Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

OatmealRaisin posted:

In other news, ducks fly, trout swim, Nintendo has no idea how to manage their branding.

I actually thought that was a parody article.

What the hell. Was there that much demand for a less portable, uglier system incapable of using the main feature/gimmick of the 3DS?

And yeah, the branding is hilariously terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Vintersorg posted:

Also this:

My local games shop posted it - $299 isn't too bad but man, there is gently caress and poo poo to do on this system.

Screw all those that say the Wii U has no games, that line up right there is enough to keep me more than busy. poo poo... I want all of those except for Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
So how exactly do you fit that fucker in your pocket? It's a goddamn square the size of a piece of toast. Did they really have to remove the clamshell design? What were they thinking?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also why the hell is the 2DS still lacking the second stick? You can't play Monster Hunter on that Nintendo. Japan is not going to be pleased.

They're shooting their golden goose in the head with a bazooka.

One and the Same posted:

So how exactly do you fit that fucker in your pocket? It's a goddamn square the size of a piece of toast. Did they really have to remove the clamshell design? What were they thinking?

It's supposedly the size of a PsOne. You can't put in it your pocket that's why it's getting custom branded carrying cases for the system.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

One and the Same posted:

So how exactly do you fit that fucker in your pocket?

You don't. They're selling official carrying cases for that monstrosity :shepface:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Screw all those that say the Wii U has no games, that line up right there is enough to keep me more than busy. poo poo... I want all of those except for Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

It doesn't have games right now, but the line up this fall and into the next 12 months is impressive.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Tortolia posted:

incapable of using the main feature/gimmick of the 3DS?

A 3DS with the 3D always turned to off sounds exactly like my 3DS.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

One and the Same posted:

I think they're trying to emulate the tablet trend in mobile computing. But man, what a swing and a miss.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
A cheaper 3DS without the 3D? Sign me up! I can't play with the 3D on for more than a few minutes without seeing double.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Renoistic posted:

A cheaper 3DS without the 3D? Sign me up! I can't play with the 3D on for more than a few minutes without seeing double.

But you can turn the 3D off without the need of buying a new system with a terrible control layout that's worse than it's predecessors.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WendigoJohnson posted:

But you can turn the 3D off without the need of buying a new system with a terrible control layout that's worse than it's predecessors.

Why are the buttons so high up? That is terrible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Renoistic posted:

I was excited, because I wouldn't use the 3D aspect of the 3DS, so why pay for it? But if that fucker doesn't fold, no sale. I'm not carrying around a case for that thing. All my other electronics fit in my pocket, I'm not gonna make an exception for this one.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It isn't even that much cheaper. It's like $50 less at worst than the non-XL, with a worse control scheme and less portability. I can't stop laughing, Nintendo is literally headed up by Larry, Curly, and Moe

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The buttons are probably in the optimal place for whatever the center of balance is.

Also wow two 3DS games appear to be WiiU exclusive! Oh wait no the poster department just didn't want to make two posters.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Codependent Poster posted:

Why are the buttons so high up? That is terrible.

It would make sense if it had a single screen like the Vita, but with the 3DS your eyes are not looking at the screens in the same way. The slant the system is on is supposed to give you the same feeling of the DS/3DS because the top screen is not at the same angle as the bottom. However they even screwed that up because both screens are not at the same angle as the DS or 3DS. Not only that your hands will now be covering parts of the top and bottom screen due to the button placement.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
They could drop the price by $150 and the Wii U still wouldn't be a good deal in its current state. The system is in its death throes. All that's left to do is speculate as to when it finally shits the bed and Nintendo pulls the cord.

And Jesus Christ that 2DS.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OatmealRaisin posted:

In other news, ducks fly, trout swim, Nintendo has no idea how to manage their branding.

Seriously, I thought this was gonna be an Onion piece or something, but then I just saw it on GameSpot too :psyboom:

What the gently caress is Nintendo even doing anymore

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I haven't bought a 3DS. And the new one is cheaper. The size and no clamshell design are major turnoffs, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My theory is that they're sick of hearing they should leave the home console business to focus on handhelds, so they're trying to demonstrate they can gently caress up their portables with the same focus and intensity.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Why announce a price drop a month in advance? Now anybody who hears about the price drop will wait to buy the WiiU.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:

What the gently caress is Nintendo even doing anymore

Iwata gonna get his rear end fired.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My theory is that they're sick of hearing they should leave the home console business to focus on handhelds, so they're trying to demonstrate they can gently caress up their portables with the same focus and intensity.

No please don't gently caress up the portable handhelds too. :( This is the only thing left that I like about Nintendo.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

I said come in! posted:

The Wii-U is dropping by $50 officially on September 20; https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/372741538180513792
Hooray! Now it's only going to be $100 too much, and also it's already a dead system so who the gently caress cares!

OatmealRaisin posted:

Dear The Company That Named Something Wii U And Expected Consumers To Know It Wasn't An Accessory For The Wii:

2 is less than 3. Hope that helps.

Love, Andy

P.S. That thing is ugly as gently caress, won't fit into pockets as well, and will get scratched up, what exactly were you trying to prove by not making it a clamshell like every goddamn gameboy since the SP, I thought this poo poo was settled

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Actually, the 2DS isn't that bad of an idea. The reason? Young kids, I'm not sure if anybody else has ever had to deal with this, but after working at an EBGames as well as at a pawnshop there is one thing that always seemed persistently true. Some kids can't deal with hinged handhelds, I have seen so many GBA SP and DSs which were ripped at the hinge from any number of reasons. From falling damage to "Little jimmy just pulled at it until it tore apart, does the warranty cover his stupidity?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 2DS is being designed for small children and being released the same day as the new Pokemon game. It's not actually a terrible idea. I dislike the design a lot though, but the lack of hinge makes sense. It's the most breakable part of the system.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Flayer posted:

Why announce a price drop a month in advance? Now anybody who hears about the price drop will wait to buy the WiiU.

Maybe the same people who follow gaming news enough to know about this in advance are the same people who knew the thing has been selling poorly enough that they had to have a price drop soon. Though I don't really see an advantage to announcing early.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Syfe posted:

Actually, the 2DS isn't that bad of an idea. The reason? Young kids, I'm not sure if anybody else has ever had to deal with this, but after working at an EBGames as well as at a pawnshop there is one thing that always seemed persistently true. Some kids can't deal with hinged handhelds, I have seen so many GBA SP and DSs which were ripped at the hinge from any number of reasons. From falling damage to "Little jimmy just pulled at it until it tore apart, does the warranty cover his stupidity?"

The screens better be extra sturdy then, like OG Brick Gameboy can take a loving IED and still keep on working sturdy.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Flayer posted:

People were buying WiiUs?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Any idea if the 2Ds has that fancy new 15 hour battery?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Any idea if the 2Ds has that fancy new 15 hour battery?

According to info released it's basically the size of the original but with the battery of an XL.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

ImpAtom posted:

According to info released it's basically the size of the original but with the battery of an XL.

The chart they put out says it actually gets less time out of the battery than the XL. How is that possible when it doesn't have to render stuff in 3D?

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
At this point its pretty clear nintendo has no loving clue and really needs to pull a SEGA and just admit defeat and make marios and zelda rehashes for xbox and playstation.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

The screens better be extra sturdy then, like OG Brick Gameboy can take a loving IED and still keep on working sturdy.

A good screen protector will deal with most of those issues. Also not having the secondary screen being used as actively as the original DS should cut down on the scratching that happens from kids that treat the touchpad as though they are engraving something into it. It certainly looks sturdy enough for kids and I can tell you that not having a hinge will make a considerable difference for the longevity of the device for kids. They tend not to care too much about how scratched up the screen gets, that's kind of an adult fixation on keeping our devices that we've invested money in pristine.

yourafagpleasedie posted:

At this point its pretty clear nintendo has no loving clue and really needs to pull a SEGA and just admit defeat and make marios and zelda rehashes for xbox and playstation.

Can people stop saying this? Nintendo has already said that if they go bankrupt they're taking their games to the grave with them, so don't bother praying at that shrine. If you want to play Nintendo games and have those franchises stick around you may as well invest in a Nintendo system.

Also, Nintendo has some pretty nice coffers.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
To say something nice about Nintendo, I'm tempted by that Zelda bundle. $240 for the console plus a $60 game is pretty enticing.

Except the game is an HD remake that literally every other company in the world would sell for $40.

And it's a download code so thanks to Nintendo's consumer-unfriendly DRM policy if your console kicks off so does your game.

gently caress right off Nintendo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Nintendo puts out a cheaper alternative to their existing system aimed at kids on the same day as their massively popular kids game comes out" doesn't actually seem like a bad decision, ugly design aside.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Yeah fwiw I think the 2DS will do well with the market they're targeting. Doesn't change the fact that it's ugly as sin, doesn't look ergonomic whatsoever, and has a stupid name.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crowbear posted:

The chart they put out says it actually gets less time out of the battery than the XL. How is that possible when it doesn't have to render stuff in 3D?

Only thing I can think of could be that the operating system has a kid friendly Wi-Fi thing that forgoes the need to look up individual Wi-Fi channels and passwords and just keeps it in search mode grabbing onto the nearest and open channel.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

I'm sorry, yourafagpleasedie, but I disagree with this. I don't really the "Nintendo is doomed!!!" rhetoric is really accurate at all and I'm surprised to see it chirped so often here. I also don't think the Wii U is necessarily doomed though so :)

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

ImpAtom posted:

"Nintendo puts out a cheaper alternative to their existing system aimed at kids on the same day as their massively popular kids game comes out" doesn't actually seem like a bad decision, ugly design aside.

Everythings been pretty negative across the board on the internet with his announcement. It sucks dick. And there are going to be alot of upset kids when they realize this new gameboy is shittier than their last 3 year old one and it has half the features and is giant as hell.

And if nintendo wants to bury themselves and their games than they can go ahead, its clear that nobody gives a gently caress from the WiiU hilarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nintendo's not burying themselves anytime soon. Even if the Wii-U were to literally sell no more units, they're still making a lot of money on the portable side of things.

• Locked thread