Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

More features! More characters! It's Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate! A Nine-Tails Fox character is being added, along with a brand new dungeon escape mode. In dungeon escape, 5 different characters are thrown together into a team and can be switched between with a single button press as they try to escape the enemy filled dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, it depends. Do your allies get NPC benefits when uncontrolled? And for that matter, given I've not been tracking the series well, are NPC benefits a thing anymore? Things like charging up when a target's knocked down to get a free heal or power-up.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Policenaut posted:

More features! More characters! It's Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate! A Nine-Tails Fox character is being added, along with a brand new dungeon escape mode. In dungeon escape, 5 different characters are thrown together into a team and can be switched between with a single button press as they try to escape the enemy filled dungeon.

You know, if they fill the dungeon with random traps/layouts and enemy generals it could be an awesome roguelike-ish thing. Maybe I'm hoping for too much.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So it's Samurai Warriors again, with allies? Eh. They were so-so in 1, and I know nothing of 2 and onwards.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

SW:Chronicles had you toggling between four characters to complete objectives, it looks like they're expanding on this and bringing it to regular consoles. This was fantastic on the 3DS, I think it has high potential for WO implementation. They're probably testing the concept out for consideration on how story missions can work for WO4, is my guess.

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine

Policenaut posted:

Now if they just released this on PC outside of freaking China (I'm looking at you DW7 :argh:)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Chortles posted:

Errr, the river itself is from the flooding of Xiapi castle... but I'm told that Japanese adaptations had a history of having Lu Bu go out fighting; Yokoyama Mitsuteru Sangokushi had him attempt to flee on Red Hare, but then go out pincushioned by Cao Army arrows.

I was really just referring to this:

Don't tell me that's normal. :colbert:

It is interesting that there's a divide of that nature between the Chinese and Japanese versions though, I wonder what caused that split.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Who the gently caress is that supposed to be anyway? Chen Gong? And what's with the bdsm horse bridle?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

5er posted:

Who the gently caress is that supposed to be anyway? Chen Gong? And what's with the bdsm horse bridle?
Yeah, it's Chen Gong. As for... you know what, I'll just say that that spear shaft was used to gag him by the troops who were defecting from Lu Bu's side after the flooding of Xiapi.

For more fun, laughs or horror: Liu Bei shares voice actors with Domon Kasshu and Ezio Auditore (Tomokazu Seki) while Cao Cao's voice actor shares voice actors with Light Yagami, Riku and so, so many more (Mamoru Miyano)

Chortles fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 28, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Chortles posted:

For more fun, laughs or horror: Liu Bei shares voice actors with Domon Kasshu and Ezio Auditore (Tomokazu Seki) while Cao Cao's voice actor shares voice actors with Light Yagami, Riku and so, so many more (Mamoru Miyano)

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't notice. I guess in my defense he wasn't flipping the gently caress out in that way only he can do.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't notice. I guess in my defense he wasn't flipping the gently caress out in that way only he can do.
You didn't see "Mister GUUAAAAAAAAN!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRf-ZoDQUfc
Or skip to 3:25 of this for Liu Bei's introduction in this series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-mNgNGIzBI
These pages in contrast are Ravages Liu Bei.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 28, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Ah, there's that scream I know and love. :allears:

Lu Bu's gimmick is weird as poo poo though. I thought it was just a one-off for that last stand scene originally posted. Turns out no, Lu Bu just trains for the opera while fighting.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

Ah, there's that scream I know and love. :allears:

Lu Bu's gimmick is weird as poo poo though. I thought it was just a one-off for that last stand scene originally posted. Turns out no, Lu Bu just trains for the opera while fighting.
I'll let you decide between the manga version (page after this is NSFW) or the anime version (skip to 3:30 if you like) of Lu Bu's debut.

The point is, read Ravages already and getcher Lu Bu on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That version of Lu Bu is black?

Ancient China was more cosmopolitan than I had been lead to believe.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

That version of Lu Bu is black?

And Guan Yu is a dilophosaurus.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I have no idea what this means, but read further into that chapter to see a Liu Bei who manages to not say "benevolence".

(As for the significance of that last page... look here. Same throne!)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Man, the manga seems way better than the anime. Not that the anime is bad, it just has some pacing issues.

Does anyone have any stages they recommend for leveling Treasure Hunter in DW8? Everything else I have is just about level 20 but Treasure Hunter is level 8 and I think I got almost all of those off of Zhang Jiao's stage.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
A bit of skewed history and legends: in the ROTK (not the real history) Lu Bu is portrayed as a brute who is disloyal since he betrayed his 2 adopted "fathers". Even in ROTK strategy games, he is always given low Intelligence with max Strength or War skill. But it's historically silly to have stupid oafs, no matter how strong, be put in position of a "general" since a "general" back then is less of a military ranking like it is now but closer to a manager of a militia. An idiot wouldn't be given that position.

Ravages of Time likes to play around with the preconception of the ROTK legends and turned it upside down, like having Diaochan be a eunuch thus obscuring her existence in history, Zhao Yun an assassin for Sima clan, Zhang Fei a cultured smart warrior because historically he was a painter, the author made Lu Bu a proper general though outsmarted by true strategic geniuses. It makes the series more entertaining if you know the stories and legends behind it.

Also interesting that Guan Yu is practically the most famous character for chinese readers while Zhao Yun was mostly ignored except for that one time he saved Liu Bei's infant son. But he is instead quite popular in japan such that he became the cover boy for most of the DW series since he is considered to be the perfect loyal soldier (even according to Zhuge Liang) so probably he is the closest of the idealized samurai code, unlike Guan Yu who had many missteps because he was pompous and full of himself.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jibo posted:

Man, the manga seems way better than the anime. Not that the anime is bad, it just has some pacing issues.
Wait, are we talking Ravages at this point or the manga version of Souten Kouro?

Keeshhound posted:

It is interesting that there's a divide of that nature between the Chinese and Japanese versions though, I wonder what caused that split.
Well, wid did allude to such a split in Zhao Yun's case as well -- perhaps that extends to more about the Three Kingdoms mythos than just Zhao Yun vs. Guan Yu?

Gotta say though, the first time that Guan Yu gets astride Red Hare is cool as gently caress though (literally any other page on that chapter but this is massive spoilers):

wid posted:

Ravages of Time likes to play around with the preconception of the ROTK legends and turned it upside down, like having Diaochan be a eunuch thus obscuring her existence in history, Zhao Yun an assassin for Sima clan, Zhang Fei a cultured smart warrior because historically he was a painter, the author made Lu Bu a proper general though outsmarted by true strategic geniuses. It makes the series more entertaining if you know the stories and legends behind it.
Interestingly enough, the bit about Zhao Yun being "mostly ignored except for that one time he saved Liu Bei's infant son" is alluded to in why the author went with Zhao Yun being an alter ego of a Sima clan assassin:

quote:

Chen Mou said he has been laying the groundwork for Liaoyuan Huo to become Zhao Yun, because he had a strange status in Liu Bei’s camp – he had high achievements, but less major assignments than his peers, and stayed by Liu Bei’s side til the end. So Chen Mou came up with Liaoyuan Huo. In the comic “this feeling of never being able to win someone’s trust is very fascinating.” Liu Bei’s trust in Liaoyuan Huo will only begin at the Changban Slope.
Mild nitpick: Ravages Liu Bei was trusting in Huo well before Changban. Otherwise though, one of the chapters ends with a blunt statement that although Zhao Yun was highly regarded, he was never given high rank, much less the title of Duke/Marquis.

The fun thing about the throne scene is that it's based on a throwaway line in the ROTK novel about Liu Bei's appearance.... oh, and "Zhao Yun" x "Diaochan" is a canonical pairing... which actually has huge consequences down the road.

The author of Ravages is on record about Lu Bu being his favorite character for being honest, unlike all those who were glorified in history because they were simply luckier in covering up their tracks:

quote:

About Lü Bu, one of the famous Three Kingdoms generals, Chen Mou once mentioned that (in a Ravages Afterword) he cried twice over Lü Bu’s death when he drew Unhuman and Ravages. Chen Mou said he liked the character Lü Bu, because Lü Bu is not a hypocrite. Many people in China’s history did what Lü Bu had done, but they always covered it up. Chen Mou likes Lü Bu’s personality, because Lü Bu is honest – if he doesn’t like his job he gets another job somewhere else; unlike the traditional hypocrisy of the Chinese people.

Chen Mou recounts the time he was drawing Lü Bu’s execution. He said, “I was super excited,” because he had been thinking about how to depict Lü Bu’s end for a long time. Lü Bu couldn’t care less for all the people he killed in battle, so why would he demean himself and beg for mercy? Because “the more you desire out of life, the more you want to live.” This bravery to beg for mercy is like how the ancient Han Xin endured the humiliation of crawling under another man’s crutch. Lü Bu knew that once he passes this obstacle, he’ll be able to continue his journey. That’s really interesting. As Chen Mou was creating the scene where the onlookers all realize what’s happening, and that they see this big shot of a glorious past demeans himself to beg for mercy, we can see how the crowd becomes silent and desperate for the execution to be over with. This manner of depiction stung many readers’ hearts. “I will keep adding this kind of humanity into Ravages.”
Why didn't it work in Ravages? Years before, Lu Bu had taunted a cornered Cao Cao years ago for trying to make a "heroic" last stand, by mocking him with the story of Goujian*; at Xiapi, Cao Cao throws back out Goujian and Han Xin's names to signal that he wouldn't risk sparing Lu Bu because of the lesson behind their stories: "live to fight another day".

* This particular name had quite the resonance in Chinese history, as this New York Times article touches on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chortles posted:

"Zhao Yun" x "Diaochan" is a canonical pairing

Wait, what? If you're not just talking about Ravages, where in ROTK is that?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, what? If you're not just talking about Ravages, where in ROTK is that?
Whaaaaa...? No, it's Ravages-specific: "Diaochan" was a two-time cover identity for the eunuch Xiao Meng, but Liaoyuan Huo -- alias "Zhao Yun" -- ended up coming out to him by warning Gan Ning off of him during a battle. Problem was, Meng used the distraction to try and chuck Gan Ning off of a cliff, but that one left Gan Ning clinging to a cliff face while Huo held onto him for dear life... but one possible translation of the term he used at Xiao Meng in telling him not to let go was wife... realizing that Huo couldn't support their weight, and contented with knowing Huo's feelings for him, Meng kissed him goodbye and kicked Huo upward so that he could be pulled up while Meng plunged to his seeming death. (The "Xiao" here is just "Little/Younger", not a surname.)

The bit about the novel was simply supposed to be that the author of Ravages took a throwaway line about Liu Bei's appearance and gave it a shitload of meaning by having Yuan Shu twice -- the other time is earlier -- talk high and mighty about his reach but then fail to grasp the right armrest of his throne, which an earlier chapter reveals is actually oversized, while you have Liu Bei here seemingly effortlessly doing so; it's my mistake to have been sticking them on the same line and thus appearing to conflate the two.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chortles posted:

Whaaaaa...? No, it's Ravages-specific: "Diaochan" was a two-time cover identity for the eunuch Xiao Meng, but Liaoyuan Huo -- alias "Zhao Yun" -- ended up coming out to him by warning Gan Ning off of him during a battle. Problem was, Meng used the distraction to try and chuck Gan Ning off of a cliff, but that one left Gan Ning clinging to a cliff face while Huo held onto him for dear life... but one possible translation of the term he used at Xiao Meng in telling him not to let go was wife... realizing that Huo couldn't support their weight, and contented with knowing Huo's feelings for him, Meng kissed him goodbye and kicked Huo upward so that he could be pulled up while Meng plunged to his seeming death. (The "Xiao" here is just "Little/Younger", not a surname.)

The bit about the novel was simply supposed to be that the author of Ravages took a throwaway line about Liu Bei's appearance and gave it a shitload of meaning by having Yuan Shu twice -- the other time is earlier -- talk high and mighty about his reach but then fail to grasp the right armrest of his throne, which an earlier chapter reveals is actually oversized, while you have Liu Bei here seemingly effortlessly doing so; it's my mistake to have been sticking them on the same line and thus appearing to conflate the two.

Ah, misread the sentence. I was aware of the stuff you mentioned in Ravages, but thought you were saying 'yep, that has its origin elsewhere as well'.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chortles posted:

I have no idea what this means,

5er
Jun 1, 2000

wid posted:

...Also interesting that Guan Yu is practically the most famous character for chinese readers while Zhao Yun was mostly ignored except for that one time he saved Liu Bei's infant son. But he is instead quite popular in japan such that he became the cover boy for most of the DW series since he is considered to be the perfect loyal soldier (even according to Zhuge Liang) so probably he is the closest of the idealized samurai code, unlike Guan Yu who had many missteps because he was pompous and full of himself.

Zhao Yun's romanticized account I think resonated with the (also dramatized) account of Sanada Nobushige's career, and Nobushige is a huge paragon of martial valor- they both drew lots with an eventually losing side but demonstrated immense martial prowess and a stoic adherence to their principles and virtues.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

5er posted:

Zhao Yun's romanticized account I think resonated with the (also dramatized) account of Sanada Nobushige's career, and Nobushige is a huge paragon of martial valor- they both drew lots with an eventually losing side but demonstrated immense martial prowess and a stoic adherence to their principles and virtues.

Also, out of the Five Tiger Generals, Zhao Yun was the only one, in both historical and romanticized accounts of the Three Kingdoms, who never acted like a dick.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
... are we talking Ravages or Souten Kouro? Because the latter also had Guan Yu riding around on his new horse naked while in Cao Cao's service... might have been an in-story dream though; the convo with a woman he was humping against a tree, not so much.

wid posted:

Also, out of the Five Tiger Generals, Zhao Yun was the only one, in both historical and romanticized accounts of the Three Kingdoms, who never acted like a dick.
I don't recall anything in either the historical or romanticized accounts about Huang Zhong as a dick, though I recognize that perceived age would still make Zhao Yun the more resonating of the two. Funny thing though is that in Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Ma Chao's cases... their dickery is, however overshadowed, part and parcel of their downfalls in the ROTK novel (Sanguoyanyi/SGYY).

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Sonata Mused posted:

Man, why do I even buy the new games? DW3 was obviously the peak.

DW8 system
DW7 storytelling
DW vol 2 story system
DW3 voice acting and free mode lines

This is the recipe for the best Dynasty Warriors game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The Orochi spin-off is perhaps my favorite thing that Omega Force puts out, and I dream of a day that they just don't give a poo poo whether or not it makes sense, they mash EVERY proprietary and licensed franchise into this glorious, hosed up, incomprehensible mega-game. I don't care what mental acrobatics it takes, this also includes Gundam.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I think Koei needs to stop making the weapon systems a game unto themselves. When I spend more time managing my weapons than in an actual mission, there is something wrong.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, misread the sentence. I was aware of the stuff you mentioned in Ravages, but thought you were saying 'yep, that has its origin elsewhere as well'.
Here's the "Zhao Yun" x "Diaochan" scene in a nutshell, minus corresponding bits like the possible-Sun Shangxiang ("Sun Shu") seeming to needle Xiao Meng over his feelings towards Liaoyuan Huo because Sun Shu's engaged to him -- both are strictly the author's creation... as was the scene of the historian Huang Da and Chen Gong talking overtly about how Dong Zhuo will be demonized in history as an ambitious pig to make Cao Cao look better.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate Trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLpTn-mQMrA

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

I should probably know this already but there's no chance of the Ultimate version coming in English is there?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here's some screenshots for Samurai Warriors 2 HD and Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends.

Lunethex posted:

I should probably know this already but there's no chance of the Ultimate version coming in English is there?

We got Orochi 3 Hyper and Tecmo Koei loves to shove revisions at us. I'd say it's fairly likely.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Policenaut posted:

We got Orochi 3 Hyper and Tecmo Koei loves to shove revisions at us. I'd say it's fairly likely.

Cool, I was mulling over Orochi 3 itself but since the most content version could come to us I'll hold out for that one.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sonata Mused posted:

I think Koei needs to stop making the weapon systems a game unto themselves. When I spend more time managing my weapons than in an actual mission, there is something wrong.

That was the worst part about 8, probably the only part I'd genuinely call awful. HAVING to go through your weapons and sell them. It got even more tedious when you started paying attention to the effects in order to preserve certain things for tempering.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like the Orochi system of weapon crafting.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Really sucks that as a 360 owner I'm getting screwed over once more not only on 8XL but on SW2HD (which sucks since SW2 is my favorite Warriors game). :sigh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Suben posted:

Really sucks that as a 360 owner I'm getting screwed over once more not only on 8XL but on SW2HD (which sucks since SW2 is my favorite Warriors game). :sigh:

Well, we're all grabbing PS4s when we finally make the transition to next-generation consoles, right? Won't ease the hurting now, but it should help for future Warriors stuff.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sonata Mused posted:

I'd say there is definitely something wrong because you shouldn't be spending that much time managing weapons in DW8 or WO3. Leave your weapons alone until you fill up your inventory then sell off everything that isn't at your highest tier of current weapon. Should take like five or ten minutes every few hours or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pureauthor posted:

I like the Orochi system of weapon crafting.

I totally do also. 8's system seemed like they were putting effort into making it worse but still functional. I wish you could temper 5 star weapons, or at least you could grind / re-run them for different traits.