Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

fivre posted:

"can u give me a call 555-555-5555 we are about to start the push"

Oh sure gonna get right on that.

Remember to breathe, and don't push unless the doctor tells you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

fivre posted:

"can u give me a call 555-555-5555 we are about to start the push"

Oh sure gonna get right on that.

You should never push. It causes hemorrhoids. Instead a gentle rocking motion back and forth while sitting on the toilet can loosen the impacted stool.

e;f;b

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Labor day isn't until next week, you guys :rolleyes:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

A ticket went out to a vendor again...

The users complain that events they sync between clients are missing data fields at random, and the server log states that the server is "unable to get expired field from client <computername>" at the exact time that the users complain. The vendor swears up and down that that log entry shouldn't even be logged at error level, it should be info/debug and is completly irrelevant to the issue at hand.
Five times now this "irrelevant" log entry shows up with the exact same timestamp and client name that was attempting to send the data the others didn't recieve. It's commonly the only log entry in the same HOUR that the error occured.

Totes unrelated guys, lets dig into this SQL error log entry 2 hours later instead. :downs: (Client-server sync doesn't even involve the database :ssh:)

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Caged posted:

I made a little Powershell script that pops the computer name up in a dialog box on the middle of the screen, and deployed a shortcut to it on everyone's desktops.

People still struggle to find the icon, but it's easier than the alternatives.

Please share this script. If I have to try and walk a person through bringing up a command prompt and typing "hostname" one more time I'm gonna snap.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I could I would, it was something I cooked up at my last job and forgot to copy when I left.

It basically involved grabbing the hostname and then making a dialog box. I am utterly poo poo with Powershell so there's a huge chance someone will be along soon having spent about 20 seconds typing something up that runs first time and works perfectly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Holy poo poo it's a long weekend? :supaburn:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Please share this script. If I have to try and walk a person through bringing up a command prompt and typing "hostname" one more time I'm gonna snap.
The other easy way (provided you have windows 7 on your workstations) is to just open up Computer and get them to read out the computer name from the lower left of the window. They took this out by default in windows 8 :saddowns:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lum posted:

Last time I was pulled over, the in car computer was showing a Windows XP BSOD the entire time. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

The cop didn't take kindly to me asking if I could see the video.
I nearly got totaled last year, by a cop who was going a good 15 over the posted (30 mph) speed limit, who was busy looking down and to the side as he poked at his laptop with one hand, all the while drifitng more than 6 feet into my lane.. And there was a bicyclist on my right side!

gently caress cops with laptops.

I don't get why firefighters would need a lot of IT equipment, though. Not like you can mount that poo poo to your chest and run around a burning building with it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

coyo7e posted:

I don't get why firefighters would need a lot of IT equipment, though. Not like you can mount that poo poo to your chest and run around a burning building with it.

Gotta be able to play Angry Birds as Rome burns...

edit for content:

A manager poked his head into a meeting where we were discussing some failover scenarios of an application environment. In this particular case we were talking about a pair of NAS devices primarynas and secondarynas set up so that primarynas is read/writable and replicates to secondarynas which is read-only.

Without knowing anything about this nas pair other than what I mentioned above, I proposed a solution where \\primarynas\share was mapped to X: and during an outage a script would automatically execute as local service containing:

code:
net use X: /delete
net use X: \\secondarynas\share /user:scriptuser@domain.local
We were brainstorming ideas around this simplistic scenario when the manager walks in and he gets all pissed off. When I asked why, he said it's because he was promised a NAS name that would never change and would point to "someplace in the cloud where the magic happens".

So he got pissed because he had to refer to a NAS share as X: instead of \\nasname because he saw my scribbles on a white board during a brainstorming session.

Goddammit I hate it when managers come behind the curtain of the great and powerful Oz.

If we gave him a solution that said, "Here's the X: drive. It'll always be up" I bet this would be a non issue. Instead he's getting all pissed off at a half-thought-out solution to a problem he barely understands while tossing out "CLOUDCLOUDCLUD!"

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 28, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It might have some to do with getting MSDS or other hazard information.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

coyo7e posted:

Our local FD just got all new iPads with this software that can query a database and display the floorplan inside.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skipdogg posted:

Our local FD just got all new iPads with this software that can query a database and display the floorplan inside.
When I worked for a city at my last job, the fire department wanted to buy this augmented reality app for their iPads to set buildings on fire for training scenarios :shobon:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

anthonypants posted:

When I worked for a city at my last job, the fire department wanted to buy this augmented reality app for their iPads to set buildings on fire for training scenarios :shobon:

Augmented Reality

Edit:
Be careful, that fire up on the stairs is clearly a chemical fire and you need to take special precautions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't forget to rescue the midget gangster by the curtains

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Is there an iOS app for MSDS?

e: refresh refresh refresh

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So schools open again next week in the city I work for. Some of the teachers are back. We get a "loud humming sound" and "no internet" report by phone. So we check it out. the router and all the switches have the fans on max. We found THREE switching loops in rooms. Yes lets plug a consumer grade switch you bough into all 4 wall ports then all 4 computers into that. That is NOT going to cause an issue. Oh I have a red blue and 2 grey cables lets loop the wall back into itself and link 2 computers together! And the last one they have 2 drops that are just cables from the ceiling (because our electrification that runs our stuff is lazy). Well 1 is for the teacher computer and the other is for the student computer, but she now has 4 student computers. She plugged both into a switch our predecessors provided.

The last IT people were fired for being incompetent. I think enabling spanning tree is on the list of things to do now that we know its disabled. But we have so much other stuff to do its just not completely doable. I mean we also need to rebuild the domain its called CITYNAME that's it. Not CITYNAME. or CITYNAME.LAN just CITYNAME . You cannot have a DC newer then server 2008 because of this. Server 2008 R2 yells at you about the domain name. I really really hate the old group.

Before you say getout boss totally gets it and is the one that got rid of the old staff. We just have to deal with stuff our job is to fix the mess. An understanding boss makes the mess tolerable. It's also fun to see her face when we tell her some of the messed up configs.

I really want to just redo our entire network its all kinds of wrong. My favorite is our exchange server was set to allow up to 1TB attachments, we set it to 10MB, but apparently sometimes police need to send large things so its at 300MB now. We probably should look into setting attachments by group or something, but we are still understaffed while fixing this mess so its kind of fix things that are broken then fix things that will become problems if you fix everything currently broken.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I love long customer signatures:
Bob Whatever MBA/MIS,PMP,CCNP,CISSP,ITILv3 Project Whatever Engineering Lead

He speaks entirely in txt speak and can't do anything.

Edit: that signature was the entire contents of the email.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 29, 2013

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

pixaal posted:

My favorite is our exchange server was set to allow up to 1TB attachments, we set it to 10MB, but apparently sometimes police need to send large things so its at 300MB now.

First thing I thought of when you mentioned 1TB attachments:

FuriousB
Aug 4, 2003

quote:

11:03 AM

Furiousb,
I am on the #2 computer and restarted but spark will not open and I am working from home office I NEED this to work for me....now....
SOS

11:04 AM

Working now

And that's why I ignore tickets for a least an hour. This is for a stupid Openfire chat server, obviously this is super duper business critical.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
meh

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fivre posted:

He speaks entirely in txt speak

This makes me irrationally angry, when coworkers type like semi-literate teens on our internal messenger. Type out "you", not "u", you layabout! :argh:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

CaptainJuan posted:

Is there an iOS app for MSDS?

e: refresh refresh refresh

While not an app, I dealt with one that was mobile friendly at my dispatching job a few years ago.. they are a paid service though

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo it's a long weekend? :supaburn:

I'm so used to being essential ops that I almost forgot what it's like to have long weekends due to national holidays. :unsmith:

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

There are still windows admins that don't know DCpromo, and promoting domain controllers.

It's been a while but doesn't it literally give you a message box telling you you're going to have to run dcpromo after the install?

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser
A toner came in... Then another one. Then another one. Then another one.

My company contracts our printer services out to Dell. As part of the contract, they fulfill our toner needs, but all they do is check every few weeks for a low toner and send one out without actually checking the click count.

I don't print much so my toner has been 'replace toner now' for months. Result? I've gotten a brand new toner every 3 weeks for the last 8 months.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

frogbert posted:

It's been a while but doesn't it literally give you a message box telling you you're going to have to run dcpromo after the install?

It does, but who bothers to read those things, anyway? Just click "OK". What's the worst that could happen?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

pixaal posted:

So schools open again next week in the city I work for. Some of the teachers are back. We get a "loud humming sound" and "no internet" report by phone. So we check it out. the router and all the switches have the fans on max. We found THREE switching loops in rooms. Yes lets plug a consumer grade switch you bough into all 4 wall ports then all 4 computers into that. That is NOT going to cause an issue. Oh I have a red blue and 2 grey cables lets loop the wall back into itself and link 2 computers together! And the last one they have 2 drops that are just cables from the ceiling (because our electrification that runs our stuff is lazy). Well 1 is for the teacher computer and the other is for the student computer, but she now has 4 student computers. She plugged both into a switch our predecessors provided.

The last IT people were fired for being incompetent. I think enabling spanning tree is on the list of things to do now that we know its disabled. But we have so much other stuff to do its just not completely doable. I mean we also need to rebuild the domain its called CITYNAME that's it. Not CITYNAME. or CITYNAME.LAN just CITYNAME . You cannot have a DC newer then server 2008 because of this. Server 2008 R2 yells at you about the domain name. I really really hate the old group.

Steps for enabling spanning tree;

1. Pick root bridge/set root bridge (spanning-tree vlan/mst [vlan/msti] priority root)
2. Turn on spanning tree (spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst/mst depending on your requirements)
3. Wait between 1 and 5 seconds depending on the scale of your network

The concept that you have a production network not running spanning-tree is a joke. Even if you don't have a single loop in your entire network, and every port is perfectly controlled there is 0 reason not to run MST (or PVST+ if you don't have more than 50[?] vlans).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

abigserve posted:

Steps for enabling spanning tree;

1. Pick root bridge/set root bridge (spanning-tree vlan/mst [vlan/msti] priority root)
2. Turn on spanning tree (spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst/mst depending on your requirements)
3. Wait between 1 and 5 seconds depending on the scale of your network

The concept that you have a production network not running spanning-tree is a joke. Even if you don't have a single loop in your entire network, and every port is perfectly controlled there is 0 reason not to run MST (or PVST+ if you don't have more than 50[?] vlans).

Yeah, dude needs to STP the poo poo out of that place and then apply security to every access port and commence the beatings for violators.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

abigserve posted:

You're assuming all the switching equipment is from Cisco. :v:

Joking aside, everyone's assessment is correct; there's no particular reason not to have spanning tree and port security enabled, and every reason to have them enabled.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I went on a date with a girl that had this tattooed on her back last year.

You'd think it would have been a warning. Next time I will hold out for kernel panics i guess.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

KweezNArt posted:

It does, but who bothers to read those things, anyway? Just click "OK". What's the worst that could happen?

Now if you run dcpromo from the command line it says you need to access it from the Server Manager. If you want to do join the domain from command line you have to do it in Powershell now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

PurpleButterfly posted:

You're assuming all the switching equipment is from Cisco. :v:

Joking aside, everyone's assessment is correct; there's no particular reason not to have spanning tree and port security enabled, and every reason to have them enabled.

Yeah we just don't have the time to figure out what the passwords are for the switches since no one knows them, and we have other things not working. We know its an issue, but its going to be messy since no one has any idea what the password is.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Now if you run dcpromo from the command line it says you need to access it from the Server Manager. If you want to do join the domain from command line you have to do it in Powershell now.

A decision that could of only been made in a Microsoft manager committee. See: shutdown button in vista.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

pixaal posted:

Yeah we just don't have the time to figure out what the passwords are for the switches since no one knows them, and we have other things not working. We know its an issue, but its going to be messy since no one has any idea what the password is.

Reset them? Since you don't know their passwords you don't know their config and that is BAD.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or if someone hasn't enabled STP then they probably haven't set a console password either.

Edit: Are we due a 'gently caress HP' yet? They've moved everything around on their support website, again. Now if I enter the model number of a ProCurve switch it takes me to the support page, and on the firmware tab:

quote:

Downloads for this product are not available through this website.

For Enterprise products you may find US-English downloads at the HP Software Depot.
For HP Home and Home Office products, visit HP Customer Care.
If you need additional help, you can contact your local HP representative for information on the specific update methods available for this product.

You may Contact HP at any time for additional support.

Obviously neither the Enterprise or Home and Home Office pages know this product exists.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 29, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

try cisco123

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Volmarias posted:

This makes me irrationally angry, when coworkers type like semi-literate teens on our internal messenger. Type out "you", not "u", you layabout! :argh:

theres a guy here..... who writes like this..... like he just....... starts jabbing the . key...... every time he pauses.......

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Sweevo posted:

theres a guy here..... who writes like this..... like he just....... starts jabbing the . key...... every time he pauses.......

"The guy" here adds, commas, everywhere. Whenever I read one of his mails, they automatically get voiced by yoda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeitGeits
Jun 20, 2006
Too much time....

Klaus Kinski posted:

"The guy" here adds, commas, everywhere. Whenever I read one of his mails, they automatically get voiced by yoda.

"The guy" here!!!!!!! writes more exclamation marks than actual letters in his tickets!!!!! After every sentence!!!!!!!!!

• Locked thread