Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Ace Crusher was the forerunner to the Stone Cold Stunner, for one.

oatgan posted:

Finishing sequences in matches, not finishing moves.
In fact, it was Michael "Purely Sexy" Hayes who suggested to Austin that he use a version of the Ace Crusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Sir Jebus posted:

Big Show threw Ziggler out of the ring during the Battle Royal Of Death, and Ziggler would have landed basically head first on the announcers table if Barret hadn't jumped up and caught him. But then Ziggler landed on Barrets arm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrqjdp_dnC8

To expand on how this derailed plans for Wade

quote:

In 2011, Barrett captured the WWE Intercontinental Championship and, as the former leader of The Nexus, was involved in a major storyline with John Cena.

But on the February 20th edition of Raw, Barrett suffered a serious dislocation of his elbow and it was reported that he would be out for at least six-to-eight weeks.

A much bleaker diagnosis was determined for Barrett’s injury as of late. According to PWInsider.com, Barrett underwent surgery for the dislocated elbow and he is not expected to return to the WWE for at least three-to-four months.

There was a chance that Barrett would make the WrestleMania XXVIII card in Miami if his recovery went well, but after this latest diagnosis, that is obviously out of the question.

PWInsider went on to report that there were plans on having a Money in the Bank match at WrestleMania XXVIII, and Barrett would get the famed briefcase for a future world-title shot at his discretion.

With Barrett’s prolonged absence from the WWE, the Money in the Bank match may be scrapped.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1089481-wwe-news-updated-injury-diagnosis-on-wade-barrett (I know bleacher report, but it saved me from typing it all out)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

In fact, it was Michael "Purely Sexy" Hayes who suggested to Austin that he use a version of the Ace Crusher.

thats a wwe re-write, he borrowed it from mikey whipwreck.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
More like Michael Hayes re-write. He has a habit of taking credit for a LOT of stuff.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Paulocaust posted:

Miz's booking has no bearing on why people hate him. As said earlier, he's just downright offensive in how unfunny and uncharismatic he is. Sure he's "outgoing", but he doesn't have a single quality that makes him entertaining on screen. I flipped through the channels one time back in like 2010 and he was holding the title over someone yelling about how awesome he is and started making his face shake, I guess to show how angry he was. It was such bad acting that I almost had a panic attack. Never mind the fact that he has absolutely the most punchable face I've ever seen.

As a heel champion who at the time was thought to work reasonably well (though in retrospect I agree that most of his above average matches were with superior workers) these things are actually assets; the problem was they never gave him any credibility to back it up.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Genuinely disliking someone because they're an annoying man child does not make them a good heel. I stopped watching WWE for 7 years because of poo poo like that. Triple H, Randy Orton and Paul Heyman are people I genuinely like, but I want to see their characters get their heads caved in. Miz is a face and I want to see the person, not the character, get his head caved in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"There's the kind of heat where they want to see you lose, and the kind of heat where they just don't want to see you." Miz has Tim Sylvia heat.

(By the way, what is the reason for Miz having his spot? Is he popular with kids? Is it because people like Kevin Dunn like the idea of the Miz?)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Halloween Jack posted:

"There's the kind of heat where they want to see you lose, and the kind of heat where they just don't want to see you." Miz has Tim Sylvia heat.

He may now; saying he did in 2010-early 2011 is a huge retcon, especially when the entire discussion is framed on "except for CSammich, everyone saw Miz as being good and deserving a bigger push than he got" in that time period.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

He may now; saying he did in 2010-early 2011 is a huge retcon, especially when the entire discussion is framed on "except for CSammich, everyone saw Miz as being good and deserving a bigger push than he got" in that time period.

i was also mostly not digging miz, except for his stuff with lawler.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I understand he was once better-regarded in PSP, but I only got back into wrestling in the past year and I don't know why they keep letting a guy who can't do an interview host half-hour long segments. I enjoy his ring work more than his talking.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Halloween Jack posted:

(By the way, what is the reason for Miz having his spot? Is he popular with kids? Is it because people like Kevin Dunn like the idea of the Miz?)

Perceived upside (his promos have gotten same-y) and does a ton of extra marketing/interview/other media work for WWE.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Thank you for admitting I am smarter than everyone else.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hirams Bitch posted:

Thank you for admitting I am smarter than everyone else.

You still don't get it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Halloween Jack posted:

I understand he was once better-regarded in PSP, but I only got back into wrestling in the past year and I don't know why they keep letting a guy who can't do an interview host half-hour long segments. I enjoy his ring work more than his talking.

Because despite what people on here (rightly) think about The Miz, he does a ton of outside work for WWE, his WWE film is the best selling one on DVD they've had in ages, his segments typically gain viewers, and every live show I go to inexplicably has tons of people chanting "MIZ IS AWESOME" and wearing his merchandise. Some people like The Miz. I don't know why, I don't know how, but they do. I think they're really trying to force the face turn with all The Miz TV segments, I wish they would stop.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't really pay attention to Miz segments, is he still doing the figure four? I'm not sure what was worse, AJ Styles as the new Nature Boy or the Miz.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

This may have been asked already, but I am interested in finding out more about Prince Devitt. Can anybody point me to a specific match or matches that he has had, or should I just check out stuff on you tube and daily motion?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Last_Taste posted:

This may have been asked already, but I am interested in finding out more about Prince Devitt. Can anybody point me to a specific match or matches that he has had, or should I just check out stuff on you tube and daily motion?

Just watch any match he's had this year.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What was the story behind Christian going to TNA from the WWE?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Just watch any match he's had this year.

don't do this. if you want to see why he's so praised try to find matches where he's a face (vs kota & low ki at latest tokyo dome is last real face match). his heel character is amazing but the matches aren't exactly blowaway

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bigass Moth posted:

I believe it was just that his contract was up and he was looking for a break from the constant touring. Plus he instantly became the a top guy in TNA, and it inflated his value for when he was ready to come back, so it worked out pretty well for him.

TL fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 28, 2013

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Last_Taste posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIwASBS424M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7wK9dlA62E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irhdAjxUkNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vzzFiCOC0

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 28, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Christian from about late-2003 to early-2005 was on a real roll and started getting hugely over, looked like he was going to be one of the next big guys in the company. WWE in traditional WWE fashion cut his legs out from under him to try and strengthen John Cena, and then shipped him back to the midcard but on SmackDown. A few months later, his contract expired, and TNA offered him better money, ostensibly to build the company around him as a top top guy (this did not last long), a lighter travel schedule (since they weren't touring and Christian already lived in the area), and the ability to do outside projects (he had aspirations of breaking into acting). He left WWE on unusually good terms, putting anyone over they wanted and even working extra shows, and when TNA turned out to be a worse gig than WWE, he came back essentially as a bigger star than when he'd left.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Shaman of Cum posted:

don't do this. if you want to see why he's so praised try to find matches where he's a face (vs kota & low ki at latest tokyo dome is last real face match). his heel character is amazing but the matches aren't exactly blowaway

Pretty much any of the Apollo 55 tag matches against The Golden Lovers work too

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Didn't know where to put this but: If you guys play SR:IV, I just found out one of the Genki show announcers, bobby, is voiced by Rob Van Dam. I never knew that, and he's surprisingly good at the voice over stuff, does a nice performance. Come for Rowdy Roddy Piper, stay for RVD's surprisingly well done voice work.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Bash Ironfist posted:

Didn't know where to put this but: If you guys play SR:IV, I just found out one of the Genki show announcers, bobby, is voiced by Rob Van Dam. I never knew that, and he's surprisingly good at the voice over stuff, does a nice performance. Come for Rowdy Roddy Piper, stay for RVD's surprisingly well done voice work.

I actually had to look that up; at first listen I'd have sworn it was Jesse Ventura on the mic. Then again, for a time I thought Ventura did color commentary in Blood Bowl, so... :shrug:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ShadowedFlames posted:

Then again, for a time I thought Ventura did color commentary in Blood Bowl, so... :shrug:

So it WASN'T just me. I knew it wasn't Jesse, but I swore it sounded really similar and no-one else heard it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I honestly think Christian is the only guy who actually benefited from a TNA run. Kurt Angle is spinning wheels/slowly going crazier, Booker T hated it, RVD was just collecting a paycheck, Hogan is making sure he stays paid etc, but Christian seemed to actually give a poo poo, maintain his work ethic and just like with WWE he left on good terms, well liked by everybody and was welcomed back to WWE with open arms (and had his incredible ECW run).

Bash Ironfist posted:

He did the voice in SR3 as well, and I was impressed that he actually put in some effort and didn't just do his own voice/personality.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 28, 2013

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
I was surprised as well, because RVD's "Bobby" voice sounded so much like Hogan (who ALSO did voice work in SR3) that I thought it was him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I was surprised as well, because RVD's "Bobby" voice sounded so much like Hogan (who ALSO did voice work in SR3) that I thought it was him.

Haha yeah, I made the same mistake.

It also reminds me of this video.

rappinrodney.ogg
Apr 24, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

So it WASN'T just me. I knew it wasn't Jesse, but I swore it sounded really similar and no-one else heard it.

I thought this until I went back and heard some of the press conferences he had as my state's governor. The Blood Bowl guy actually does a better job of sounding like Jesse Ventura than Ventura does. :(

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Christopher Daniels also does the voice for one of the radio hosts in SR4. I always forget which station.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Picked up SR IV a couple days ago and it's great so far, but it would've been loving awesome if Roddy Piper was available as one of the boss voices since his clothes are in the game.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Do the WWE title belts actually have precious metals in them or is it just imitation gold/silver?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Contingency Plan posted:

Do the WWE title belts actually have precious metals in them or is it just imitation gold/silver?

I believe the gold is real except anything resembling a precious stone is imitation.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

What was the thinking behind "Taboo Tuesday"? Not the fan voting, but doing a PPV on a Tuesday night. Did they have any reason to believe that was a good idea? Did "Tuesday in Texas" do really well and they just forgot about it for 15-odd years?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Honestly, I think it was purely an alliterative thing. Whoever came up with "Cyber Sunday" must've gotten one hell of a raise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ZDar Fan posted:

What was the thinking behind "Taboo Tuesday"? Not the fan voting, but doing a PPV on a Tuesday night. Did they have any reason to believe that was a good idea? Did "Tuesday in Texas" do really well and they just forgot about it for 15-odd years?

Tuesday In Texas did really poorly, but that was blamed on the week and a half break between shows (it was an experiment to see if you could do a buyrate from a controversial finish and immediate rematch.) I think it was half an experiment and half they wanted to tie the voting into Election Day. I'm amazed they did it on Tuesday for more than one year and even more amazed that Cyber Sunday stuck around because all of those shows were huge failures.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

Christopher Daniels also does the voice for one of the radio hosts in SR4. I always forget which station.

the metal station

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Tuesday In Texas did really poorly, but that was blamed on the week and a half break between shows (it was an experiment to see if you could do a buyrate from a controversial finish and immediate rematch.) I think it was half an experiment and half they wanted to tie the voting into Election Day. I'm amazed they did it on Tuesday for more than one year and even more amazed that Cyber Sunday stuck around because all of those shows were huge failures.

I remember reading somewhere that the first Taboo Tuesday was actually decently successful as a novelty and helped WWE gross a couple million more in revenue than they had the previous year, but yeah, it was a lame concept and was followed by a bunch of equally lame shows that didn't do well at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the first Taboo Tuesday was actually decently successful as a novelty and helped WWE gross a couple million more in revenue than they had the previous year, but yeah, it was a lame concept and was followed by a bunch of equally lame shows that didn't do well at all.

The first one was WWE's lowest buyrate of the year. It was a profitable show, just much less profitable than any other show without that gimmick. So they made money on it because it's really hard for WWE to lose money on a PPV, but they lost out on a bunch of theoretical dollars.