Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

coconono posted:

DC is also a Viacom property if I understand correctly.
Time Warner, actually.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Wasn't Hog Wild at least half-conceived as Bischoff's idea to build himself personal biker cred, according to Meltzer?
Sounds legit. I believe Cornette also accused Bischoff of being the kind of guy who likes to hang out with big, tough dudes who ride Harleys and smoke cigars and that kind of poo poo, so he can feel like a badass.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Russo's explained this in shoots. He thinks title defences are boring and that no one talks about them, whereas people will rave about and go out of their way to see a title change. He seemed a bit confused when one interviewer suggested that if you kept having title changes then they cease to be special, but he never seemed to understand the concept of diminishing returns.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The thing Russo doesn't realize is that usually when people pop for a title change, it's because a bad guy has held the belt for a long time, or that an underdog the crowd likes is challenging for the title, or because it's a great finish that gets people off their feet.

Skinty McEdger posted:

The biggest problem is that "anything can happen" can eventually turn into "nothing means anything" through over use.

RZApublican posted:

To here Jim Cornette tell it, Russo's greatest weakness while booking was his inability to learn from anyone or to even want to learn about the wrestling business and how to work in it (what to do, what not to do etc.)

BrigadierSensible posted:

And so on and so forth with all the mistakes and idiocy that Russo would book. It could be cool, and indeed was cool the first time, but by the time we had seen it 273 times, it was stupid, and sapped any fervour we had in the product.
The thing I don't get about Russo is this: Cornette said his biggest problem is that he doesn't like, understand, or want to learn about wrestling, and kept wanting to base wrestling stuff on "crappy B-movies" because he and his contemporaries are failed screenwriters. Can he be that and also have no grasp whatsoever of basic storytelling principles like "Anything is possible means nothing matters?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Watching Russo booked wrestling is like watching reruns of Family Guy. When you know the twist is coming, it loses impact; when you know there will be some kind of twist, it loses impact. Sure it might be entertaining the first time around, but it doesn't age well and multiple viewings really let you see that cracks and flaws that you would have overlooked the first time around.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I will say that I loved Russo as a heel authority figure in WCW, cutting promos so profane they'd make Scott Steiner blush.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Family Guy is terrible upon first viewing, but so is pretty much everything Russo's done so I'll let the analogy slide

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Endless Mike posted:

Technically that's one of two DC threads. That one is specifically to talk about how stupid DC is as a company. It was created because that discussion was making it hard to talk about the actual comics. The comparison is fun to make, but DC will never be sold off like WCW was for no reason other than their IP being some of the most valuable in the world.

Yeah, I hear a lot about DC making dumb decisions(I mean, this exists: http://hasdcdonesomethingstupidtoday.com/) but I wonder if a company that owns Superman and Batman could ever really die.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Time Warner, actually.

Oh god, it's all becoming so clear!

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

triplexpac posted:

I will say that I loved Russo as a heel authority figure in WCW, cutting promos so profane they'd make Scott Steiner blush.

Man, you are not joking. I recently reread Death of WCW and tracked down a video Bash at the Beach 2000 so I could see the promo that made Hogan so mad he sued, and the sheer amount of swearing going on in that show surpasses anything I remember from WWF in the attitude era.

(Also the show was awful, much worse than reading about it had led me to expect. Why was the Steiner Recliner banned? It's a camel clutch.)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Yeah, I hear a lot about DC making dumb decisions(I mean, this exists: http://hasdcdonesomethingstupidtoday.com/) but I wonder if a company that owns Superman and Batman could ever really die.

People have wondered if a company that employed Hulk Hogan could ever really die, and now we're on the verge of finding that out for the second time! :v:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
1) Superman and Batman are still draws.

2) Superman and Batman aren't cripples and can still work.

3) Batman put over the court of owls so at least he still does jobs. :colbert:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HM4-uuFzo

To his credit: I don't think he started one sentence there with "Bro I know but..."

To his detriment, gently caress you Vince Russo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wario Kart 64 posted:

No, because if the company that owns Batman and Superman was looking like it was about to die, it could sell Batman and Superman.

Then it could use that money to be on life support for a while, then it could die.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Memento1979 posted:

No, because if the company that owns Batman and Superman was looking like it was about to die, it could sell Batman and Superman.

Then it could use that money to be on life support for a while, then it could die.

The only way Time Warner would ever sell Batman and Superman would be if the entire company itself was about to collapse. Even if DC Comics became financially unviable and they had to shut it down, they'd keep all the IPs for that sweet sweet movie revenue.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

whatsabattle posted:

To his credit: I don't think he started one sentence there with "Bro I know but..."

More than anything (since they specified a name), hasn't Chris Daniels spent most of his career playing some kind of character rather than being "just" a wrestler?

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

whatsabattle posted:

How does anyone tolerate interviewing this shithead without calling him out on the endless torrent of bullshit that comes out of his mouth?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's every single Russo interview ever, except with him now blaming other people by name instead of genrally while never admiting his own short commings.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Oh god, it's all becoming so clear!
Shortly after AOL Time Warner purchased DC, Marvel's editor-in-chief loved to throw around references to "AOL Comics." So if you think subtle references to WCW being propped up by Turner money were crass, compare that.

Solomonic posted:

Man, you are not joking. I recently reread Death of WCW and tracked down a video Bash at the Beach 2000 so I could see the promo that made Hogan so mad he sued, and the sheer amount of swearing going on in that show surpasses anything I remember from WWF in the attitude era.

(Also the show was awful, much worse than reading about it had led me to expect. Why was the Steiner Recliner banned? It's a camel clutch.)
Didn't they ban Savage's Flying Elbow Drop? I recall that it at least had some half-justification that he was running in on matches to hit guys with it, hitting people with it after he'd already pinned them, etc.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 27, 2013

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm annoyed that the opening text doesn't spell "controversial" correctly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Saul Goode posted:

How does anyone tolerate interviewing this shithead without calling him out on the endless torrent of bullshit that comes out of his mouth?

I could only listen to him for about 30 seconds, he exudes self-importance. "This will be my last interview ever!"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Shortly after AOL Time Warner purchased DC, Marvel's editor-in-chief loved to throw around references to "AOL Comics." So if you think subtle references to WCW being propped up by Turner money were crass, compare that.

Didn't they ban Savage's Flying Elbow Drop? I recall that it at least had some half-justification that he was running in on matches to hit guys with it, hitting people with it after he'd already pinned them, etc.

You have your timeline mixed up a bit. Time-Warner in some form has owned DC for close to 50 years. Warner owned it before the merger with Time and Turner.

WCW did ban the elbow, or at least moves from the top turnbuckle. It was stupid.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Halloween Jack posted:

To my understanding he was stiffing people with those elbow drops too to protect his spot.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'd heard it was more that his hip was hosed and he couldn't stop his momentum very well anymore.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I was a much bigger wrestling fan in high school than I am now, but it wasn't until I started lurking around PP that I realized just how incredibly hosed up the industry is. Going back to the Macho Man thing, if you're in a match with Savage and he just decides to hammer you with an elbow drop after the match for no real reason, you basically just have to lay there and sell it right? I imagine you can't clock him in the face right there in the ring (that's what parking lots are for!).

BillyMays posted:

To my understanding he was stiffing people with those elbow drops too to protect his spot.

Can you explain why this protects Savage? Was he just trying to injure other wrestlers so they couldn't compete against him for matches later on or something? Or do you mean he just wanted to make sure he could still keep doing his signature move?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 27, 2013

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thought savage was just putting his own well being over the guy he was wrestling.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

savage was also a dick

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hog Wild is starting! http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The real main event, the good motorcycle vs evil motorcycle match is starting now.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Off-topic but what is the source of the image on that channel that looks like early TNA.

Is there a video of the full segment anywhere, and is it as bad as that gif implies?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

spongeh posted:

Off-topic but what is the source of the image on that channel that looks like early TNA.

Is there a video of the full segment anywhere, and is it as bad as that gif implies?

Every other TNA weekly PPV there is a segment called THE INTERROGATORS where Don West and Mike Tenay sit down with a wrestler and fire off lightning round style questions while the wrestler says the first thing that pops into their head. The results are often humorous.

Mike Tenay: Paul Heyman
Kid Kash: uh.... JEWISH

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
The Benoit/Malenko match is fascinating to me. It might be the most tone deaf match to an audience ever. They booked 2 overtimes; they continue to work a New Japan juniors workrate match to a crowd that could not give a gently caress. Like if it was a hot crowd it could be a classic but with what you got it's boring as hell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Willninho posted:

The Benoit/Malenko match is fascinating to me. It might be the most tone deaf match to an audience ever. They booked 2 overtimes; they continue to work a New Japan juniors workrate match to a crowd that could not give a gently caress. Like if it was a hot crowd it could be a classic but with what you got it's boring as hell.

Well the two overtime thing is kinda bullshit. It's one thing to have a good long match, it's another to basically just interrupt it twice to no consequence.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Willninho posted:

Isn't one of the Road Wild matches on the Benoit DVD? Is it that one?

It's not necessarily like Benoit and Malenko were going to work any other kind of match, or that they necessarily should.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They didn't seem to give a gently caress about the match but the only thig they actually booed was the announcing of the draw/end of first OT iirc, and rightfully so. What the gently caress is the point of overtime in a single fall match, and why do it in intervals?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Isn't one of the Road Wild matches on the Benoit DVD? Is it that one?

It's not necessarily like Benoit and Malenko were going to work any other kind of match, or that they necessarily should.

The point of those Road Wild show should have been to have 3 hours of hoss-offs and lots of leather and scantily-clad women. Even WCW couldn't get that right.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

PV shows come and go, with a few new ones every month. Whether they are good or bad, because there are so many, few leave any kind of a lasting impression.

However, the WCW Great American Bash show on 6/16 was one of those rare exceptions. It's hard to believe that a WCW show could be compared with shows on the level of the J Cup, but this show, for angles, was the single best PPV show ever. For wrestling, it was very good as well.

Even though there were several good to excellent matches, there were three angles that stole the show.

1) Steve McMichael turned on Kevin Greene and became the fourth member of the Horsemen

2) Kevin Nash choke slammed Eric Bischoff off the ramp and through a table after Scott Hall punched him in the stomach

3) After Chris Benoit beat Kevin Sullivan in a falls count anywhere match that wound up in a bathroom, Arn Anderson hit the ring and teased turning on Benoit, but instead turned on Sullivan, which got an amazing crowd response

quote:

4. Dean Malenko (Dean Simon) retained the cruiserweight title pinning Rey Misterio Jr. (Oscar Gonzales) in 17:50. This was the best wrestling match on the show and an excellent technical match. It wasn't the right match to do in that it was a great Malenko style mat wrestling match. Misterio Jr. showed he was versatile enough as a worker that he be put in a position where he's not doing Mexican style and still have an excellent match. However, it was Misterio Jr.'s debut and he's got far more potential to get over and they should have to his stylistic strengths. Someone whose potential niche if he gets over like Misterio Jr. as being more of an attraction star (like a reverse Andre the Giant) and a kids and ethnic hero can't do any jobs until they are over or fans won't believe in them, even as little as jobs mean nowadays. No matter how much charisma Chavez had, if he had lost his first two big matches on American PPV, a 145-pound guy whose main appeal was to Mexicans would have never become for a time the biggest box office draw in boxing. Anyway, his "Tiger Mask" potential is already done to casual fans because they saw him in his debut against what fans perceive as a mid-level guy and he lost twice. After this match and even more after Nitro leaves one with the impression he's a kid with a few cute moves but no threat to anyone important. Malenko did a great job working on Misterio's left arm with various slams and submissions. However, by 10:00 in, fans were getting tired of it even though it was all solid and well executed. They picked up for Misterio's big moves, including a springboard somersault to the floor, a springboard dropkick and a Frankensteiner off the top before Malenko got the pin using a power bomb with his legs on the ropes. Most in WCW that had never seen him before and were skeptical of him seeing how small he was when he showed up wound up raving about this match. However, he showed less charisma than I've seen of him in any match in a long time. ****

quote:

Then came those two large dreaded nameless heels known as "We know who they are." The men with no name came out to a big babyface pop. Then, as a way to avert a threatened lawsuit, both men said clearly that they don't work for the World Wrestling Federation and said to forget about the past and talk about the future. After Bischoff accepted the challenge and announced the match for Bash at the Beach, Scott Hall punched Bischoff in the stomach and Kevin Nash power bombed him through a table. This got a babyface pop among some fans, but left others pretty much stunned. It was sold great as Schiavone left the broadcast position and Rhodes did a strong unity of the promotion interview. The fans still mainly cheered Hall and Nash when they left.

quote:

Dean Malenko again beat Rey Misterio Jr. in 8:42. Good match but it made no sense and again Misterio Jr. didn't look anywhere close to as good as he usually does (***1/4).

I remember them running hype videos of him flipping around. Pitty they couldn't book him to win matches.

quote:

Rock & Roll Express, Psicosis, Rey Misterio Jr. and La Parka are all scheduled for Disney tapings in July.

Rock and Roll exrpess blow a spot, and one of those other guys gets thrown into a trailer. :wcw:

edit: The main event for the bash is Hall/Nash/??? v Sting/Luger/Savage and that Hogan is wrestling the Giant at Hog Wild so the pieces are being lined up, if not in place yet.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 28, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A midget in a mask? That'll never get over! I don't see this Misterio guy sticking around very long even if he stole Scott Steiner's signature move.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Less than a month before we start seeing nWo in the Observer archives! YESSSSS

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
It's funny because WWE didn't even book Rey that well when they got him, either. Rey is one of those guys who seems to get over despite WCW/WWE thinking "meh he's so small, how can anyone like this guy???"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

2) Kevin Nash choke slammed Eric Bischoff off the ramp and through a table after Scott Hall punched him in the stomach
Bischoff was actually powerbombed

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris Gaines posted:

He says that in the actual report, no clue why he wrote that in the introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Chris Gaines posted:

You say "powerbomb," I say "lazily dropped from a jackknife position."