Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

steinrokkan posted:

Historically Slovakia was part of Hungary, together with some Southern Slavic regions. The surname got widespread due to internal migration and colonization, during which numerous Slovaks left for "Lower Countries" of Hungary and at the same time Southern nationalities (particularly Serbs) and people of Roma descent settled in Slovakia - and brought the surname "Croat" with them, of course written in the official Hungarian language (it's to be noted that Hungarian bureaucracy assigned migrants new surnames, generally according to place of descent, so even people who originally had other surnames became Horvaths).

Wouldn't it make more sense that most of the southern Slavs who migrated within the Austro-Hungarian empire were Croatians? Especially considering Croatia was a land of the Crown of Saint Stephen (Archiregnum Hungaricum) and was in a dynastic union with Hungary since 1102. There is debate whether separated institutions of statehood were maintained and what exactly was the relationship between the Hungarian and Croatian crown but in the 1868 Hungarian-Croatian Settlement the territory was defined "a state union of Kingdom of Hungary and Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia." Serbs settled mostly in southern Hungary as part of the Military Krajina while the Serbian state remained politically and territorially in the Ottoman empire.

It seems more logical and it would explain Horváth (Croat) better. I am in no way an authority in Slovak history, however, so if I am wrong please correct me. :)

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Pitch posted:

They're old as hell patronymics that are now family names. Iceland still uses the father's personal name for the child's surname.

With either -son or -dottir (daughter) added on. Although you can also choose to go with the first name of the mother + son/dottir.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SaltyJesus posted:

It seems more logical and it would explain Horváth (Croat) better. I am in no way an authority in Slovak history, however, so if I am wrong please correct me. :)

Of course some of them were actual Croats. But 1) Their original name was not Horvath, it was chosen for them by the state. 2) Very large numbers of Serbs and Roma did indeed get the name Horvath following their resettlement, to the point that it even today carries the connotation of the person with this name being seen as of the Roma descent.

After all, Croatia wasn't ethnically homogenous, and precise ethnic boundaries and distinctions probably weren't valued by bureaucrats as much as administrative expediency.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

steinrokkan posted:

After all, Croatia wasn't ethnically homogenous, and precise ethnic boundaries and distinctions probably weren't valued by bureaucrats as much as administrative expediency.

Truth, I considered this but posted anyway because I wanted to see your reply.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I work in administration and can vouch for the omnipresence of the Peeters surname. I also have a Walloon colleague whose surname happens to be Martin.

I'm a bit confused at the American map though, I thought 'Miller' was also a common British surname instead of being exclusively German. As in, someone whose distant patrilineal ancestor was a miller.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

A bit ago, but the mnemonic my social studies teacher taught me: say laaaatitude and looooongitude incredibly exaggeratedly.

Your lips form a horizontal line-like shape for latitude and a vertical one for longitude.

She predicted that the day of the test that had a question on coordinate systems, practically everybody in the class would be mouthing the words to themselves.

And what do you know! Also, I credit her with me remembering the terminology to this very day.

Latitude Flatitude - all your mnemonics are now worthless poo poo.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Real hurthling! posted:

Latitude Flatitude - all your mnemonics are now worthless poo poo.
Longitude...schlongitude?

:cripes:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Also Luxembourg isn't included which makes me super curious about what's the most common name there.

It's "Schmit". Source. That site is pretty impressive (if you can read German).

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I work in administration and can vouch for the omnipresence of the Peeters surname. I also have a Walloon colleague whose surname happens to be Martin.

I'm a bit confused at the American map though, I thought 'Miller' was also a common British surname instead of being exclusively German. As in, someone whose distant patrilineal ancestor was a miller.

A lot of surnames were anglicized, either at point of immigration or sometime later. So Mueller becomes Miller and Schmidt becomes Smith.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

You what's fun? Searching "Greater (country name)" in GIS and seeing what turns up:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

You what's fun? Searching "Greater (country name)" in GIS and seeing what turns up:

Most "greater Turkey" maps I've seen push towards central Asia to integrate a country with the other Turkic peoples.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

quote:

Here is a map of Greater India, when Ghandi gives India independence to India by 1923, rather than 1947. At this moment of time, India becomes an empire and begins its expansion, starting with Afghanistan, one of the closest islamic states. Under the reign of a wise and religious oligarchy, the people of India then go eastward towards the Dutch colonies in the Pacific, Thailand, and French Indochina. Within the empire, English and Hindi have both become the two official languages of India. By the 1950's, Arabia and Ethiopia are conquered and thus East Africa is rename "New India". In 1965, two years after the Pakistani Rebellion of 1963, India conquers Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, and iraq in an attempt to create technology far beyond that of the USA's and the Soviet Union's, escalating the Cold War. By 2003, After having new conquests within Latin America , the Pacific, and Africa, India becomes the world's largest empire and forms an alliance with the USA, since the american helped Indian Forces take over Hong Kong.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
I'll always love the countries that are spared conquest in these maps, if you're gonna go nuts why not go all the way? At least make the borders pretty when you go total nationalist.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peruser posted:

I'll always love the countries that are spared conquest in these maps, if you're gonna go nuts why not go all the way? At least make the borders pretty when you go total nationalist.

Nobody messes with Tanzania. There are limits, even in alternate history scenarios.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ah yes, America helps expansionist India kick the British out of Honk Kong, of course!

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

India being more technologically advanced than the US or USSR in the 1960's was also a nice touch.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
Pretty borders are very important.

Here is a famous 1959 map by anthropologist George Murdock, showing ethnic groups in Africa, and the way that they do not correspond to national boundaries. There are problems with the actual data, of course, but it's still interesting.

A blog entry by Pete Larson has some more related images (trying to relate prevalence of conflict to national-ethnic division) and higher-resolution versions.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The Many Meanings of "Guinea"

This link gives a short historical explanation why Wikipedia's disambiguation page for Guinea lists 4 different countries and 9 former European colonies. (Plus some other things.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SaltyJesus posted:

The Many Meanings of "Guinea"

This link gives a short historical explanation why Wikipedia's disambiguation page for Guinea lists 4 different countries and 9 former European colonies. (Plus some other things.)

Huh. This is debated, but apparently Guinea started as a racial slur against Africans but eventually became applied to Italian-Americans who were darker-skinned than what was "acceptable."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dr. Tough posted:

India being more technologically advanced than the US or USSR in the 1960's was also a nice touch.

But they're led by a wise and religious oligarchy! How could they not be?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

What's hilarious about it is that the dude that made it up isn't even an Indian nationalist as far as I can tell. He also has a thing where the Middle East unites into a Third Roman Empire and conquers Europe and America and a thing where Texas becomes Nazis or something.

edit: look and despair at your leisure http://generalhelghast.deviantart.com/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AlexG posted:

Pretty borders are very important.

Here is a famous 1959 map by anthropologist George Murdock, showing ethnic groups in Africa, and the way that they do not correspond to national boundaries. There are problems with the actual data, of course, but it's still interesting.

A blog entry by Pete Larson has some more related images (trying to relate prevalence of conflict to national-ethnic division) and higher-resolution versions.

That reminds me of maps of the Holy Roman Empire:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

Longitude...schlongitude?

:cripes:

:golfclap:

esquilax posted:

Phlegmish posted:

A lot of surnames were anglicized, either at point of immigration or sometime later. So Mueller becomes Miller and Schmidt becomes Smith.

According to that map there are English Millers in the US too, though the German Miller is apparently much more common.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Falukorv posted:

For Sweden, Andersson has been since last year i think surpassed by Johansson as the most common surname.

Where are the Johanssons coming from? Or what's happening to the Anderssons? :ninja:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Hey well at least they got Rwanda right.

PittTheElder posted:

drat, really? I kinda want that now.

Nat Geo is a pretty good source of maps in general; you'll get a few double-sided poster sized ones every year. They come folded up in magazines though, if you're bothered by that sort of thing, although most of the ones I have hanging up have been there so long that they're all flat now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think my favourite part of that India map is the random colonization of Honduras, El Savador, Nicaragua and literally nothing else in the Americas at all.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Randandal posted:

Where are the Johanssons coming from? Or what's happening to the Anderssons? :ninja:
I'm guessing it's as simple as more little Johanssons than Anderssons being born, as well as more people taking the name Johansson in marriage.

Or maybe the Anderssons are just dying in greater numbers :tinfoil:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Randandal posted:

Johan has been spending a suspiciously large amount of time around Anders' wife.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Randandal posted:

Both names are in decline, but last year Andersson dropped a little bit more than Johansson. As of now it's pretty even. But for 60 straight years Johansson was the most common surname, until 2011/2012 Andersson became the most common, and now it's back to Johansson being the most common name.

As of the latest statistics, 250910 people have the surname Johansson, and 250446 people are Andersson's.

Why it shifts has to do partly with in which regions the names are most common. Some areas where one name is more popular than the other might experience lower birth figures.
For example Mid-southern Sweden (Götaland excluding Skåne) and Northern Sweden have more Johanssons, where alot of municipilaties with declining birthrates lie. In Stockholm for example, with higher birthrates, Andersson is more common, and that enabled Andersson to get a leg up after 60 years of Johansson domination.

And why Johansson and Andersson are so drat common is simple, as until the late 19th century the majority of Swedens population were rural, where patrionymic names were the norm, and the most common first names were Johan and Anders.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 28, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Maps that show the ethnoreligous dvision, population density, land usage, and economic activity in Syria.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randandal posted:

Maybe it's the same with Sweden as with Finland that whatever families happened to join crazy (on a Nordic scale; perfectly sane by, say, American standards) religious groups a century or more ago have the most popular names and the Johanssons just got their second loving wind (also Johanssons marrying more I guess)? (Crazy religious types tend to not use condoms is the point.)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Koramei posted:

Hey well at least they got Rwanda right.
The hilarious part is that they went: 'well, they're all in the same ethnic group? Can't have that. We'll just make some up, then.'

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

R. Mute posted:

The hilarious part is that they went: 'well, they're all in the same ethnic group? Can't have that. We'll just make some up, then.'

Basic imperialist doctrine! Also it's not necessarily settled that it was entirely colonialist action, to my knowledge. Has something new come out in the last [since whenever forums user GreyjoyBastard bothered to update his memory]?

Which is to say, all I recall is that it was a prominent / the most probable theory for the whole Bantu-related sub-ethnicity thing.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Here are some politically-loaded maps that show America's racial segregation. Haven't seen it posted here yet.

http://www.wired.com/design/2013/08/how-segregated-is-your-city-this-eye-opening-map-shows-you/

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Price Check posted:

Here are some politically-loaded maps that show America's racial segregation. Haven't seen it posted here yet.

http://www.wired.com/design/2013/08/how-segregated-is-your-city-this-eye-opening-map-shows-you/

That's because it has its own thread.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe it's the same with Sweden as with Finland that whatever families happened to join crazy (on a Nordic scale; perfectly sane by, say, American standards) religious groups a century or more ago have the most popular names and the Johanssons just got their second loving wind (also Johanssons marrying more I guess)? (Crazy religious types tend to not use condoms is the point.)

I wouldn't read too far into it. Things like this can change due entirely to random processes.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Basic imperialist doctrine! Also it's not necessarily settled that it was entirely colonialist action, to my knowledge. Has something new come out in the last [since whenever forums user GreyjoyBastard bothered to update his memory]?

Which is to say, all I recall is that it was a prominent / the most probable theory for the whole Bantu-related sub-ethnicity thing.
I'm not sure. I basically always heard that it was a class divide turned into an ethnic divide thanks to Belgo-German pseudoscience.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

HookShot posted:

I think my favourite part of that India map is the random colonization of Honduras, El Savador, Nicaragua and literally nothing else in the Americas at all.

That was the first thing I noticed and I thought that the person who made the map probably thought "didn't some Indians go to the Carribean and West Indies?! They must have gone to El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua!" This is, of course, not where those people from India went.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

R. Mute posted:

I'm not sure. I basically always heard that it was a class divide turned into an ethnic divide thanks to Belgo-German pseudoscience.

I do remember reading that the Hutus and Tutsis were originally the same ethnic group but one group herded while the other farmed, and that eventually there existed a small distinction that the colonizers took and exploited. Am I off on this? Did anyone else read this? I think it may have been a War Nerd column, and he tends to get over his head when he writes about Africa.

E: Yeah it was a War Nerd article, which is behind a paywall here. The gist of it was that the Tutsis were the cattle herders who had come down from the lakes in the 1400's and were better fighters but couldn't overwhelm the numerically superior (because of agriculture) Hutus. His take was that Rwanda was one more iteration of the war between the two and that the UN stepping in has prolonged the misery. I don't where he's getting his research from though.

Map:

menino fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GreenCard78 posted:

That was the first thing I noticed and I thought that the person who made the map probably thought "didn't some Indians go to the Carribean and West Indies?! They must have gone to El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua!" This is, of course, not where those people from India went.

Many went to Trinidad i think