Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Slow is Fast posted:

The data of the failure rates in my local club aligns with my statements. The last 7 LGT's people have bought have blown up.

I don't trust them, but what do I know.

Of two I've owned (one which I still own), 0/2 have blown up. I bought one new with 17 miles, the other used with 29k. I haven't been kind to them. The previous was 'stage 2' and I autocrossed the living hell out of it. All I ever did was regular maintenance and changed the oil immediately after any event, and made sure I always used 93. The new one is also 'stage 2' + a new intercooler gets subjected to the horrible life of city driving in Chicago, rarely gets out of 3rd gear, and constantly starts/stops. It's happily chugging along, again with nothing but basic regular maintenance.

Motors don't just blow up on their own, but there are quite a few ways to assist them.

si fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^
Mine did. Stock. What was cool is that the motor kept running for like 30k without issue except burning oil (10l per 4k mi). Even did track days with said blown engine. Only got replaced when the transmission broke.

The legacy gt is coded as a 255, but it is a 257 and has the 257 pistons.
I'm fairly convinced that while the pistons are soft, the real cause is the epa complaint tunes they pu on usdm cars. They apparently lean out in bad places.
I base this on the fact that ROW gets the same engines but different tunes (and generally slightly better gas) and even with the silly putty pistons don't blow up when stock. I know CT has stated that australian ej25 turbos don't have this issue.
Based on this, I would be fairly confident with an otherwise stock 255 or 257 with a conservative dyno tune (not an off the shelf tune) from a good tuner.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 26, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Today flushed the brake fluid, engine oil change, and, what the hell, dyno'd my GC8. A local shop does $95 dyno's basically 5 or 6 pulls with an in-exhaust A/F meter, external knock sensor, and boost monitoring.

I'm at work right now but tomorrow I'll post up the pics and dyno sheet. It did 220HP and 190ft/lbs at the wheels, which means when you factor in the ~25% loss in the AWD drivetrain it's still at the 280hp and 242ft/lbs at the flywheel that it was advertised at, 15 years later. I'm happy! More importantly, no major knock (apparantly it detonated once during a 4th gear pull to redline but the shop told me not to really worry about it) and the AFR was rock steady.

Still want to get an apexi power FC and retune to 91 octane but worry about the compatibility since the DCCD in the car communicates with the stock ECU (althought not as much as the newer DCCD units).

Edit: Detonation, not knock

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 27, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Does nobody make alternate firmwares for the GC ECU? Cobb AP, Open Source, etc? They're all far far better than a handheld programmer.

Today I changed the clutch cable on my 99 OBS. What a shitfest. Its a really nice clutch pedal design, tuned mass damper and all. I'm sure it looked great in the technical drawings and on the bench, but it was an absolute bear to get the cable in, and I've done plenty of clutch cables on tiny Japanese cars without any trouble like this before.

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
So, Subarugurus, with a P0113, do you go straight to the IATA/MAP replacement or do you try cleaning it etc?

Viking Blood fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 28, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Does nobody make alternate firmwares for the GC ECU? Cobb AP, Open Source, etc? They're all far far better than a handheld programmer.
Rob's 440# tune is the only one I know of, and it's only for the JDM turbo GC ECU (and only EJ20G at that). I think you have to flash a PROM and swap it out on the board.

quote:

Today I changed the clutch cable on my 99 OBS. What a shitfest. Its a really nice clutch pedal design, tuned mass damper and all. I'm sure it looked great in the technical drawings and on the bench, but it was an absolute bear to get the cable in, and I've done plenty of clutch cables on tiny Japanese cars without any trouble like this before.
I am somewhat glad that I never had to do the clutch cable on my 97. I was sorely tempted to do a hydraulic clutch conversion when I had the tranny out.

si
Apr 26, 2004
There is this: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f72/t188024-delicious-tuning-jec-reflash-q.html

But I don't really see how it's worth it, since you can't reflash it yourself, or really have any decent visibility into it even. If you live close to the guy so you can get custom tuning done maybe it's worth it.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Sold my 2011 STi last night. It will be missed, but I'm ready for something else. Maybe my two favorite pics:

At PPIHC

Syph0n-esque photo of the natural habitat:

The car took me across the country multiple times, commuted, endured hard autocrossing (even on the stock tune at 115 F!), made dirt roads afraid everywhere, and even raced on a frozen lake. What a vehicle.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
Have any of you guys been bothered by the P0183 check engine code?
I actually replaced that stupid sensor, it ran fine several months, now it comes on every once in awhile. If I clear the code it'll run fine for awhile and randomly come back.

Car runs fine with the CEL lit but it's annoying that my Cruise is disabled.

I'm going to spray some contact cleaner on the electrical plug this weekend and see if that fixes it for good.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This is an informative 1 hour 18 minute long video on how to assemble an STI short block. It's pretty much the same for any Subaru motor, and I really wish I had watched this before I did my rebuild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmtEQ1GpmA

He's got some other Subaru videos which are excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlgrBv7zqfLR0rqC9faI_eihKsBGn2Lp1

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Sold my 2011 STi last night. It will be missed, but I'm ready for something else. Maybe my two favorite pics:

At PPIHC

Syph0n-esque photo of the natural habitat:

The car took me across the country multiple times, commuted, endured hard autocrossing (even on the stock tune at 115 F!), made dirt roads afraid everywhere, and even raced on a frozen lake. What a vehicle.

What did you end up getting? Or are you still looking?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I have a 2006 STi 6 spd I'm planning on using with my WRX motor, but I haven't used it yet and there's something that worries me about it. When I turn the input shaft in gear, I can hear a noise inside that sounds like a tapping, or similiar to a hard plastic ball bouncing. I made a video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdpa0H2yQTs

You can hear it everytime I turn the motor a bit, especially near the end. Any ideas? Is it normal?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I live in Japan. Last year I popped in asking a question about a Subaru but at that time I didn't wind up with one (instead wound up with a tiny kei car and that is a story unto itself, but not necessarily for a Subaru thread since it wasn't one of theirs). But now, since one of my friends just recently changed jobs and wasn't sure if he was going to be in the country or not (fortunately he's sticking around), I've traded cars and now have this as my daily driver (my flickr):

2000 Subaru Legacy B4 with a 5-speed manual. Not sure if that also means it gets the "RSK" tag, but I think those are the earlier ones. Not much if anything done to it, though it does ride on Pirellis instead of whatever was stock. Needs a little love (the driver's side paint is a bit scratched up, the under-door trim piece is now standing up in the entrance to my apartment and needs to be touched up a lot) but it's almost the perfect Japanese daily driver. Big enough to haul people or stuff in, comfortable for long stretches, and not too big. Also a lot of fun once the road opens up and you can drop the hammer - especially compared with the 660cc kei I had before :v: Big enough to take five people on a much-needed trip to Costco, but quick and comfortable enough to do so going 130kph on the highway while cruising.

I doubt I'll ever tune it but I do plan on hanging on for a while. Regardless, I love the thing and the quality is great -- I knew people love Subarus for a reason, and it's great to experience that first hand. Only thing I need to do is sort out the head unit, it's a slightly-older navigation one that's great but complicated and sometimes frankly bizarre to use.

[edit] vvvvvv there's 9 or 10 locations spread out around Japan (with a few centered around Tokyo/Saitama/Chiba), the one that's on the island of Kyushu in Fukuoka is a magnet for all us expats who are in the area. Costco runs are talked about with whispered, wistful tones. And it's not just full of expats either, it's almost always busy.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 29, 2013

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

That is goddamn beautiful. It's a keeper, alright.

Also I'm surprised that there's Costco in Japan.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
God drat those are awesome wheels too. They look like my UK17s - that must be where the style originally came from.

Are Costcos physically as large in Japan as they are in North America or have they somehow figured out how to build a multilevel Costco that occupies a city block with densely packed bulk goodies and free samples?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

God drat those are awesome wheels too. They look like my UK17s - that must be where the style originally came from.

Are Costcos physically as large in Japan as they are in North America or have they somehow figured out how to build a multilevel Costco that occupies a city block with densely packed bulk goodies and free samples?

I understand that while some products are different, they're otherwise basically the same.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I see plenty of other same-gen RSKs, B4s and GT-Bs around, and others have those same style of wheels. I might try to track down information in Japanese if I'm bored though. One of the teachers at my school has a white GT-B wagon, and another friend in the area has a white automatic B4. The crazy thing is you can find these pretty cheap depending on the condition -- mine has only 84k km on it, but the friend with the white automatic one got his for about $1800-2000, though I don't remember if he also had to do the every-two-years road inspection (shaken) which I have coming for my car this month. I don't know if it's the same in the U.S., but the rings-and-needles routine when you turn the car on is awesome at night :3:

And yeah, the one I have been to in Fukuoka is in a big western-style mall complex with a far-too-small parking lot, but otherwise yeah, it's basically the same. Lots of imported goods (like the peanut butter and Quaker oatmeal I picked up last weekend), and even the food is the same. Some of my friends love going to Costco just for the pizza :v:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

harperdc posted:

I see plenty of other same-gen RSKs, B4s and GT-Bs around, and others have those same style of wheels. I might try to track down information in Japanese if I'm bored though. One of the teachers at my school has a white GT-B wagon, and another friend in the area has a white automatic B4. The crazy thing is you can find these pretty cheap depending on the condition -- mine has only 84k km on it, but the friend with the white automatic one got his for about $1800-2000, though I don't remember if he also had to do the every-two-years road inspection (shaken) which I have coming for my car this month. I don't know if it's the same in the U.S., but the rings-and-needles routine when you turn the car on is awesome at night :3:

And yeah, the one I have been to in Fukuoka is in a big western-style mall complex with a far-too-small parking lot, but otherwise yeah, it's basically the same. Lots of imported goods (like the peanut butter and Quaker oatmeal I picked up last weekend), and even the food is the same. Some of my friends love going to Costco just for the pizza :v:

US 3rd gen legcays are very limp dick and we didn't get the black gauges taht do the cluster dance on startup. Only started showing up on 4th gens.

Very nice looking car though.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Well it looks like I have a third car now - my friend gave up trying to fix the headgasket on his 04' Impreza TS wagon with me and sold it to me for $500.

Almost done pulling the motor, then I'll do the headgaskets, clutch, and throw on a new intake - anything else I should do while I have it all apart?

Exhaust, timing belt, waterpump, and ignition coil are all basically new.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Group N motor mounts, Skid plate.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've been reading your thread extensively and it's been helping a lot - Mounts make that much of a difference?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Posting from my phone waiting for a track day to start in the pouring rain. All of the Subaru drivers look excited and all the RWD drivers look nervous.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Voltage posted:

I've been reading your thread extensively and it's been helping a lot - Mounts make that much of a difference?

You don't have to get the group N ones (they are really stiff), but I found that my older motor mounts were silly putty.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Voltage posted:

Well it looks like I have a third car now - my friend gave up trying to fix the headgasket on his 04' Impreza TS wagon with me and sold it to me for $500.

Almost done pulling the motor, then I'll do the headgaskets, clutch, and throw on a new intake - anything else I should do while I have it all apart?

Exhaust, timing belt, waterpump, and ignition coil are all basically new.

Rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, spark plug guide seals, 90K mi maintenance interval change

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Now that I've had my new car for 2 weeks, I've been considering what I can do to make it better or different down the line. I've started thinking of things, but didn't know if you all could add any advice or where to go for parts. The mechanics in my family focus on Toyotas and Fords so they aren't too resource friendly when it comes to Subarus but are glad to dive in and help when parts arrive.

2014 Legacy 2.5 (Premium, Sport)
  • spoiler- preferably OEM
  • ultra bright/LED headlights
  • suspension or handling upgrades
  • ????
Any other suggestions or advice are welcomed.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

BoyBlunder posted:

What did you end up getting? Or are you still looking?

Haven't decided really. I might not even replace it at all. I think in the end I want an forester for DD and something light, cheap, and RWD for loving with. My biggest complaint of the STi is that its not really a good DD and not really a good "race" car, and for the price of the STi I can definitely get two vehicles, each with a different but real and usable focus. That and I had planned to mod the poo poo out of it but the motor is crap, and I didn't want to buy a built motor for 5k or more plus mods just to kill the resale value. It's the tuner car that isn't. :smith:

That said, no regrets and I'll always have a soft spot for WRXs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Posting from my phone waiting for a track day to start in the pouring rain. All of the Subaru drivers look excited and all the RWD drivers look nervous.

I remember a track day where it rained the second day. A guy in a cobra rep, who was fast the first day (dry). Second say it rains, I'm in the lgt wagon and he comes up a lunch and says "your rear wiper is mocking me!" (In a funny tone, not a serious tone).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm noticing a bit of engine shaking when I rev it. It kinda looks like it torques a little bit. Is this normal? I always thought the horizontal opposition eliminated a lot of that rotation momentum stuff. Car is at 135k so maybe engine mounts? How much is that sort of thing. Maybe I'll do the tranny mounts, too while I'm there. Casual googling recomments Group-N mounts, is this the standard recommendation?

I think I'm losing boost, too. Feels like boost is building at about 3.5k RPM but then it just stops when it gets to like 4.5-5k and behaves more like an NA engine. I have a working bluetooth OBDII sensor now and Torque. Can this be used as a boost gauge to monitor that? Is there such thing as a wastegate that releases too early or something? I don't really hear any new whistling sounds that weren't there before.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm noticing a bit of engine shaking when I rev it. It kinda looks like it torques a little bit. Is this normal? I always thought the horizontal opposition eliminated a lot of that rotation momentum stuff. Car is at 135k so maybe engine mounts? How much is that sort of thing. Maybe I'll do the tranny mounts, too while I'm there. Casual googling recomments Group-N mounts, is this the standard recommendation?

Perfectly normal. That torsional force is from the crankshaft and flywheel. No way of getting around it (aside from solid mounts). Group N mounts will lessen it to some degree, but the motor will always want to twist.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nm posted:

I remember a track day where it rained the second day. A guy in a cobra rep, who was fast the first day (dry). Second say it rains, I'm in the lgt wagon and he comes up a lunch and says "your rear wiper is mocking me!" (In a funny tone, not a serious tone).

Just got back from the track day, had a ton of fun (my first day out) and was pleased with my car's performance. Much to learn! It poured rain the whole day so I had a good time learning throttle control with a turbo that spools to 17psi and 280bhp by 3.5k rpm.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I need new motor/trans mounts for my 05 Saabaru WRX wagon. It's my daily and I don't intend on tracking it any time soon. Can I just buy whatever off RockAuto or should I get the actual Subaru ones?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Get Group Ns. They're not "track harsh" - perfectly streetable. It's what the car should have come with in an alternate universe where Subaru isn't trying to be Audi.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wouldn't want stiffer mounts personally, the car rides lovely enough as is.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Does anyone have an Apexi Power FC for an EJ20k (part # 414BF005) that they want to sell? Don't need the commander.

Edit: Nevermind just bought one for $650.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 30, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There was a brand new one for sale in Calgary with commander for the v3/v4 STI at $1200 (or $2000 installed with a dyno tune). It looks like it got sold last week.

VEX ordered it by mistake, they're a vendor for them. Maybe they have a used one lying around?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

There was a brand new one for sale in Calgary with commander for the v3/v4 STI at $1200 (or $2000 installed with a dyno tune). It looks like it got sold last week.

VEX ordered it by mistake, they're a vendor for them. Maybe they have a used one lying around?

Yeah my local shop already told me they'd do the install and tune for around $450 depending on how long it takes. They just finished installing and tuning a power fc on a 96 STi which they got to 225hp at the wheels on 91 octane with a conservative tune.

I got a deal on the used one for $650 because it didn't have a commander which I didn't want anyways.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Why did people think it's necessary to replaces the Head Stretch Bolts. The Subaru techs always reuse them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah mine are on their third go around.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
If I'm going to run a 2.5 STI block with a VF39 turbo on an 04 WRX, what clutch should I be getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Exedy stage 1 should handle that fine.