Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't think geolocation is going to be reliable for users behind a proxy, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

kedo posted:

Generally speaking in ya'lls experience, how reliable is geolocation data for people on traditional internet connections (ie. everything that's not going through a cell tower)? I have a "find the nearest location" function on a site I'm building and am wondering if I should hide it for no-touch users.

I ask because on my work connection instead of finding my actual location it just plops me right in the middle of DC, and at home it plops me up in Maryland somewhere. Granted both are business accounts with static IPs and other weird stuff that most normal users won't need to worry about, so not sure how much that has to do with it.

Good enough, not like GPS or anything. Always of course supply an option to supply the location, and use the geolocation as a default.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

pipes! posted:

W3C: Gradients, drop shadows, and rounded borders, but no vertical centering.

You can, actually. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/CSS/Flexible_boxes

It's not exactly W3C's fault if IE is being retarded.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Depressing Box posted:

Hmm. Maybe a regular expression? Then you could check for a range of letters (e.g. [a-h]):
Sweet, thank you! This did the trick nicely.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
The bar for CSS has just been raised:

http://codepen.io/juliangarnier/details/hzDAF

(note, no javascript at all)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The future will have no Z-sorting.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

hedgecore posted:

CSS is the new Flash. I joyfully look forward to a new wave of sites with 'Skip Intro' buttons.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

I don't find it super reliable to tell the truth. Depending how you're doing it (e.g. simple WHOIS) you're only going to get the registered block for the owner. So in the case of the mega bigs it's not that useful. For example, roadrunner/comcast/aol/etc. will generally show either their corporate headquarters, or maybe their NOC the next state/city over if you're lucky.

Well I'm using the geolocation API which is usually pretty reliable, but what you're talking about sounds similar to the issue I'm having. Luckily you can check for accuracy with the api. I tested it out on both my work connection and home connection and both came back with a 43km radius (loooool), while on my phone or on a neighbors normal cable connection the accuracy was about 25 meters.

Winter is Cuming posted:

Good enough, not like GPS or anything. Always of course supply an option to supply the location, and use the geolocation as a default.

This may be what I end up doing if I'm not feeling lazy. :)

e: :10bux: to whoever creates a 3D CSS animated flying penis that I can drop into projects for dick clients.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 23, 2013

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

hedgecore posted:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. That said, it is pretty impressive.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

kedo posted:

Well I'm using the geolocation API which is usually pretty reliable, but what you're talking about sounds similar to the issue I'm having. Luckily you can check for accuracy with the api. I tested it out on both my work connection and home connection and both came back with a 43km radius (loooool), while on my phone or on a neighbors normal cable connection the accuracy was about 25 meters.

Oh sorry, (you and others) I thought you were doing it solely on geoip and not device reporting as well. That'll definitely be more accurate as Jusion said.

Well no one answered about structured data / rich snippets but I'm already seeing some pretty cool stuff. I've wired up a test site for a small company every which way (products, articles, authorship, hcard, reviews/ratings) and it's starting to show fruit. The most surprising to me was it may have helped Google decide to create a Knowledge Graph entry for the company name, which is kinda cool. None of their (much larger, more established) competition have that and I've already noticed an increase in click through rate for searches for the name, though it was already quite high. Still not sure what 'concrete' is accomplished by doing it but I'm guessing there'll be some interesting synergies.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is anyone aware of a good text or two on designing modern day distributed web applications, ideally with something like AWS as data center? I've been doing pretty much everything organically so far, so I'm sure I'm either reinventing the wheel or doing something very inefficiently quite often. Would be good to learn a few tricks from the pros.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but me and a friend of mine are starting a fun blog together. I'm looking for a really easy to use blog platform and can't really decide if I should set up Wordpress or just use something like tumblr with a custom domain. I'm thinking just going with tumblr and not having to deal with Wordpress and managing/patching it, but from a quick search I don't think tumblr allows multiple (2) different authors. Is Wordpress my best option then or are there other alternatives now? I use Jekyll for my own blog personally but that's just added unnecessary difficulty to force on others in my opinion.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but me and a friend of mine are starting a fun blog together. I'm looking for a really easy to use blog platform and can't really decide if I should set up Wordpress or just use something like tumblr with a custom domain. I'm thinking just going with tumblr and not having to deal with Wordpress and managing/patching it, but from a quick search I don't think tumblr allows multiple (2) different authors. Is Wordpress my best option then or are there other alternatives now? I use Jekyll for my own blog personally but that's just added unnecessary difficulty to force on others in my opinion.

If you don't want to install your own copy of Wordpress, you can have Wordpress host your blog (and they'll update it): http://wordpress.com/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is anyone aware of a good text or two on designing modern day distributed web applications, ideally with something like AWS as data center? I've been doing pretty much everything organically so far, so I'm sure I'm either reinventing the wheel or doing something very inefficiently quite often. Would be good to learn a few tricks from the pros.

This is not really what you asked for, but the question made me think of something I read a few months ago about the growing pains Pinterest went through, and what architectures they tried and settled in, and why. Might be helpful to you, might not, but I found it very interesting and helpful: Scaling Pinterest

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have any input on the new Adobe Edge tools? The ones here: http://html.adobe.com/

I'm trying to help my wife learn some web design stuff, and I'm trying to scour what tools she will need. I know that Illustrator and Photoshop are pretty much must haves, but what else? She'll be learning 960gs and stuff, so mostly just the graphical part of it. I'm behind on much of the HTML5 development scene, so anything that might help with that too.

She'll be using Sublime Text 3 as a text editor; I'm trying to keep her away from any WYSIWYG editors.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Knyteguy posted:

Does anyone have any input on the new Adobe Edge tools? The ones here: http://html.adobe.com/

I'm trying to help my wife learn some web design stuff, and I'm trying to scour what tools she will need. I know that Illustrator and Photoshop are pretty much must haves, but what else? She'll be learning 960gs and stuff, so mostly just the graphical part of it. I'm behind on much of the HTML5 development scene, so anything that might help with that too.

She'll be using Sublime Text 3 as a text editor; I'm trying to keep her away from any WYSIWYG editors.

If she's on a Mac, Keynote and Sketch are my design workflow tools these days. I keep photoshop around because I have to open PSDs, but I stopped designing in it a while back and used Illustrator in it's stead, and then used what I use now more and more to the point that I use them exclusively.

Teach her Semantic HTML and *then* teach her about CSS. Don't bring in 960gs and things that make you add layout-specific markup until late in the game.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

daggerdragon posted:

If you don't want to install your own copy of Wordpress, you can have Wordpress host your blog (and they'll update it): http://wordpress.com/

I guess I'm just looking for any blogging platform with a WYSIWYG editor and easy to use for non technical people.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Lumpy posted:

This is not really what you asked for, but the question made me think of something I read a few months ago about the growing pains Pinterest went through, and what architectures they tried and settled in, and why. Might be helpful to you, might not, but I found it very interesting and helpful: Scaling Pinterest

That's interesting, thank you. I guess I'll have to rummage around and see who else posted something along those lines.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Can anyone give me an explanation of div classes and how they're supposed to layer images on top of other images effectively?

I've read W3Schools, a 'for dummies' chapter, and a myriad of posts across forums, but I still can't make things do, and I suspect a lot of it has to do with a lack of questioning and conversing on my part. I'm just having lots of issues conceptualizing the purpose of a div tag. I'm also working with a lot of pre-made templates and they're not behaving well with the CSS that I find, so maybe it's time I really jumped into writing my own templates from scratch.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

GreatJob posted:

Can anyone give me an explanation of div classes and how they're supposed to layer images on top of other images effectively?

I've read W3Schools, a 'for dummies' chapter, and a myriad of posts across forums, but I still can't make things do, and I suspect a lot of it has to do with a lack of questioning and conversing on my part. I'm just having lots of issues conceptualizing the purpose of a div tag. I'm also working with a lot of pre-made templates and they're not behaving well with the CSS that I find, so maybe it's time I really jumped into writing my own templates from scratch.

Your question is vague but I'll give it a shot.

1. I think you may be referring to z-index (layering elements). It can be tough to understand at first, but if you have a solid understanding of the CSS inheritance rules it will make a lot of sense. Mozilla has a decent write-up

2. HTML5 introduced new elements (section, header, footer, article, etc...) which have more semantic meaning than a plain old div. Some older browsers require a shiv in order to support them though.

3. Unless you have a solid understanding of the language used to create a template, modifying it will be a pain in the rear end. Become familiar with your browsers web inspector, get some coffee, and start figuring out how to target specific elements that you wish to style.

4. Templates, at least in my experience, are bloated messes of code. I'm sure some decent ones exist, but then you run into #3.

5. Classes can be applied to more than one element on a page allowing you to re-use common design elements (shadows, background colours, etc...). When you start looking at Less & SASS they introduce things like variables and mixins which are just awesome.

Any of these answer your question?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

If you plan on getting, or already have, the Adobe Cloud subscription service you also get access to those preview apps. In my experience they are not ready or are simply worse than existing tools.

Code, for example, looks neat and I like the UI. However, it doesn't support CSS pre-processors and won't be in the near future (last time I checked).

Adobe for the most part seems to be sticking with its' WYSIWYG roots and it shows when you try out these apps. They are great for non-technical people like designers, but more often than not coding it yourself is better. That or there are better existing tools on the market. They have ignored modern web design & development.

I just want them to get off their rear end and let me use FontKit fonts on the desktop.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Oh My Science posted:

If you plan on getting, or already have, the Adobe Cloud subscription service you also get access to those preview apps. In my experience they are not ready or are simply worse than existing tools.

Code, for example, looks neat and I like the UI. However, it doesn't support CSS pre-processors and won't be in the near future (last time I checked).

Adobe for the most part seems to be sticking with its' WYSIWYG roots and it shows when you try out these apps. They are great for non-technical people like designers, but more often than not coding it yourself is better. That or there are better existing tools on the market. They have ignored modern web design & development.

I just want them to get off their rear end and let me use FontKit fonts on the desktop.

Alright thank you for the replies. She's following a book for the semantic HTML and CSS so she's covered on the pace and order. It's really solid ( http://htmlandcssbook.com/ ) and she's already schooling me on stuff when I've been making HTML websites for 15 years :). It actually goes into 960gs later in the book and stuff, so I figure the author put some thought into that before adding it.

We'll probably be going with the creative cloud suite, though I haven't looked much into the different pricing packages (we might just get Photoshop / Illustrator if it's cheaper). I wasn't sure what development niche those Edge programs were supposed to fill, because I thought Dreamweaver and Muse or whatever had the WYSIWYG part covered.

On a different note does anyone have any experience with selling on ThemeForest? We're thinking of doing some designs to sell on there to get a little passive income rolling, to bankroll some bigger projects we're trying to accomplish. I know they have a 50% cut to start so I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if we should just freelance (which obviously isn't so passive) instead. If you have, what's your experience been like? Is it though to get your work noticed or do they pretty much handle the marketing?

Thanks again.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Skiant posted:

You can, actually. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/CSS/Flexible_boxes

It's not exactly W3C's fault if IE is being retarded.

Let me know in 10-15 years, when implementing this is actually viable. And also, yes, it is their fault for being toothless, unfocused, and unresponsive.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Oh My Science posted:

Your question is vague but I'll give it a shot.

1. I think you may be referring to z-index (layering elements). It can be tough to understand at first, but if you have a solid understanding of the CSS inheritance rules it will make a lot of sense. Mozilla has a decent write-up

2. HTML5 introduced new elements (section, header, footer, article, etc...) which have more semantic meaning than a plain old div. Some older browsers require a shiv in order to support them though.

3. Unless you have a solid understanding of the language used to create a template, modifying it will be a pain in the rear end. Become familiar with your browsers web inspector, get some coffee, and start figuring out how to target specific elements that you wish to style.

4. Templates, at least in my experience, are bloated messes of code. I'm sure some decent ones exist, but then you run into #3.

5. Classes can be applied to more than one element on a page allowing you to re-use common design elements (shadows, background colours, etc...). When you start looking at Less & SASS they introduce things like variables and mixins which are just awesome.

Any of these answer your question?

It's helping! You just gave me a ton of keywords to look up to flesh out my understanding. In my case, it's going to be a lot more doing before I'll be able to ask really specific questions.

I can never get z-indexes to agree with the templates I try to use, and a developer friend of mine indicated that z-indexes were kind of new thing and to use div tags instead (??) but it's all very confusing. All I generally want to do is be able to define a repeating background, then float the other page elements on top of it in a grid system. What makes it so frustrating is my layouts are so easy for me to visualize and lay out but I just can't make them work from the other end. :)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This might be coming at it from the wrong end, and feel free to disagree with me everyone else, but generally I find if you're relying on z-index to render a 'normal' layout properly you are probably doing Something Wrong. I've have CSS elements layered 4 deep and never had to rely on it, and every time I've 'had' to use it, it didn't work and I ended up re-doing things so I didn't have to.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah z-index is the devil and as Scaramouche already mentioned there are, in most cases, better ways to approach the problem.

If you're specifically looking for a repeating background look into CSS background properties. Or, if you can't figure it out, mock something up in ms paint / photoshop / whatever and someone here will likely be able to give you a more straight forward answer. I feel like we are still guessing at what you need.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
As an aside, I've started using variables for my z-index values via SASS, and man, does it make things way easier (as does SASS with basically every other aspect of working with CSS).

But yeah, GreatJob: Think of each <div> as a layer of depth, the more nested they get the taller the stack gets. If you use Firefox, the 3D view mode in it's built-in Inspector tool (shut up, I like it) might help you visualize the concept.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
Hey guys, quick security question about PHP/MySQL. If you're not using user-defined input (but rather something like a $_SESSION['id']), is it OK to do a straight query to the database with $mysqli->query($someQueryString)?

Or should I still use bind_param(), even though the user had no means to affect the variable being bound?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Use PDO not mysqli.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Scaramouche posted:

This might be coming at it from the wrong end, and feel free to disagree with me everyone else, but generally I find if you're relying on z-index to render a 'normal' layout properly you are probably doing Something Wrong. I've have CSS elements layered 4 deep and never had to rely on it, and every time I've 'had' to use it, it didn't work and I ended up re-doing things so I didn't have to.

Yeah, z-index is pretty hard to use in any modular design because it's unscoped, just a number. It'd be a poo poo load more useful if it was possible to create z-index groups and manually control the layering within that group without having an element pop up and out of the group unless you were specifically asking it to. As it is, especially in a recent app I'm working on where we have multiple stacking pages, document order is more reliable rather than forcing it through z-index, because then you start needing to manually place every element in the stack and it just gets hard to maintain.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Fugue Stater posted:

Hey guys, quick security question about PHP/MySQL. If you're not using user-defined input (but rather something like a $_SESSION['id']), is it OK to do a straight query to the database with $mysqli->query($someQueryString)?

Or should I still use bind_param(), even though the user had no means to affect the variable being bound?

It is never* OK to do a straight query to the database with $someQueryString.

* This is not 100% true, but if you act like it is, nothing bad will happen, and the things you write will be less awful.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lumpy posted:

It is never* OK to do a straight query to the database with $someQueryString.

* This is not 100% true, but if you act like it is, nothing bad will happen, and the things you write will be less awful.

I would argue the only time it's acceptable, and even preferable, as a part of good coding practice is if there are no variables in the query. Then you're just wasting time by preparing a statement before executing it. Otherwise, the added safety of statements means they should be used every single time.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, z-index is pretty hard to use in any modular design because it's unscoped, just a number. It'd be a poo poo load more useful if it was possible to create z-index groups and manually control the layering within that group without having an element pop up and out of the group unless you were specifically asking it to. As it is, especially in a recent app I'm working on where we have multiple stacking pages, document order is more reliable rather than forcing it through z-index, because then you start needing to manually place every element in the stack and it just gets hard to maintain.

This is kinda what I was talking about. I have a SASS partial setup with $base, $layer1, $layer2, $layer3, etc. declared as variables. You can create for semantic names if it helps, but I just enjoy having a very tight control over ordering numbers.

I mean, a well-structured page will always trump, but it's good to have this poo poo organized if and when do need to muck around with z-index.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
OK got the message loud and clear about binding parameters, even with non-user-input variables. Just out of curiosity, what is the attack vector there? (with user inputs, I can see SQL injections, etc.)

Mister Chief posted:

Use PDO not mysqli.

Any particular reason? I've coded a large chunk already in mysqli - is it worth reworking everything to PDO?

Hatseflats
Mar 21, 2013

Fugue Stater posted:

Any particular reason? I've coded a large chunk already in mysqli - is it worth reworking everything to PDO?

Binding parameters is much easier with PDO, it also has more database drivers and some other things.

This is a decent summary of the main differences between mysqli and PDO.

Not sure if it's worth it to rework your code, but it's certainly worth it to learn PDO.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I'd like to have some sort of a dendogram graph on my site, along the lines of D3's http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4063570

I already implemented it once the same way the example does, but I've hated every second of working with D3. I don't want to learn a whole new paradigm just to get that stuff on the screen.

Are there any other libraries out there that could get me a nice dendogram without wasting days of my time?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
z-index really isn't that big a deal if you remember that something needs to be given a CSS "position" in order for the manually set z-index to apply. Everything else is set to 0 by default so you shouldn't have any issues with random stuff popping out provided you keep that in mind. I tend to use 3 as my top layer and 1 or 2 for anything in between - if four layers aren't enough then you're probably not letting the automatic overlapping do enough work and you should consider restructuring your HTML. There are always outlying cases of course, but I think this information is generally true enough to be useful to someone maybe.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
I try not to use z-index for anything other than position:absolute pop-over menus or tooltips. Those are the things that need to be outside of the document flow and need to be above everything else.

Example stolen from Bootstrap:

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Can someone please explain the appeal and goodness of Bootstrap? Namely the base CSS. Because I don't get it. Maybe we're just doing it wrong, but I dunno.

I recently started a job doing UI design and front-end dev for a web-based application. When I first went into the code, my initial thought was 'dear god, what the hell is up with all this bizarre, non-semantic markup? :psyduck:' It was all Bootstrap classes. I guess I thought Bootstrap CSS was a more low-level thing that took care of resetting/formatting all that annoying poo poo that takes forever to do from scratch on each project (like buttons and horizontal menus), but after having dealt with it for the last couple weeks, I've found it to be incredibly overbearing and hard to modify. The back-end developer (who built the UI and did the front-end stuff before I came along) ended up implementing a bunch of weird hacks to work around some Bootstrap styling issues, which ended up causing even more bugs. When I coded up a new feature, I ended up jettisoning pretty much all the Bootstrap markup and just writing new CSS. And we have a Bootstrap-based form where the two columns of labels/fields merge into each other and overlap if the browser window gets too small, rather than wrap around and stack. I don't know if this is just poor implementation of Bootstrap or what, but ugh.

So after learning that the back-end developer had also been fighting with Bootstrap CSS and using hacks to get around it, we decided that it would be a good idea and better in the long run to write our own foundation CSS that's designed specifically for this application and eventually phase out Bootstrap, sooo that's what I'm working on. I mean, I guess Bootstrap's great for getting a polished-looking site or an app set up really fast, but not so much when you're trying to get a generalized (and heavy-handed) thing handle the appearance and behavior of a specialized application.

... I hope I don't get lynched for not liking Bootstrap. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Authentic You posted:

Can someone please explain the appeal and goodness of Bootstrap? Namely the base CSS. Because I don't get it. Maybe we're just doing it wrong, but I dunno.

I recently started a job doing UI design and front-end dev for a web-based application. When I first went into the code, my initial thought was 'dear god, what the hell is up with all this bizarre, non-semantic markup? :psyduck:' It was all Bootstrap classes. I guess I thought Bootstrap CSS was a more low-level thing that took care of resetting/formatting all that annoying poo poo that takes forever to do from scratch on each project (like buttons and horizontal menus), but after having dealt with it for the last couple weeks, I've found it to be incredibly overbearing and hard to modify. The back-end developer (who built the UI and did the front-end stuff before I came along) ended up implementing a bunch of weird hacks to work around some Bootstrap styling issues, which ended up causing even more bugs. When I coded up a new feature, I ended up jettisoning pretty much all the Bootstrap markup and just writing new CSS. And we have a Bootstrap-based form where the two columns of labels/fields merge into each other and overlap if the browser window gets too small, rather than wrap around and stack. I don't know if this is just poor implementation of Bootstrap or what, but ugh.

So after learning that the back-end developer had also been fighting with Bootstrap CSS and using hacks to get around it, we decided that it would be a good idea and better in the long run to write our own foundation CSS that's designed specifically for this application and eventually phase out Bootstrap, sooo that's what I'm working on. I mean, I guess Bootstrap's great for getting a polished-looking site or an app set up really fast, but not so much when you're trying to get a generalized (and heavy-handed) thing handle the appearance and behavior of a specialized application.

... I hope I don't get lynched for not liking Bootstrap. :ohdear:

It lets you churn out a decent site fast. Especially for developers who aren't mainly front-end web developers.

However, I also think you are probably judging it based upon a poorly done implementation of a Bootstrap site, coupled with a lack of familiarity with the way Bootstrap works.