Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lum posted:

Guessing the "spinning disc" think refers to the spinning beachball effect that Macs do in place of the Windows XP eggtimer or the Vista/7/8 swirly blue O thing. If you don't realise the beachball is supposed to be a 3D sphere it would look like a spinning disc.

Funnily enough the beachball/pinwheel traces its lineage back to a spinning MO disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

~Coxy posted:

Funnily enough the beachball/pinwheel traces its lineage back to a spinning MO disc.

Our editors so lovingly refer to it as "the spinny ball of death"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

frogbert posted:

My problem with this is that disabling UAC doesn't do anything. It effectively just automatically clicks "no" on each UAC prompt. You don't get any more permissions, stuff just fails silently.

This also makes it a bitch to do desktop support for too because you don't get a prompt for administrator credentials when you need to mess with some settings.

Typically disabling UAC goes hand-in-hand with local admin access, so it effectively grants apps the same open access they'd have had on a default XP setup.

There's no excuse for it these days, anything that hasn't been updated in years obviously isn't changing or likely supported, so it shouldn't be hard to determine what specific permissions it actually needs and grant those instead. Anything still under active development which requires or even recommends that UAC be disabled on the other hand is simply a steaming pile of incompetence, from those developing it to those refusing to replace it with something else and sometimes those in IT who aren't properly explaining why its inexcusably bad and should not be allowed to continue.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Finally got caught up on the last locked YOSPOS pic thread and couldn't believe this hasn't been posted here yet...

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

guppy posted:

I did finally manage to catch up with him and he says it's Outlook. (Of course, his descriptions so far have of limited accuracy, so who knows, but it's somewhere to start.) He still hasn't actually managed to bring the machine back in for me to look at.

Had a similar issue. Turns out that Outlook was using a HTTPS connection that the mac was sending through a proxy and causing delays with timeouts and things being set poorly.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I just successfully P2V'd a server I've tried P2Ving for nearly 2 years. It would always fail with some different error; turns out one of the pieces of software on the machine were actively watching for the VMware Converter process and breaking it somehow. I'm not sure if this is the vendor saying they don't support VMs or what, but the support guy who has been working with me on it said he'd never seen the problem before, so we won't be losing any of our support agreements.

At any rate, I feel extremely good about myself right now and I think it's time for a nap and then a beer when I wake up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Agrikk posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: Dirty monitors.

I'm working on a Visio diagram and I move a group of images from here to there on my screen, except one little hyphen that stays behind.

I can't select it, whether I use the mouse to grab the area or control-A to select all. I've gone through all the layers of my document but it still sticks there.

After what seems like hours of frustration (two minutes ish) I realize it's a bit of cardboard fiber stuck to my screen.

:argh:

That kind of a day.

I have a piece of dirt on my computer that looks like an umlaut and manages to position itself on top of vowels. At first it was really annoying because it kept tricking me and any special characters will royally screw up the tools that we use, but after a while it kind of grew on me.

I can't stand sharing desks with other people. I have no idea what everyone else does to this computer when I'm gone (we're a 24 hour operation), every time I clean it, it's full of dirt marks again by the end of the week.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Potato Alley posted:

Sorry for the slight derail, but this is interesting to me - there's a very common construction in Pennsylvania and the surrounding area where people omit saying "to be", usually after the verb needs (as in "this needs washed"), but I didn't know there were any examples of similar omission in British English usage. Is "wanting rid of" common?

The 'wanting rid of it' thing is fairly common in all areas of British English, but I've heard variations like 'this needs cleaned' from Northern England (e.g. Cumbria) and Scotland.

On topic, all of our students (tens of thousands) had their email migrated from live@edu to office365. All that's changed is the location of the login page. We took a weeks worth of phone calls in one day yesterday because students don't read the emails warning them of upcoming changes. I haven't done anything IT related for weeks - all I do is tell people passwords and URLs, and my working day is a constant battle not to just up and gently caress off out the door (I've got a family to feed, so can't, yet). Apologies for slight E/N.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Toxteth OGrady posted:

The 'wanting rid of it' thing is fairly common in all areas of British English, but I've heard variations like 'this needs cleaned' from Northern England (e.g. Cumbria) and Scotland.

On topic, all of our students (tens of thousands) had their email migrated from live@edu to office365. All that's changed is the location of the login page. We took a weeks worth of phone calls in one day yesterday because students don't read the emails warning them of upcoming changes. I haven't done anything IT related for weeks - all I do is tell people passwords and URLs, and my working day is a constant battle not to just up and gently caress off out the door (I've got a family to feed, so can't, yet). Apologies for slight E/N.

Our school just made this change as well, I would hate to be tech support there right about now. At least while they were changing things they also changed our LMS from Angel to Desire2Learn, so we can all stop using IE6 just to submit assignments and download lecture notes! (If you've never had the pleasure of using Angel, it's like blackboard only ten thousand times more poorly written):

iframes in iframes in iframes in iframes

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Welp, today's my last day testing / developing an app for a very angry customer whose going to start demanding a partial refund if it's not done by Friday. Leaving tonight for an interview in a different state :ssh:

Can't wait for Monday, regardless of whether or not I get this job...

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Our school just made this change as well, I would hate to be tech support there right about now. At least while they were changing things they also changed our LMS from Angel to Desire2Learn, so we can all stop using IE6 just to submit assignments and download lecture notes! (If you've never had the pleasure of using Angel, it's like blackboard only ten thousand times more poorly written):

Holy hell in a handbasket, dem iframes! Blackboard is our LMS, so I haven't had much exposure to the alternatives, something I'm very glad of looking at that screenshot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moodle seems to be the go-to LMS of choice for UK universities. Does the job decently enough.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Dillbag posted:

Finally got caught up on the last locked YOSPOS pic thread and couldn't believe this hasn't been posted here yet...

"Fiber cut ... Verizon dispatching technicians ... No ETR"

My mental picture is that on both sides of the connection, there was a multiplexer torn off the wall and a very confused technician.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So they updated our ticketing system. First they made it so that you have the option that every update would send an email to the customer with the update. Of course this sucks if your update is log entries etc. We do a lot of emailing anyway, so that added an address that you can cc a case to, and it would add the notes to the ticket in the subject line. However, they just decided to make that address the main address, and that any email sent to that address would create a ticket if there wasn't and existing ticket in the subject line. Ug. Aside from the whole out of office alert creating infinite tickets, we are having big issues with ticket quality, because all our tier 1 does is copy the email into the ticket, make a snap decision on the severity and the product it refers to and send it up. Add to the fact that we cannot lower the severity on a ticket without management approval, and wow this is taking too much of my time.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Yesterday, the network went down at one of our "remote" sites. It's ten miles away, but it took an hour before anyone looked at the ticket, and another half an hour for someone to drive down there. About 12 hours later, we got the message from the networking guy that it had been fixed by upgrading some switches, and this morning the sysadmin lead confirmed that it was back up.

It went down again when people started showing up for work, and here's what happens when you traceroute one of the workstations:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Excellent. That's what a traceroute looked like when someone broke into the comms room at one of the Universities here and stole a few racks of Cisco gear.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

My school uses desire2learn and it's a horribly slow and convoluted mess that silently fails assignment submissions and other poo poo. It's probably better than Angel and about as lovely as blackboard if not a bit worse.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Galler posted:

My school uses desire2learn and it's a horribly slow and convoluted mess that silently fails assignment submissions and other poo poo. It's probably better than Angel and about as lovely as blackboard if not a bit worse.

I haven't started using it yet as we switched for this year, but we're using the latest version and it seems okay so far from my poking around. Far better than angel, in any case. I really hope it isn't as bad as you say it is, as that would probably mean there are no decent ones anywhere. I've used blackboard, angel, and whatever the open text one is called and they're all terrible. Worst case I can go egg the D2L offices as I live in the same town!

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

An email came in posted:

I have a question not related to work...

Is there any way on Twitter to recover or view someone else's "tweet" after they've deleted it?

I don't know why she's asking and I don't want to know. I just said, "Not as far as I know" and washed my hands of it.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
HR person, you really don't need to make the HILARIOUS "don't say I never give you anything~!" joke every time you give us your monthly backup disc or our payslips. Really. I've heard it at least once a month for the past 6.5 years.
I know I've ranted about it in the poo poo thread a few times as well, but I've heard it so much it makes me want to stab myself repeatedly in the forehead with a spoon.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

here's what happens when you traceroute one of the workstations:

Better try -h 300 just to be sure.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
A ticket didn't come in....

I'm setting up some desktops for a couple of temporary staff we're expecting. This is technically 'above my pay grade' but I'll do it because it's actually interesting and stops me from going mental. They were imaged/installed by the 'proper' technicians, I'm just setting up outlook and AD U&C on them.

One of them, has 8GB of RAM, and a 32 bit OS. wtf?

I had to jump through soooo many hoops just to get 4GB and x64. I'm presuming that that particular machine previously belonged to one of the devs, was redeployed/reimaged with the standard x86 image, and no one but me knows that its got 4x as much RAM as standard.

Now where's my screwdriver?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boss is a moron. This APC UPS sends an email that the battery failed. I want to replace it.

"That's impossible. It's only 8 months old."

Maybe it was defective?

"So-and-so just replaced it. Here's the email invoice of when I bought the battery."

Okay, well it's defective we need to RMA it.

"There must be something else wrong. It's not that old."

IT'S DEFECTIVE YOU gently caress

He has been an rear end about this for like...3 months.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bob Morales posted:

Boss is a moron. This APC UPS sends an email that the battery failed. I want to replace it.

Maybe it was defective?

"So-and-so just replaced it. Here's the email invoice of when I bought the battery."

Schedule a poweroff test with Facilities.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

SEKCobra posted:

Our ANÄ Laptops are on metal tables with wheels, glued and locked to them. Maybe this can help you as well? Prevents both stealing and dropping, sadly not dumbassery.
Also, just asking them where they are right now usually works, we just have a p-touch label with the name on them.

We have some carts that we could put them in that are actually for Computer-on-wheels type of situations, but they're pretty limited in space. They have a small metal table on the side of the anesthesia cart that it normally sits. Not sure why they move them at all, they should just sit there unless there's something physically broken.

For the computer names, I've just made it standard to put a p-touch label in the upper right corner of the monitor. The labels are formatted like this:

Computer name:
ORLAP-01
and yet, when you ask for the computer name, they still ask how to find it. It's staring them in the face and says 'computer name' right there on the label. :ughh:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

TWBalls posted:

We have some carts that we could put them in that are actually for Computer-on-wheels type of situations, but they're pretty limited in space. They have a small metal table on the side of the anesthesia cart that it normally sits. Not sure why they move them at all, they should just sit there unless there's something physically broken.

For the computer names, I've just made it standard to put a p-touch label in the upper right corner of the monitor. The labels are formatted like this:

Computer name:
ORLAP-01
and yet, when you ask for the computer name, they still ask how to find it. It's staring them in the face and says 'computer name' right there on the label. :ughh:

Well mate, let me tell you, even here on pretty much the other side of the planet, Doctors and especially anesthesiologists are still the biggest loving idiots to have work with IT. We are still migrating from PACS to IMPAX 4, even tho IMPAX was officially declared prod about 2 years ago, but every special butterfly still needs to work with PACS because the interface changed (from crappy metal texture to dark grey). When they have issues it's protocol to update to IMPAX and remove PACS. (If IMPAX is already on there, just remove PACS)
Once a doctor talked down to me for like 10 minutes after I told him that I upgraded them to IMPAX which they should have been using for 2 years, he then demanded I fix PACS instead. Simply escalated to our PACS guy and left them fuckers there, go use another PC if you need your precious old software. Can't wait for that dying software to disappear, but they are making it real hard for us.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I made a little Powershell script that pops the computer name up in a dialog box on the middle of the screen, and deployed a shortcut to it on everyone's desktops.

People still struggle to find the icon, but it's easier than the alternatives.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Caged posted:

I made a little Powershell script that pops the computer name up in a dialog box on the middle of the screen, and deployed a shortcut to it on everyone's desktops.

Our office IT has a tool to send messages to (all) PCs, but obviously medical IT no get because of possible abuse. Weird thing that rollout day there were insults to doctors not only on all PCs but also all patient name monitors...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe it was defective?

What's his name, my roommate works tech support at APC and I'll warn him :v:

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Caged posted:

We use BGInfo for this purpose and have the computer name, IP addresses and other important poo poo displayed on the desktop.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

fatman1683 posted:

We use BGInfo for this purpose and have the computer name, IP addresses and other important poo poo displayed on the desktop.

This actually works really well. It doesn't matter if I'm talking to a cook or an analyst or even a manager, they can find that big old number at the top right hand side of the screen.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Jesus christ, there are windows admins out there that still don't know about custom views in the event viewer? Do people still click around the default views to find issues?

I think my coworker just cried when I showed him that this thing exists.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Jesus christ, there are windows admins out there that still don't know about custom views in the event viewer? Do people still click around the default views to find issues?

I think my coworker just cried when I showed him that this thing exists.

There are still windows admins that don't know DCpromo, and promoting domain controllers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There are a lot of Windows folks out there lacking in knowledge.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
And some (all) of us have worked for them.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Put another way, it's not difficult to be an excellent Windows admin.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

There are still windows admins that don't know DCpromo, and promoting domain controllers.

Good for them since it got removed in 2012 they aren't wrong anymore :haw:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

TWBalls posted:

Computer name:
ORLAP-01

When you see something day-in/day-out that is unimportant to your work, you tune it out. It is not surprising at all that they don't know where it is.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Alereon posted:

No but seriously I like xkcd and I don't get all the hate. It has artistry, it's just not pretty. Time is certainly something, even if it's not a thing for you.

Thanks for this. I just spent the last while watching it through this viewer and it was pretty cool. I've always liked his simplistic drawings that are somehow compelling when they tell a bigger story...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
"can u give me a call 555-555-5555 we are about to start the push"

Oh sure gonna get right on that.

• Locked thread