Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Slow and Low 2013 (The tour may actually not be called that.)

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/08/tour-saint-vitus-pallbearer-zoroaster-hookers/

SAINT VITUS – 2013 TOUR DATES
10/4 San Antonio TX @ Korova
10/5 Norman OK @ The Opolis*^
10/6 St Louis MO @ Firebird*^
10/7 Minneapolis MN @ 7th St Entry*^
10/8 Chicago IL @ Reggies*^
10/9 Grand Rapids @ Pyramid Scheme*^
10/10 Detroit MI @ Magic Stick*^
10/11 Cleveland OH @ Grog Shop*^
10/12 Pittsburgh PA @ Rex Theater*^
10/13 Baltimore MD @ Metro Gallery*^
10/14 Upstate NY @ Bogie’s*^
10/15 Boston MA @ Middle East*^
10/17 West Chester PA @ The Note*^
10/18 Brooklyn NY @ Europa*^
10/20 Springfield VA @ Empire^$
10/21 Richmond VA @ Strange Matter^$
10/22 Asheville NC @ The Orange Peel^$
10/23 Nashville TN @ Exit / In^$
10/24 Atlanta GA @ The EARL^$
10/25 New Orleans LA @ One Eyed Jacks^$
* w/ Pallbearer
^ w/ Hookers
$ w/ Zoroaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Was about to post that in the doom/stoner/sludge thread. I'm so down for that Cleveland date, but sometimes it's hard to go to shows as a college student with no metal fan friends on a Friday. More pumped for Pallbearer than Saint Vitus but they're both great.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
So Katatonia's new album "Dethroned and Uncrowned" just leaked. I had no idea they were even making something new...

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Houseplant posted:

So Katatonia's new album "Dethroned and Uncrowned" just leaked. I had no idea they were even making something new...

Thanks for the tip : D

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's an "unplugged" version of their last album, Dead End Kings, so it's only sort of new. I've only heard one song so far but I think they might have even used the same vocal tracks from that album and just recorded new, not-heavy guitars.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 22, 2016

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'm just going to leave these tracks here.

Svart Crown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyChSoHUj-U

Aosoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTvx9ZPpJc

Necrotic Disgorgement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugrc568oAbE

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I dunno... I'm hearing a lot of grand orchestral pieces throughout. Some of it is so goddamned over the top, but I really get a kick out of it. I consider Turisas one of my guilty pleasures.

Sure there's still a good deal of bombast on the album, but it doesn't sound as stupidly huge as tracks like End of an Empire on the previous album.
Like they said, it's more band-centric.

And there is nothing guilty in the pleasure I get from this, I enjoy it unconditionally and without shame. :P

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 24, 2013

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008
Drummer of Eyehategod died. Raise a glass.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Aaaaannnnd the new Ulcerate leaked. Thank you Death Metal overlords for this bountiful feast of Fleshgod Apocalypse, Ulcerate, and Gorguts in a one-month span.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Turk February posted:

I'm just going to leave these tracks here.

Necrotic Disgorgement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugrc568oAbE

Really digging this, just picked up the album. That album cover would make a great shirt.

Edit: gently caress yeah: http://www.comatosemusic.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4139

Haggins fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 24, 2013

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
If I really enjoy Arsis's A Celebration of Guilt, what are some other essential bands/albums I should be checking out? I also really like Carcass' Necroticism... and In Flames's The Jester Race and Whoracle if that helps, but the Arsis album seems to be my favourite right now. I barely have any metal on my playlist so I'm open to any suggestions you can give me.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Try "The Farthest Reaches" by Son of Aurelius

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

homewrecker posted:

If I really enjoy Arsis's A Celebration of Guilt, what are some other essential bands/albums I should be checking out? I also really like Carcass' Necroticism... and In Flames's The Jester Race and Whoracle if that helps, but the Arsis album seems to be my favourite right now. I barely have any metal on my playlist so I'm open to any suggestions you can give me.
If you like Arsis and Necroticism, you definitely need to check out Heartwork by Carcass. I'd also recommend:

Quo Vadis - Defiant Imagination
Anata - The Conductor's Departure
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Martyr - Hopeless Hopes
Death - Everything between Human and the Sound of Perseverance

All great lead guitar heavy, relatively melodic death metal albums.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Houseplant posted:

nihil morari posted:

Thanks for the tip : D

It's not exactly a new album, it's a stripped-down redo of Dead End Kings. Listening to the new version of The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here and it sounds pretty cool

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
I'm a big Arsis fan, but A Celebration of Guilt is on another plane compared to their later albums.

I consider it one of my top 5 albums.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
A Celebration of Guilt is easily the best melodeath album ever made. Also check out Vale of Pnath's Prodigal Empire and Gorod's Process of a New Decline.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
What do people think of the new Sevenfold? It's a bit different and nice production I think. Doesn't sound like they did that stupid loudness thing which distorts the sound. Good thing too because it's a really heavy album. Some great songs on there like Acid Rain.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Ingram posted:

What do people think of the new Sevenfold? It's a bit different and nice production I think. Doesn't sound like they did that stupid loudness thing which distorts the sound. Good thing too because it's a really heavy album. Some great songs on there like Acid Rain.
I suppose it's not quite as unpleasant as sticking my head in the oven but I think I would still prefer a lovely diaper full of angry bees

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Misogynist posted:

I suppose it's not quite as unpleasant as sticking my head in the oven but I think I would still prefer a lovely diaper full of angry bees

It's a lot better than it should be.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Hail to the king, This means war and Acid Rain are pretty solid.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Wintersun was awesome. Again.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

homewrecker posted:

Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

cryme posted:

Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry

Arghoslent is drat solid. Also suggesting Bölzer. It's like Arghoslent, minus the racism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkP4WS8Y_Y

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
On the melodic death tip, Enforsaken's Forever Endeavor is pretty much in my pantheon with Jester Race and Heartwork. If you want to hear like 40 amazing riffs back to back, I highly recommend the album. And it definitely has that "Euro death metal by way of America" thing going, akin to Arsis. For heaviness, it's not exactly on the same level as Arghoslent or even Gorod and Anata (all of whom I second, or third, whatever), but the energy level is sustained and insane -- especially the vocalist, who usually sounds like a hostage taker reading a list of demands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRDZXyBUE6E

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Anyone else hear Primitive Man's new album?

If you're into Thou, you'll probably dig the hell out of it.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Anyone else hear Primitive Man's new album?

If you're into Thou, you'll probably dig the hell out of it.

Loved this. Crushing, and full of hate, just how I like it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Any recommendations for albums similar to OV by Orthrealm? I really love how it plays around with the kind of repetition you typically see more in slower stoner bands while keeping the speed and intensity of grindcore and thrash. It's just perfect to just kinda turn on and tune everything else out.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
And Justice For All was released 25 years ago today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TptaoXNJjsI

I will argue you into submission by sheer persistence and stubbornness that this is Metallica's best album and possibly one of the best thrash metal albums of all time.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
It's also their last album worth having.

So, metallica ended it 25 years ago today. RIP

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

So, metallica ended it 25 years ago today. RIP

No, that anniversary is next month. September 27, 1986, to be exact.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Skeletonwitch been doing an AMA on Reddit since 7PM ET: link.

Hammer Floyd posted:

The Justice for All tour at Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta was my first concert - sixth grade. My older sister took me. She was way into metal too and had a long-haired boyfriend in a thrash band.

I wore the tour shirt to school the next day and was the only kid to have one :smug:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 27, 2013

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

Hammer Floyd posted:

Wow, I didn't realise how many people don't like At The Gates.

Slaughter is one of the best "Gateway" albums of all time. I would put money on it that many many people got into more extreme metal from digging Slaughter.

I'm kinda late on this and I never post in this thread, but this is the truth, at least for me. I credit Slaughter of the Soul for converting me from lovely american radio rock like Disturbed and Staind 10 years ago (granted the album was already kinda old by then, but whatever) when I was about 17 years old. Never looked back.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hammer Floyd posted:

This August/September is also my personal 25th anniversary as a metalhead; started my first year of high school and randomly came across Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Testament and Anthrax within the first few weeks. Planning to spend these next weeks revisiting all the tapes I can remember from back then.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
You know what, I quite like the new Turisas album. Even though they seem to have lost the plot, there's a lot of good stuff there and somehow, it mostly works! I do miss the violin though and there are a lot of trumpet parts (which sound good) which would have sounded great with the violin; its such a nice, crisp sound and adds quite a lot to the folky elements which seem to want to forget in favour of muted bombast.

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 27, 2013

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
So after months of trying to get schedules to align my band managed to record its first EP. We are still tweaking a few songs before we release it in a few days, but heres a song we posted already. If you guys don't all hate it I'll post up the free EP download when we tweaking it in a few days. Its fairly DIY since we are all poor, recorded with a friend(singer/guitarist for the band Smash Potater)

EDIT: Updated Mix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2DWNDezVHs

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 29, 2013

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hey have some speed metal y'all! http://speedtrap.bandcamp.com/album/powerdose

Speedtrap are not wholly unlike Speedwolf with heftier production and a more regular kinda vocalist (albeit a very good one at that), and they're really drat good.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I can't stop listening to Kvist's For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike. What are some other bands that sound like them? Melodic black metal I guess is what this is called.
Thanks.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Doctor Teeth posted:

I can't stop listening to Kvist's For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike. What are some other bands that sound like them? Melodic black metal I guess is what this is called.
Thanks.

You would probably like ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ by Arckanum. The last Taake album, Noregs Vaapen, was pretty melodic too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKPrhxc5zuM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKH1ByiMV88

And one of the best melodic black metal albums of all time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_q_F9ubwE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Whoa Nordick Speedtrap are pretty loving awesome, thanks for the tip. Not really crazy about the vocalist.