but making it for PC using a custom engine like Mother 4. Mother 3 was a nightmare to hack, and I've heard Earthbound is too, so I must imagine it'd be a lot more work trying to get Earthbound working with such drastic changes to its content and scripted events.

If they used their own engine, then they could give you the option to use the rolling health bars from Earthbound, as well as the rhythm system from Mother 3, or just play it like the original game. You could also swap between the classic NES graphics, or the new SNES style.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Creating its own engine to use from scratch would no doubt pose its own challenges, and maybe it's the old rom hacker in me, but I am drawn to the idea of taking a pre-existing game and transforming it into something different.

I've never taken a look at Earthbound's code myself, but there seem to be a plethora of programs and tools specifically made to hack the game. I also just remembered they're using Tomato's fan translation he did for the Mother 1+2 GBA version, so I'm gonna assume it'll have the expanded ending. Hoping they do add a button to make the characters run, because dear lord is walking everywhere is brutal in Earthbound.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Tomato was a boss back in the day. I did my own romhack of the game with his excellent tools. They allowed the layman to edit sprites, dialogue, event triggers, etc.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Some SNES emulator just snuck it's way onto iOS, so of course I downloaded it. Am I the only one who tests Earthbound first with any emulator you find?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

triplexpac posted:

Some SNES emulator just snuck it's way onto iOS, so of course I downloaded it. Am I the only one who tests Earthbound first with any emulator you find?

You're not the only one.

http://lifehacker.com/remote-file-manager-sneaks-a-snes-emulator-onto-your-ip-1245256779

VVVV I'm playing through for the first time ever right now, currently in Threed. (Also playing other games, so its off and on, not constant progress) We should compare notes :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 4, 2013

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
I'm going to do it this time. I swear. I've owned Earthbound since something like 1996 but never finished it. I started a new game last night, and this is the one. I can feel it.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Mobius posted:

I'm going to do it this time. I swear. I've owned Earthbound since something like 1996 but never finished it. I started a new game last night, and this is the one. I can feel it.

The final boss battle and ending are amazing. You can do it!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zaphod42 posted:

You're not the only one.

http://lifehacker.com/remote-file-manager-sneaks-a-snes-emulator-onto-your-ip-1245256779

VVVV I'm playing through for the first time ever right now, currently in Threed. (Also playing other games, so its off and on, not constant progress) We should compare notes :)

This is amazing... it is perfect for the iPad mini with the frame size and control pad payout in portrait mode.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Catalina posted:

The final boss battle and ending are amazing. You can do it!

Catalina, I can feel it in the air. You will beat this wonderful game and it will change your life for the better :)

I met someone in real life a few months ago (prior to the Earthbound on Wii-U release) and we were talking about RPGs. Someone (maybe me) mentioned Earthbound and this other guy said how he couldn't beat it. He just could not beat the final boss. The final boss refused to die.

MEGA-SPOILER: Do not read this unless you've beaten the final bad guy in Earthbound.
He didn't know what Paula had to do to beat the end boss

I can imagine how frustrating that must be fighting a battle you cannot win. So, I told him the "trick."

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 5, 2013

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

How could you even do that in this day and age? I mean, even back when I first played the game (over a decade ago by now!) it already had a cult following online. I'd imagine if you spent any time in an online community you'd eventually catch some reference or something that spoiled the final fight.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Well, Earthbound isn't popular EVERYWHERE on the internet, and there wasn't much reason to bring it up say, on SA before the rerelease happened.

Spectacle Rock posted:

"The very lives you're living now are MOTHER 4" -Shigesato Itoi.

I only learned recently that he had said this quote. It is such an elegant and short quote and just seems to fit with the Mother Universe.

We are seriously playing MOTHER 4 right now... Think about that...

Mother 4 is pretty boring.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Look, I love Itoi, but... what the heck is he talking about? There are no talking dogs. I don't get cake whenever I get home. There is also, as far as I know, not an alien invasion happening in either the past, present, or stemming from my stupid neighbor.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Because you're just some gently caress off npc from Twoson. Sorry to break it to you this way.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Yeah, every time I talk to my mom she has a big pot of babies cooked and ready for me to eat before scooting off to bed.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
In my latest playthrough I've made Ness's favorite food Jenkem and I have to say it's paying off in spades

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vrikkian posted:

I don't get cake whenever I get home.

It's pizza you philistine. Clearly you've made incorrect choices and were kicked out of Mother 4. You're now living in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest 2.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

In my latest playthrough I've made Ness's favorite food Jenkem and I have to say it's paying off in spades

Wow, that has to add a new layer of hilarity to the NPC in Moonside who talks about how disgusting your favorite food is.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Wow, that has to add a new layer of hilarity to the NPC in Moonside who talks about how disgusting your favorite food is.
You nailed it. When I talked to that guy I lost my poo poo. His dialogue becomes a total work of art!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Sockser posted:

Because you're just some gently caress off npc from Twoson. Sorry to break it to you this way.

He's just another Unassuming Local Guy...

• Locked thread