Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dantheman650 posted:

I'm all moved in here in Gwangju! My apartment rocks, my co-teachers are wonderful and my school is lovely. I'm crazy far away from downtown but a motorcycle will solve that problem. Thanks everyone for the help over the last six months that got me here!

Pics of apartment plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Good, fresh blood.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
:psyduck: My girlfriend just told me gimbap is 500 calories. :psyduck:

:psyboom: She. Was. Right. :psyboom:

H- How?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Eifert Posting posted:

H- How?

Rice, sesame oil, salt and bunch of other shits.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Look at the calorie counts on some of the snack foods. I'm not a scienticien but I'd say they generally underreported by like 30%.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

THE LUMMOX posted:

Look at the calorie counts on some of the snack foods. I'm not a scienticien but I'd say they generally underreported by like 30%.

Somebody mentioned that in Kakao when I first noticed the calories being on the front of all the packages. Then I started adding up the protein/fat/carbs and it all seemed right. Try it out - carbs/protein have 4 calories a gram and fat has 9, so unless they're under reporting the macronutrients I don't think those calorie counts are incorrect.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eifert Posting posted:

H- How?

You didn't know that? Yeah, gimbap is not a healthy food to be pounding. Homemade is better, you can cut down the amount of rice you use, use fresh vegetables instead of sugar soaked ones, and just not brushing on the sesame oil saves you like 100 calories and I've never noticed a flavor difference. They always ignore me when I ask them not to put it on at a restaurant.

I'd guess the ones I make at home are 250-300 calories. I don't pack with excess rice and I use a lot of no/low-calorie things for flavor, like sriracha or fish sauce.

Salt doesn't have calories ya mook. :colbert:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Grand Fromage posted:

Salt doesn't have calories ya mook. :colbert:

Well you just had to pick on one thing I got wrong on, didn't you?! :colbert:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Grand Fromage posted:

They always ignore me when I ask them not to put it on at a restaurant.
If we ever have a pan-Asia thread, this could be the subtitle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ReindeerF posted:

If we ever have a pan-Asia thread, this could be the subtitle.

The Taiwan thread story about the well-done steak despite specifically ordering (in Chinese) rare because "Americans like their steaks well-done" is still one of the saddest things I've ever read.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Many years ago, I tried taking my ex Chinese girlfriend to a fancy pants steak house called Morton's of Chicago. She wanted the fillet mignonfully cooked with no trace of red :smith: It was a waste of good meat. To this day, I regret for not stopping her and ruined a nice 80 dollar steak :emo:

Never again. If I take someone out to a nice steak house and they are ordering like an idiot, I'm going to step in.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, fluency is a total non-issue for sure. I'm even fluent in restaurant Thai. Once they see that non-local face, though, it's a crapshoot as to what comes next.

My favorite is when some truly provincial younger person taking the order is staring at me with intense anxiety, mouth hanging open and is listening to the words spoken in her language, but is so overcome by the interaction that she is not able to understand me. She'll eventually giggle and run off to get some older relative who is less interested in the whiteo piggah and who just listens to what I have to say and writes down the order. Hasn't happened in a while, but it does happen on occasion and it's about the only time I get a little irritated, because Goddamn.

I have no idea if this happens in Korea, but given the propensity for Japanese and Koreans to just eschew or wave off dealings with foreigners, I wouldn't be surprised (we normally don't have this issue here).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

I have no idea if this happens in Korea

Yes, constantly. Though I've never had anything like the China thread story of the white guy speaking perfect Mandarin to someone who just kept saying "I don't speak English" in reply, and some other Chinese dude saying "He's speaking Chinese, idiot".

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

I have no idea if this happens in Korea, .

Just today at the soccer game:

:geno: <<One Cass>>
:keke: <<Yeeeeess!>> kkkkkkk
:geno: <<Thank you.>>
:keke: <<Do you speak Korean?>>
:geno: <<No. Goodbye.>>
:keke: kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

OH poo poo SON. The sun is hot, the air is humid, but hark! What is this I hear? It's the first whispers of the Falltime! That means that we need to start getting our poo poo together for:

Come on down (or up) to Songtan, Gyeongido to the luxurious KCC Switzen Apartments on the weekend of November 30th to enjoy home-cooked (and prepared) foods while avoiding making eye contact and enjoying the gaming experience of the OUYA!

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 30th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? We're shooting for Dinner rather than lunch. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
I'm personally doing this all gratis, you don't owe me poo poo. But a few people will be catering and it would be nice to kick a few bucks to them. Figure that if you toss in 10k~20k it'll be much appreciated. As anyone who was here for last year will proclaim, the food volume and quality was worth it.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

How do I get to Songtan?
In Seoul/The Civilized North? Songtan Station is on Line 1 of the Seoul Metro. Waaaaay towards the end of that line. Bring a book.

Down South/The Sticks? gently caress, I dunno, take a bus? I believe that the city bus' that run to Suwon or Pyeongtaek will also stop in Songtan, but your results may vary. For you farther out guys I could use some more pointers. I am hereby designating MAXSMART to be the Moses of the Southrons.

Maxsmart posted last year:
I went through the train schedules and such. The best option seems to be to take the train to Pyeongtaek and then hop on line 1.

Ok I got there, now how do I get to your place?

I haven't made the map yet! GET OFF MY CASE IT'S FRIGGIN AUGUST. But I'll edit it in here later.

Ok, you _can_ walk. It's maybe 30~45min from the subway station, but drat it'll be cold. Since I wont be cooking, if you guys can get in groups I wouldn't mind picking you up at the station. Especially if you're hauling food in.

From the Bus Terminal it's about 20~30min, just head straight East and follow the North side of the street.

Otherwise, (bear with me, my computer at work won't let me type Korean into the forums) take a Taxi to 'SWITZEN APARTMENTS'. I'm in tower 103. If you can get there we'll talk you the rest of the way up.

SO ANYWAY if you're a lurker or a Meme-posting Kakao junkie, bring some booze, bring some food, bring an empty belly and we'll goon it the gently caress up!

Where All The White Women At
Also, we'll go to GI/Americatown after to party if you're down. (Please make sure your dental insurance is paid up)

Accommodations!
Hotels are cheap, if you want to crash at my place I've got a lot of blankets and stuff, whatever, we'll figure it out. Otherwise I can easily direct you to some of the less seedy places to stay.

I'll be reposting this sporadically over the coming months, but I just wanted to get everyone thinking about it early this year.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
This isn't your typical sad expat Thanksgiving. This is the real deal bros. Everyone get in on this.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Im in and i hope caberham can make it as well.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

EasternBronze posted:

Im in and i hope caberham can make it as well.

What's your Kakao ID and is it searchable? Add it to the doc in the OP!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Jerks I'll be in UK. :smith:

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

drat it, that will be my rugby team's Movember shave off

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I put my name on the list but it is going to be difficult to make time that weekend :smith:

edit: I love the Dokdo poster

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Grand Fromage and I will be cooking. We are each first among equals (I need help/don't want to do it sorta solo again this year). After my self made menu + requests last year I am simplifying the menu. None of my fancy pants bird seed from south of the Mason Dixon. I will try to accommodate requests. Your request will receive greater attention if multiple people make it or it's fun to make. Because of oven space I probably won't make flan, but I could do panna cotta.

Is there a good way of making a sort of poll of what people want? No more soup, you jerks didn't appreciate it last year. I'll be doing at least one turkey as a dry brine sort of Peking duck style. Probably one smoked/grilled. I am a fan of vegetables, I feel strongly about this, you will like them or I'll send goon mom after you and he will be drunk.

If you have a specific family recipe that sounds interesting, feel free to submit that, I'll look at everything. Caveat: I will be doing almost everything from scratch, so just accept that your canned chicken 'stock' or bouillion cubes will be made from roasted chicken bones and chicken feet. Trust me it's better for you and me.

Does anyone have pictures, I remember food just kind of going into the lions den and seeing pieces later.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes, constantly. Though I've never had anything like the China thread story of the white guy speaking perfect Mandarin to someone who just kept saying "I don't speak English" in reply, and some other Chinese dude saying "He's speaking Chinese, idiot".

If I remember right, I was out with MomonariKun and he had a similar situation arguing over some potatoes. Guy just didn't process that he was asking about seasoning and whether it had flour or anything like that and just kept saying 'gamja GAMJA!'

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

Because of oven space I probably won't make flan, but I could do panna cotta.
What kind of communist Thanksgiving are you people having here? Good lord!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If November 29th was not a mandatory "YOU WILL BE AT WORK" day, I'd consider buying tickets for this event. Koreagoons are the best goons.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

What kind of communist Thanksgiving are you people having here? Good lord!

Last year i made polenta/grits/birdseed and was going to make gnocchi until people got confused and scared.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would make cha siu and siew yuk but I don't know how I'd get it there, since it has to be started days in advance.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Spend time with goons in real life? Ha! Yeah, that's real likely :smug: (don't be me)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

Last year i made polenta/grits/birdseed and was going to make gnocchi until people got confused and scared.
We need a crying Walter Sobchak flag here or something!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Jeoh posted:

If November 29th was not a mandatory "YOU WILL BE AT WORK" day, I'd consider buying tickets for this event. Koreagoons are the best goons.

But Eat Day is the 30th! 29th is just pregame.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

No more soup, you jerks didn't appreciate it last year.

Christmas is ruined.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Grand Fromage and I will be cooking. We are each first among equals (I need help/don't want to do it sorta solo again this year). After my self made menu + requests last year I am simplifying the menu. None of my fancy pants bird seed from south of the Mason Dixon. I will try to accommodate requests.

I request grits. :colbert:

But I am a superstitious man. Should some unlucky act befall the grits, should they hang themselves in their jail cell, should they get shot in the head by a police officer or if they get struck by a bolt of lighting then I am going to blame some of the people in this chat-room, and that I do not forgive.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 29, 2013

SqueakyDuck
Apr 5, 2009

Banao!~ :3::3:
Will there be military special tequila?! :3:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Did you guys know that America doesn't have four seasons, only Korea does.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Except that Korea completely forgot to have spring this year.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

SqueakyDuck posted:

Will there be military special tequila?! :3:

The exact same bottle from last year :stare: Nah, just kidding, I poured that poo poo down the sink when I was leaving the old house to sterilize the pipes. But more can always be acquired.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

DontAskKant posted:

Did you guys know that America doesn't have four seasons, only Korea does.

I'm from Texas, so its true for me. I kinda miss the cycle of Winter and MegaSummer.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
If caberham is actually coming I call dibs on sleeping with him because we have some unfinished business.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

A fairy tale story, with many happy endings.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

I'm all moved in here in Gwangju! My apartment rocks, my co-teachers are wonderful and my school is lovely. I'm crazy far away from downtown but a motorcycle will solve that problem. Thanks everyone for the help over the last six months that got me here!

Holy crap a Gwangju goon. I went back to America but here are things you must do.

-Hike Mudeungsan all the goddamn time
-Go to the 6k vegetarian buffet in that barn at the foot of Mudeungsan
-Go to the makkeoli/jjeon place at the chosun back gate. It's underground, near the board game cafe
-Acceptable foreigner bars: German Bar 2, the underground one with the huge record library, First Alleyway, uh, maybe Tequilaz
-Go to a Kia Tigers game
-Don't get involved with the weird groups who gossip all the loving time
-Go to the BBQ place around the corner from Tequilaz
-Go to the nice restaurant run by the German guy and his Korean wife (The Kunsthalle)
-Go to the Bamboo Forest in Tamyang and get food nearby
-Look out for the Coffee Girls, who ride behind shady-looking men on motorbikes and deliver 100k cups of coffee to men. All else that occurs is consensual.
-Don't break my heart and tell me that you're in the Gwangju near Seoul

Edit: -Ride a bike on the river path

big boi fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Goonsgiving is worth flying to visit! I propose that everyone chips in 5000 won as a cleaning fee. I will probably compromise with the China goons and do Canadian thanks giving with them :canada: If my schedule is ok, I will definitely hop on an airplane :smugdog:

THE LUMMOX posted:

If caberham is actually coming I call dibs on sleeping with him because we have some unfinished business.

:dance:

It's a Saturday too, so I can fly in Friday night and leave on Sunday! This time guys, hire a helper to do the clean up work. Don't have Kant and Lummox be stuck in the kitchen doing dishes while everyone just goes out to the bars.

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 29, 2013

• Locked thread