Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Otisburg posted:

I mean why pick her instead of literally anyone else, fictional or not, living or not? It's not like they were going low key with Thomas Jefferson or The Mona Lisa. Of all the baffling poo poo about this, appropriating the missing and probably murdered woman is just the cherry on top.

So they didn't just do a GIS for images of people roughly avatar sized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I still think it's a bot. It's parameters probably specified an specific size for the images it grabbed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Bot with a list of names, GIS the first name, uses that? That's the only way I can see that Reese's bar ending up in there.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

They didn't photoshop the picture, you guys are being ridiculous. The picture they used is in the second row if you GIS "Alivia."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

epitasis posted:

They didn't photoshop the picture, you guys are being ridiculous. The picture they used is in the second row if you GIS "Alivia."

Alright, my bad. One of the articles posted a picture of her that was exactly the same but with a watermark on the right side and slightly wider dimensions. Somebody else must have shopped it off and then they grabbed that version from the net.

I guess this makes sense, it just searched 'peter' and 'thomas' and grabbed whatever it found. The images aren't the first for either of those GIS, but if you add on a specific size that makes it feasible.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
And GIS has a search parameter specifically for faces, so with that setting and common avatar dimensions, it's probably just whatever popped up first for that first name.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah I mean it's a really unfortunate mistake but I don't think it's a nefarious thing. At least not compared to the deliberate scamming.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah I mean it's a really unfortunate mistake but I don't think it's a nefarious thing. At least not compared to the deliberate scamming.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > OUYA- It's a really unfortunate mistake but I don't think it's a nefarious thing

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Werthog 95 posted:

Don't take this as an endorsement of that Sherlock game, but the creator seems to be way more forthcoming than the Gridiron people. Here he is talking about it in the comments of his own Kickstarter project, claiming ignorance, yet apparently pursuing it, instead of just washing his hands of the whole thing. If he isn't bullshitting, it looks like this one's on OUYA.

I exchange with the guy since a few days and if at first I gave him the benefit of the doubt, I know can say he is clearly hiding something.

He's been playing dumb for too long, and still refuses to acknowledge the hundreds of obviously fake accounts. Even in PM, he still tries to tell me these profile could be legitimate first time backers.

These last days, someone also started to fund more random projects through some of these fake profiles so they wouldn't look like it's their first project.

Now I'm back at the feeling that this guy knows very well what's going on and continues to play dumb.

I'm glad the news sites started relaying the rumors, giving him t least something to really worry about.

He keeps saying his only fear is that these profiles might be fake accounts created to troll his campaign, that would cancel their pledge later. Completely ignoring all our explanations about the fact that the benefactor of all these fake accounts is his project.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
I'm pretty sure you aren't able to cancel a pledge if it would make a project no longer be funded anyways.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cerevisiae posted:

I'm pretty sure you aren't able to cancel a pledge if it would make a project no longer be funded anyways.

You are, so long as it's more than 24 hours until the deadline.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Sam Chandola posted:

Hey folks!

Update: I have just heard back from Kickstarter on our query regarding the backers. They say that it is possible the first-time backers are Sherlock Holmes fans from our outreach, or the ones that came from our personal network and friends of friends.

I guess that's that then. They are all real people and that missing woman and the US state are just friends of friends and those dead presidents are just Sherlock Holmes fans. Sam seems happy to accept this, why aren't you?

Clarity
Feb 16, 2011

kemikalkadet posted:

I guess that's that then. They are all real people and that missing woman and the US state are just friends of friends and those dead presidents are just Sherlock Holmes fans. Sam seems happy to accept this, why aren't you?

I look forward to Ben Kuchera's next article being this, verbatim.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

kemikalkadet posted:

That seems to be basically Kickstarter's policy when it comes to blatant scams that have gotten across the funding line. I suspect that them prioritising the payday over the integrity of the projects is going to bite them on the arse eventually.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I took screenshots of all the fake Holmes backers that have mysteriously changed names and profile pics. Someone's been busy (besides me)...

http://imgur.com/a/ZdOji

But don't worry, I'm sure this happens *all the time*.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why would he do this? If it turns out really to be a scam, doesn't it just make him lose all kinds of credibility?

You can't lose something you don't have.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

frumpsnake posted:

I took screenshots of all the fake Holmes backers that have mysteriously changed names and profile pics. Someone's been busy (besides me)...

http://imgur.com/a/ZdOji

But don't worry, I'm sure this happens *all the time*.

Loving the memes used as real pictures

edit: Hey, one of these guys is supposedly from a pretty small town right by me. I should hit him up, ask what it's like to be a celebrity in hiding and what he thinks of this project.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Install Windows posted:

You are, so long as it's more than 24 hours until the deadline.

I kind of wonder about this, since OUYA seems to be saying that they've had projects already reach their funding goal, and all the references I've seen referred to it that way. Not that the Kickstarter actually gets funded, but reached their funding goal. If the fake backers back out a couple of days before the deadline, are the FTG funds still going to go to the devs?

But that just seems screwy.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Seems some of them also started backing other projects? Which would these be?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, I'm sure that users who created their accounts a week ago and all back one specific project will all suddenly decide to change their names and profile pictures all at the same time quite commonly. It's probably a pretty normal thing guys, nothing suspicious at all.

Like, "Alex Adams" clearly just had a typo when he made his account, and fixed it shortly thereafter to his proper name, John Gaelin.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 29, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

OUYA: 'Scam' is such a loaded word

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

The only logical explanation for all the fake accounts is money laundering and funding terrorism.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

According to the Holmes creator, apparently Kickstarter are perfectly happy with 65 already-suspicious user accounts up and changing their names+profiles:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Well I guess that settles it.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

frumpsnake posted:

According to the Holmes creator, apparently Kickstarter are perfectly happy with 65 already-suspicious user accounts up and changing their names+profiles:

If he gets the money, I'd say the same thing.

Then have a good life.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

frumpsnake posted:

They reached out further than anyone ever has. Someone should ask them why they're bothering to make a game when they've apparently perfected time traveling.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Why even set a profile picture? It's optional. Not only are they scamming, they're scamming poorly.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Sono posted:

Why even set a profile picture? It's optional. Not only are they scamming, they're scamming poorly.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ugh, Kickstarter is so enabling, and they are pretty much the golden boy of fundstarting

The sad thing is I keep hearing from people, and people with successful kickstarters at that, some who've posted in this very thread, that Kickstarter is going to peak or whatever but here's the thing. It's not. There will always be some new guy selling hopes and dreams and that's why the lack of transparency is "good" for KS.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

"Stop picking on Ouya, you guys" - Xbox co-founder Ed Fries.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

He's not only the co-founder of Xbox, but he's also receiving a poo poo ton of money from OUYA. Of course he is going to say that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Fixed that for you; can't for them, sadly.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Must have been something in the water at Microsoft back then. Remember that Xbox co-creator Kevin Bachus ended at Infinium Labs working on the Phantom.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CaptainCaveman posted:

I kind of wonder about this, since OUYA seems to be saying that they've had projects already reach their funding goal, and all the references I've seen referred to it that way. Not that the Kickstarter actually gets funded, but reached their funding goal. If the fake backers back out a couple of days before the deadline, are the FTG funds still going to go to the devs?

But that just seems screwy.

Well, there's also that if you pledge $1000 but your card only has $43 available it won't go past your credit limit or overdraft your debit card, the transaction will just fail. This doesn't get checked until after funding period is completed

Pachinko
Aug 23, 2013
Wow, so this representative is saying that the missing woman is a legitimate backer? Alright.
I'm going to get an Ouya just because of its video-playback capabilities, and its retro library.
If... If an Ouya 2.0 comes out, I'll be surprised, as this thread leads me to believe it ain't doing so well.

frumpsnake posted:

What missing woman? 'alivia das' and 'Palm Coast, FL' and that picture were all just typos.

Ah, makes sense. Sly devils.

Pachinko fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 29, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Install Windows posted:

Well, there's also that if you pledge $1000 but your card only has $43 available it won't go past your credit limit or overdraft your debit card, the transaction will just fail. This doesn't get checked until after funding period is completed

They still have to pay the fee that the $1000 would have incurred though right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alan Smithee posted:

They still have to pay the fee that the $1000 would have incurred though right?

Nope, they only pay it on transactions that go through

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Pachinko posted:

Wow, so this representative is saying that the missing woman is a legitimate backer? Alright.

What missing woman? 'alivia das' and 'Palm Coast, FL' and that picture were all just typos.

Pachinko
Aug 23, 2013

frumpsnake posted:

Wow. Probably retracted the identity with a new one when their scam went public, and media outlets were picking the story up. Investors might have got word as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Anyone have a listing if those backers are all pledging the same again with the additional pledge?

• Locked thread