Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I don't even give them a chance. gently caress those systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Helushune posted:

I just received several emails from some of our new hires...
:byodood: "There's no Outlook or Word icons on my desktop! These are mission critical programs that I need installed within the hour to do my work!"

I know for a fact that Office is installed on these users machines because I personally re-imaged their workstations. This whole "the icon's not on my desktop and that means the program's not installed" mentality is becoming more and more common in all of our new hires. It seems like no one knows what the start menu is or hasn't the slightest idea of how to use it.

I have gotten this multiple times.

I was on one of my rare days off, boss was gone for the day, and even between the employee who submitted the ticket, our HR lady and an engineer from manufacturing... Nobody understood the concept of Start->All Programs->Office............................

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004
Sorry Fuzzy, that really blows. I'd missed most of your ongoing saga of fail. 'Course you've got ammo to cover your rear end, right?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

drukqs posted:

I have gotten this multiple times.

I was on one of my rare days off, boss was gone for the day, and even between the employee who submitted the ticket, our HR lady and an engineer from manufacturing... Nobody understood the concept of Start->All Programs->Office............................
My favorite is when this comes in the form of, "Subject: ALL OF MY EMAIL IS GONE!!!!!1!!!ONE!!" and then I show up in their office and lo and behold, nobody's home. I open Outlook and all their email is there that I can tell, then go back to my office to receive another email, "MY EMAIL IS STILL MISSING WHY DIDN'T YOU FIX IT!!?!?"

(outlook shortcut missing from desktop)

coyo7e posted:

"As a painter I just wanted to let you know that my new monitor.."

Happy Monday!
This woman came in again and wanted to show me how bad her screen was after she tried to adjust the color settings.. Looks perfect to me..? She insisted it was still pinkish so I showed her how to change the color temp and said, "as an IT professional, it looks fine for your work editing white papers.)

Migishu posted:

I don't even give them a chance. gently caress those systems.
Hey man, sometimes you have to call FedEx and schedule a pickup (and don't have your own personal executive assistant to do so for you :btroll: ) and the easiest way is to say gently caress gently caress gently caress and then boom you're speaking to a human before you finished your third gently caress.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 27, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

TWBalls posted:

We have a couple of somewhat similar stupid situations with laptops here. I had a small stack of laptops that were supposed to be loaners for end users. Some of the other techs loaned them out without telling me and none of them thought to take note of whom is borrowing what. I now have no more loaners and no one knows where the others are.

We ordered about 10 or so laptops for the O.R. (4 for main O.R., 4 for Outpatient Surgery O.R and 2 for Labor & Delivery O.R.) They were all purchased with locks so that they wouldn't be stolen or moved around. We've already had to have a couple of them fixed/replaced due to the Anesthesiology techs dropping them. We've also had to make an easy labeling system for them since they keep moving around. ORLAP-01 should naturally go in O.R. Room 1, but of course it's not always there which can be a pain when you are trying to remote into it to help them with issues (otherwise you gotta put on a bunny suit, cap and face mask in order to go into the room and fix it).

Our ANÄ Laptops are on metal tables with wheels, glued and locked to them. Maybe this can help you as well? Prevents both stealing and dropping, sadly not dumbassery.
Also, just asking them where they are right now usually works, we just have a p-touch label with the name on them.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

coyo7e posted:

This woman came in again and wanted to show me how bad her screen was after she tried to adjust the color settings.. Looks perfect to me..? She insisted it was still pinkish so I showed her how to change the color temp and said, "as an IT professional, it looks fine for your work editing white papers.)

Funny, most cheapo business monitors I get hold of are too blue, not too red.

I own a little ColorHug though; so I just bring it in, boot off the LiveCD that it comes with in and calibrate them myself. It makes them easier on the eyes and reduces eyestrain, with the added bonus that the vertical viewing angle is severely reduced for some reason.

All I work with is black+white too, the only time I handle colour images is to convert them to black+white.

Pissing me off this week. Customer leases a high volume colour printer of unknown make and uses this for bulk batch runs of B&W documents, against my advice. Turns out that if you print a document that includes a 256 greyscale image, the printer treats that as colour and they get billed accordingly. If you drop it to 1-bit monochrome then it's billed as B&W.

Lum fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 27, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I had a guy tell me his MacBook was slow last week. We've been a PC shop for years, but have allowed a mixed environment starting last year. We have no training whatsoever, but we can figure out most of the basic stuff.

"It's slow" is almost invariably a bullshit claim, but sure, I'll look at it. He says it's been a problem for months, but he's only bothered to tell us about it now, and it took him a while to actually bring it in. He can't stay, he has things to do, so I look at it and I can find absolutely nothing wrong with it. I get an email at the end of the day as I'm on the way out the door containing both his description of the problem and his assistant's restatement of that description, which do not agree with each other. He says "it keeps spinning when email is open"; she says "the disc spins when Internet Explorer" is open. (Recall that this is a MacBook Pro. It is not running Parallels or anything like that. It is definitely not an "Internet Explorer" problem.) I get nothing more than those descriptions to go on. I have no idea if this is an Outlook issue or something in webmail or what.

I did finally manage to catch up with him and he says it's Outlook. (Of course, his descriptions so far have of limited accuracy, so who knows, but it's somewhere to start.) He still hasn't actually managed to bring the machine back in for me to look at.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

guppy posted:

I had a guy tell me his MacBook was slow last week. We've been a PC shop for years, but have allowed a mixed environment starting last year. We have no training whatsoever, but we can figure out most of the basic stuff.

"It's slow" is almost invariably a bullshit claim, but sure, I'll look at it. He says it's been a problem for months, but he's only bothered to tell us about it now, and it took him a while to actually bring it in. He can't stay, he has things to do, so I look at it and I can find absolutely nothing wrong with it. I get an email at the end of the day as I'm on the way out the door containing both his description of the problem and his assistant's restatement of that description, which do not agree with each other. He says "it keeps spinning when email is open"; she says "the disc spins when Internet Explorer" is open. (Recall that this is a MacBook Pro. It is not running Parallels or anything like that. It is definitely not an "Internet Explorer" problem.) I get nothing more than those descriptions to go on. I have no idea if this is an Outlook issue or something in webmail or what.

I did finally manage to catch up with him and he says it's Outlook. (Of course, his descriptions so far have of limited accuracy, so who knows, but it's somewhere to start.) He still hasn't actually managed to bring the machine back in for me to look at.

Disable Antivirus and it will probably magically work.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

guppy posted:

Is there a new Mac out/coming out? If it's out then this guy is trying to get one. If it's not out yet then he's putting in the ground work so that when it does come out he can claim his old one has been "broken for ages."

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like an opportunity to sell him an SSD and a days labour for data transfer.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Guessing the "spinning disc" think refers to the spinning beachball effect that Macs do in place of the Windows XP eggtimer or the Vista/7/8 swirly blue O thing. If you don't realise the beachball is supposed to be a 3D sphere it would look like a spinning disc.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dennyk posted:

I guess too many customers finally figured out that just screaming incoherently while mashing the 0 button repeatedly would usually get you to a live person without having to deal with their bullshit menus, which meant they still had to actually hire live people pay some company overseas to provide live people for customers to talk to.

Right, this is exactly why they did it. Someone got a bonus for making an awful, awful support system that made me strongly tempted to switch providers right then and there.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BurgerQuest posted:

Sounds like an opportunity to sell him an SSD and a days labour for data transfer.

This is internal, actually.

Lum posted:

Guessing the "spinning disc" think refers to the spinning beachball effect that Macs do in place of the Windows XP eggtimer or the Vista/7/8 swirly blue O thing. If you don't realise the beachball is supposed to be a 3D sphere it would look like a spinning disc.

Oh, yeah, that part I understood. Thanks though.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Right, this is exactly why they did it. Someone got a bonus for making an awful, awful support system that made me strongly tempted to switch providers right then and there.

I spent some time dealing with Avaya yesterday. Avaya does the other thing I hate. Even choice point, every hold message, every option urges you to go to their support site and enter your ticket on the web, even going so far as to say that web tickets are handled faster. The fun thing is that Avaya's business is pretty much dependent on large call centers, so it's ironic that they are not wanting you to use the phone.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Motronic posted:

What B&W printers are you using that don't have a drum in the toner cartridge?

I looked up a picture of the printer's guts and I was remembering wrong, it was the fuser that got brutally stabbed to death, not the drum. Big chunks of it were missing so even after I cleaned and reassembled the thing it would print with a leopard spot pattern of missing/unfused toner.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

guppy posted:

Is he actually using Outlook? Or is it Apple's default "Mail" program? I had someone here with an iMac that was running slow and it turned out Mail was taking up like 3GB of the 4GB of RAM. It seemed like it was trying to hold the entire mailbox in RAM or something. She had Entourage installed so I just told her to use that.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket got re-opened

About a month ago a ticket was assigned to the Sr on the account to make it so that mail.company.ca worked in the new exchange environment because https://mail.company.ca/owa was too annoying for everyone to remember. Fair enough. He said he completed the work and closed the ticket.

I get an email today from the CEO saying it still isn't working.

Ive never done this before so I googled the solution to see if there was something unchecked or a setting missing. I checked the exchange server, nothing had been done to it and the SR billed two hours for it. I made the changes, restarted IIS and everything is working great. It took me maybe 10 minutes to do it with having no idea how, but ill probably be billing a bit more than that.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Makes me wonder if the CEO talked to the Sr tech at all. What does that tech even do all day save for break/mismanage things across the board?

(Apparently other than write large invoices, which explains so much)

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

FreshFeesh posted:

Makes me wonder if the CEO talked to the Sr tech at all. What does that tech even do all day save for break/mismanage things across the board?

(Apparently other than write large invoices, which explains so much)

give me spontaneous unassisted training in resolving obscure server issues

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Nativity In Black posted:

Is he actually using Outlook? Or is it Apple's default "Mail" program? I had someone here with an iMac that was running slow and it turned out Mail was taking up like 3GB of the 4GB of RAM. It seemed like it was trying to hold the entire mailbox in RAM or something. She had Entourage installed so I just told her to use that.

It's actually Outlook. We use Office 2011 on our Macs.

It's bizarrely crippled, too. Apparently Outlook 2011 straight up will not sync distribution lists with Exchange. If you want to create even a local distribution list, you have to actually dig into the options menu and unhide local items, or else the button will be grayed out and unavailable. You can't import ones from a Windows machine, either. It's insane. I have no idea who decided that not implementing this basic feature was acceptable.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

guppy posted:

It's bizarrely crippled, too. Apparently Outlook 2011 straight up will not sync distribution lists with Exchange. If you want to create even a local distribution list, you have to actually dig into the options menu and unhide local items, or else the button will be grayed out and unavailable. You can't import ones from a Windows machine, either. It's insane. I have no idea who decided that not implementing this basic feature was acceptable.

I wouldn't be surprised if Office 2011 "For MacOSX" is just software that's been whitelabeled. It's just so terrible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

guppy posted:

All apple devices act this way.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sickening posted:

All apple devices act this way.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket got re-opened

About a month ago a ticket was assigned to the Sr on the account to make it so that mail.company.ca worked in the new exchange environment because https://mail.company.ca/owa was too annoying for everyone to remember. Fair enough. He said he completed the work and closed the ticket.

I get an email today from the CEO saying it still isn't working.

Ive never done this before so I googled the solution to see if there was something unchecked or a setting missing. I checked the exchange server, nothing had been done to it and the SR billed two hours for it. I made the changes, restarted IIS and everything is working great. It took me maybe 10 minutes to do it with having no idea how, but ill probably be billing a bit more than that.

We are working with an outsourced software company which we pay a premium to rent space on their infrastructure to house a test environment (instead of having it here). The only problem is that they have never gotten their IT to figure out how to give our company outside access to it and their own employees don't use it because they think its too slow.

We continue to pay a heavy premium for this service despite not using it. I was told that "It might hurt our relationship with this company if we refuse to pay for that service.". Someone has to be getting some under the table money right?

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I spent some time dealing with Avaya yesterday. Avaya does the other thing I hate. Even choice point, every hold message, every option urges you to go to their support site and enter your ticket on the web, even going so far as to say that web tickets are handled faster. The fun thing is that Avaya's business is pretty much dependent on large call centers, so it's ironic that they are not wanting you to use the phone.

Holy poo poo, Avaya's phone system has to be one of the worst. Pretty much made me swear that I will never buy another Avaya system.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
So I submitted a ticket:

code:
Hey, I need you to add newcustomerDNSzone.local to the corporate DNS.
This is so the support guys can access the servers i'm about to build.  
Please see ticket foo, bar, baz, burp, and fart for previous tickets on how this
was done for previous customers
Problem is, IT support is now part of the larger company that borged us a few years ago, instead of the independant guys we used to have.

So, you can see where this is heading:

:clint: We don't manage those servers. :dance: does.
:eng101: You don't? Ok, let me ask :dance:. :dance:, do you manage the corporate DNS servers?
:dance: Nope. :clint: does, I dunno why he's telling you to bug me about it.
:eng101: okay, :clint: if I add these stub zones, you'll be fine with it?
:clint: My group doesn't run those.

so gently caress it, I need to get them added because newcustomer goes live on Friday. I have the rights to add the stuff with my regular logins, so i just do it. Can you guess what happens next?

:clint: Hey, :eng101: I have a major issue here. I show that you added newcustomerDNSzone.local to the corprate dns servers! Why didnt you submit a ticket? This is against procedure and I had to remove them.

:eng101: I thought you didn't run those servers? See your email from the other day here

:clint: I don't run them, but I also can't just let anyone add things to them.
I swear to god, working here is like a bad Seinfeld episode.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

ThinkFear posted:

Holy poo poo, Avaya's phone system has to be one of the worst. Pretty much made me swear that I will never buy another Avaya system.

And of course their web site is slow, keeps giving you "not found" errors that go away when you refresh, and their knowledge base articles would be hilarious except the at best waste your time and at worst actually cause more problems.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

It always continues to amaze me that BT and T-Mobile (UK) have such shite phone support for exactly these reasons.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dick Trauma posted:

Congratulations!

If anyone wanted to know which company has the worst voice-directed customer support I can tell you: It's Pitney Bowes. Our postage meter stopped connecting via the analog line so they sent us a replacement. This one won't even detect a carrier. I call their support number and it's voice directed. It's taken me a total of ten tries to get two successful calls, because when I say "technical support" I get every other possibility (Ex: "Did you say 'sales'?") and when it falls back to a voice/keypad combo and I hit 2 for tech support it just drops the call.

Ours stopped doing that a while ago. They blamed our switch to VOIP even though it was plugged into a POTS line that our fax machine runs off.

Tier 1 transferred me to the sales department by accident instead of Tier 2. :downs:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I used to manage an Avaya Definity system via one of those little dedicated terminals and the thing was rock solid. IP Office on the other hand... terrible piece of poo poo.

All the talk about laptop security jogged my memory to back when I worked at a software store. We had demo computers and they were secured with... MAZE PLATES! A steel plate with a maze groove cut into it would be glued to the desk, and then a plate with a couple of knobs on it would be glued to the bottom of the computer. You'd set the computer back down with the knobs in two entry holes and then move the thing around to get them locked into the maze. You were supposed to keep the maze guide so you'd be able to figure out how to get the PC back out of the maze plate but they were long gone by the time we needed them.

When the store closed we just brute forced the drat things and then had to peel the plates off so we could return the computers to HQ. What a royal pain in the rear end.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Dick Trauma posted:

Congratulations!

If anyone wanted to know which company has the worst voice-directed customer support I can tell you: It's Pitney Bowes. Our postage meter stopped connecting via the analog line so they sent us a replacement. This one won't even detect a carrier. I call their support number and it's voice directed. It's taken me a total of ten tries to get two successful calls, because when I say "technical support" I get every other possibility (Ex: "Did you say 'sales'?") and when it falls back to a voice/keypad combo and I hit 2 for tech support it just drops the call.

Still better than TalkTalk. You'll be on hold for a minimum of 40 minutes, then when you finally get to talk to someone they'll just hang up on you if your call isn't one of the three basic things that have a script for.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We were talking about extension cords in walls and stuff here is a picture of what I found today.

apparently a teacher thought it would be a good idea to run a cable in the ceiling, or maybe it was a janitor, who really knows but this isn't the least safe thing I've seen. Tons of with a power strip in a power strip in an extension cord to connect 6 student computers because they HAVE to have the computers on the left side of the room instead of the right side.

I thankfully don't support the school side that much and mostly do IT in the city buildings.

edit: yes I used paint to edit out some labels on the computer.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Lum posted:

It's called a throbber. I would think goons would be all over using that term.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dick Trauma posted:

I used to manage an Avaya Definity system via one of those little dedicated terminals and the thing was rock solid. IP Office on the other hand... terrible piece of poo poo.

We're switching to IP Office Server Edition soon from our terrible hosted provider.

Avaya was really the only solution for us because we're a mainly Mac house and Mitel has limited OS X support.

I foresee a whole ton of fun in my future supporting this.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

The old stuff was bulletproof. Good stability and most of the time if there was an issue it was hardware related and solved within 4 hours by dispatch/part replacement.

The new stuff is IP based, which means the stability is based on network, server hardware, and software quality. Especially if issue are software related, fixes can take weeks.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

EuphrosyneD posted:

Sorry Fuzzy, that really blows. I'd missed most of your ongoing saga of fail. 'Course you've got ammo to cover your rear end, right?

Absolutely. The funny thing is, technically we're not even supposed to be in charge of these laptops - we're the desktop guys, we gave them to the audio-visual team, and the audio-visual team chucklefucks refuse to look for them at all, even though we've tried to tell them it's their problem. But from our boss on down, we have the chain of command telling us to do this mondo stupid thing.

It is totally unacceptable for the laptops to be limited in motion in any way, because WHAT IF FUCKSTICK MCGEE WANTS TO MOVE THEM? Also? I'm not working around this stupidity. I am going to sit in the middle of this gibbering, mouthbreathing retardation and let upper management swing in the goddamn breeze.

We've been raiding the discard pile for replacements - we're losing Lenovo T520s, and we're replacing them with Dell 6410's. I don't even care at this point. I'd put netbooks in those rooms if we had any.

Fun fact: we also have a moratorium on purchasing new hardware, so I'm waiting with bated breath to see what happens when our discard pile also runs out!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's called a throbber. I would think goons would be all over using that term.

I thought it was called the pinwheel?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo that pisses me off: Dirty monitors.

I'm working on a Visio diagram and I move a group of images from here to there on my screen, except one little hyphen that stays behind.

I can't select it, whether I use the mouse to grab the area or control-A to select all. I've gone through all the layers of my document but it still sticks there.

After what seems like hours of frustration (two minutes ish) I realize it's a bit of cardboard fiber stuck to my screen.

:argh:

That kind of a day.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

pixaal posted:

We were talking about extension cords in walls and stuff here is a picture of what I found today.

apparently a teacher thought it would be a good idea to run a cable in the ceiling, or maybe it was a janitor, who really knows but this isn't the least safe thing I've seen. Tons of with a power strip in a power strip in an extension cord to connect 6 student computers because they HAVE to have the computers on the left side of the room instead of the right side.

I thankfully don't support the school side that much and mostly do IT in the city buildings.

edit: yes I used paint to edit out some labels on the computer.

I feel like the person at fault here probably went and visited some super trendy architect or engineering firm and saw how "modern" it looked with lines running up pillars to the ceiling or something. :v: "but now there's no tripping hazard!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

couldcareless posted:

I feel like the person at fault here probably went and visited some super trendy architect or engineering firm and saw how "modern" it looked with lines running up pillars to the ceiling or something. :v: "but now there's no tripping hazard!"

Power poles have to be the most horrid invention ever.

But I still can't decide which is worse in terms of esthetics: raceway or power poles.

• Locked thread