Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Dammit, reading this makes it sound fun. Always was, a bit. But I deleted it months ago. More than that, the cost is too high(4000 CP for Freeform? Possibly per character? Not even getting into the Archetype costs?) I can't afford a proper subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Alright so, everything not central to the "HIT MANS" rotation part of the build stripped away, THIS is my Earth/Force mans. Needed: Active Offense, Active Defense, a Heal maybe. Other stuff. Wat i do to hit mans.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bloodly posted:

Dammit, reading this makes it sound fun. Always was, a bit. But I deleted it months ago. More than that, the cost is too high(4000 CP for Freeform? Possibly per character? Not even getting into the Archetype costs?) I can't afford a proper subscription.

The way buying Freeform works is like this:

- Costs $40 in Zen
- Gives you a new character slot, marked 'Freeform'
- Freeform character has access to all powers, even if you don't own an archetype they're from
- If you want a second Freeform character, you pay another $40 for another slot

It's kind of lovely, but if you're only ever going to play one character it's probably the way to go.

That said, I think if you're interested in Freeform you're better off subscribing. Since you can make as many as you want that way.

Hell, the cost of like 7 Freeform Slots is basically the cost of a lifetime subscription.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Yeah, I kinda get the idea that the freeform slots aren't meant for everyone but rather for the small subset who wants one or maybe two freeform characters but doesn't want to pay for a subscription.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Lately I've been pondering a Single Blade/Darkness build - a quasi Katana/Super Reflexes, if you will.

I'm debating on Way of the Warrior vs Lightning Reflexes vs Quarry. Anyone have any particular thoughts on that subject? I was thinking something along these lines:

Powers:
Level 1: Reaper's Touch
Level 1: Reaper's Caress (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 6: Form of the Swordsman (Cut Where it Counts)
Level 8: Way of the Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Ebon Void (Voracious Darkness)
Level 14: Shadow Shroud (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
Level 20: Reaper's Embrace (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Masterful Dodge (Rank 2, Unfettered Strikes)
Level 26: Gas Pellets
Level 29: Summon Shadows (Devouring Darkness)
Level 32: Dragon Kick (Lashing Dragon Tail)
Level 35: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
Level 38: Rebirth

I'm a little concerned about Energy, as I couldn't figure out a decent Unlock to go with the above. Gas Pellets and Rebirth are basically fillers, and Dragon Kick could be swapped with Eye of the Storm, I suppose.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Moreau posted:

I'm a little concerned about Energy, as I couldn't figure out a decent Unlock to go with the above. Gas Pellets and Rebirth are basically fillers, and Dragon Kick could be swapped with Eye of the Storm, I suppose.

If you want an energy unlock, probably grab Molecular Self-Assembly from Gadgeteering. It triggers on any cooldown and you have a couple of pretty short ones there in BCR and Void Shift. Not sure what you'd drop to fit it in though.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

jjac posted:

Man, I miss that.

You can probably use anything you want as long as you have a reliable way to build Enrage stacks; I assume you're going for a brawler so Roomsweeper is probably your best bet. If you're willing to break concept a bit you can use Howl to maintain stacks between fights (you can also use Aggressor as a subtler alternative, but it's three times the recharge) and focusing on Constitution means your Enrage buff lasts longer as well. Superstats are STR, CON and INT for lower cooldown on Miniturization Drive and the forementioned Enrage maintainers. I don't know how far back you stopped playing, but the Might tree has its own offensive passive now if you want to get your clobberin' on.

I may have missed something since my knowledge isn't exactly up-to-date either, but I'm sure someone else can help you further with that.

FURRY DETECTED!!! FURRY DETECTED!

Edit: I still have my draysha gun (There was a bug that made people that huge in the picture jjac posted). The bug no longer works but the damage buff is pretty nice.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Exmond posted:

Edit: I still have my draysha gun (There was a bug that made people that huge in the picture jjac posted). The bug no longer works but the damage buff is pretty nice.

Male models still get crazy huge and buff. Not insane huge, just crazy huge. Far less noticable on female models, mind.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dinictus posted:

Male models still get crazy huge and buff. Not insane huge, just crazy huge. Far less noticable on female models, mind.

As huge as JJAC in the picture he posted? I drayshed one of the goons in a forum run and he didn't get super huge.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Well this kinda sucks. Turns out you only get the free retcon at 40 if you're Gold. Seems like kind of a dick move to me.

Oh well though, I'm thinking I'll probably just say screw it to trying to save these stupid heirlooms I have and start a new guy unless someone can tell me a way to transfer the gear without needing a Hideout.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Exmond posted:

As huge as JJAC in the picture he posted? I drayshed one of the goons in a forum run and he didn't get super huge.

Well, I did say crazy huge. Not insane huge.

Like, twice the size buff about from a Burst alert.

Sadly, such size increases are only possible with full Enrage + Growth (though there is a Devestator attack that you can spam on the fly without a target for Enrage stacks) and cycling the Supersizer on.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Oh well though, I'm thinking I'll probably just say screw it to trying to save these stupid heirlooms I have and start a new guy unless someone can tell me a way to transfer the gear without needing a Hideout.

I suppose you could co-ordinate trading items with a goon or friend and transferring them over if they're not bound. Unless it's bound to your account. Then you kinda sorta do want that hide-out.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, they're account bound so meh.

I'll have to think about it, the character is pretty badass and I can solo just about anything so it might be worth it to at least save up the Q for a Hideout.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The newer Telepathy powers, the ones related to Mind Break and Congress of Selves, are pretty interesting. I won't say it's as blatantly powerful as Infernal or Munitions but there are some really nice effects in sustained fights. I'll come back with a finished build when I'm done leveling that character but it's been getting steadily more interesting as I've gotten up to 30. Cool features:
- PVE Soloing, you can skip every non-critical fight due to Congress of Selves' large aggro stealth buff. This is a lot nicer than you might think, if you've already done pretty much all the content and just want to get to the candy.
- Congress of Selves has a feature that bypasses a large percentage of enemy resistance (mine says 30%). I'm not sure how this is calculated so it's hard to say exactly how powerful this is.
- The damage from the newer DOTs (Mental Leech, Shadow of Doubt and Mental Storm) is tied directly to crit chance and crit severity. While I am set up for Presence, it might be very worthwhile to go for Dex or Ego as primary instead.
- I went with Presence because I'm using the Manipulator toggle. I can say my holds definitely have an impact on team survivability in alerts, for squishy teams that have side aggro problems. I'm also pretty totally comfortable taking the alpha for the team because I can open with a AOE stun followed by a long duration AOE hold, and the team has plenty of time to get aggro off of me (whether or not they want to).
- Soloing is extremely easy, but then soloing is extremely easy for most builds. Skipping garbage fights is pretty great though.
- Mind Break is a pretty fair blast type attack by itself but does really amazing things if you let stacks of debuff accrue from the dots. Most particularly the damage and the AOE heal. Versus anything smaller than a Supervillain you will simply never have time to fire it though because your dots kill targets too quickly.

Master of the Mind is so situational it's pretty hard for me to even examine it - it has a duration of 10 seconds and I can't even get time to read the drat power descriptions so I have no idea how it works beyond its tooltip. It has a base cooldown of 2:15 so it's really annoying to test. I want to give it another chance but I'm really dubious.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
I'm looking at updating my Darkness DPS character, how does this build look?

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
I'm pretty sure Conviction heals for precisely gently caress all with no presence, might want to take something else in place of that.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

General Maximus posted:

I'm pretty sure Conviction heals for precisely gently caress all with no presence, might want to take something else in place of that.

It's a short cooldown instant heal, statting off your max health levels and giving you a bonus health buffer against a next hit. Even without Presence, it's a great quick heal with just a bit of skill cooldown reduction. And it's useful for triggering Molecular Self-Assembly.

Personally, I run Conviction on anything that is supposed to take a few hits.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Filthy Lucre posted:

I'm looking at updating my Darkness DPS character, how does this build look?

I honestly think that looks good since darkness ranged seems pretty straight forward.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FYI for those not watching the CO web page there is a double xp weekend thing coming up.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

OK GOONS Important question Dis is my Monkey now. Should I swap out FotM and Invulnerable for Enrage and Defiance or no? Once it's up and running Defiance would give higher % damage reduction, but it loses the flat value from Invulnerable. Enrage would probably be a higher DPS increase than Focus is, but I would really need Defiance to get the most out of it, and i'd need a knock, So I'd change out Burning Chi Fist for the slightly weaker Dragon Uppercut. Or I could keep things like they are now and hang out with 1 stack of Defiance and Enrage on top of Focus/Invuln and everything else.

What do I dooooooooooooooooo.

This would be the Rage/Defiant build. Also it has a Chainsaw in it.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 30, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Opinions vary but I've always felt Defiance is the best tank passive by a big margin. If you really want to be broken you can take Defiance and Inertial Dampening Field. Enrage is a great alternative though, take both, you probably have room. Note unlike most forms, you want to rank IDF (you'd also want the advantage on Enrage too).

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
As far as tanking goes, you're best off using Invuln and stacking Dodge and Avoidance with gear. It does more for you than either Defiance of Defiance + Inertial Dampening Field.

But given enough practice and gear, you can tank with anything (I'm tanking with WotW with great success so far).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Finished leveling my poison character - I was stubborn and resisted taking a def passive but I got near the end and realized I had room, so I took Lightning Reflexes and I'm very happy with how it came out. I'm not even going to retcon, although I don't pretend this is the perfect build:

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...7030mTN3T5c3BIR

Name: Mandrake

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1:
Level 6:
Level 9:
Level 12:
Level 15:
Level 18:
Level 21:

Powers:
Level 1: Infernal Bolts (Toxin Overload)
Level 1: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Phlebotomist)
Level 6: Pestilence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Epidemic (Rank 2, Outbreak)
Level 11: Aspect of the Infernal
Level 14: Supernatural Power
Level 17: Pounce
Level 20: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3, Voracious Darkness)
Level 23: Condemn (Redemption Denied)
Level 26: Defile (Rank 2, Plague Bearer)
Level 29: Resurgence (Evanescent Emergence)
Level 32: Rebirth
Level 35: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2)
Level 35: Ooze Tunneling

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Initiative (2/2)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So September 1st is the anniversary of the game. Along with the previously aforementioned XP buff it has a bunch of anniversary related drops and events. This includes a special repeating event that occurs in the city zone. It truly is the nerdiest, creepiest, most embarrassing thing i've seen in the game. Or any game, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRxpzOEd4NE

And they might be making it even gaudy and more awful this year, as evidenced by this picture. I can't wait to see what some spitefully awkward developer comes up with to trick people into dancing to a fictional holographic concert this time. :3:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 31, 2013

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
What are you talking about? That thing is great.

The goal is to make you want to nuke the entire city off the map, right?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Oh. Yeah. At times, it pretty much looks like that.

The returning running joke is that people wonder how she got her job as a musician in the first place.

And stupidly enough, they link to Sapphire's song on the CO news page, but not the more tolerable DJ Madbot gig. Speaking of which, after double EXP, I need to see if I can retrieve that music from the game files. I need something gamey enough to replace Caprice's poo poo with.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Wait, in the newspost about the anniversary, it says:

quote:

Destroid Destroyed (Defeat 12 Mega-Destroids in the invasion event -> Invasion Mega-Destroid AF)

So is the event from last year that was totally hosed up(deleveling 40s to lv1) fixed and active this year?

edit: Nevermind, missed the part about him attacking later this month when I skimmed the news post. Awesome. We'll be able to finally get those permanent Champion summon pets. They're really overpowered.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Decided to pop back from after a few years because of double EXP weekend, check out the new content.
Summed up impressions after last time I played was a few months after release

Took me all of two hours to do the new content. :v:
uuugggghhhhh the early game story stuff is still painfully "wacky". The Champions universe is a genuinely interesting place, guys! It's full of neat villains, characters, and storylines!
New crafting system is streamlined but seriously kind of rear end.
I miss all the flavor text from the loot.
Comic series was pretty awesome!
Everyone has a new voice actor in every new cutscene they appear in. Justiciar is especially blatant.
Good that they swapped around the level ranges of Millenium City and Canada/New Mexico.
HEAVY WEAPONS :aaa:
IT'S ACTUALLY VIABLE TO NOT BE A HYBRID BUILD WITH REGENERATION NOW :aaaaa:
The lockboxes are a massive kick in the dick, especially with how blatant a cashgrab they are. Still, papa's gotta make money off F2P somehow, I guess.
Having archetypes for free players is a very interesting CoH/V-esque idea oh wait except all the interesting ones are behind a cash wall anyway :(
Nemesis system still only has three personalities, :pseudo: :reject: and :newfap:
At least there's more stuff to do with them now! It's cool to see them pop up in more missions, having my Nemesis fight me in Whiteout was a really neat touch.
RP community is still mostly laughable, see a whole variety of bios that are five paragraphs of "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON ROLEPLAY AND THIS IS WHAT I WILL/WON'T DO" before one paragraph of text.
HOLY poo poo VIBORA BAY CAN WE GET MORE OF THAT PLEASE

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 1, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Just a heads up, but there's actually been way more than two hours of content since the last time you played.

It's just that someone on the developing team decided to pad it out by making it so that a great deal of recent content only runs at a certain time. See the alert system having a metric poo poo-ton of instances that only run one at a time as an example. Or the entire arc series of updates, which is them trying to do the GW2 limited time event thing in a game starved for content in the same way that STO used to be.

Also, you can use Whiteout as an acid test to see who has terrible taste in media. If they hate it, you can probably bet they'll like something terrible, like the VIPER series of missions. It's literally John Carpenter's The Thing with superheroes instead of scientists. That massive fleshy blob you can take a flamethrower too in one mission even lets out a scream straight out of the movie when it goes up in flames. It's a pretty rad series all in all.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 1, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Whiteout is pretty strong, but I still think the best content in the game, especially for repeat enjoyment, is Nemcon. It builds on the main reason anyone even tried this game, and does so in a pretty strong way. It's also got a lot of variety in repeat runs, since everyone's going to design a different Nemesis with different powers.

It would probably be a bit more fun if they fleshed out the Nemesis sets some for that, maybe give every separate set a power that requirs a bit of strategy. Something like the soul-sucking power the Elder Worm Alert boss gets. Although I guess that'd take away from the reason people do Nemcon so often.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Cleretic posted:

Whiteout is pretty strong, but I still think the best content in the game, especially for repeat enjoyment, is Nemcon. It builds on the main reason anyone even tried this game, and does so in a pretty strong way. It's also got a lot of variety in repeat runs, since everyone's going to design a different Nemesis with different powers.

It would probably be a bit more fun if they fleshed out the Nemesis sets some for that, maybe give every separate set a power that requirs a bit of strategy. Something like the soul-sucking power the Elder Worm Alert boss gets. Although I guess that'd take away from the reason people do Nemcon so often.

Sadly, it's been stated in the various dev news updates that the Nemesis System isn't due for immediate bug fixing or revisions still, if we have to go by Trailturtle. Which is a shame, since minion previews are still broken, weapon customisation won't be included, and newer AT's aren't included at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hey y'all storm tanks are fun!

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...B010ZyS2Lxr0cGI

Name: Five Day Forecast

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Squall
Level 6: Ascetic
Level 9: Acrobat
Level 12: Survival Training
Level 15: Field Ops Training
Level 18: Covert Ops Training
Level 21: Martial Training

Powers:
Level 1: Electric Bolt
Level 1: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
Level 6: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Ionic Reverberation
Level 11: Hurricane (Rank 2, Perfect Storm)
Level 14: Defiance
Level 17: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe)
Level 20: Concentration
Level 23: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Lightning Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)
Level 32: Mighty Leap
Level 35: Unbreakable
Level 38: Circle of Arcane Power (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
Constitution: Tough (3/3)
Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Fortify (2/2)
Sentry: Persevere (2/2)
Mastery: Sentry Mastery (1/1)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Goons teamed last night, did Serpent Lantern on Elite difficulty, and it was awesome! We herded stuff:

ps then we died

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Is anyone having issues with the Cryptic Game Launcher? ever since yesterday I haven't been able to get it to launch properly. I open it in steam, pops up in the task bar, but it won't show up even when I try to bring it up.

Trying to start the game with the actual client is a no go, either. It lets me try to connect, then it times out and fails.

VVV Already tried that, still have this problem.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 6, 2013

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Verifying your game cache usually solves it. It's in the properties of the game under your steam games.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Welp, Night Warrior and Gas Pellets together are busted as poo poo.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Welp, Night Warrior and Gas Pellets together are busted as poo poo.

See also: Ricochet Throw, anything involving Night Warrior.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
It used to be worse

In addition to that horribly broken bug, Gas Pellets used to be able to crit. So not only would you be consistently damaging enemies within a 30 foot area in front of you, but you'd be hitting them for ticks of around 1200 damage per second, without any extra energy cost. Then there's strafing run and its ability to instantaneously put out a damage of around 16000 damage on even a middle-quality gear character.

Yeah, the Nighthawk moves are kind of hosed up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

See also: Ricochet Throw, anything involving Night Warrior.

No, those are just awesome/overpowered - Gas Pellets does not break stealth and does not itself initiate combat (so you get to fly fast) even though stuff dies and you get full xp and drops. When stuff can see you through your stealth (harder difficulty mainly) then you can get attacked but otherwise nope, stuff just gets gassed and dies.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Gas pellets certainly isn't the only one. Aforementioned Strafing Run attack is another heinous culprit of this same mechanics exploit. There's also mines, sigils, zombies, and pets in general you can call up and have attack enemies without targets noticing you and breaking stealth. In fact, you can even combine this with a self-forcefield/damage absorb effect to even stop damage from uncovering you. If you've got a way to build energy without hitting other targets and just keep stealth on at all times, you can become an invisible damage support unit.

Of course, the novelty of this phenomenon wears off when you enter an alert and enemies can just see through your stealth by default. But at least the shielding aspect should give you a nice guaranteed shot of like 40,000 damage instantaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh, I guess I hadn't thought of some of those others (particularly sigils). Huh, I guess that's "working as intended".