Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dizman posted:

It's going to be a fast, fun, street car. Nothing more. I'm sure track racing is fun, but when access to NJMP runs me $250 per day, on top of new pads/rotors/tires, etc etc. It adds up quick. The HDPE/NASA events are also an hour or more away, and they happen during work hours. I can use vacation time to do it but I typically take two week vacations every year and that uses up a majority of my vacation time. If they had something close by, that wasn't insanely expensive, that happened after 5pm and on weekends, I'd be all over it. As it is I'll enjoy the hell out of it on the street, hit the drag strip once a month and continue being very happy with my car.

To be fair though, isn't a C5 Z06 already a fast, fun, street car? I'm gonna be saving my pennies for a used C7 instead, but if it's had damage it'd probably be tougher to sell the z06 now so you may as well just upgrade to keep it around longer.

Edit: vv I saw Edmunds put the C7 on a dyno and got something like 411whp. Would you ever consider getting one of those down the line and modifying that or would you prefer the C6 Z06 just because you're a Z06 fan? I prefer my C5's looks still to the C6, but after the initial shock wore off the C7 is growing on me. I'd just really prefer if it had a glass targa top as an option.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

davebo posted:

To be fair though, isn't a C5 Z06 already a fast, fun, street car? I'm gonna be saving my pennies for a used C7 instead, but if it's had damage it'd probably be tougher to sell the z06 now so you may as well just upgrade to keep it around longer.

Fast is relative. The day I got it, it was slow to me. I still had my 560ish hp GTO. Then I sold the GTO and a few months later cammed the C5Z and I thought it was fast as poo poo, I'd rip on it and it was a sheer adrenaline rush with 430 rwhp on tap. Now though it's mildly boring. I don't plan on selling the car any time soon as I'm in love with the looks and I can't justify the current cost of the C6Z.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

davebo posted:

Edit: vv I saw Edmunds put the C7 on a dyno and got something like 411whp. Would you ever consider getting one of those down the line and modifying that or would you prefer the C6 Z06 just because you're a Z06 fan? I prefer my C5's looks still to the C6, but after the initial shock wore off the C7 is growing on me. I'd just really prefer if it had a glass targa top as an option.

Everyone gets bored with what they drive. I wasn't satisfied with my 300zx tt so I installed big rear end turbos. I'm bored with my s2000 so I'm turbocharging it. I've caught a lot of poo poo from people that feel that what the s2000 comes with is "just plenty of power" but it feels anemic to me. Even people with 500whp cars get bored and used to what they're driving and want more of a thrill when they hit the throttle. It's likely why his friend has a 1000whp SUV :psyduck:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

It's why I started riding motorcycles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wallaka posted:

It's why I started riding motorcycles.

That and the ability to see drat near pro level power, suspension, and tires for a fraction of what cars alone cost. Bikes killed my love for cars and my god, the addiction is bad. Real bad.

SS build on a 600? $4-5k
Full Ohlins or K-Tech suspension? $4k
Dunlop Slicks? $400/set

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 27, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yes but can bikes accommodate a 6'5" 300lb lardass like myself? I doubt it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would be dead within a year if I had a bike. So I stick to riding around in a sheetmetal birdcage.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

kastein posted:

I would be dead within a year if I had a bike. So I stick to riding around in a sheetmetal birdcage.

I used to daily-ride for several years and when the motorcycle fatality rate in Baton Rouge started hitting national high levels I stopped. I miss the speed so bad :(. I think that's what I'm constantly chasing, honestly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Paul Boz_ posted:

Everyone gets bored with what they drive. I wasn't satisfied with my 300zx tt so I installed big rear end turbos. I'm bored with my s2000 so I'm turbocharging it. I've caught a lot of poo poo from people that feel that what the s2000 comes with is "just plenty of power" but it feels anemic to me. Even people with 500whp cars get bored and used to what they're driving and want more of a thrill when they hit the throttle. It's likely why his friend has a 1000whp SUV :psyduck:

So why am I going backwards?

E39 540i -> G35 Coupe -> E60 550i -> Range Rover P38 -> Range Rover Classic

This does not fit in AI :psypop:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Fucknag posted:

Everybody gets old.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So why am I going backwards?

E39 540i -> G35 Coupe -> E60 550i -> Range Rover P38 -> Range Rover Classic

This does not fit in AI :psypop:

Everybody gets old eventually.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

Paul Boz_ posted:

I used to daily-ride for several years and when the motorcycle fatality rate in Baton Rouge started hitting national high levels I stopped. I miss the speed so bad :(. I think that's what I'm constantly chasing, honestly.

I raced dirtbikes as a kid (until I was too big, I'm 6'8")and I know that's what fast cars are for me. Chasing that rush.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

davebo posted:

Oh I'd absolutely get a C7 and modify it, I think they look great. I'd wait until the warranty was up before doing that though and it'd have to be a Z06 model. I can't settle for a base model because I'm vain and I want everyone to know I have the better one. I don't like that the tail lights look like Camaro tail lights, although I think if they'd never been on the Camaro in the first place I wouldn't mind them on the C7.

I love the looks of my C5 Z06 being so drastically different from the C5 base coupe with that long trunk and I'm a little sad the the C6 (and likely the C7 as well) lost that. I'll get a C6Z in a few years when they're in the $25k range as I can't afford to put down $40k on an 8 year old car. Hell I picked up my current C5Z for $16k, two and a half years ago. So when they come down I'll sell the C5Z at a loss (will be the first time taking a loss selling the car, and only because of the accident) and pick up a lightly modded C6Z.

And then get bored and boost it and then hate it and sell it and get another and get bored and boost it and hate it and sell it and then get another...

See where I'm going with this? I have issues.

I also put a deposit down on the A&A Vortech V3-Si kit.

Dizman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 28, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Fucknag posted:

Yes, there are a number of big-rear end dudes that haul the loving mail.
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=124114

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Paul Boz_ posted:

I think the S2000 is fast enough when you are really getting on it, but even then in a straight line it's not that fast and you won't always have the space to get it up to 7k+. I'm still afraid to really tear into corners so it is plenty fast for me now. Coming from the 300zx though I can absolutely see why you feel like it's slow.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I am 6'5 and some change and 300lbs you will be fine. Not as fast as a 5' 100lb jockey but still plenty fast. A super sport will be cramped however

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Holdbrooks posted:

I am 6'5 and some change and 300lbs you will be fine. Not as fast as a 5' 100lb jockey but still plenty fast. A super sport will be cramped however

Yeah my old coworker used to have a CBR600, I sat on it once for a laugh and it looked like a kiddie bike with me on it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Paul Boz_ posted:

Everyone gets bored with what they drive.
Not everyone. I bought my C5 in February of 2003 and all I've really done was had a Corsa exhaust put on it. Still feels fast to me. I can certainly imagine going faster though.

Dizman posted:

I love the looks of my C5 Z06 being so drastically different from the C5 base coupe with that long trunk

But in 1999-2000 they offered the base model as a hardtop just like the Z06 got the next year, and that was the cheapest option. I always thought it was weird that the Z06's most distinctive feature was the same as the base model's cheapest option, even though it was obviously for weight savings and structural rigidity. Then people glue the fake brake vents and front vent grills on and they're hard to tell apart.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

kastein posted:

Same here pretty much. I've seen a few bike wrecks in person and I know that I'd be dumb and romp on it, so it's best if I just never buy one.

Then again, I kind of want to get a moped. Am I alone on that one?

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

davebo posted:

But in 1999-2000 they offered the base model as a hardtop just like the Z06 got the next year, and that was the cheapest option. I always thought it was weird that the Z06's most distinctive feature was the same as the base model's cheapest option, even though it was obviously for weight savings and structural rigidity. Then people glue the fake brake vents and front vent grills on and they're hard to tell apart.

That's true, but they still differentiated it with the body style vs the fender vents on the C6. Granted the fenders on each side are roughly an inch and a half wider on the GS/Z06/ZR1 over the base/convertible and a few aero pieces, but to the untrained eye the only thing different is the fender vents. The C5 had a pretty drastic difference that completely set it apart, and that's what I like.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Dizman posted:

And then get bored and boost it and then hate it and sell it and get another and get bored and boost it and hate it and sell it and then get another...

See where I'm going with this? I have issues.

I also put a deposit down on the A&A Vortech V3-Si kit.

Yea that's why I suggested doing at least one HPDE before modding the car, I borrow my friends stock C6 Z06 for autox and after just that the thought of only ever using the car for highway pulls, even giving it another 200whp, just bores the poo poo out of me.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Muffinpox posted:

Yea that's why I suggested doing at least one HPDE before modding the car, I borrow my friends stock C6 Z06 for autox and after just that the thought of only ever using the car for highway pulls, even giving it another 200whp, just bores the poo poo out of me.

If I had the time to dedicate to it and was actually able to attend I'd be much more open to it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Dizman posted:

That's true, but they still differentiated it with the body style vs the fender vents on the C6. Granted the fenders on each side are roughly an inch and a half wider on the GS/Z06/ZR1 over the base/convertible and a few aero pieces, but to the untrained eye the only thing different is the fender vents. The C5 had a pretty drastic difference that completely set it apart, and that's what I like.

are you seriously trying to say that the c5z is more of a noticable departure from the c5 coupe than the C6z/GS/ZR1 in comparison to the c6 coupe? The widebody is much more noticable to the untrained eye.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

kill me now posted:

are you seriously trying to say that the c5z is more of a noticable departure from the c5 coupe than the C6z/GS/ZR1 in comparison to the c6 coupe? The widebody is much more noticable to the untrained eye.

I think if you lined up all the C6s most people would have trouble noticing the differences aside from the fender vents. The C5/C5Z have drastically different bodies, from a side profile.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

kill me now posted:

I honestly don't know for certain that the one on the right is a Z06 and not a hardtop with fake vents. One thing's for certain, I hate the '97-'99 base model wheels.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Save up for something really satisfying and keep it?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

davebo posted:

I honestly don't know for certain that the one on the right is a Z06 and not a hardtop with fake vents. One thing's for certain, I hate the '97-'99 base model wheels.

All the C5 wheels look ridiculous now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Comrade Flynn posted:

All the C5 wheels look ridiculous now.

The magnesium ones seem perfectly innocuous to me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

davebo posted:

You kind of cherry picked those images. The C5 Z06 is the only FRC (fixed roof coupe) really except for a model year or two of the C5 (left pic). Most are the hatches or convertibles. That said, I can always spot a C5z but usually have to look for the badge on a C6. And I see them way more than most people...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Maybe instead of something actually faster, he should buy something old and terrifying?

Want to drive like a man? Get a slow aircooled VW and go highway merging. :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Bought another pig!

Picked this up for 2000. Runs great, a very small oil leak, other wise, the interior is in good shape. Drives great, but does need a U-joint or 2. I may just end up putting all new prop shafts in and be done with it.

The AC does not work, which I will figure out why, and the sun roof no longer opens or closes (not a big deal). There is a very small amount of surface rust on the drivers side rocker under the rear door, which will be super easy to take care of. I plan to wire wheel the rust, POR15 then some hammered black.

Other than the aforementioned problems its in pretty drat good shape for a 25 year old ride.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's awesome. I love RRCs.

And I'm gonna take a pass on the "has a small oil leak" and let someone else get in on that.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

That's awesome. I love RRCs.

And I'm gonna take a pass on the "has a small oil leak" and let someone else get in on that.

Yeah, I am already waiting for the oil jokes.

But after searching for at least a couple years, this is about the best truck I have found for the money. Its not rusted out, even with all the notorious rust spots, its clean. Pulled up the rear cover for the rear cargo area and its clean and original. So I feel pretty lucky in the fact that it the truck hasn't been molested much.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Different strokes for different people. Though, I will say you haven't lived until you've raced an open Wheeler. Those things are terrifying.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Larrymer posted:

You kind of cherry picked those images. The C5 Z06 is the only FRC (fixed roof coupe) really except for a model year or two of the C5 (left pic). Most are the hatches or convertibles. That said, I can always spot a C5z but usually have to look for the badge on a C6. And I see them way more than most people...

Well to be fair I didn't kind of cherry pick it, I did cherry pick it. 7 posts beforehand I was specifically talking about the 1999-2000 base model hardtop. But I did use one with the normal liftback in the frame for reference.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Das Volk posted:

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Das Volk posted:

There aren't very many cars that I like. I'd get another GTO but I'd have to do a lot of work to get it where I want it. Newer CTS-Vs are too pricey for my cheap rear end, same with C6Zs. Not a fan of F-bodies, I don't like anything Dodge or Ford offer, haven't found an import that interests me except for the NSX, but they're much too slow and incredibly expensive. The only other cars I like are cars I will never be able to afford (Aventador, Huayra, etc etc). I love the C5Z and I'm pretty sure that 550-600 rwhp is the sweet spot.

Dizman fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 29, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Bought another pig!

Picked this up for 2000. Runs great, a very small oil leak, other wise, the interior is in good shape. Drives great, but does need a U-joint or 2. I may just end up putting all new prop shafts in and be done with it.

The AC does not work, which I will figure out why, and the sun roof no longer opens or closes (not a big deal). There is a very small amount of surface rust on the drivers side rocker under the rear door, which will be super easy to take care of. I plan to wire wheel the rust, POR15 then some hammered black.

Other than the aforementioned problems its in pretty drat good shape for a 25 year old ride.

Y'know, a TVR 5-litre supercharged bolts in to those. Rover V8 and all that..

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
And that way he can have an engine that's even less reliable than the car it's in! ;)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

drgitlin posted:

And that way he can have an engine that's even less reliable than the car it's in! ;)

And count the MPG on one hand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
To be fair, MPGs would be a mostly theoretical concept in TVR-powered Range Rover because it implies that the car is capable of going a few miles.