Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Can someone post the original. I'm having a terrible time trying to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Can someone post the original. I'm having a terrible time trying to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYAFvigSWJY

it was in the related videos when I checked last night, but not this morning. Weird.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

LifeSizePotato posted:

You're supposed to grow a CE-rated ironic beard, duh.

It'll be like the mohawks on helmets, you get a beard attachment for your hipster hat. I guess some helmet is better than none, but, it's still stupid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just wait for the carbon fiber yarmulke.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I saw this nut-buster a couple weeks ago at a car show. Looks comfortable!

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I will never understand the seats and bars people put on custom bikes, I know it's about aesthetics but those two things are so important to making a bike rideable. It's not just the chopper dudes but all the vintage cafe assholes do the same thing spend hours on building some bike and then just slap a half inch of foam over a piece of metal and call it seat.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Well his shirt does say SM.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just wait for the carbon fiber yarmulke.

Is that spelling common knowldege, as a Jew :jewish: I usually spell it "Yamika" because 90% of the time if I write it, the other person will say what's a 'yar mulkeh' (this is how I picture them reading it)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

Is that spelling common knowldege, as a Jew :jewish: I usually spell it "Yamika" because 90% of the time if I write it, the other person will say what's a 'yar mulkeh' (this is how I picture them reading it)

I only know the real spelling because the first time I came across the word as a wee lad I had to look up what it meant, and went "oh, so that's how yamaka is spelled" and its actual spelling stuck with me.

I think outside of the Jewish world its probably pretty frequently mis-spelled.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 30, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SaNChEzZ posted:

Lemon lot, NS Mayport, Jacksonville, FL. The bike is really, really clean. Needs a new rear tire, but the rest of it looks very nice.

New meaning for suicide shifter.

Nice airbrushing.

Shifter linkage, more clean paint.

I wasn't going to include this, but if you're near Jax, call Gabe; it lists $4500, but I bet he'd take less.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
If that guy truly embraced death, he would have kept on the front brake(aka the literal suicide shifter).

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Lemon lot, NS Mayport, Jacksonville, FL. The bike is really, really clean. Needs a new rear tire, but the rest of it looks very nice.

New meaning for suicide shifter.

Nice airbrushing.

Shifter linkage, more clean paint.

I wasn't going to include this, but if you're near Jax, call Gabe; it lists $4500, but I bet he'd take less.

am I missing the joke here ?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

HNasty posted:

SAMCRO REDWOOD ORIGINAL

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HNasty posted:

Is it not overtly hipster enough for you to grasp?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

Is it not overtly hipster enough for you to grasp?

Wut? This is more along the lines of unrideable orange county choppers poo poo but I was referring to the original post, not so much the bike itself. Which is a huge bucket of lovely ideas.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hi there, don't mind me, I'm Marc Marquez

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HNasty posted:

Wut? This is more along the lines of unrideable orange county choppers poo poo but I was referring to the original post, not so much the bike itself. Which is a huge bucket of lovely ideas.

Pfft who wants a namby-pamby hard-tail, I've got a hard-NOSE, bitch! No suspension travel here! And if you question that I'll hit you with my adze.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yamika sounds like a cheap Japanese scooter brand.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

HNasty posted:

For those of you not familiar with Bitwell they make retro helmets to cash in on the "genuine" motorcycling craze that seems to be spreading out from Portland. Check out their site for some real laughs.

I still don't get the hate for Biltwell. They build modern, "retro" looking DOT helmets and offer both a 3/4 and a full face. They figured out an underserved market niche and exploited it. Wearing a "modern", swoopy looking full face helmet on a 40 year old chopper/bobber/rat bike makes you look like a loving pud, so the other options people go with are some garage sale 40 year old special, or better yet, no helmet. Compared to that, a decently built DOT certified full face for 150 bucks that looks period correct seems like a decent deal.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Thank god bobber riders are now able to avoid the worst possible outcome when riding: looking like a pud.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

ThatCguy posted:

I still don't get the hate for Biltwell. They build modern, "retro" looking DOT helmets and offer both a 3/4 and a full face. They figured out an underserved market niche and exploited it. Wearing a "modern", swoopy looking full face helmet on a 40 year old chopper/bobber/rat bike makes you look like a loving pud, so the other options people go with are some garage sale 40 year old special, or better yet, no helmet. Compared to that, a decently built DOT certified full face for 150 bucks that looks period correct seems like a decent deal.

"period correct"? They're riding a motorcycle, not reenacting Gettysburg. However arguing this point is pretty stupid since I don't think most of us are in the motorcycle-as-a-fashion-accessory crowd and as such this kind of poo poo doesn't compute.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ThatCguy posted:

biltwellkeydemographic.docx

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Gweenz posted:

"period correct"? They're riding a motorcycle, not reenacting Gettysburg. However arguing this point is pretty stupid since I don't think most of us are in the motorcycle-as-a-fashion-accessory crowd and as such this kind of poo poo doesn't compute.

This forum is so easy to tweak sometimes. I always forget that it's mostly a group of twentysomethings that want to pretend they're sixty wearing high viz and commuting on boring bikes.

That said, yes, "period correct". You wouldn't build a 50's rat rod and then stick a set of 20 inch chrome neepers on it and put a giant double DIN face unit with brightly colored LEDs on it and a pep boyz double element wing, it would look stupid. Same goes for building up an old triumph or honda to look like it came straight out of 1967. Sticking on some ugly rear end HJC helmet with "replica" MotoGP graphics looks pretty ridiculous. Bell's been doing it with their "500" line for years, Biltwell just jumped in and made a replica Bell full face from 1974.

People are more likely to wear gear that looks good. This isn't a bad thing.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Another case against extended swingarms.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Voltage posted:

Another case against extended swingarms.

You kidding dude? A good front to back brazilian wax runs at least 80 bucks at most salons. That swingarm will pay for itself in 2-3 sessions.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ThatCguy posted:

This forum is so easy to tweak sometimes. I always forget that it's mostly a group of twentysomethings that want to pretend they're sixty wearing high viz and commuting on boring bikes.

That said, yes, "period correct". You wouldn't build a 50's rat rod and then stick a set of 20 inch chrome neepers on it and put a giant double DIN face unit with brightly colored LEDs on it and a pep boyz double element wing, it would look stupid. Same goes for building up an old triumph or honda to look like it came straight out of 1967. Sticking on some ugly rear end HJC helmet with "replica" MotoGP graphics looks pretty ridiculous. Bell's been doing it with their "500" line for years, Biltwell just jumped in and made a replica Bell full face from 1974.

"exciting bikes" like an old triumph, or Honda.

Dont forget, this forum does mad burnouts son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZShnI87t0NI

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"exciting bikes" like an old triumph, or Honda.

Your ears burning man?

For the record, I ride neither, nor do I own a biltwell helmet. I just don't see the issue in selling to a young demographic that actually, *gasp*, likes motorcycles, as opposed to most other GenY/Millenials that hate gas powered things.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gweenz posted:

They're riding a motorcycle, not reenacting Gettysburg.

I own an open face Davida vintage style helmet. It's my spare / occasional vintage rideout lid. Apart from the look it's actually pretty neat to ride a vintage bike in period (or close-to) gear, because you get a feeling of how it was to ride the bike in it's hey-day. I've also ridden wartime bikes with *gasp* no helmet at all. I don't make a habit of it and day-to-day commuting I always wear a full-face.

I'm the first person to warn others, especially new riders who intend to commute, of the dangers of an open face helmet and wearing improper gear. I also recognise that it's their own choice. I don't think there is a problem with these products being available so long as people are educated on the risks.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

humans of new york posted:

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
“A fireman.”
“And what about you?”
“Nothing.”
“Nothing? You mean you don’t want to grow up?”
“I want to grow up. But I just want to ride on motorcycles.”

:kimchi:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Since I actually regularly ride a vintage bike ('71 Yamaha R5) I think I'm qualified in saying anyone that wears 'vintage gear' is a loving idiot. This bike has such terrible brakes that I'm not going to shortchange myself on gear. I ride a vintage bike because it's actually fun to ride, not to recreate some time period that I wasn't even alive during.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

Since I actually regularly ride a vintage bike ('71 Yamaha R5) I think I'm qualified in saying anyone that wears 'vintage gear' is a loving idiot. This bike has such terrible brakes that I'm not going to shortchange myself on gear. I ride a vintage bike because it's actually fun to ride, not to recreate some time period that I wasn't even alive during.

This, the people who are riding vintage bikes for the civil war reenactment factor deserve all the criticism, laughs and lovely helmets directed at them.

I dont ride my RV90 pretending im some Socal beach bum wondering whos really behind watergate.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Some people like different things. This is the goon dilemma.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

thylacine posted:

You're enjoying it wrong! You must enjoy this on the same level as me!

Seriously though, with the Harley thing going on in MKE and me being the office "motorcycle guy" its super hard not to rant and rave about the thousands of helmetless riders out there. I have been a bit, always following up with "of course not all of them are like that"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

thylacine posted:

The narrow criteria by which we goons judge something as acceptable is right up there with the Westboro Baptist Church's.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Wear a full face helmet made in the last decade is certainly a horrible opinion. Remember kids there are no right opinions!

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
The hivemind is unanimous in condemning the hivemind.

Irony. Here, let me show you it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ThatCguy posted:

ThatCguy posted:

For the record, I ride neither, nor do I own a biltwell helmet. I just don't see the issue in selling to a young demographic that actually, *gasp*, likes motorcycles, as opposed to most other GenY/Millenials that hate gas powered things.

I dunno if you've got your demographics messed up or if it's just a regional thing, but around here the kind of people who ride olde schoole cafe/bobber/rat bikes are almost universally late-middle aged 'cool urban dad keepin' it real' types.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

ThatCguy posted:

On the planet he comes from there is either novelty helmets or all hi-viz aerostitch gear, functional good looking gear from the likes of Dainese and Alpinestar is unheard of.

Not to mention comfort and functionality real helmets provide. Doing any sort of mileage or speed in one of these fashion accessories is next to impossible, they might be fine for wobbling down to your local coffee shop or art gallery to share stories of almost doing "ton up" on your sweet vintage CB but they're not gonna help if you catch a bug or pebble in the face at speed.

thylacine posted:

clutchpuck posted:

The narrow criteria by which we goons judge something as acceptable is right up there with the Westboro Baptist Church's.

Since when is making fun of stupid poo poo such a hate crime? Excuse me if I don't support the fantasy of these spoiled children.

Reminds me of a question we got on the blog, http://hipsterbikevideos.tumblr.com/post/58327944276/dude-do-you-like-being-contrarian-or-is-there-actually

HNasty fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 30, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HNasty posted:

not gonna help if you catch a bug or pebble in the face at speed.

This happens to me all the time with my full face. I am such a daredevil that my visor is up most of the time.

Some of you guys treat getting hit by a little debris like the end of the world. It's not. It stings, for like a second. The worst bits of crap I've been hit by - that I swore to god should have had me bleeding - scraped my cheek a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

This happens to me all the time with my full face. I am such a daredevil that my visor is up most of the time.

Some of you guys treat getting hit by a little debris like the end of the world. It's not. It stings, for like a second. The worst bits of crap I've been hit by - that I swore to god should have had me bleeding - scraped my cheek a little.

Aren't you a fat guy? Your face probably has more padding.