Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
On a related note, is there a decent resource for learning Darkest Hour? I bought it over a year ago and still haven't touched it because the pre-Clausewitz world is a dark and scary place to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Conquering Germany as Poland is certainly possible in vanilla hoi2 but I don't think I've ever seen it done in DH or AoD.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

And finally, with many hours behind it, the province map for the mod is done.

With a total of 1652 provinces, 1571 being land, it's slightly bigger than vanilla. (In land, seawise makes it smaller, I don't have near as many lakes and tiny bays.)

Now on to hopefully much less boring things. Jesus Christ.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 28, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Is the Western continent empty with a bunch of domain hosters as the culture? Something Awful commits mass genocide on the GoDaddy people

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ThePutty posted:

Can the Western continent just be empty with a bunch of domain hosters as the culture? Something Awful commits mass genocide on the GoDaddy people

The south of the two is geocities. It's full but dies off as the game goes on. The north is Usenet. It's scary and will gently caress you up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is :filez: going to be a tradegood Usenet is rich in?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is :filez: going to be a tradegood Usenet is rich in?

Oh incredibly. alt.binaries starts as the largest of the bunch for good measure.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

New post yes. The development of the mod has moved out of poo poo easily shown through changing pictures, the provinces, terrain, trees and rivers maps are all done. What we're onto now is developing a lot of the groundwork, namely the nation-sites involed, those that can revolt or appear, governments and religions.

For governments the idea seemed nebulous for a while, then I managed to hammer something out.

Basic governments are various states of a forum, from it's simple beginnings with one admin and a near nonexistant rules list, to places run by a cavalcade of infighting, to ego forums where everything up top and including joining violates a rule of some kind. Also, I've decided against switching governments the usual way, now there are decision and event trees for all the changeovers, usually requiring good monarch (admin) stats to perorm.

Let's follow a typical one just for me to show an example.

You start as Forum X. You're an OPM of the internet with a small 3 man forcelimit and the Despotic Forum archetype. You get some bonuses to morale as you generally a willing o let stuff slide, but events that pop up from time to time can tank your stability and make ad providers leery. Your current administrator is John Doe of 4/2/3, a decent bloke. But you want this forum to be more then a small spithole, you gotta take it places, but how? Do you intend to actually set up rules lists? Hire vetted volunteer or even paid moderators? Or expand the scope and just let more poo poo slide, the more the merrier? Any of these decisions take your little thing to many of describes government types, and affecting you in the immediate, vetting takes time (monarch points), and paid ones, obviously, cost money (ad revenue malus). While letting rules slide gives you more free time and can bring in more willing idiots who look at ads. But beware the quality of user you get from this, and the critical mass idiocy can reach.

The basic idea is that you need a decent administrator to make the good decisions, but are not forced to take bad ones with lovely admins, and even with a bad admin may still get the events that move you up the ladder. The only way to go down is by choice (though with huge boosts to manpower and ad revenue, maybe you want that route).

The other government types include Blogs, which are basically tribal governments (if a blog writer leaves the blog it tends to fall apart, while forums can lose administration and moderation staff without as much trouble), and can advance to a forum after becoming big enough. Social Networks are special types held only by Facebook, Myspace and G+ at the start (and have various stages of advancement), but who knows, maybe you can create the Deviantart Social Network of the future?

Paid Membership forums are possible to become as anyone. Usually it requires a high admin tech level, a good >=3 ADM leader and, as tend to start popping up annoyingly often the later in the game it gets, an ad provider downturn or defrauding. They're a pain to form and have a lot of poo poo to go through though. Or you can play SA and get it as your first national idea, your pick.

The other end, if you're mid level admin tech and a not poo poo >=2 leader, if you're wealthy as gently caress, you can get a company interested for various reasons and become a corporate owned forum. Who knows what that might entail? :spooky:

In the end, please point out poo poo that sounds unfun or stupid, I'm the only one who's looked at this whole setup so far, so outside eyes always help.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 29, 2013

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

In the end, please point out poo poo that sounds unfun or stupid, I'm the only one who's looked at this whole setup so far, so outside eyes always help.

Paid Membership should probably be a government type that requires you to be at a certain number of provinces or bigger, like the Empire government type from EU3. In real life, sites tend to crash and burn easily on this model and the sites that do well have a service they provide (news, adult services, etc).

Kind of deals with previous stuff you've posted, but with any of the site-states that you plan to erode away (Left continents pretty much?), I'd recommend giving them the option to reform. Sort of like a mix between westernization and reforming religion in CK2. Own the right places and you can enact a decision to reform Geocities into a modern site and remove any triggers for erosion.

Speaking of which, I may just be dumb and forgot, but any plans for what religion would be? Advertisers? Types of users/population or user mindset/culture? (I'm at a slight loss for the right words I'm thinking here, but this sort of sums it up.) Just curious.

I don't have much to contribute or critique unfortunately. Anything I knew could have been found with a search on the dot-com bubble.
I'm really liking these updates though and look forward to hearing more about the mod as it progresses. :)

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

Your current administrator is John Doe of 4/2/3, a decent bloke. But you want this forum to be more then a small spithole, you gotta take it places, but how? Do you intend to actually set up rules lists? Hire vetted volunteer or even paid moderators?

If you actually manage to finish this mod its going to be amazing :D

Religions should probably be some specific trait of certain communities, like Hipsterism for reddit or I dunno ADHD for 4chan. It could also be modeled as a battle over certain types of memes I guess. (Reddit tryign to spread unfunny rage comics to other forums etc)

podcat fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 29, 2013

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

podcat posted:

Hey, it'd probably end up as a better project than Magna Mundi did.

And an internet grand strategy game just sounds so fun.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 29, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Just make sure one of SA's ideas is Reddit Delenda Est.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

podcat posted:

Religions should probably be some specific trait of certain communities, like Hipsterism for reddit or I dunno ADHD for 4chan. It could also be modeled as a battle over certain types of memes I guess. (Reddit tryign to spread unfunny rage comics to other forums etc)

Asberger's and Self Diagnosed Asberger's. Also Reddit should be Smugly Atheist (with a constant "Show superiority" CB to anyone who isn't Smugly Atheits)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Apparently Paradox is gonna be the weekly Humble Bundle this week, including every Paradox game on Steam (except EU4) for $125. Holy poo poo that's a lot of games.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Allyn posted:

Apparently Paradox is gonna be the weekly Humble Bundle this week, including every Paradox game on Steam (except EU4) for $125. Holy poo poo that's a lot of games.

Ugh. Why do this to my wallet after pledging another $120 to Star Citizen?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
As I said in the Steam thread, I do hope that V2 makes it into a tier. Kersch has given me a hankering to play the game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gorgo Primus posted:

I hate it break it to you but you can't really reasonably do any of that stuff in HOI2, and AoD is kinda outclassed by DH in every way at the moment.

In any event if you do want to figure out a HOI2 game your best bet is to do the tutorial, and then play as Germany in 1939; and keep losing until you get a grasp of how to win. Once you know the basics you can reliably beat Poland, once you figure out the game fairly well you can reliably beat France, and when you get really secure in your abilities you'll be able to take on the USSR and win most of the time. After that you'll be equipped to do most anything outside of Japan.

I don't really support the "play till you lose" theory because there's a lot of ways to lose and until you understand the game mechanics you won't understand why.

I'd look for darkest hour on a sale, and use this guide: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?378841-quot-How-the-heck-do-you-play-this-game-!-quot-A-simple-tutorial-AAR

Darkest Hour Lite is basically exactly like HoI2: Doomsday with only a few minor changes that don't affect the guide.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Man. EU4, why you gotta be such a huge bummer sometimes? :smith:

Enrique bit it early on and his daughter Isabel inherited, so far so historical. She was even married to Ferdinand over in Aragon, which netted me a personal union and allowed me to make Spain with a tiny ugly-borders Aragon as a rump state with some holdings in the Mediterranean. The problems started when my stability kept dropping and the Reformation started about 25 years early. Navarra, who I had devoured in the process of making Spain, almost immediately flipped to Protestantism, and then Torquemada showed up proposing the whole Spanish Inquisition deal. Since the penalties on the Granadan provinces were so huge that it'd have taken me decades to convert them, I accepted his offer. They all got converted, but the Moors went running to Algiers and my stability plummeted to -3. There was also a bit of a shitfit near Mali from one of my colonies-in-process that I forgot to put armies on and the whole thing got burnt to the ground when I wasn't looking. At some point during this whole mess, Isabel even got the "ruler temporarily goes insane" event where you pick what advice you want, presumably from the stress.

Finally, in her mid sixties, Isabel was the subject of a palace coup. Old, half-mad, and watching the first bits of masonry crumble from Old Europe's foundations, she was approached by her eldest son, well into his fifties and attempting to kill his mother. Whether for the good of his own country, as he said, or to claim the throne for himself before he died too, even he didn't know. "I feel so old..." was the event confirmation text for the choice I took.

The queen is dead. Long live the king. :smith:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Highlanders just came down from the mountains to help me annex London. Thanks guys! Maybe it should check if it's a defensive war or if England is winning before handing a free stack out.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Allyn posted:

Why is this still a thing?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Walliard posted:

Hahaha I didn't even notice that it's not chronicles. That's great.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
drat you, Paradox. :argh:
I've almost bought 10 gifts so I can just give them out to friends who are too poor/disinterested to shell out the big bucks for EU4 when I noticed.

It's doubly sad that for Indie Gala Dwarves Paradox had already agreed to include HTTT and DW when EU4 wasn't even out yet.

I hope they will 'unlock' the DLC later during the sale or something.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Walliard posted:

I still don't understand why Paradox can't call up Steam and other DD sites and say "Hay dudes, stop selling that particular product, okay?".

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Or at the very least get it renamed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Or just rename it to something other than Complete, then people would stop thinking that it was complete.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RagnarokAngel posted:

Darkest Hour Lite is basically exactly like HoI2: Doomsday with only a few minor changes that don't affect the guide.

The biggest difference is in the mobilization system/events which can be summed up as "don't waste IC reinforcing land units until you've gone to war and activated full mobilization."

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Highlanders just came down from the mountains to help me annex London. Thanks guys! Maybe it should check if it's a defensive war or if England is winning before handing a free stack out.

Most highlanders I know would be delighted to sack London...

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Most highlanders I know would be delighted to sack London...

Well the flavor text kinda implied they were coming forth to defend against the English menace, which at the moment only controlled London.

I shipped them off to fight Spain.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Yeah I noticed that it was EU3 Complete and promptly laughed my rear end off. My friend who sees me logging tons of hours in EU4 was going to buy it to play EU3 with me, but then, I burst his bubble.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Well the flavor text kinda implied they were coming forth to defend against the English menace, which at the moment only controlled London.

I shipped them off to fight Spain.

Yes I know what you meant, I just thought it was kind of funny. That event is needed to keep scotland independent for anything like an historic length of time, but they can't seem to get it quite right. It seems to end up too much one way or the other.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Yes I know what you meant, I just thought it was kind of funny. That event is needed to keep scotland independent for anything like an historic length of time, but they can't seem to get it quite right. It seems to end up too much one way or the other.

I wish my games ended up onesided, in either direction. In pretty much all my games, England collapses, rebels tear it apart, Scotland annexes most of it, collapses and eventually you end up with poo poo like Morocco setting up a colony in London, culturally converting half of England. Which, while hilarious, is sort of eh.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How much do you want to bet that someone at Paradox actually made the mistake of thinking EU3 Complete was the version with everything and that's why it's in that bundle? I honestly can't think of any other reason why it's not Chronicles.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

How much do you want to bet that someone at Paradox actually made the mistake of thinking EU3 Complete was the version with everything and that's why it's in that bundle? I honestly can't think of any other reason why it's not Chronicles.

Dammit Wiz, you know better! :arghfist::arghfist::arghfist::argh:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Rudi Starnberg posted:

This all comes back to the core problem that conquering anywhere is far easier than it would have been historically.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

You do see that none of the games their are bundled with all of their DLCs, right? It's a bonus it's Complete and not EUIII base.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Darkrenown posted:

You do see that none of the games their are bundled with all of their DLCs, right? It's a bonus it's Complete and not EUIII base.

In the other games, you don't have to buy $20 worth of DLC to get a polished, reasonably-balanced experience.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

I don't know, I'm no marketing expert but I'd think making it EU3 Chronicles would only help sell more copies of EU4. If a person has a positive experience with the copy of EU3 they get in the bundle, they aren't going to go "Okay, now I should get the rest of the expansions!" they'll go "Okay, now I should really try out EU4!"

Also I was just making a joke about how confusing the naming is on these products.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Walliard posted:

In the other games, you don't have to buy $20 worth of DLC to get a polished, reasonably-balanced experience.

You could be getting 6 games for $1 here, you'll probably survive.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darkrenown posted:

You could be getting 6 games for $1 here, you'll probably survive.

It's a great deal and I'm glad you guys are doing a humble bundle. That said EU3 complete has a really dumb name and you guys should stop selling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't know, I'm no marketing expert but I'd think making it EU3 Chronicles would only help sell more copies of EU4. If a person has a positive experience with the copy of EU3 they get in the bundle, they aren't going to go "Okay, now I should get the rest of the expansions!" they'll go "Okay, now I should really try out EU4!"

Also I was just making a joke about how confusing the naming is on these products.

There were two whole waves of EU3 Chronicles keys being given away for free this year. I think Paradox are fine.

e: that does however make it a bit weird that the bundle is EU3 Complete

• Locked thread