Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

revtoiletduck posted:

And the movie would make literally one billion dollars.

Michael Bay, Justin Bieber and Jersey Shore are evidence that we need to nuke ourselves and start over.

Perhaps we should create a large building that serves as a gateway to the netherworld to summon Gozer the Destroyer as society is too sick to survive. Just try not to think about marshmallows, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

revtoiletduck posted:

And the movie would make literally one billion dollars.

That wouldn't surprise me, Dark of the Moon grossed over a billion.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Michael Bay, Justin Bieber and Jersey Shore are evidence that we need to nuke ourselves and start over.
Dude, can we not do the depressing ages old song and dance about the plebes, in the animated robots thread?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
MTMTE 20 preview out. poo poo's getting weird.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Artist Tom Whalen will be having a timed release for his Transformers The Movie print. I think it's pretty snazzy:

http://www.acidfreegallery.com/transformers-the-movie-by-tom-whalen/

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Dude, can we not do the depressing ages old song and dance about the plebes, in the animated robots thread?

I was kidding. I don't seriously plan to resurrect Gozer the Gozerian and re-enact the plot of Ghostbusters.

I kinda wish I didn't have to explain that, though. :sigh:

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Artist Tom Whalen will be having a timed release for his Transformers The Movie print. I think it's pretty snazzy:

Those Acid Free prints are always sexy as hell. I should order one or two sometime.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

GD_American posted:

MTMTE 20 preview out. poo poo's getting weird.

'The Wreckers done right'? Sounds like another one of Prowl's little projects.

Also, the Tyrest cover is kind of terrifying.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was kidding. I don't seriously plan to resurrect Gozer the Gozerian and re-enact the plot of Ghostbusters.

I kinda wish I didn't have to explain that, though.
Just as I didn't wish for an entire marshmallow man of irony.

And drat that Tyrest cover is freaky. I am glad though that what he said in the earlier issue was already contradicted in the preview.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I will just continue to ignore the bay movies and hope beyond hope the new TV series is actually good. Prime was pretty boring and unremarkable.

Pacific Rim showed how to do a giant robot movie properly, I don't even think TF4 will event come close to what PR had to offer.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I think that print is awesome, but not 50 dollars worth of awesome. Shame too, if that thing was 30 I would be all over it.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I will just continue to ignore the bay movies and hope beyond hope the new TV series is actually good. Prime was pretty boring and unremarkable.

Pacific Rim showed how to do a giant robot movie properly, I don't even think TF4 will event come close to what PR had to offer.

Pacific Rim is the example I pull out when people complain that there's no original ideas left in Hollywood. Pacific Rim was a great movie; and should have opened the doors to more giant robot movies. And then it got beaten by Grown Ups 2, which proves people don't support new ideas.

Arsenal_12 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 28, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Arsenal_12 posted:

Pacific Rim is the example I pull out when people complain that there's no original ideas left in Hollywood. Pacific Rim was a great movie; and should have opened the doors to more giant robot movies. And then it got beaten by Grown Ups 2, which proves people don't support new ideas.

I really, REALLY wish that giant robots would become a Hollywood genre like superheroes are. Superheroes have been part of American pop culture much longer, though, and Hollywood considered them a joke up until the late 90s\early 2000s. The mecha genre is a Japanese thing, as is the daikaiju genre, which is even more disdained as most Americans won't go see "some stupid movie with a guy in a rubber lizard suit."

Sometimes I fantasize about mostly faithful live-action adaptations of Gundam 0079, Macross and Evangelion but that'll never happen. Pacific Rim was the closest I'll ever get, and I really, really hope it's not the last time I see the genre represented on the big screen.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
It wasn't exactly a moneymaker, but I would be surprised if a Pacific Rim 2 didn't happen. Considering it did as well as it did internationally off of a new IP with horrendously terrible marketing, a sequel would probably be a financial success.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I wouldn't exactly call Pacific Rim an original idea, I mean the plot is basically Power Rangers. New to Hollywood yeah, but like Gammatron said that concept's been a thing in Japan for decades. Still the more Hollywood diversifies the better. And I think I remember reading somewhere that a sequel was likely based on the strong international performance of the first.

To bring this back to robots that are better because they can transform, I got a shipping notice on my reissue Predaking from Hasbro Toy Shop, it's supposed going to get here tomorrow. The site has them in stock now if anyone was holding off on the pre-ordering. The Predacons were the only major combiner team I never had any of as a kid, so I'm looking forward to it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Knormal posted:

I wouldn't exactly call Pacific Rim an original idea, I mean the plot is basically Power Rangers. New to Hollywood yeah, but like Gammatron said that concept's been a thing in Japan for decades.

Nobody's calling it new in terms of its concept, it's new in terms of putting a AAA budget behind a genre that has never had much more than a C-list budget before. Japan's been doing it for decades, but they've never done it as well as or on the scale of Pacific Rim. It's also valuable in the sense that it showed old school robot design can work in live action, no matter what Michael Bay thinks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So you guys were right. I landed last night in New Orleans, drove up to Baton Rouge, stopped in Walmart to get some shower gel/shampoo, and of course, went to the toy aisle. Springer, Blitzwang, Hoist, Thundercracker. I shall spend well here. Now just waiting for 10am to roll round so I can go hit up TRU. :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sometimes I fantasize about mostly faithful live-action adaptations of Gundam 0079, Macross and Evangelion but that'll never happen. Pacific Rim was the closest I'll ever get, and I really, really hope it's not the last time I see the genre represented on the big screen.
I think 08th MS Team would make a good live action film and appeal to American audiences reasonably well, too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I think 08th MS Team would make a good live action film and appeal to American audiences reasonably well, too.

Yeah, it would. I'd really like to see 0079 made though, as it sets up the whole universe and is already a movie trilogy so it shouldn't be that hard to adapt, but Amuro is the original moody teenage anime kid, and he would probably be anathema to western audiences unless they go with the version from the books who was more of a stoic soldier than a whiny nerd civilian. I would also be OK with them shrinking the size of the Mobile Suits to about 20'-30' instead of 60' and having less bright pastel color schemes for "realism", too.

But I digress, this isn't Gundam talk.

Maybe someday we'll get a proper Transformers movie. Maybe. I can always dream... however unfortunately now that the Bay movies are the version of Transformers most well known to the mainstream, this is what we're going to have to expect for a long time. :negative:

The Bay movies weren't just bad, they actually ruined most future iterations of Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. I used to really like those characters!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The bay movies were the ones that started the flood of Bumblebee figures also. Seriously we have three versions of Bumblebee in Generations 2.0 already, there was three in original generations and we had two in RTS(which was a line of 13 figures and two had to be Bumblebee).

This isn't counting Cliffjumper who usually is a Bumblebee repaint of some kind, in which case you have way more Bumblebee repaints.

Honestly I'd say the definitive version of Bumblebee is the Generation Legends one. He's closer in size to the original toy, looks pretty accurate to g1 Bumblebee being depicted in the comics, and he comes with a gun that transforms into a helicopter.

And it baffles me they would release a Deluxe Bumblebee that uses the movie Alt Mode but has the g1 head and body style. Not only that but to repaint it as Goldbug.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 28, 2013

Podges
Nov 25, 2002

Auuugh. More Than Meets the Eye this week is a killer. Waiting for the next issue is going to be a bitch.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Honestly I'd say the definitive version of Bumblebee is the Generation Legends one. He's closer in size to the original toy, looks pretty accurate to g1 Bumblebee being depicted in the comics, and he comes with a gun that transforms into a helicopter.

And it baffles me they would release a Deluxe Bumblebee that uses the movie Alt Mode but has the g1 head and body style. Not only that but to repaint it as Goldbug.

Whats cool about that legends Bumblebee is that Blazemaster is both a reference to the micromaster, as also functions as Action Master Bumblebee's helicopter backpack! I had an AM Bumblebee as a kid so I really, really like the callback.

And as for the Deluxe Bumblebee, he has that form in the comics for a while, and they just gave him that body back to match the new Goldbug toy, erm, I mean, Goldfire.

I still really like the G1 and IDW Bumblebees and will say that they're good characters. Unfortunately, that yellow mute beeping bastard also shares the name Bumblebee, and he gives the old 'Bee a bad name. Call me a GEE WUNNER, a terrible TFW quality poster, whatever, but as far as I'm concerned, modern Bumblebee is just an bad imposter and not the real thing. Same thing goes for the overly stoic, dramatic and sometimes psychotically violent Optimus.

(Again, I'm not a G1 purist though as Primal is a separate character and thus doesn't count and TFA Prime is also a valid interpretation of the character. Also characters like Megatron and Starscream have actually improved over the years.)

Podges posted:

Auuugh. More Than Meets the Eye this week is a killer. Waiting for the next issue is going to be a bitch.

I feel you. MTMTE kinda has a tendency to do that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So that was disappointing. I walk into TRU at 10am, wander to the TFs, there's only 2 Acid Storms on the shelf, so I wander to guest services to ask if they have Soundwave and there's 2 behind her on the shelf. I ask for one, expecting them to be reserved, but she just rings me up!

So anticlimactic. What am I going to do with the rest of my stay? :( on the plus side, MP Soundwave with no hassle!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gammatron 64 posted:

In an age where CGI has rendered high-quality models and stop-motion obsolete, even a "live action" adaptation will just be a high-quality cartoon anyway. It's part of the reason the TF movies look like garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

So that was disappointing. I walk into TRU at 10am, wander to the TFs, there's only 2 Acid Storms on the shelf, so I wander to guest services to ask if they have Soundwave and there's 2 behind her on the shelf. I ask for one, expecting them to be reserved, but she just rings me up!

So anticlimactic. What am I going to do with the rest of my stay? :( on the plus side, MP Soundwave with no hassle!

Has your mental picture of America been utterly shattered by the ease of which you attained your Soundwave?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gammatron 64 posted:

I feel you. MTMTE kinda has a tendency to do that.

It's very moreish, isn't it?

Honestly I'm kind of anticipating this being reset sooner or later, given some of the characters affected. Or one in particular.

On the bright side, I think we finally get to see what's in Brainstorm's briefcase! Getaway pulled the clasps off, and it went flying...

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 28, 2013

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The_Doctor posted:

Look at all the time and effort you wasted, jeez why didn't you get it from eBay! (did you use a coupon?)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Phy posted:

It's very moreish, isn't it?

Honestly I'm kind of anticipating this being reset sooner or later, given some of the characters affected. Or one in particular.

Yeah, there no way they're offing Prowl and Starscream so that should mean it gets shut down and everyone else is safe too. Unless it's proximity based perhaps, in which case boo hiss at losing Brainstorm and Blaster. Still, if nothing else, it was strangely heartwarming to see Soundwave desperately pleading for help while cradling Ravage's body in his arms. It's probably the only time I can recall him showing anything approaching niceness/decency in 30 years of stories.

So casualties so far:

* Ambulon
* Ultra Magnus
* Dai Atlas

Could be worse really, was expecting a much higher body count by this point!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Just wanted to say thanks for using spoiler tags. Forgot to buy and read the issue before heading to work today.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, there no way they're offing Prowl and Starscream so that should mean it gets shut down and everyone else is safe too. Unless it's proximity based perhaps, in which case boo hiss at losing Brainstorm and Blaster. Still, if nothing else, it was strangely heartwarming to see Soundwave desperately pleading for help while cradling Ravage's body in his arms. It's probably the only time I can recall him showing anything approaching niceness/decency in 30 years of stories.

So casualties so far:

* Ambulon
* Ultra Magnus
* Dai Atlas

Could be worse really, was expecting a much higher body count by this point!

Yeah, at this point we all sort of know how this is going to end.

Starscream and Prowl can't get killed off so they will stop Tyrest in the end, and Tailgate will almost certainly become Ultra Magnus as Roberts is really strongly foreshadowing it unless he's purposely trying to mislead us. Tailgate is even the same color scheme as G1 Magnus's inner robot and has a mouthplate and almost resembles him if you squint your eyes.

Ratchet turning a corpse into a weapon was also awesome.

I hope Rodimus kills the gently caress outta Tyrest.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Oh my. MTMTE20 has the single saddest pannel. :smith:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Skids back story is loving AWESOME

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

strangehamster posted:

Look at all the time and effort you wasted, jeez why didn't you get it from eBay! (did you use a coupon?)

There were coupons? :ohdear: I was more concerned about just getting into my grubby little protuberances.

Podges
Nov 25, 2002

SpikeMcclane posted:

Oh my. MTMTE20 has the single saddest pannel. :smith:

I actually made a little sad noise at that one. :smith:

And should we change the thread title to 'James Roberts is a bit of a bastard'?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
We want to encourage people to read his comics
Let them discover how hard JR can break your heart and destroy all you love on their own.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
MTMTE 21 speculation, what if Rodimus ends up biting it? I've seen a lot of talk that his matrix bearing spark will give back all the life the switch took, like when he stepped on Luna-1, in exchange for his life.

drat you Roberts, I was so looking foward to Daj Atlas being Rodimus' new third in charge too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Podges posted:

I actually made a little sad noise at that one. :smith:

And should we change the thread title to 'James Roberts is a bit of a bastard'?

We're starting to run out of characters for him to kill off.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, James Roberts is the British Yoshiyuki Tomino.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Alright.

Who is it in the last panel?

Gammatron 64 posted:

We're starting to run out of characters for him to kill off.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, James Roberts is the British Yoshiyuki Tomino.

It's a point in his favor with me. It's a frigging war story- people die.

Not to mention perpetual plot immortality leads to reader complacence. You never know if someone might die, you get that much more attached.

Podges
Nov 25, 2002

Veg posted:

MTMTE 21 speculation, what if Rodimus ends up biting it? I've seen a lot of talk that his matrix bearing spark will give back all the life the switch took, like when he stepped on Luna-1, in exchange for his life.

drat you Roberts, I was so looking foward to Daj Atlas being Rodimus' new third in charge too.

I don't want any characters in this to die. But I read Wreckers, I know what we could be in for.

And I was so pleased to see the Scavengers back! And then a few panels on just going "oh. Of course." :smith:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Yonic Symbolism posted:

We want to encourage people to read his comics
Let them discover how hard JR can break your heart and destroy all you love on their own.

I just picked up the first trade this weekend because of the folks in this thread; looking forward to digging into it!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

It's a point in his favor with me. It's a frigging war story- people die.

Not to mention perpetual plot immortality leads to reader complacence. You never know if someone might die, you get that much more attached.

That wasn't meant as criticism. If I were a writer, I would actually delight in writing depressing stories about people with emotional problems and get people attached to characters only to kill them off. (It should come to no surprise that I really like Zeta Gundam and Evangelion.) I loving love Roberts' work and would probably try to emulate his and Tomino's style.

That said, if you criticize anything James Roberts does, the fandom has a tendency to pounce on you immediately. I love 95% of his comic immensely and recommend it to everyone but if I have a tiny nitpick like "Eh, I dunno how I feel about an evil Star Saber" people are like "BWAAAAAH HOW DARE YOU QUESTION HIM?!?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

That said, if you criticize anything James Roberts does, the fandom has a tendency to pounce on you immediately. I love 95% of his comic immensely and recommend it to everyone but if I have a tiny nitpick like "Eh, I dunno how I feel about an evil Star Saber" people are like "BWAAAAAH HOW DARE YOU QUESTION HIM?!?!"
Yeah, like a year ago you could barely even get people to discuss the comics and now his works at sacrosanct. Even talking about how you appreciate how he's used ideas from AHM and the ongoing gets replies like "gently caress off Costa" on /co/.

Granted this isn't exclusive to the TF comic fandom. Read some of the posts about Hickman's recent output and it's amazingly binary.