Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Talky posted:

So I've run into a bit of bug that's putting a kink in my most recent Norse game. It happens when I try to prepare an invasion. Everything works fine, right up until the special event troops show up. When that happens, the popup that comes with it doesn't have the usual 'ok' button, so there's no way to get rid of the popup or unpause the game. I'm using 1.111 and Ck2+.

Any ideas on where I should start looking for the problem?

Download ck2+ from the Github link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So, with my 867 start, I have united Ireland under Catholic rule in 908.
Breifne had been taken over in a peasant revolt (!) and a bunch of claimants were kicked in to my court. I married one of them matrilineally to a sister, then killed the claimant once a child was born. A weak claim was inherited, so I declared war for one of the other claimants (with a strong claim), won that fight and then waited for the inevitable succession crisis. That kicked off and I declared war again, pressing my kinswoman's claim this time.

That was enough to push me over the 50% threshold for creating the King title and all the Counts on the island fell in line behind their true King.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Quick question, where would I go to adjust religious conversion probabilities? I want to buff unreformed chances slightly and reduce reformed chances slightly.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Mister Adequate posted:

Quick question, where would I go to adjust religious conversion probabilities? I want to buff unreformed chances slightly and reduce reformed chances slightly.

It's the first event in /events/job_lord_spiritual.txt.

e: actually I don't know which you meant but the first event is for converting counties and the fourth is for converting people.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh, hey, Asturias decided to press a claim while I was helping my son's mother-in-law with her holy war of Skotland. Of course, even if my troops weren't in loving Britain, I still wouldn't have had anywhere near the manpower to fight them since they ate Castille. Again. So I loving surrendered. Then me and Alto Aragon both launch claim wars, and I manage to win (Viscaya had a peasant revolt with over 4000 troops, I let them go, the ungrateful shits), then pissed of my new vassal Alto Aragon because I revoked the rear end in a top hat sitting in Navarra's titles, then when I tried to imprison her to revoke her titles, I failed to capture her and she revolted, so I stomped on her, went for a white peace, then tried again, no loving dice. Then Asturias found some other piece of poo poo lying around and made another claim war on me!

This happened in 9 years. In this time my son died, my king died, a four year old girl became queen, and I got pushed out of the line of succession for Mercia. gently caress you too, game.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

This game seems extremely limited in what you can do if you have no religious allies. Playing Zoroastrian (from the old gods' start) I managed to claw my way to holding most everything east of Persia, and most stuff north of that. In terms of land space I was basically the largest on the board. Problem being, 2nd largest just happened to be motherfucking Muslim Arabia, who had all the Persia territory I needed, the the entire arabian landmass infringing into Byzantium in the north, the eastern half of Africa, just a giant goddamn brick of zealots who could easily crush me and everyone else even if I could get some allies to help fight them. They had like 150k troops to call on, I was at maybe 50k, Byzantium 40k, and nobody else really worth mentioning. And of course since I'm off in my own religious cul-de-sac, I can't get any alliances or do much of any interaction with other countries outside of fighting. The only chance of toppling the empire would be to kill the Caliph and his heirs until everything crumbled, which at 450g a pop is pretty drat expensive not to mention the like 20% chance of success. And forget about plotting, everyone loving loved the guy. Eventually I just got fed up of struggling to keep him off my rear end since he could just go to war at a whim and take my whole kingdom, loaded up the save as him and gave independance to everyone not part of his de-jure empire.

I know it's probably appropriate for the time period, but poo poo is it boring to be the odd man out at the religious buffet. Only good thing is being able to holy war anyone I want, but I'm not particularly interested in conquering the whole map. Hmm.. now that I have the land I want finally maybe I could release all the lovely northlands as an independant state and try to help THEM conquer poo poo. 400 years to go, gotta find something to do.

E: oh yeah and gently caress mountains, yeah I love taking a full year to move troops across my country every time I go to war

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Seems like bending the knee and working to topple his regime from within might have been a viable plan. Start a Me For Emperor faction and immediately have 50,000 men to swing -- not a bad start.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Seems like bending the knee and working to topple his regime from within might have been a viable plan. Start a Me For Emperor faction and immediately have 50,000 men to swing -- not a bad start.

You know, I never even thought of that :downs: I've never played as a vassal yet, but the infidel relations penalties make it drat hard to get liked by muslims.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Whoops. My Ua Briain run is up to 1207 now. For being the only king to show up on a Crusade of Andalusia, the pope handed me the whole kingdom there as thanks for doing all the fighting. Shot my demense up to 30/9 so I just checked 'include lower titles' and handed out duchies to all my sons and cousins. Several of them had +680 boosts to their relationship with my king from that, Andalusia had a TON of holdings. A couple of those dukes now can mobilize 8-10k armies. I'm sure that'll make things interesting down the road.

I agree with the 'one noble one county' rule of realm organisation, but once you get to a certain size, micromanagement becomes unbearable unless you start to create vassal kingdoms. At that point, the dukes who are not directly your vassals will be the headache of someone else.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lars Krimi posted:

I agree with the 'one noble one county' rule of realm organisation, but once you get to a certain size, micromanagement becomes unbearable unless you start to create vassal kingdoms. At that point, the dukes who are not directly your vassals will be the headache of someone else.
Yeah, but vassal kingdoms are ten times dangerous than vassal Dukes. Dukes can be headache as an Emperor, vassals kings can be fatal.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Indecisive posted:

You know, I never even thought of that :downs: I've never played as a vassal yet, but the infidel relations penalties make it drat hard to get liked by muslims.

An AI empire of that size will be bursting with discontent even in the best of times. You might also try assassinating emperors until there is a child on the throne, this will likely cause strings of rebellions that are good opportunities to take land.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, but vassal kingdoms are ten times dangerous than vassal Dukes. Dukes can be headache as an Emperor, vassals kings can be fatal.

Too true, but once it starts taking 15 minutes to organize your armies every time you want to mobilize, what can you do?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So I started a new game as the Sorbs (though same rules, Christian Duchess, ect, though I kept the culture), and figured that I'd swear fealty to Great Moravia. It went well for a bit, but Great Moravia kept on getting chunks bit off of it, so I left. Not quite certain what to do now (Pommerania took Brandenburg from me, so I was a two county duchy), I looked around, and saw that Poland was a Kingdom now, though pagan. Whatever, I swore fealty to them because I needed somebody big to keep everybody off of me. Then Great Moravia tried to take my land, but we were doing ok. Then in the middle of the war, the King of Poland declared a subjugation war of Pommerania, which I didn't think to much about until suddenly the entire north of me turned a lovely shade of red. We stomped on GM. It's only 892, but I'm feeling good about this run. I think I can make something of it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Indecisive posted:

Submitting to vassalage for a few generations is the way to go for sure. My last game as a ruler creator Muslim Amalfi I had to bend my knee to the ERE, but by the time my grandson took over I owned nearly all of Sicily and was ready to throw off the shackles of the Greek oppressors.

Also, Muslim Trade Republics are even more OP than the Norse. You can control every type of holding without penalty, giving you giant stacks of troops, piety, and a fair bit of cash. You still get the conquest CB on everyone, plus you get to Holy War from day 1 instead of having to reform. The only thing you're missing is the raiding, but as a republic you end up with so much cash you don't need to raid.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Here's where my first Ua Briain playthrough is at right now:

After two crusades and a slew of holy wars, King Congalach has the largest army in the world (just slightly more than the Ilkhanate) and is by far the most famous and pious man in the world. He can mobilize about 115K. He also has a harelip. :smith:

Castile was a nice solid block taking up almost all the rest of Spain, so I decided I wanted to cause a succession crisis in Castile so I could go to war against rebelling vassals and hoover up a couple more de jure counties in Andalusia.

Apparently everyone hated the entire succession line, because I was able to get 500-780% plot power over and over and had wiped out all the heirs within two years. Two kings and four queens. This made the thrones of Castile and Galicia fall out of the Jimena dynasty into a French princess' control. Spain imploded.

As did France.

As did the Holy Roman Empire.

Three of my main rivals completely and rapidly fragmented into a giant mess of wars that are all directly related to the Castile succession crisis.

:black101:

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 27, 2013

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Charlz Guybon posted:

No kidding - as Emperor of Scandinavia I granted the Kingdom of Finland and all titles under it to the Duke of Finland thinking, "eh, it's just Finland, it's full of forests, he won't be as dangerous as the Duke of Normandy" - and the King is consistently my biggest vassal in terms of levy and somehow always ends up a part of plots against me, either to lower CA or independence. It's kind of fun figuring out new ways of dealing with Finland, but it's definitely not something to do if you want to avoid bullshit.

On the flipside, the Kings of Finland have been busy pushing east into pagan lands to expand territory so I've been able to focus on Western Europe. (That also explains their big levies.)

As Byzantium I managed to have vassal kings without getting into trouble by having several vassal kings who preferred to bicker with each other and acted as counterweights. And, of course, I had all of Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria and the west of Anatolia to myself to smack down troublemakers with.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 27, 2013

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

After two crusades and a slew of holy wars, King Congalach has the largest army in the world (just slightly more than the Ilkhanate) and is by far the most famous and pious man in the world. He can mobilize about 115K. He also has a harelip. :smith:

Castile was a nice solid block taking up almost all the rest of Spain, so I decided I wanted to cause a succession crisis in Castile so I could go to war against rebelling vassals and hoover up a couple more de jure counties in Andalusia.

Apparently everyone hated the entire succession line, because I was able to get 500-780% plot power over and over and had wiped out all the heirs within two years. Two kings and four queens. This made the thrones of Castile and Galicia fall out of the Jimena dynasty into a French princess' control. Spain imploded.

As did France.

Three of my main rivals completely and rapidly fragmented into a giant mess of wars that are all directly related to the Castile succession crisis.

Stop making England your primary Kingdom. You're Irish, for heaven's sake!

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Are there any mods that add events and flavor but nothing else so the game can still be converted to EU4?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rurik posted:

Are there any mods that add events and flavor but nothing else so the game can still be converted to EU4?

VIET probably works, but I'm not certain.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Piell posted:

VIET probably works, but I'm not certain.

I can vouch for this. Have a converted save game that I haven't played yet and it's mostly fine apart for some weird noreligion provinces in Timurid lands, but they can still be converted.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

As did France.

Your next task is to FIX THOSE loving BORDERS JESUS CHRIST

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Are there any mods that just add events to the game, with no other changes?

I've looked at VIET and as far as I can tell whilst I can leave out a lot of changes I don't want and only add the Events portion I still have to have the core VIET module bit which has changes I don't want.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
How do I get Primogeniture as a duke vassal to a King?

I had to execute my first born son after I discovered his plot to kill me, which I'm pretty sure was his wife as I purposely married him to a 25 intrigue Occitan woman for plotting (backfired) purposes. I made the mistake of thinking my other, gayer son would be the celibate one but within 6 years he's had 4 kids, 3 of them males :stare:, so I've saved myself at least one generation until Gavelkind misery.

My other question is how do you become king if you are vassal? Since the title is already created it says I can't usurp, am I to assume I'd have to marry into it after like 3 generation or so?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Toadsniff posted:

My other question is how do you become king if you are vassal? Since the title is already created it says I can't usurp, am I to assume I'd have to marry into it after like 3 generation or so?

Inherit it, marry into the family and get claims you can then press or for a faction to press, form a faction to change laws to elective succession and try to get voted it, win an independence war and then usurp the title assuming you meet the prerequisites. Plot to get claims on the title. Gaining a different king title (like Jerusalem in a crusade or something) will get you that title and independence, assuming your liege is not an emporer.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Are there any mods that just add events to the game, with no other changes?

I've looked at VIET and as far as I can tell whilst I can leave out a lot of changes I don't want and only add the Events portion I still have to have the core VIET module bit which has changes I don't want.

I think even the core module isn't actually necessary, the only one that's truly required is the assets one. I might be wrong, but can't check on my phone. I believe it mentions something about it in the readme.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

I've only been playing for about a week, so I apologize if these are common questions, or covered ad nauseam, but I was hoping someone could tell me:

Some questions I have:

- How can I tell whether marrying someone is going to cause my character to leave my court and go to theirs, or vice versa? Once they're gone, is there any way to get them to come back? It's really an issue with my dynasty's women. Every time I want to marry them matrilineally and set them up with some holdings, they get whisked off to the court of the man they married and I can't give them any titles.

- When I’m building things in my holdings, is there a place where I can see a list of all my holdings, what they’re building, and whether or not they could be building something? I know that I have a list of all my castles/baronies right above my favourite people list (and that it tells me if the castle/barony is building something) but is there a way to see the same info for churches and cities inside my demesne? Because I haven’t figured that out yet and keep forgetting about them!

- When it comes to kids, is there any special trick to breeding certain stats/traits besides making sure the kids are educated by guardians with those stats and traits? Ideally I’m looking to fill some of my council positions with family members, but I’m not sure how to guarantee that I’ll have kids with high enough stats.

- You know the alert that pops up when you can imprison someone? It’s one of the circular alerts at the top of the screen, and it’s a picture of the ball and chain. I think I accidentally disabled that alert, and would very much like to get it back! My kingdom is growing so keeping tabs on all the plots is easier when I get notifications that I can send someone to jail. Does anyone know (a) what that kind of alert is called and (B) how to get it back?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'd say that by the time you've got a big enough empire that micromanagement starts to become a serious hassle, vassal kings aren't much more dangerous than vassal dukes were back when you were just a king. I wouldn't delegate my entire realm to vassal kings, just in case, but it's easier to stay on good terms with (or just stab) one king than it is to manage a half-dozen dukes, and it helps with other realm management tasks too.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Allyn posted:

It's the first event in /events/job_lord_spiritual.txt.

e: actually I don't know which you meant but the first event is for converting counties and the fourth is for converting people.

Ah, it was the former, thanks muchly for this, I didn't realize the jobs were stored like that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If a tutor gains a title will they take their ward with them? I had one of my kids whisked away and granted land (he was like 6, WTF) in some foreign court on the other end of the continent. My wife was still in my court, but I'd assigned the kid to some tutor who I think had become landed. I've never seen that happen before.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BBJoey posted:

Your next task is to FIX THOSE loving BORDERS JESUS CHRIST

I'm honestly at a loss as to what he needs to fix with his borders.

Red Terror
Oct 1, 2009

Astfgl posted:

The AI sometimes two times you with marriage betrothals. When it comes up they will remind you of the marriage but sometimes they switch it back to patrilineal and you just didn't notice. You need to pay attention and make sure to decline their offer and ensure they stick to the original agreement. Either that or they accepted an invitation to another court because they hate you before you could set anything up.

Don't bother, they create their own income and will upgrade them accordingly if you have the proper tech level. Focus on your own holdings or create new ones if there is room.

Check the traits of the people you send them too. Guardians with high stats will pass more stats over to their wards. Guardians with cowardly traits will choose cowardly decisions upon ward trait events. Similarly zealous guardians are more likely to convert wards to their religion and those that are diligent or gregarious tend to convert wards to their culture.

Restart or from a quick google search:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Astfgl posted:

I've only been playing for about a week, so I apologize if these are common questions, or covered ad nauseam, but I was hoping someone could tell me:

Some questions I have:

- How can I tell whether marrying someone is going to cause my character to leave my court and go to theirs, or vice versa? Once they're gone, is there any way to get them to come back? It's really an issue with my dynasty's women. Every time I want to marry them matrilineally and set them up with some holdings, they get whisked off to the court of the man they married and I can't give them any titles.

If a character is a ruler already, the spouse will go live with them in their court. So if you matrilineally marry a daughter to a landless man, he will come to your court. Regularly marry her though, and she will move to live with her husband even if he's unlanded.

Astfgl posted:

- When I’m building things in my holdings, is there a place where I can see a list of all my holdings, what they’re building, and whether or not they could be building something? I know that I have a list of all my castles/baronies right above my favourite people list (and that it tells me if the castle/barony is building something) but is there a way to see the same info for churches and cities inside my demesne? Because I haven’t figured that out yet and keep forgetting about them!

On the county view, click on the holding's picture and it will list all the stuff that's built there. If you own it you can build/improve things.

Astfgl posted:

- When it comes to kids, is there any special trick to breeding certain stats/traits besides making sure the kids are educated by guardians with those stats and traits? Ideally I’m looking to fill some of my council positions with family members, but I’m not sure how to guarantee that I’ll have kids with high enough stats.

Traits that have a heart shape are inheritable, otherwise it's down to their education.

Astfgl posted:

- You know the alert that pops up when you can imprison someone? It’s one of the circular alerts at the top of the screen, and it’s a picture of the ball and chain. I think I accidentally disabled that alert, and would very much like to get it back! My kingdom is growing so keeping tabs on all the plots is easier when I get notifications that I can send someone to jail. Does anyone know (a) what that kind of alert is called and (B) how to get it back?

Disabled alerts are on the pop up menu on the right hand side of the screen, the same place that lists your characters of interest and units.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003

Astfgl posted:

As someone else said, the secondary partner moves to the court of the primary partner (the female in a matrilineal marriage). If the primary partner is unlanded and the secondary partner is a ruler, they will always move to the court of the ruler, however.

There are different kinds of traits. Inheritable traits (genius, strong, attractive etc.) depend on genetics. Education traits (grey eminence, indulgent wastrel etc.) seem to depend exclusively on the guardian. Stats and normal traits seem to depend mostly on the guardian, but also partially on the primary parent (again, the female in a matrilineal marriage) and semi-random events.

I prefer to keep a lot of family members at my court instead of giving them land and sending them off to other courts unnecessarily. If you start granting family members land, you will largely lose control over marriages and the education of children. The closest family members typically get married for alliances and claims. Cousins and more distant family members typically get married to geniuses with great stats and traits (use the character finder). Make sure to select guardians with a 4 star education trait and other nice traits. Avoid ambitious guardians like the plague. If you are particularly interested in a child as a potential heir (typically a boy with the genius trait), make sure to tutor him yourself unless your ruler is completely terrible. You get the chance to select the outcome of a number of events that will determine the traits gained, and AI guardians typically don't seem to make the wisest choices. It's quite easy to get the heir of your choice elected when both you and the heir have great traits that give huge bonuses to relations with everyone.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Do Sunnis have any hope at the 1066 start? I've been playing Muslim Hispania, but the Seljuks somehow failed in Armenia, and the Shia Caliphate owns Persia now. Sunni moral authority is always less than 20, and I can't stamp out heresy. Will I have to fight my way to Mecca?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

londonmoose posted:

I think even the core module isn't actually necessary, the only one that's truly required is the assets one. I might be wrong, but can't check on my phone. I believe it mentions something about it in the readme.

Ahh if that is the case that'd be great.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

Ahh if that is the case that'd be great.

Yes that is the case.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

marktheando posted:

Yes that is the case.

So how are the VIET events and new traits? (as they are the only modules that I want.)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

So how are the VIET events and new traits? (as they are the only modules that I want.)

I didn't try the traits, just the events in a game with Project Balance. But I didn't really like the events, many of them are poorly written and there aren't that many. But since I was playing a Norseman maybe I was missing out on a bunch of culture specific ones.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Geokinesis posted:

It's pretty good, the events are not-terrible and are varied enough to add some extra spice/~*immersion*~ to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

My idiot (literally, he has the imbecile trait) uncle just murdered me and took my duchy. God damnit.

• Locked thread