Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tunga posted:

Shows as £200 for me...?

Pass - still showing £190 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Schmoli posted:

I've got the Portenzo Hardback and dig it: http://shop.portenzo.com/hardback-for-the-new-nexus-7/

Speaking of that, does anyone know if this thin cardboard case would allow for wireless charging?

Mine is still being made, I can't wait to get it.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

That Portenzo case looks fantastic, but it's $44.00 (with the "Intellistand") plus at least $4.00 in shipping. Seems pricey :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have one of these Moko cases and it seems pretty good so far.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My dodo case is excellent. Well worth the $40, looks, feels just like a moleskin.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

taqueso posted:

I got one of those the other week. Like it apart from when its open and the cover is kinda flimsy along the back. Doesn't feel as comfy as without the case.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Drakes posted:

I got one of those the other week. Like it apart from when its open and the cover is kinda flimsy along the back. Doesn't feel as comfy as without the case.

It does make the tablet feel much less svelte. I agree that the cover is a bit flimsy, but I figured that was normal for this kind of thin case. Has anyone tried the Poetic case that is very similar?

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

I don't really need a case, but what I could use is a good sleeve just for transporting it. I have one for my old keyboard kindle I like but it's not shaped right for the N7. I just want to be able to put it in something that will protect the screen that I can then toss in a backpack or something without worry. Any ideas?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

http://www.sfbags.com/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Viper915 posted:

I don't really need a case, but what I could use is a good sleeve just for transporting it. I have one for my old keyboard kindle I like but it's not shaped right for the N7. I just want to be able to put it in something that will protect the screen that I can then toss in a backpack or something without worry. Any ideas?

These are like $8 or some poo poo

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Case-Logic-7-Tablet-PC-Sleeve-Tannin/17787031

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

taqueso posted:

It does make the tablet feel much less svelte. I agree that the cover is a bit flimsy, but I figured that was normal for this kind of thin case. Has anyone tried the Poetic case that is very similar?

I actually just got this case yesterday, and it's pretty comfortable although the fake leather is like a sticker on the plastic shell. It hasn't peeled or anything but nobody's going to mistake this for a high end case. It's easy to one-hand but has jack poo poo in terms of viewing angles, so make sure you don't want a case you can prop up and watch movies on.

Turns out I was standing it upside down, I take it back this case is great.

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 29, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have one of these and I can vouch for it, perfect fit for a 2012 N7 (without being super tight or anything), good build quality, and padded enough that I feel comfortable throwing it into my rucksack and such.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
1SaleADay is selling pre-owned 16GB Nook HD+'s (discussed in the last couple pages) for $110 w/ 1 year warranty. Ridiculous deal that makes me wish I read comics just because it would be the best comic reader ever.

I think I may get one just to mess around with.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

taqueso posted:

I got the Slim version as well as the Ultra Slim, and so far I like the Slim quite a bit. When they first opened orders they were only $0.99, so I grabbed one of each. I just kind of like the look and feel of the Slim a bit better, so it's largely what I've been using, but they both seem like solid choices.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

1SaleADay is selling pre-owned 16GB Nook HD+'s (discussed in the last couple pages) for $110 w/ 1 year warranty. Ridiculous deal that makes me wish I read comics just because it would be the best comic reader ever.

I think I may get one just to mess around with.

poo poo, I am tempted to get this for the comics and just to use as a 'always on my coffee table' tablet or something... any issues anyone knows with these? Looks like I can get CM10.1 on it at least.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I bought a used one off craigslist not yesterday for $110. :downs:

Its awesome, I flashed straight to CM10.1 last and haven't seen any issues. 10.2 is still in alpha so I went for the last nightly of 10.1. MXplayer can handle all my shows and movie backups no problem with HW decoding (at least in 720p, but posts on XDA say 1080p is also no issue) and as a couple people said, reading comics (and books fo course which I also do) looks really nice.

Thats all I really need for a tablet honestly. A quad core and nfc and wireless charging are all cool as poo poo of course, but $110 is also cool as poo poo. :)

Remember it doesn't have GPS or a camera, but it does have bluetooth so you can tether a controller for some gaming.

Anyways 10/10 in my book!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Schmoli posted:

poo poo, I am tempted to get this for the comics and just to use as a 'always on my coffee table' tablet or something... any issues anyone knows with these? Looks like I can get CM10.1 on it at least.

Flash to CM 10.1 in hybrid mode. Issues are that you won't be able to swap the SD card after that, the screen does not have auto brightness (if you care), no back camera, the speaker is really quiet and I have ended up cupping around the speaker just to get it louder, and it's got a stupid proprietary charger.

But all in all it's a incredible screen, gets apps from google play and is a great all round device. If you want a 7in device get the N7 if you want a 9in device this is a great choice once you flash CM10.1.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BotchedLobotomy posted:

reading comics (and books fo course which I also do) looks really nice.

Comics and books look incredible. It's got an iPad level screen for 1/5 the price.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
I decided to let the deal pass, a buddy convinced me that they'll really only probably go down in price, and it's not like I *need* it (I have a 2013N7 already), but I do find myself squinting with comics here and there.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I bought a used one off craigslist not yesterday for $110. :downs:

Its awesome, I flashed straight to CM10.1 last and haven't seen any issues. 10.2 is still in alpha so I went for the last nightly of 10.1. MXplayer can handle all my shows and movie backups no problem with HW decoding (at least in 720p, but posts on XDA say 1080p is also no issue) and as a couple people said, reading comics (and books fo course which I also do) looks really nice.

Thats all I really need for a tablet honestly. A quad core and nfc and wireless charging are all cool as poo poo of course, but $110 is also cool as poo poo. :)

Remember it doesn't have GPS or a camera, but it does have bluetooth so you can tether a controller for some gaming.

Anyways 10/10 in my book!

Did you flash on a microsd for dual boot or did you do it straight to memory?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Did you flash on a microsd for dual boot or did you do it straight to memory?

I know you didn't ask me but I tried both and found the hybrid (in memory) has better performance. Occasionally the tablet will reboot (in either dual boot, or hybrid), but it's pretty rare.

Boot time takes like 20 seconds so it doesn't really bother me.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Stick100 posted:

I know you didn't ask me but I tried both and found the hybrid (in memory) has better performance. Occasionally the tablet will reboot (in either dual boot, or hybrid), but it's pretty rare.

Boot time takes like 20 seconds so it doesn't really bother me.

Ok, cool, just wanted to know, i have mine on my SD card and it's a little choppy. I was a little hesitant to install on memory since you lose the B&N OS forever, IIRC, but i guess for what i paid for it, it's not that big a deal.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

Ok, cool, just wanted to know, i have mine on my SD card and it's a little choppy. I was a little hesitant to install on memory since you lose the B&N OS forever, IIRC, but i guess for what i paid for it, it's not that big a deal.

It can still chop a little on hyrid and I believe you can backup the OS if you care. I went through the same thought process and exentually decided I never cared to use the BN O/S and probably no one else will either.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I installed directly onto the EMMC, I did the same with my old nook color and just spent the time in B&N OS to register it. Honestly the B&N OS isnt bad at all, but I'm so used to CM I just went right into it.

I used this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317500 which provides instructions on how to backup your B&N OS so if you ever change your mind you can go back. Not as easy as pulling the card but its not too bad honestly.

Speed is pretty quick! Not as good as my GS4, but spades better than my old nook (lol 800hz single core)

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I installed directly onto the EMMC, I did the same with my old nook color and just spent the time in B&N OS to register it. Honestly the B&N OS isnt bad at all, but I'm so used to CM I just went right into it.

I used this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317500 which provides instructions on how to backup your B&N OS so if you ever change your mind you can go back. Not as easy as pulling the card but its not too bad honestly.

Speed is pretty quick! Not as good as my GS4, but spades better than my old nook (lol 800hz single core)

Thanks for the link, i'll try it out later.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I used the same guide! I used one of the last 10.1 versions though. I'm not sure how stable 10.2 is right now.

Everything else works great.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yes I did the same, the last 10.1 version is 8/13 so its not like 10.1 is "old" by any means. 10.2 will be great when its polished but its really rough right now and I dont need to be on the bleeding edge for the minimal albeit good changes 4.3 add.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Should I run the battery down completely on this new Nexus 7 once a month?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Did any accessories come out that actually use that peel-off bit on the back of the nexus 10? When I first got mine I couldn't find anything and I eventually stopped looking.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You don't have to do that. It wouldn't hurt the thing but there are no benefits either. Modern batteries don't have to be conditioned. And by modern I mean rechargeable batteries of any device manufactured in the last 20 years. People claiming benefits from "battery tuning" are experiencing the placebo effect or trying to sell you something that doesn't do anything.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 31, 2013

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Did any accessories come out that actually use that peel-off bit on the back of the nexus 10? When I first got mine I couldn't find anything and I eventually speed looking.

Ran across this yesterday, kinda surprised me.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_10_Cover_Dark_Grey?id=nexus_10_cover_gray&feature=accessories

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You should never run the battery completely down on lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries. At best it achieves nothing, at worst it'll literally destroy parts of the battery and thus permanently reduce capacity.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Install Windows posted:

You should never run the battery completely down on lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries. At best it achieves nothing, at worst it'll literally destroy parts of the battery and thus permanently reduce capacity.

I'm so glad my Nexus 10 does this for me occasionally. Some lovely pro code by Google craps itself and drains the battery empty. This happened last night, Google Chrome & Google Services took nearly 70% of the battery while the graph looked like \.

In morning I notice my tablet won't turn on anymore, and after plugging it in it displays only a gray charging icon for some time before turning on.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Install Windows posted:

Cheers. I'd been told a long time ago to run the battery down to 0 once a month but I will now discard this advice.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers. I'd been told a long time ago to run the battery down to 0 once a month but I will now discard this advice.

Well, that was almost something you should do on old old styles of rechargeable batteries (although even with those a month was often too frequent). But lithium chemistry batteries just won't work that way.

Incidentally with any lithium-chemistry battery, if you're not going to use the battery for a while it should be drained to about 40% and then kept in a cold to cool place (like a freezer or refrigerator, while in a container that'll prevent it from getting condensation on it).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What batteries are you supposed to complete drain? Seems like every kind of battery I've owned from the nickel cadmium to lithium whatevers, I've been told that completely draining it is bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

What batteries are you supposed to complete drain? Seems like every kind of battery I've owned from the nickel cadmium to lithium whatevers, I've been told that completely draining it is bad.

NiMH and NiCd batteries need to occasionally be drained nearly to the brink in order to clear up memory effects. This is not supposed to be done regularly though. Things like doing it monthly should almost never have been done.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Install Windows posted:

Well, and any lion/lipo batteries that aren't the crappiest of the crap won't let you drain it to completely empty anyways - what the battery reports as 0% isn't *really* 0% - it's usually more like 5% or so.

Which, basically means you don't need to panic because your tablet got down to 2% or whatever - but don't let it sit two weeks in that state.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Whats the best app to implement quiet hours on my Nexus 7? I use llama for my phone but obviously the n7 only has wifi.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

kri kri posted:

Whats the best app to implement quiet hours on my Nexus 7? I use llama for my phone but obviously the n7 only has wifi.

Llama can do time based events. It's called "Time Between" under conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just had a terrible foray into 2.4 GHz wireless somehow. I was trying to figure out why the hell my bluetooth mouse was being so laggy and noticed I was connected to my 2.4Ghz wireless. Apparently there is a setting in android to make it only look for 5G signals, so I set that on and now I'm operating interference free bluetooth.