Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Doesn't the term moba already mean 'exactly the same as league of legends'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Remember back when every single FPS was called a Doom-clone?

Good times.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Also the days when the entire fighting game genre basically boiled down to "Street Fighter Clone".

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
You could say that every single game ever made are RPGs.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Thwack! posted:

You could say that every single game ever made are RPGs.

Every game has been a pokemon ripoff since 1994 or whatever.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Is KoF a roguelike?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

interrodactyl posted:

Is KoF a roguelike?

Pretty sure it is a roguelikelike and that is being generous. :colbert:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fun posted:

Doesn't the term moba already mean 'exactly the same as league of legends'?

The same as Dota, to be more precise (some people still say Dotalike instead of MOBA). Most of the cheesy Asian clones seem to use LoL as their template, though (maybe because the quality level is indistinguishable).

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Iori's ult isn't maiden masher so who cares

This is the only correct response to this game. :colbert:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Brosnan posted:

The same as Dota, to be more precise (some people still say Dotalike instead of MOBA). Most of the cheesy Asian clones seem to use LoL as their template, though (maybe because the quality level is indistinguishable).

The term MOBA was made up by Riot to avoid references to Dota and for most people MOBA and LoL are pretty much synonymous. Most western LoL clones also seem to rip it off down to the smallest details, which seems incredibly stupid since why would you play a lovely copy when you can play LoL for free?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Arzachel posted:

The term MOBA was made up by Riot to avoid references to Dota and for most people MOBA and LoL are pretty much synonymous. Most western LoL clones also seem to rip it off down to the smallest details, which seems incredibly stupid since why would you play a lovely copy when you can play LoL for free?

For the players who are lovely at LoL.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Arzachel posted:

MOBA was a term made up by a pedophile con artist named Hunter who used to "run" Heroes of Newerth tournaments

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Always thought it stood for Man-On-Baby-Assault and nothing I've seen or heard has contradicted this.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Getting hung up on genre naming conventions is dumb and whatever people currently call it is probably what everyone should keep calling it because who cares gosh dangit!

ARTS is about as descriptive as MOBA and everyone uses MOBA at this point so... just call it a MOBA dang.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Waterbed posted:

Getting hung up on genre naming conventions is dumb and whatever people currently call it is probably what everyone should keep calling it because who cares gosh dangit!

ARTS is about as descriptive as MOBA and everyone uses MOBA at this point so... just call it a MOBA dang.

Everyone who plays that genre have moobs. So it's called MOBA. It's logic dumdums.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
MOBA is a super gross word and the only time it's ever really used is in reference to LoL, blatant ripoffs of LoL (Infinite Crisis/Dawngate/GoME/Prime World), or by dev teams of extremely dubious reputation (S2/HiRez) doing whatever possible to try and associate themselves with LoL's success.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MOBA is way more fun to say than ARTS and that's why people should use it(see also: Strekken).

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
FARTS (fast action real time strategy)is the only true name for that genre.

In related news, I am 8.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Equilibrium posted:

MOBA is a super gross word and the only time it's ever really used is in reference to LoL, blatant ripoffs of LoL (Infinite Crisis/Dawngate/GoME/Prime World), or by dev teams of extremely dubious reputation (S2/HiRez) doing whatever possible to try and associate themselves with LoL's success.

Gross how. How is it any worse than a Game where you Play a Role, or one where Action occurs on screen.

Also it sounds cooler comin out of my mouth. moh-bahhhh.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Just call them dota. If you want to play dota, I suggest dota. I want to see Athena reflect in the kof one. Bounce skill shots all day.

I think they should make it so in dota, you have to do fg motions on the arrow keys to cast your spells. So like malefice could be a qcf but blackhole is a 360. I mostly want this so I can read a huge thread full of new finger puzzles complainers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 26, 2013

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I can't wait for the League of Legends fighting game!

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

AXE COP posted:

I can't wait for the League of Legends fighting game!

I hope you were joking and didn't already know about http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/180381/league-of-fighters-a-fan-made-league-of-legends-pc-fighter

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey posted:

Just call them dota. If you want to play dota, I suggest dota. I want to see Athena reflect in the kof one. Bounce skill shots all day.

I think they should make it so in dota, you have to do fg motions on the arrow keys to cast your spells. So like malefice could be a qcf but blackhole is a 360. I mostly want this so I can read a huge thread full of new finger puzzles complainers.

That's kinda what Invoker is.

Wait what the gently caress thread am I in now?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Gross how. How is it any worse than a Game where you Play a Role, or one where Action occurs on screen.

Also it sounds cooler comin out of my mouth. moh-bahhhh.

It's not gross because it's dumb and nondescript, it's gross because it's the invention of Hunter_, and because it perfectly encapsulates Riots' self-serving revisionist history approach to the genre.

Mejwell
Jun 5, 2004

Great!
I'm not sure whether I will be more disappointed if it turns out to be a lovely bandwagoning spin-off, or if it turns out to be a legitimate attempt at a new full-fledged game, because the former just demonstrates how terribly intellectually bankrupt and moneygrubbing it is, while the latter just means that they could've made an actual new king of fighters game.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mejwell posted:

I'm not sure whether I will be more disappointed if it turns out to be a lovely bandwagoning spin-off, or if it turns out to be a legitimate attempt at a new full-fledged game, because the former just demonstrates how terribly intellectually bankrupt and moneygrubbing it is, while the latter just means that they could've made an actual new king of fighters game.

They still could.

Is it out of the realm of possibility for some of the assets from this moba, or whatever the gently caress, to be reused in an actual fighter?

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
I am pretty sure the Korean studio making this game that only currently exists in Thailand and regular SNK team in Japan can't possibly be working on two separate titles, so it's probably safe to say that this is KoF XIV.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

The Brawl Stick would be a good "small" stick- more expensive, but it's a great size and you can swap out everything in there for Sanwa/Seimitsu, and even toss in a dual mod pcb if you like. What sucks though is that Amazon sellers are selling them at 42 bucks at the lowest.

If you wanted to go all out, you could also go for a Tek Series case from Art's Hobbies- http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=12 is the url. 58 bucks, and you'd have to buy a PCB, buttons, stick, and wiring harness. I've played with one before, they're well built and you can customize the hell out of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8EYAHvopkk. That's probably going to be well over the $100 budget though.

Focus-attack is going to start selling The Link as well too- basically a removable joystick shaft that fits Sanwa JLF sticks, if you find a stick you like and want to make it a better form factor.
http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/

Hell if you need parts and can pay shipping I can hook you up. I got an old Qanba PS3 PCB, Sanwa Buttons and maybe an LS32 or similar sitting around here.

I wouldn't go Tek case for form factor though, they are pretty big from the three I've handled. Not as big as a TE or Edge but pretty large.

But if you're gonna mod then there really is no reason not to go PS2 Namco. Not only are the stock innards good, but its an extremely easy stick to mod. My stick is a five hundred dollar heavy wood motherfucker so when I don't want to wrap it up and take it with me I grab my other fabulous piece of work:

That reminds me, that one has a dead button I need to re-solder and I have another Namco on my bench I need to mod up with new buttons and a Garou MOTW faceplate I had made for it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm deeply disturbed to hear that Potemkin Buster's range is decreased. What happened to the best-grab-ever, Arksys?

But seriously, I hope he's still good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

uncleKitchener posted:

I'm deeply disturbed to hear that Potemkin Buster's range is decreased. What happened to the best-grab-ever, Arksys?

But seriously, I hope he's still good.

Last I checked, the range stayed the same in +R and actually got its damage increased. :confused: It's Slidehead that got nerfed into the ground.

Edit: Wait, poo poo, unless you were referring to Xrd. But so little of that is set in stone at this point, I wouldn't worry about it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

S-Alpha posted:

Last I checked, the range stayed the same in +R and actually got its damage increased. :confused: It's Slidehead that got nerfed into the ground.

Edit: Wait, poo poo, unless you were referring to Xrd. But so little of that is set in stone at this point, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah, this is Xrd PTB, but maybe this is because Hammerfall has a safe follow-up now or maybe his movement options are better. I missed the gameplay videos, so I didn't get to see anything and I can't watch youtube vids with my current internet anyway.

I mean, they really can't make him as awful as Tager no matter how hard they try.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
That makes me wonder about grapplers in general. I really like playing grappler characters, but given the nature of their strategy as a whole they get increasingly difficult to make work at higher levels. What are some games where grapplers sit at a comfortably high tier?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Elec posted:

That makes me wonder about grapplers in general. I really like playing grappler characters, but given the nature of their strategy as a whole they get increasingly difficult to make work at higher levels. What are some games where grapplers sit at a comfortably high tier?

Old Potemkin and Cerebella are the only good grapplers I've ever seen. Maybe Tominaga's 3S Makoto. Or Wesker.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Elec posted:

Vanilla street fighter 4

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Jmcrofts posted:

Vanilla street fighter 4

I miss vanilla Gief and Abel.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

In the initial arcade release of Battle Fantasia, Donvalve was apparently broken tier because you could grab pre-jump frames or something.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Jmcrofts posted:

Vanilla street fighter 4

At this rate Abel's only Evo top 8 appearance will be that first game in Justin vs Daigo '09 where Justin lost to Daigo's turbo standing jab :911:

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Elec posted:

O. T Hawk?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Makoto in 3rd strike sits pretty comfortably just below the unholy trinity of Yun/Ken/Chun.

Her potential 100% damage combo is part of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdNFkvPzg5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Spuckuk posted:

Makoto in 3rd strike sits pretty comfortably just below the unholy trinity of Yun/Ken/Chun.

Her potential 100% damage combo is part of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zjrNvzNoaM

edit: The CRAZY part is that Makoto's position as 4th best in the game considers the ability to 100% off a command grab, but the top 3 are still way better than her.

• Locked thread