Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Speaking of flashbacks, yesterday was Philippe's fifth birthday, for those of you keeping score at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Guys is Achewood... back? Because I've laughed at all three new strips and Lord I don't want my heart broken again but I think Achewood might be A Thing once again.

(And I don't know what you're all talking about, Cornelius has always sounded perilously close to a Brooke McEldowney character for my taste. The crudgeon needs Lyle around for balance)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

I can't say for sure this is what's happening, but those flashback comics feel like something he might have written way back and rat-holed away for a rainy day. Especially when contrasted to the ongoing theo freedom strips. I don't mean to seem like I'm making GBS threads on the guy, though. If he's back, I'm happy.

I dunno, if he had them stashed for a rainy day maybe it wouldn't have been over a year between updates.

I miss getting Achewood 3 times a week. :smith:

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I can't say for sure this is what's happening, but those flashback comics feel like something he might have written way back and rat-holed away for a rainy day. Especially when contrasted to the ongoing theo freedom strips. I don't mean to seem like I'm making GBS threads on the guy, though. If he's back, I'm happy.

How way back are we talking?

https://twitter.com/achewood/status/320068515996516352

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The new strip isn't a homerun, but it's a solid double off the wall.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The new strip isn't a homerun, but it's a solid double off the wall.

Feels good man. Feels so right. My mind is going to places where nostalgia should be.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It is a perfect.....comic!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
These flashbacks bring up an interesting question. I never really thought about the cats' hair situation, since they're cats and have fur. But Beef has hell of '80s hair in these strips, in addition to his fur. Does this mean that adult Beef does whatever is the Achewood cat equivalent of shaving his head? What about Ray? We saw Ray with a crew cut in the strip where he dressed up like a greaser to drink a glass of milk. I NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE CATS' RESPECTIVE HAIR SITUATIONS.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The art on the last couple has been a bit wonky, but that don't mean a thing if Achewood is back.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The rear end Stooge posted:

These flashbacks bring up an interesting question. I never really thought about the cats' hair situation, since they're cats and have fur. But Beef has hell of '80s hair in these strips, in addition to his fur. Does this mean that adult Beef does whatever is the Achewood cat equivalent of shaving his head? What about Ray? We saw Ray with a crew cut in the strip where he dressed up like a greaser to drink a glass of milk. I NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE CATS' RESPECTIVE HAIR SITUATIONS.

It has been established that Ray is "monk dimin'" hair-wise. Beff, I dunno.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I think Beef just had his crazy phase in highschool and now keeps it high and tight for efficacy.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Beef also doesn't wear pants.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I'm surprised to find Achewood still going. What's the word? Did Onstadt ever refund those people he ripped off?

In any case, I've come by to do some remembering and ask a question. I was reminded of the existence of this comic by the fact that the All-American Rejects are still together and making music. This band and Achewood are forever connected in my mind due to the music video for their 2005 hit, "Move Along".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XleOkGsYgO8

Despite the terrible pop punk, it is basically a video that Ray might've directed, and always reminds me of the Ray Learns the Piano arc. It is incredibly cheesy and hilarious, and I consider it almost a "perfect" music video. It is the sort of superficial music video that inspires awe in people like Ray (I love Ray. But he is a jerk. I liked the jerks when I was younger...but maybe I've changed, or maybe the jerks have changed).

Even though I've outgrown Achewood, I smile when I hear this song, as it somehow, improbably, connects to this comic and a time before I was sober and boring and happy and healthy.

The point of this post is to ask about any other music videos, like this one, that remind you of Ray. Or Achewood in general, but Ray was always my favorite character in this comic strip about talking animals who sometimes dress in people clothes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
We probably wouldn't get along in life, because after watching that I pretty much disagree with everything you just said.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Darth Windu posted:

I'm surprised to find Achewood still going. What's the word? Did Onstadt ever refund those people he ripped off?

In any case, I've come by to do some remembering and ask a question. I was reminded of the existence of this comic by the fact that the All-American Rejects are still together and making music. This band and Achewood are forever connected in my mind due to the music video for their 2005 hit, "Move Along".

Despite the terrible pop punk, it is basically a video that Ray might've directed, and always reminds me of the Ray Learns the Piano arc. It is incredibly cheesy and hilarious, and I consider it almost a "perfect" music video. It is the sort of superficial music video that inspires awe in people like Ray (I love Ray. But he is a jerk. I liked the jerks when I was younger...but maybe I've changed, or maybe the jerks have changed).

Even though I've outgrown Achewood, I smile when I hear this song, as it somehow, improbably, connects to this comic and a time before I was sober and boring and happy and healthy.

The point of this post is to ask about any other music videos, like this one, that remind you of Ray. Or Achewood in general, but Ray was always my favorite character in this comic strip about talking animals who sometimes dress in people clothes.

Huh, so this is how a descent into craziness starts.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Huh, so this is how a descent into craziness starts.

"Starts"?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
How can you outgrow Achewood? I've done the opposite, my appreciation of it grows each time I do a read through.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

JoshTheStampede posted:

How can you outgrow Achewood? I've done the opposite, my appreciation of it grows each time I do a read through.

I only found cat dicks to be funny when I was a kid. I require my humor to be of a more mature nature now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Revol posted:

I only found cat dicks to be funny when I was a kid. I require my humor to be of a more mature nature now.

Oh HELL yes!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Revol posted:

Tomorrow's recipe: chicken.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Revol posted:

ROCK HARD CAT COCK! ROCK HARD CAT COCK! ROCK HARD CAT COCK!

rock hard cat sock

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

That video is dogshit man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

That video is dogshit man.

But is it mega nasty? http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06232004

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I was mistaken. It was actually Roast Beef who wrote the music video. Still, this is all I have to submit.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11152002

It is remarkably similar. You are in denial if you do not think an idiot like Ray would find that video inspiring. Stop lying to yourselves and let the music flow.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Darth Windu posted:

It is remarkably similar. You are in denial if you do not think an idiot like Ray would find that video inspiring. Stop lying to yourselves and let the music flow.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Darth Windu posted:

I was mistaken. It was actually Roast Beef who wrote the music video. Still, this is all I have to submit.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11152002

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Darth Windu posted:

i am definitely envisioning a simple apartment decorated with owl posters

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Finally got started on reading this the other day from that first storyline marker after not feeling it when I tried from the very start.

Philippe, bless his heart.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Onstad is pulling at my heart strings.

I want to believe.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Browsing through some of the later story arcs, the Little Nephew in Wales one is pretty good -- I didn't notice any other Little Nephew ones in the list, is that it? I know he was never a major character but I seem to remember more.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

A Violence Gang posted:

Browsing through some of the later story arcs, the Little Nephew in Wales one is pretty good -- I didn't notice any other Little Nephew ones in the list, is that it? I know he was never a major character but I seem to remember more.

There's also the short one where he's a goth and the one where he streams his suicide on webcam.

Why do I know this and what has Achewood done to my brain.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

A Violence Gang posted:

Little Nephew didn't ever have much going on.

Off the top of my head; the goth thing, hip hop pants, the mini arc where he tries to stop Ray and Lyle's joint company, which has one of my favorite Onstad lines.

The slowest suicide ever, where Ray goes nuts and rips out the cars axle.

Then nothing much, maybe one offs, until he gets shot and goes to Wales.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Loving Life Partner posted:

Off the top of my head; the goth thing, hip hop pants, the mini arc where he tries to stop Ray and Lyle's joint company, which has one of my favorite Onstad lines.

Oh poo poo I completely forgot about Japan Man. To the archives!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Clipperton posted:

Oh poo poo I completely forgot about Japan Man. To the archives!

This features one of my favorite panels ever, Ray's,"YEAH MAN, WE DOIN' THIS! :haw:" while sitting side-saddle.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

This features one of my favorite panels ever, Ray's,"YEAH MAN, WE DOIN' THIS! :haw:" while sitting side-saddle.

And Teodor's burn of Ray on the phone: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03292005

Whenever someone invites me somewhere, I always want to respond the way Teodor does, but I am too scared.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Seldom Posts posted:

And Teodor's burn of Ray on the phone: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03292005

Whenever someone invites me somewhere, I always want to respond the way Teodor does, but I am too scared.

This strip also is one of the reasons I never saw Ray as a black dude, and instead as a dude who adopts sterotypical black stylings and culture when it suits him, what with Teodor saying "chocolate love all" to mock Ray.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah it's pretty clear Ray is just a white guy who grew up in the suburbs listening to hip-hop, not an inner-city black youth legitimately expressing his culture.

As far as we can apply those concepts to cats.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

You think he'll graduate to actual toilet cams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
There's the time he made an album, resulting in my all-time favorite strip.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05022003