Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

PaganGoatPants posted:

How do I know what fruits and veg are in season? Is there a chart somewhere?

http://eatseasonably.co.uk/what-to-eat-now/calendar/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I'm looking for some tips on the coating for buffalo wings. At the moment I am using one cup of cornflour (I believe it may be known as corn strach in the US) and half a cup of plain flour per 2 kg batch. I use cornflour because I feel the finer grain makes for a crispier wing. I haven't done much experimentation though so for all I know this could be completely false. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on that.

Secondly, when I eat out and get wings sometimes the coating is kind of textured, bubbly even. I am assuming they get this result by using self-raising flour but again I haven't really experimented all that much so I am not sure. What would the result be of using self-raising flour as a coating?

(the reason I don't experiment much is whenever I make wings it is kind of an 'event' and people would be pissed/disappointed if they turned out awful so I usually just stick to what has worked in the past)

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Samswing posted:

I got roped into cooking the rehearsal dinner for my brothers wedding and he asked that I specifically make pasta with sausage like we used to eat as kids. The sauce isn't the problem, the pasta is. I'am cooking for roughly 35 people and what I've been provided with is dried pasta and a four-top to cook 10+ pounds of pasta.

I cooked professionally for about 4 years through college and I am ashamed to say, I never made pasta in any kitchen I worked at. I know there is a better way that probably involves pre cooking the pasta. I need insight on par-cooking, and holding dried pasta for a day or two, because I can't imagine cooking that much pasta, same day, right before I mix it in the sauce.

Nobody answer the pasta question? Come on people.

Make pasta as you normally would. When you drain the pasta water, you want to run said pasta under cold water until it is completely cold! Like put your hand all in there and make sure there aren't any hot spots. Next you'll want to pretty immediately, once it's cool, toss the pasta in a decent amount of oil, otherwise your rigatoni will turn into one-giant-loving-piece-of-pasta-oni. Now you can store this in the fridge, TIGHTLY WRAPPED, until such time as you're ready to combine pasta and sauce. Realize that it'll take longer to heat up, might require a little water or something just to get things started, and since you're cooking this pasta twice now, in essence, do your best to not overcook it the first time.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

fuckpot posted:

I'm looking for some tips on the coating for buffalo wings. At the moment I am using one cup of cornflour (I believe it may be known as corn strach in the US) and half a cup of plain flour per 2 kg batch. I use cornflour because I feel the finer grain makes for a crispier wing. I haven't done much experimentation though so for all I know this could be completely false. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on that.

Secondly, when I eat out and get wings sometimes the coating is kind of textured, bubbly even. I am assuming they get this result by using self-raising flour but again I haven't really experimented all that much so I am not sure. What would the result be of using self-raising flour as a coating?

(the reason I don't experiment much is whenever I make wings it is kind of an 'event' and people would be pissed/disappointed if they turned out awful so I usually just stick to what has worked in the past)

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/crispy-chicken-wings-korean-style/

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Hey, my mom bought a huge bag of frozen tail on shrimp so we could make some pasta with that philly cooking cream, now we have a huge bag of shrimp that's still 90% full and we're trying to think of things(that aren't shrimp cocktail) to do with them.

Help?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhfK98f5S00

I personally really enjoy a nice shrimp salad, as I find shrimp to be pretty bland/boring on their own or even as the star of the dish. I was going to find a good mayo-based recipe for you, but actually this looks really awesome and versatile; as she says you could easily put this over some greens, inside a warm corn tortilla, or over rice.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/07/mama-canales-garcias-avocado-shrimp-salsa/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can cream be frozen without something terrible happening to it?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Heavy cream can be frozen just like milk.
It's only sour cream or yogurt you can't freeze.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Renzuko posted:

Hey, my mom bought a huge bag of frozen tail on shrimp so we could make some pasta with that philly cooking cream, now we have a huge bag of shrimp that's still 90% full and we're trying to think of things(that aren't shrimp cocktail) to do with them.

Help?

Are they raw or pre-cooked? If they're raw, I have an awesome recipe for butter-poached shrimp and grits from Ruhlman's Twenty I can type up and share. If they're pre-cooked, I'd say try to use them in cold applications, like salad, or tossing them thawed into something warm just to heat them up. Fried rice or lo mein or pad thai all call for / would do well with shrimp, though you'd have to skip re-cooking the pre-cooked shrimp in order to avoid overcooking.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Renzuko posted:

Help?

Shrimp tacos all day erry day.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Shrimp goes well with rice.
Fried rice(edit: OK that was already mentioned), jambalaya or paella.
Chuck them in a laksa, or batter them/salt and pepper them, honey and garlic them etc, and have them with salad

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 28, 2013

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I was so excited about hatch chiles coming in this year that I bought like 6 pounds of them. What's the best way to get rid of them other than infinite chiles rellenos? We also have a fair amount of tomatoes from the backyard.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a good New Mexican cookbook.

Dogdoo 8 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 28, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I like roasting them (along with other peppers) and making green chili

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

I like roasting them (along with other peppers) and making green chili

How did I not think of chili.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I was so excited about hatch chiles coming in this year that I bought like 6 pounds of them. What's the best way to get rid of them other than infinite chiles rellenos? We also have a fair amount of tomatoes from the backyard.

Also pickle them, pickled peppers are always great.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

If you roast them, Let them sit for a bit in some foil, take off the roasted skin (you can leave a bit for color), deseed them, and chop them up they're a good garnish on a lot of things. Green chili burgers, green chili burritos, green chili eggs, etc. That's how I've seen the green chili used mostly. Historically I've used a blowtorch (not ideal), but you could use a gas stove, a grill, or an oven too but I've never tried those methods yet.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Green posole, or green chili stew with pork shoulder and potatoes if you don't have access to hominy.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Query: husk cherries, will they ripen off the vine?

They just became available at my csa and I, having never encountered them before, didn't realize that the ones still attached to the plant were still unripe and I was supposed to look for the ones that had fallen to the ground.

Also, like a foolish fool I tried to eat one right off the vine, when it was green. Now I discover that they contain solanine. I doubt that the two that I ate would contain enough to merit a hospital visit, correct? I can just look forward to some lovely stomach cramps?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Just want to say thanks for the help on the french macarons. I made my second batch on Sunday, and they turned out perfectly and were raved about all day long.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Seems like a winner except I am in Australia and apparently Wondra flour is hard to find. I tried to buy some from Amazon but apparently they don't ship overseas. Why is it so hard to get good stuff in this god forsaken country? :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's a good recipe, but you don't need to bread your wings.

I like to trim them all up and leave them on a baking rack in the fridge overnight. The fridge is super dry so the next day the skin will be dry and tacky to the touch.

Get your oil to the right temperature, plunk your nice dry wings in and let them fry until they're golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Then toss them in a mixture of hot sauce, butter and I toss in a little garlic and Worcestershire.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

So I picked this up thinking it was a curry powder. "Kandi Podi Redgram spice mix powder"

Instructions on the back say to mix is with hot rice and ghee. No quantities specified. Some help?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chemmy posted:

That's a good recipe, but you don't need to bread your wings.

I like to trim them all up and leave them on a baking rack in the fridge overnight. The fridge is super dry so the next day the skin will be dry and tacky to the touch.

Get your oil to the right temperature, plunk your nice dry wings in and let them fry until they're golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Then toss them in a mixture of hot sauce, butter and I toss in a little garlic and Worcestershire.

I'll add to that, my trick from serious eats is to prep and let the wings sit in the fridge but sprinkle a mix of salt and baking powder. My goto recipe is: http://mobile.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-hot-wings-recipe.html

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Baking powder speeds the Maillard reaction by making the surface more basic. If you've got it on hand go nuts, but it's not required.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
I have actually tried non-breaded wings before and while they were still good, I certainly prefer them breaded.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chemmy posted:

Baking powder speeds the Maillard reaction by making the surface more basic. If you've got it on hand go nuts, but it's not required.

Who doesn't have baking powder on hand?

It makes wings so amazingly crispy, do eeeeet

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

BraveUlysses posted:

Who doesn't have baking powder on hand?

Someone who thinks he's too good for shopping lists and always misremembers what to get and as a result has half a dozen boxes of baking soda in his pantry.

This is not me, of course.

Really.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My mom gave me a big jar of baharat. I can use it like any other spice mix - make soups or rice or whatever - but I'm wondering if anyone has any favorite recipes that use baharat that I might not have thought up on my own. I'm vegan so "rub it on chicken" isn't an option.

vxk5004
Oct 23, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

So I picked this up thinking it was a curry powder. "Kandi Podi Redgram spice mix powder"

Instructions on the back say to mix is with hot rice and ghee. No quantities specified. Some help?

It might be paruppu podi, which I always keep on hand when I don't feel like making an extra dish with my rice.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ron Jeremy posted:

So you toss a bit of hot rice with some sesame oil, sprinkle on the powder as if you were seasoning with salt (start light and go heavier as your tastes dictate), and have it as a snack. It's essentially an Indian furikake mix.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll add to that, my trick from serious eats is to prep and let the wings sit in the fridge but sprinkle a mix of salt and baking powder. My goto recipe is: http://mobile.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-hot-wings-recipe.html

That looks really good. I don't have a grill. Would broiling them work just as well, or should I cook them stovetop? I would think a hot cast iron pan would be similar, just without the charcoal flavor.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

contrapants posted:

That looks really good. I don't have a grill. Would broiling them work just as well, or should I cook them stovetop? I would think a hot cast iron pan would be similar, just without the charcoal flavor.

You could try baking (and maybe broil at the end? not sure never made wings in the oven). I grill 98% of the time but I have fried them in a dutch oven too.

Wings need a good amount of cooking time to render out the fat from the skin to get the right amount of crispy-ness.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I'm looking for a good chana masala recipe, and the variation across recipes I'm finding online is disconcerting. Surely someone here can set me on the right path.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Totally Reasonable posted:

I'm looking for a good chana masala recipe, and the variation across recipes I'm finding online is disconcerting. Surely someone here can set me on the right path.

Essentially it's cumin seeds, coriander seeds, some kind of aromatic of your choice (onion, garlic, ginger, or all three if you have them), turmeric, tomatoes, chickpeas, and garam masala at the end. Basically, every recipe will have some variation on that. Look for one that calls for some whole seeds, some ground spices (garam masala), and plenty of onions.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm English and am travelling a lot, currently through South America. When I stay with people, they sometimes ask me to prepare something English, and I get a bit lost for ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that I can prepare given that I'm going to be limited to ingredients found in small supermarkets (and so nothing typically English), probably only going to have a stovetop to cook with and am not a particularly good cook?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
South America? There's probably fish and potatoes, so voila, the essence of English cookery.

If you're intimidated by the cooking for them, just explain to them what some basic dishes are, laugh a bit, and then don't be too worried about it if you don't end up making something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sad Panda posted:

I'm English and am travelling a lot, currently through South America. When I stay with people, they sometimes ask me to prepare something English, and I get a bit lost for ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that I can prepare given that I'm going to be limited to ingredients found in small supermarkets (and so nothing typically English), probably only going to have a stovetop to cook with and am not a particularly good cook?

What about an English breakfast? You can buy the stuff everywhere and you can't really screw up the cooking. If you want to get fancy and they have a cheese grater then you could buy potatoes and fry up hash browns too. That would definitely be the easiest thing to do and if you're just sharing cultures then it doesn't matter if you have it for dinner.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sad Panda posted:

Make pancakes - same recipe as for yorkshire puddings but cooks in a frying pan. Tell them that if they had an oven they'd get puds but since it's a stovetop it's pancakes. Both are delicious and pancakes nearly always work whereas yorkshire puddings are dodgy as hell to get right.

(I have the old Mrs. Beeton recipe for yorkshire pudding batter memorized if it's of any use to you)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Sad Panda posted:

Can't you just put vinegar all over one of their local dishes? :v:

For an easy English dish, can you make mushrooms on toast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What do I do with sage? I have some dried sage but I'm not sure how to use it, it's fairly strong herbal flavor and It tends to have hard almost twigs in it so I'm thinking it needs to be cooked with a meal.