Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

flakeloaf posted:

"Would it be unacceptable to prepare food that satisfies religious requirements for people in hospital or long-term care facilities?" 60% Yes

What the hell is wrong with people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

All I know is Éric Grenier says there's a 0% chance the Liberals will lose.

*Darrell Dexter and Jaime Baille do a fist bump*

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Mac Harb is gone.

And good riddance.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PittTheElder posted:

What the hell is wrong with people?

Look, Mustafa, you're going to eat this ham hock, and you're gonna fuckin' like it. This pig was raised in Brampton, it's Canadian, unlike you.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Is the Vancouver Sun like every other paper with the name Sun or is it a bit more legit?

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Stephen+Hume+Federal+budget+cuts+close+renowned+astronomy/8826145/story.html

Closing an observatory to save $250K a year is the kind of thing that really loving angers me.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Is the Vancouver Sun like every other paper with the name Sun or is it a bit more legit?

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Stephen+Hume+Federal+budget+cuts+close+renowned+astronomy/8826145/story.html

Closing an observatory to save $250K a year is the kind of thing that really loving angers me.

The Vancouver Sun isn't owned by Sun Media, but is a National Post/Canada.com paper. So it's not a poo poo tabloid, but it's still pretty right of centre.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They're not closing the observatory - they're ending the wildly successful and awesome public education and outreach that happened there. You should still be at least as angry, though.

This.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

The actual survey has even more amusing clipart (have you ever seen a yarmulke with a Star of David on it?) and a totally balanced survey with such rational, sensible grownup responses as:

"Do you agree with the presence of a crucifix in the Provincial Assembly?" 55% Yes, 31% No
"Do you think there are actually too many accommodations for religious regalia in Quebec?*" 67% too many, 20% just enough, 7% not enough
"Would it be unacceptable to prepare food that satisfies religious requirements for people in hospital or long-term care facilities?" 60% Yes
"Would it be unacceptable to give patients the right to choose a physician or nurse of their own sex for religious reasons?" 61% Yes

:allears:

(*Rough translation)

Somehow I really am skeptical about this poll. I really don't get this impression from the general population and especially not for the last two holy poo poo.
If this is true and the answers aren't just from old people with land phones or something, I'm very disappointed.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 26, 2013

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm also ticked by this part from a different source:

"Drouin said in an unrelated decision, five research scientists at the NRC Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics – the active astronomy and astrophysics research arm on the site – will lose their jobs.

The five researchers were attached to the 10-year Atacama Large Millimeter/sub-millimeter Array (ALMA) radio telescope project, based in Chile. The project has concluded and the NRC could not find new jobs or projects for the employees, Drouin said. A sixth NRC employee working on an archive project with the Canadian Space Agency will also lose their job, as the project is finished."
[http://www.vicnews.com/news/212384661.html]

Guess they couldn't figure out how to use ALMA to find oil.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm amazed that NRC Herzberg still exists, really.

You should also take into account that the Conservative government is actually relatively friendly towards astronomy & astrophysics, compared to other sciences or branches of physics. That's right, this is how they treat the sciences that they are in favour of. If you're doing even more esoteric basic physics/chemistry, or god forbid something unpatriotic and objectionable like environmental or climate science, you're poo poo out of luck.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

By the way, I highly recommend The Big Con by Jonathan Chait. Here's a chunk from the NY Times review which does a better job than me in summarizing the book:
"Chait, a senior editor at The New Republic who writes the magazine’s TRB column, argues that a band of ideological zealots succeeded in capturing first the Republican Party and then, by poisoning the political process, Washington itself. Though their true agenda, tax cuts for the rich, was both economically unsound and politically unpopular, Chait writes, Bush and his conservative foot soldiers deceived the public and the press before pushing their policy — four huge tax cuts in six years, in case you lost count — on an enfeebled and corrupted Congress."
[http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/books/review/Lowenstein-t.html?_r=0]

It's from 2007 but the message is still dead on. What disturbs me is the parallels with our federal Conservative party (who are obviously nowhere near as right wing or ideology-fixed as the Republicans, but there are still similarities) in terms of having a rump ideology (Reform) take over, then exert as much power as the system will allow despite decades of precedent. Control of information and spinning-to-the-point-of-lying also feature in the book and are also themes here in Canada.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Tochiazuma posted:

Guess they couldn't figure out how to use ALMA to find oil.
Pretend there could be oil on asteroids, regain funding. :eng101:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oil comes from dead dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs were killed by asteroids.

Ergo,

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You could probably spin some lunatic justification about maybe possibly perhaps finding uranium in asteroids, but it wouldn't work anyway because oh no atoms!!!

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Angry Diplomat posted:

You could probably spin some lunatic justification about maybe possibly perhaps finding uranium in asteroids, but it wouldn't work anyway because oh no atoms!!!

Well no that wouldn't work either, unless I'm mistaken and we've come within an iota of exhausting our Uranium. Asteroids full of gold and Iridium is a far easier sell.

Scald fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 27, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

No see if you get uranium from asteroids you don't have to have uranium mines, which are terrible and bad for communities because

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Don't coal plants release more radiation than a uranium mine?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Daynab posted:

Somehow I really am skeptical about this poll. I really don't get this impression from the general population and especially not for the last two holy poo poo.
If this is true and the answers aren't just from old people with land phones or something, I'm very disappointed.

Initially I thought this was the newspaper taking the poll, but apparently QMI paid Léger to do it :eng99:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Don't coal plants release more radiation than a uranium mine?

Yes.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
How the hell do you measure more radiation in that case? Tons per GwH?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

And far more radiation than nuclear power plants, Fukushima excepted.

Also I'm taking over/unders on RCAF getting involved in this Syrian mess if the US goes loud. I'm thinking not. Our hornets are in no shape for doing serious SEAD work.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Robert Fife has gotten access to some of the emails between Wright and Duffy, they apparently make it clear Senators David Tkachuk and Carolyn Stewart Olsen were in on the deal since before Duffy agreed to it and were putting pressure on Duffy (e.g. threatening his Senate seat) to take Wright's money.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

Coal contains trace amounts of radioactive material, and you're burning a lot of it in one of those plants.

edit: here ya go http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste

"McBride and his co-authors estimated that individuals living near coal-fired installations are exposed to a maximum of 1.9 millirems of fly ash radiation yearly. To put these numbers in perspective, the average person encounters 360 millirems of annual "background radiation" from natural and man-made sources, including substances in Earth's crust, cosmic rays, residue from nuclear tests and smoke detectors.

Dana Christensen, associate lab director for energy and engineering at ORNL, says that health risks from radiation in coal by-products are low. "Other risks like being hit by lightning," he adds, "are three or four times greater than radiation-induced health effects from coal plants." And McBride and his co-authors emphasize that other products of coal power, like emissions of acid rain–producing sulfur dioxide and smog-forming nitrous oxide, pose greater health risks than radiation."

In other words, radiation from nuclear power plant < radiation from coal waste <<<< level you need to care about

Tochiazuma fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 27, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

Uh the problem with mining uranium in asteroids is the asteroid part, not the uranium.

Actually, there are some astronomy projects that get bonus funding by tracking near-Earth objects, like Pan-STARRS. I've also heard of some projects getting military funding as well - sounds crazy, until you hear something like how NASA was "donated" two unused spy satellites the hilarious subtext is that they have to pay the storage costs for them and don't have the money to turn them into useful scientific instruments.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Scientific American has a piece on it. It's still an absurdly low amount of exposure, but yeah, fly ash radiation exposure is equal or higher to living near a nuclear plant.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

It's not as bad as the other Suns, but it is a breathtakingly mediocre newspaper. My parents thought it was some sort of elaborate joke that it was somehow the city's main daily when we moved from the UK (and this is well before the newspaper collapse of the 2000s).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tochiazuma posted:

Coal contains trace amounts of radioactive material, and you're burning a lot of it in one of those plants.

edit: here ya go http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste

"McBride and his co-authors estimated that individuals living near coal-fired installations are exposed to a maximum of 1.9 millirems of fly ash radiation yearly. To put these numbers in perspective, the average person encounters 360 millirems of annual "background radiation" from natural and man-made sources, including substances in Earth's crust, cosmic rays, residue from nuclear tests and smoke detectors.

Dana Christensen, associate lab director for energy and engineering at ORNL, says that health risks from radiation in coal by-products are low. "Other risks like being hit by lightning," he adds, "are three or four times greater than radiation-induced health effects from coal plants." And McBride and his co-authors emphasize that other products of coal power, like emissions of acid rain–producing sulfur dioxide and smog-forming nitrous oxide, pose greater health risks than radiation."

In other words, radiation from nuclear power plant < radiation from coal waste <<<< level you need to care about

When I was doing a research paper on uranium procurement and refinement, I read a journal article (didn't end up using it) where some scientists in Belarus examined the radiation emission and natural isotope content of fly ash from several different coal plants. They were shockingly radioactive, not to mention toxic from heavy metal content, and that was just the crap that didn't make it into the air.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

DynamicSloth posted:

Robert Fife has gotten access to some of the emails between Wright and Duffy, they apparently make it clear Senators David Tkachuk and Carolyn Stewart Olsen were in on the deal since before Duffy agreed to it and were putting pressure on Duffy (e.g. threatening his Senate seat) to take Wright's money.

Radioactive coal is kinda interesting, but um, maybe we should be talking about this.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

And far more radiation than nuclear power plants, Fukushima excepted.

Also I'm taking over/unders on RCAF getting involved in this Syrian mess if the US goes loud. I'm thinking not. Our hornets are in no shape for doing serious SEAD work.

I'd say we probably would. The hornets are in fine shape, they fly practically everyday doing various training exercises and such. And on top of that, I doubt they would outfit our Hornets for SEAD work if we went in with the US, since they have both E/A-18E Growlers(USN) and F-16CJ's(USAF) that are much better suited for that sort of work. Our Hornets would likely just end up dropping a shitload of bombs and maverick's and such

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

DynamicSloth posted:

Christ. I wonder if Harper knew this was going to leak before he prorogued.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

^^^ It seems pretty damning, especially considering Harper's apparent obsession with being in complete control of everything that happens in and around the PMO. If anyone in the know felt there was any foreseeable possibility of a leak, it's pretty much guaranteed that he knew about it. ^^^

eXXon posted:

Uh the problem with mining uranium in asteroids is the asteroid part, not the uranium.

Yeah I know. I was chiming in on the humorous "asteroid oil" discussion.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 27, 2013

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Maybe I simply haven't sniffed it out, but has any party, federal or provincial (Quebec aside) said anything about this Charter of Values fiasco? The current government established an office for religious freedom. When they did so I thought it would be entirely useless and would never have a case come up where it would actually be useful (granted I still think it was strictly political) but this seems like the exact thing it would exist for. The NDP have been mute as well. How is this acceptable? I can only assume thet each party is waiting till another says something first so that when the damage is done they can swoop in and condemn it as well.

Polls aside, this makes me loving sick. We are seeing proposed legislation that is outright prejudice and grounded in nothing but xenophobia and ethnocentrism and our politicians are doing nothing about it.

Fake Edit: Oil doesn't principally come from dinosaurs, radiations levels from all our power sources are way below worry levels (with the two obvious exceptions), and we don't even have a really strong understanding of how moderately higher radiation levels of radiation would affect us and other life forums. The earth naturally doses us with radiation, as does the sun, both of which are in levels much higher than coal plants spewing the stuff. Radiation today is like Russians in 80s Bond movies.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I saw a clip on the news last night, actually, where they asked some mouthpiece of the Office of Religious Freedom what they were going to do about the Quebec thing, and his response was basically "this office exists to promote religious freedom in foreign countries which have an egregious lack thereof, not to be concerned with domestic matters."

So the Feds won't do gently caress all about it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Twiin posted:

Christ. I wonder if Harper knew this was going to leak before he prorogued.

Parliament wasn't going to be in session for three weeks anyway, though? Assuming for the sake of argument that Harper actually cares about facing questions in the Commons over this poo poo rather than simply ignoring or deflecting them like he's done since 2006, at the time he would have made the decision it was still a safe bet there would be some new shiny disaster for the Opposition to focus on by the time Parliament came back.

As long as he has his caucus on side, Harper has nothing to fear from Parliament. If he has to worry about anyone, it's the press, which is why the "proroguing to dodge scandals" narrative has never made any sense to me. The press doesn't shut up because Parliament is closed.

JoelJoel posted:

Maybe I simply haven't sniffed it out, but has any party, federal or provincial (Quebec aside) said anything about this Charter of Values fiasco?

Justone.

CTV posted:

Justin Trudeau became the first prominent federal politician to oppose Quebec's controversial plan to ban religious headwear for public employees.

The Liberal leader castigated the idea and said the Parti Quebecois government would damage Quebec's reputation if it proceeded with such a policy.

Trudeau, who happened to be in Quebec City on Wednesday, added the topic to the agenda of a previously scheduled meeting with Premier Pauline Marois.

Other party leaders, meanwhile, avoided comment.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 27, 2013

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

E: Oh, hello up there. I figured he'd go first. Took him long enough though, good god. How many advisors and spin doctors does it take before you can state your opinion on the introduction of mandatory bigotry?

JoelJoel posted:

Maybe I simply haven't sniffed it out, but has any party, federal or provincial (Quebec aside) said anything about this Charter of Values fiasco?

Not that I've seen. Maybe the other two parties don't want to piss off what appears to be a thin majority of Quebeckers and cost themselves votes in that province?

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 27, 2013

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I saw a clip on the news last night, actually, where they asked some mouthpiece of the Office of Religious Freedom what they were going to do about the Quebec thing, and his response was basically "this office exists to promote religious freedom in foreign countries which have an egregious lack thereof, not to be concerned with domestic matters."

So the Feds won't do gently caress all about it.

I don't think anyone in that office does any actual work.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

flakeloaf posted:

Took him long enough though, good god.

CTV posted:

Other party leaders, meanwhile, avoided comment.

Some people will find any possible way to try to make Trudeau look bad. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

flakeloaf posted:

E: Oh, hello up there. I figured he'd go first. Took him long enough though, good god. How many advisors and spin doctors does it take before you can state your opinion on the introduction of mandatory bigotry?

Yeah, it took him literally an entire day That is such a long time.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ahh sorry, I thought this was something recent. I too was under the impression that none of the party leaders had said anything up to this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Wow, Trudeau does something that doesn't seem wholly disingenuous and calculated. If he buys those polls going around then it is likely not in his favour to do this (at least on the face of things, could be very useful in the long run if played right). This is the first thing he has said or done since he became party leader that hasn't made me like him and his party less.

e: it's pretty loving sad that I'm applauding a politician for coming out against something like this. Seriously, this nonsense should be laughed off and all involved in Quebec should be loving ashamed.

:psyduck: ad infinitum

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 27, 2013

• Locked thread