Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Our game went to a weird place last night. The thief found some mushrooms that turn the lizard people into make-out freaks, so later on when he ended up in a pit full of snakes, he turned it into a big creepy snake orgy.

Our helpful druid showed up and rolled double ones (snake eyes!) on his shapeshift. So, he turned into a snake and jumped into the writhing, scaly ball. When he finally recovered, he walked out of the dungeon and had a cigarette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Our game went to a weird place last night. The thief found some mushrooms that turn the lizard people into make-out freaks, so later on when he ended up in a pit full of snakes, he turned it into a big creepy snake orgy.

Our helpful druid showed up and rolled double ones (snake eyes!) on his shapeshift. So, he turned into a snake and jumped into the writhing, scaly ball. When he finally recovered, he walked out of the dungeon and had a cigarette.

This is startling, yet awesome.

So, recently, there was a previously undiscovered mammal discovered in a "cloud forest," in South America. Cloud forests are forests that have persistent fog or cloud cover, typically in their canopy...

But it made me think of Inverse world with all it's cloud seas and such, and made me kind of want cloud forests of a different sort (maybe they're already there, I don't know!). Areas of a cloud sea where trees seem to be rooted into the cloud (even non-solid ones) and the creatures that live in them are light quick moving things. Of course, the inspiration for such a creature should come from the olingo and olinguito that inspired me. So here is a very silly creature.

Cloudinguito (that is a terrible portmanteau)
d8 damage, 10HP 0 Armor
Tags: Stealthy, cautious, solitary, tiny, hand
Cloudinguitos have a short bushy tail that they use to propel them through the clouds. They tend to hide, even when fighting, but seek to force intruders away from their nest and their young.
Instinct: To avoid detection, or if nesting and discovered, deter intruders
- Disappear into the clouds or trees to strike from another direction
- Strike at an intruder to draw their attention, rather than to deal damage.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
The idea of trees anchored in a swampy cloud sounds really cool. Gliding Alligators and floating gas gorillas could make quite a strange setting! I can't picture a cloudinguito as anything but this though:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Apologies if this is a little bit off-topic, but I bought the print+PDF bundle of Dungeon World from Indie Press Revolution this morning and can't for the life of me figure out how/where to download the PDF so I can start reading.

I'm probably just really dense and can't find the link, but has anyone else run into this?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

WhiteHowler posted:

Apologies if this is a little bit off-topic, but I bought the print+PDF bundle of Dungeon World from Indie Press Revolution this morning and can't for the life of me figure out how/where to download the PDF so I can start reading.

I'm probably just really dense and can't find the link, but has anyone else run into this?

I know how you feel, I was just as confused when I bought my copy of DW too. You should receive an email in 24 hours that has a link to download the pdf. If you do not receive it in 24 hours, I'd suggest emailing them about it. It will be a link, at least for me it was, to a drop box account with your name on it.

I'm not entirely why indie press revolution using this method of distribution. I imagine that drivethrurpg's method might be too bandwidth and server intensive, but the time between purchase and getting the email is a bit too long. Especially since, to my knowledge, there is no explanation that this is how they distribute titles.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
What exactly are you supposed to do when someone fails a shapeshift roll? They still get one hold which is fail-proof. At what point do we step in to make our adjustments?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Druid hold isn't 'fail-proof', it just always happens. Just because you do a thing as a bear doesn't mean that action is entirely removed from any and all consequence.

Also, 6- on Shapeshift has GM conditions attached.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
IW update! This one talks about Grim World, and also Death Moves.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm thinking of writing up some adventures for DW, are there any good free ones I can peak at to get an idea of what other people are doing on that end?

I'm going to second looking at the bonus adventures on the DW site.

http://www.dungeon-world.com/category/bonus/adventures/

Of particular note are the dungeon starters; everything but the Slave Pits. You should try writing one of these first. It's a very handy format, just what someone else needs to run the situation you came up and nothing more. The Impressions give the sense of the place and some themes to work into descriptions the GM has to come up with. The Questions give the reader hooks to adapt to their own game and convey a lot of the plot in the "what the hell is going on ?" sense. The rest of it is what makes this place special; dungeon moves, monsters, NPCs and so forth. I love this format, it's the Bauhaus of adventure design.

edit. gnome7, that's a huge chunk of work you just took on, godspeed.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 27, 2013

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sentrygun posted:

Druid hold isn't 'fail-proof', it just always happens. Just because you do a thing as a bear doesn't mean that action is entirely removed from any and all consequence.

Also, 6- on Shapeshift has GM conditions attached.

Ah, got it. So then this leads me to a followup. When a Druid uses a hold move, how much say do we have in how that plays out? Do we treat it like a 7-9 or just let them describe the action as it happens?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I guess it depends on the group, but I'd say let them describe how they do their cool thing (because that's what makes playing Dungeon World fun), and then plug that cool thing into the scene. They totally wrecked straight through that pillar and smashed into the priest casting the end the world spell, but that was the primary support for the building and now everything's crumbling down. What do you do?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I like the "yes you turn into a bear, but it's not Smokey sized, it's more...Boo Boo sized". Or pull an Animorphs "you do that thing you said, but then you spend a few minutes wrestling with the animal's natural instincts"

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

You can't just go into the orders section of your account and download it? Last time I placed an order, after payment went through PayPal I just followed the link back to IPR and I was right on the page where I could download the file.

If you're having it shipped internationally (like I did), you'll have to wait for it to be processed manually and you'll receive the link to a dropbox folder (as has already been mentioned). I'm not sure if this is a Dungeon World thing, but I've had to do this when having things mailed out from them because they manually calculate international shipping costs and the order bypasses the website. All other PDF-only purchases have been available as above.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

All this talk about death moves made me take notice when I saw that The Regiment 2.5 has them, and that it was released in February.

The Regiment: The Sergeant posted:

Frosty til the end: When you die, you have sudden insight into the battle. ask the GM the best way for your soldiers to get out of here alive. While trying to get out, everyone gets +1grit and 1-tough.

http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/search/label/regiment

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Penguin Patrol posted:

Ah, got it. So then this leads me to a followup. When a Druid uses a hold move, how much say do we have in how that plays out? Do we treat it like a 7-9 or just let them describe the action as it happens?

There's an entire FAQ about Shapeshift in the OP which answers your questions.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
With all love and respect to Sage LaTorra, but due to all of his work on Dungeon World, including Inverse World and his recent involvement in Grim World, gnome is quickly becoming the Dungeon World Guy to me.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

mllaneza posted:

All this talk about death moves made me take notice when I saw that The Regiment 2.5 has them, and that it was released in February.

http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/search/label/regiment

Yeah I mentioned this last week, the regiment did it well but not AS well.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, I saw that. I just needed some of the other stuff put into different terms I guess, just in order to get it to click, but I think I'm all good now. Thanks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much detail is too much detail when making a Dungeon World setting?

I admit, this is somewhat painful for me. I tend to be Mr. Detailed Setting, a big ol' list of gods and a page-long dissertation on the nature of magic and the difference between what a wizard does and what a sorcerer and druid and ranger and everyone else does, and recent history and all that kind of thing. But really, that seems like missing the point for Dungeon World.

But how far is too far? As a player, would you feel stifled if a setting had basic guidelines for what magic "is" in the setting? Or a list of commonly-worshiped gods (with the caveat that you can always make up a new one) and a note that nobody knows for sure if the gods are real? A general tech level statement, even if it's just an example of "here's how airship engines work in this setting, you can extrapolate from here for other tech?"

Or am I missing the point if we don't just go in with a blank slate?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

I admit, this is somewhat painful for me. I tend to be Mr. Detailed Setting, a big ol' list of gods and a page-long dissertation on the nature of magic and the difference between what a wizard does and what a sorcerer and druid and ranger and everyone else does, and recent history and all that kind of thing. But really, that seems like missing the point for Dungeon World.

But how far is too far? As a player, would you feel stifled if a setting had basic guidelines for what magic "is" in the setting? Or a list of commonly-worshiped gods (with the caveat that you can always make up a new one) and a note that nobody knows for sure if the gods are real? A general tech level statement, even if it's just an example of "here's how airship engines work in this setting, you can extrapolate from here for other tech?"

Or am I missing the point if we don't just go in with a blank slate?

A lot of it is gonna hinge on what your players want to do. Some groups love asking questions and adding their own ideas to a setting, others prefer to explore a concept that's already laid out.

I've found a good way to have a happy medium is to do all that setting work that you're fond of, but don't present it to your players up front. Weave bits of it into your descriptions as you go, give the information as its relevant. That way, if your players come up with something cool that they want to use, they won't feel like they're overriding some aspect of the world that was already "set".

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Yeah, you're fine to have bits of background detail in place that you want to use, but you should always be prepared to scrap those if they become inconvenient or if the players come up with something cooler. Else, why are you keeping that bit of the setting? One of the strengths of DW is that players are very likely to get the kind of game they want to play, through the world they build and the kind of situations they create. Often that includes all of your plans being totally scuppered, but that's fine because it's more fun that way.

I love going around and asking the Mage "Is magic rare around these parts? Are there many other Mages?" or the Paladin "Tell me about the god you follow. What are their precepts? Is this a dominant religion, or a heretical one?" etc.

Always ask questions. A good prep for a first session of DW is to think of a hook and some questions to flesh that out. For example, "The players are on the run from the evil empire" "The players are time-travelling bounty hunters". Pretty much all the world-building is generally left up to the players, with questions like "What makes the empire so evil?" and "Why do they want you so badly?", or "How does time-travel work" and "Who are you chasing and why?". Most of your own worldbuilding will come when you plan that second session, based off of what happened in the first session and all the things the players said.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

Whenever a setting element contradicts a cool suggestion made by a player, or whenever having a setting gets in the way of you making cool things up as consequences for failed/partial rolls, or whenever your players can't remember a setting elements; that's when you've reached too much detail.

Harrow posted:

This is all stuff that the players should be coming up with, or at the very least that you and the players should be coming up with together. Ask questions, don't just dictate setting elements - you can ask leading questions ("why can airships only travel short distances?") if you want to steer their answers in a specific direction, but always ask questions.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
I think having a crapload of pre-made setting detail can be fine as long as you're not a Nazi about it, constantly telling your players "NO IT'S NOT LIKE THAT IN MIDDLE OERTH, READ THE PAMPHLET I PRINTED"

But that really goes for any RPG.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
There's nothing wrong with sketching out a lot about a setting or dictating the answer to a few of those questions. Figure out where you want there to be facts and where you want there to be blanks to be filled by asking your players. Sometimes the players will look to you to answer a question they have or go "I dunno" and have no ideas if you turn it around on them, too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

If you're gonna bother coming up with campaign details like that, you should make sure everyone who's playing is aware of and okay with them. At the very least, if someone has a cool idea about something that might contradict what you have, you should be willing to come up with a reason or allow them to come up with a reason as to why it's the exception.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jivjov posted:

I've found a good way to have a happy medium is to do all that setting work that you're fond of, but don't present it to your players up front. Weave bits of it into your descriptions as you go, give the information as its relevant. That way, if your players come up with something cool that they want to use, they won't feel like they're overriding some aspect of the world that was already "set".

Yeah, I figured I should be fully prepared to throw things away if my players came up with a better idea.

Boing posted:

Always ask questions. A good prep for a first session of DW is to think of a hook and some questions to flesh that out. For example, "The players are on the run from the evil empire" "The players are time-travelling bounty hunters". Pretty much all the world-building is generally left up to the players, with questions like "What makes the empire so evil?" and "Why do they want you so badly?", or "How does time-travel work" and "Who are you chasing and why?". Most of your own worldbuilding will come when you plan that second session, based off of what happened in the first session and all the things the players said.

The "hook" example makes a lot of sense to me. It probably will be more fun for me to react to what the players bring to the table than to just impose a big ol' Word document on them like I used to do with Pathfinder.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is all stuff that the players should be coming up with, or at the very least that you and the players should be coming up with together. Ask questions, don't just dictate setting elements - you can ask leading questions ("why can airships only travel short distances?") if you want to steer their answers in a specific direction, but always ask questions.

What would you suggest is a good balance for "GM describing things" vs. "players describing things?" The first time they run into goblins, should I be prepared to give a one-line description of what they look like, or should I look at my players and ask, "What do the goblins look like?"

As soon as I'm past the growing pains with Dungeon World I think this will be very freeing for me.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.
Brainstorming sessions are a lot of fun to figure out in what sort of world your group will be adventuring. That said, nailing down some things is okay, but I'd still run them by the group.

When I GM, I like to nail down some things, then delegate most of the details to the players. I find it to be more fun, less work and the result is better than one person would have made on their own.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

What would you suggest is a good balance for "GM describing things" vs. "players describing things?" The first time they run into goblins, should I be prepared to give a one-line description of what they look like, or should I look at my players and ask, "What do the goblins look like?"

There's little to no point in you describing goblins since everyone knows what goblins are like. By contrast, asking your players to describe goblins might lead to finding out something interesting about the setting.

That's the key point: ask questions when having a player-sourced answer would make things more interesting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's little to no point in you describing goblins since everyone knows what goblins are like. By contrast, asking your players to describe goblins might lead to finding out something interesting about the setting.

That's the key point: ask questions when having a player-sourced answer would make things more interesting.

Y'know, that's a really good point. Something like, "Character A, you're from the city, but everyone knows what goblins look like. How can you tell these are goblins?"

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

The Supreme Court posted:

The idea of trees anchored in a swampy cloud sounds really cool. Gliding Alligators and floating gas gorillas could make quite a strange setting! I can't picture a cloudinguito as anything but this though:

Oh, man, hyalopterous lemures have to be there, but they aren't quiiiite the same thing in my brain space.

I've always loved those little critter.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So, I'm running some more one-shot sessions, and I'm wondering how you guys come up with monster stats on the fly. Moves and such I'm fine with, but how do you balance health and damage?

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.
Does anyone know who wrote The Elf playbook?

Not the one Okasvi wrote, but the one with the following starting moves:

quote:

Elder Arts
When you draw upon the elven power that humans sometimes call magic, roll+Wis. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 anyway, but you'll have to pay a price later; the DM will tell you what. Either way, you cannot use this move again until after you have Made Camp. Spend your hold one-for-one to do the following:
• Immediately know what is magical in nature within your immediate surroundings
• Become invisible so long as you are in a natural environment; this persists until you attack or dismiss the effect.
• Contact a spirit of nature, which will respect your summons long enough to answer one question you ask to the best of its ability.
• Form a telepathic bond with one creature you touch, skin to skin, allowing you both to speak without words over any distance. This lasts until you dismiss it; you can only have one such bond active at a time.

Listen to the Forest
When you Discern Realities while surrounded by pristine wilderness, you may roll+Wis. The answers to your questions come from voices on the wind, the whisper of the leaves, and so on.

Touch the World Lightly
You can walk on top of snow, across thin tree branches or along precarious ledges, or stand on held weapons, all without Defying Danger.

Wise Soul
When you speak the old wisdom of the elves to those you Parley with, take +1.

Thanks

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
RulebookHeavily wrote it, and I did the layout on it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I'd like a hand finalising the Brute! It's 99% ready to go (I have a cover and everything!), but I've got horrible indecision and can't decide which moves to make the core. I've got 2 sorted, and a choice:

Core 2:

quote:

Armed and Dangerous: when you swing an enemy around, treat them as a weapon with the awkward, reach and forceful tags.

Behemoth: when you charge into a group of enemies roll 2d6 +Str. On a 10+ take 3 hold, on a 7-9 take 1. Spend hold to:
* scatter a few enemies
* take half damage from an attack
* pick up an enemy

Options for the final core skill(s):

quote:

Leap: when you perform a titanic jump, roll 2d6 +Str. On a 10+ you land where you were aiming. If you land on someone they absorb your fall, deal damage! On a 7-9 something has gone wrong; you land somewhere unintended.

Smash: When you break your way straight through an obstacle, roll 2d6 +Str. On a 10+ pick two, on a 7-9 pick one:
* it takes barely any time to break through
* you don't break anything structurally important
* you send debris flying out as you exit
* you can use part of the broken obstacle as a weapon with the messy and forceful tags.

Hurl: When you throw something (or someone!) roll 2d6+ Str. On a 10+ it hits where you intended, causing class damage to anything it crashes into. On a 7-9 something has gone wrong! Choose one:
* your projectile goes off course
* you're left vulnerable while throwing or put in a spot
* you strain a muscle and are left weak (-1 Str)

Strong Constitution: when you challenge someone to a drinking contest, roll 2d6 +Con. On a 10+ they let a secret slip. On a 7-9, so do you!

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

TheLawinator posted:

So, I'm running some more one-shot sessions, and I'm wondering how you guys come up with monster stats on the fly. Moves and such I'm fine with, but how do you balance health and damage?

If I feel the need to use hit points, I usually give mooks 4 hit points, leaders 8, and tough dudes 12. Sometimes I use a two hit rule: it takes two damage to subdue an enemy unless the player does something in the fiction that would clearly kill them. As for damage, I start with a d6 and move up as appropriate or add a static modifier. I usually have three or four players, so I have a rough idea of what kind of armor/damage the players have without asking, so I can tune the fights to that.

Sometimes I prepare monster blocks in advance, taking expressions, health, and armor from another monster and using that. If you wanted to be really prepared, you could make a print a table with a dozen monsters of increasing difficulty and just record the math bits so you can work with numbers more accurately on the fly: "Oh, these are tougher than orcs, but not quite ogres, so its gonna be 9 HP, 1 Armor, 1d4+1d6 damage."

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
I have a druid question, too. Probably a silly one. If a player uses a hold point to use an ability, say poison someone as a snake. Does the druid still have to use Hack and Slash to make sure the attack goes through? Or does using the hold point bypass that?

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Huckabee Sting posted:

I have a druid question, too. Probably a silly one. If a player uses a hold point to use an ability, say poison someone as a snake. Does the druid still have to use Hack and Slash to make sure the attack goes through? Or does using the hold point bypass that?

The druid simply spends 1 hold and poisons a foe assuming that the druid can do so in the fiction. For example, he could not poison someone who is standing on a balcony shooting arrows unless he slithers up there. Whether slithering up to the balcony will require a defy danger again depends on the fiction and whether or not you feel there is danger in doing so. Simmilarly, you would probably fail to poison something that does not have flesh, like a stone golem or living shadow. Someone with heavy armor or a reach weapon would require a defy danger in one of my games, unless they were for so.e reason unable to defend from the attack.

All dangers aside, once the druid gets into a position where he can spend that hold, the effect takes place regardless.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 27, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TheLawinator posted:

Page 224-225 (or this) aren't doin' it for you?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

I'd like a hand finalising the Brute! It's 99% ready to go (I have a cover and everything!), but I've got horrible indecision and can't decide which moves to make the core. I've got 2 sorted, and a choice:

Core 2:

Options for the final core skill(s):

I say since you have two moves that are explicitly for combat (Armed and Dangerous, Behemoth), you want the other two to be for mobility and utility (Leap and Smash), albeit with combat uses as well. Hurl fits the class well enough that it should be a starting move too, and you could easily swap it with either of the other two, but you gotta make a choice. Any reason you can't have five starting moves?

Strong Constitution even as a social move feels very peripheral, and would probably be an advance as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I'd like a hand finalising the Brute! It's 99% ready to go (I have a cover and everything!), but I've got horrible indecision and can't decide which moves to make the core.

Smash is basically BBLG with a couple of tweaks, so I feel it works better as an advance instead of being front and centre. Hurl is an obvious fit because of the synergy with Behemoth, but since A&D already has that synergy Hurl ends up being an obvious "improve a starting move"-type advance. Strong Constitution is so limited in use that it feels like it ought to be a racial. Leap is the natural fit, here.

That leaves you with either one normal-scope move or two small-scope ones for the rest, and the social angle isn't covered. How about a move that lets you showboat to distract/impress people/crowds? That would end up a normal-scope move, probably, so would make for a nice fourth to round the class out.

e; also, it's "dealing (your) damage," not "causing class damage."

e2; "and are left weak (-1 Str)" makes no sense; I'm guessing you meant "and are left Weak" as in the debility. A debility is a really serious thing to inflict on a 7-9, you should probably just make it something like "-1 ongoing until you spend several seconds stretching out" - that's a serious penalty, but the end condition is easy to trigger even in the middle of combat, at the cost of exposing the Brute to danger by taking time.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 27, 2013