Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Yes the Raid has some really cool fights but I definitely prefer Dredd. The characters in the Raid are a bit one note, whereas Dredd, Anderson, Ma-Ma and Kay are great. Though I did used to read 2000AD as a teenager and I saw Dredd first so this is probably unsurprising.

I've been watching Star Trek (the original series) and I'm nearing the end of season three. I notice Netflix has the animated series as well. Is it worth watching?

From what I remember, it's basically Star Trek: TOS cut down to 30 minutes and animated. I'd say it's worth watching a few episodes to see if it clicks with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jonny Retro posted:

From what I remember, it's basically Star Trek: TOS cut down to 30 minutes and animated. I'd say it's worth watching a few episodes to see if it clicks with you.

This is fairly accurate but it's ways stupider and there are talking cat people in it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I've started marathoning Breaking Bad to catch up in time for the finale. I just started season 3, and holy poo poo everyone on this show is a horrible shithead that I hate, but I like the show anyway. I also really like its cinematography. I should have watched this sooner.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Emron posted:

I've started marathoning Breaking Bad to catch up in time for the finale. I just started season 3, and holy poo poo everyone on this show is a horrible shithead that I hate, but I like the show anyway. I also really like its cinematography. I should have watched this sooner.

Oh man you haven't seen anything yet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Any goodwill I might have had toward this movie was blasted away by the dumb ending. Action was decent, though.
I think the ending was added on for the international version because foreigners couldn't handle the actual ending, which was just the movie you saw except without that last scene.

edit: nope Wikipedia says I got that backwards. So I guess the international cut was better. BUT the international cut was the one the director wanted. So that's the true cut, Netflix doesn't show it, turn the movie off right after the penultimate scene.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

marktheando posted:

Yes the Raid has some really cool fights but I definitely prefer Dredd. The characters in the Raid are a bit one note, whereas Dredd, Anderson, Ma-Ma and Kay are great. Though I did used to read 2000AD as a teenager and I saw Dredd first so this is probably unsurprising.

I've been watching Star Trek (the original series) and I'm nearing the end of season three. I notice Netflix has the animated series as well. Is it worth watching?

If you like Trek, but occasionally go "Okay yeah I get it now, let's skip ahead here" then animated Star Trek is definitely for you. It's like the Snack Size Trek.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
All this talk about Boondock Saints makes me wish someone (less lazy than I) would create a companion thread to Was It Really That Bad, that instead asked people to discuss well received or critical darlings which you dislike or think have aged poorly. Just off the top of my head, I know my own list includes Boondock Saints, Good Will Hunting, Donnie Darko and American Beauty.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Marketing New Brain posted:

All this talk about Boondock Saints makes me wish someone (less lazy than I) would create a companion thread to Was It Really That Bad, that instead asked people to discuss well received or critical darlings which you dislike or think have aged poorly. Just off the top of my head, I know my own list includes Boondock Saints, Good Will Hunting, Donnie Darko and American Beauty.

I don't know, a thread based on the premise of 'you know that movie most people like? It actually sucks' might turn hostile pretty quick.

However, if you feel strongly about the idea, make the thread yourself.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

If we're going kinda limp, morally suspect '90s Quentin Tarantino ripoffs, I'd pick Thursday, myself.

Ah yes, Thursday, the only movie I thought I would ever have to see a rape by envelopment scene in until James Gunn decided it was a good idea as well. That loving movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched Our Idiot Brother. It was pretty good and I recommend it wholeheartedly. Paul Rudd plays a well-meaning super nice manchild whose shocking habit of being honest about things, all the time, totally disrupts the lives of everyone around him.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

We may have different definitions of 'critical darlings'
Boondock Saints - 44%
Good Will Hunting - 70%
Donnie Darko - 71% (decent but hardly a 'critical darling')

IMO a critical darling is something that got rave reviews but wasn't a hit per se -- basically Wong Kar Wai's oeuvre (sans My Blueberry Nights) or Before Sunrise / Sunset / Midnight

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nice one I will give animated Star Trek a go. I was thinking I had almost watched all the good Star Trek, since I have watched most of TNG, TOS and DS9 and all the movies. I hadn't watched much tv Star Trek before Netflix but I've been (mostly) enjoying it a lot.

Slate Action posted:

I don't know, a thread based on the premise of 'you know that movie most people like? It actually sucks' might turn hostile pretty quick.

However, if you feel strongly about the idea, make the thread yourself.

Yeah I'm sure I read a 'most overrated movie' thread before that just degenerated into tedious arguments when some poster's favourite movie was inevitably brought up.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A movie can still have a low score on RT and have a lot of people (even professional critics) just absolutely gush over how great it is.

Personally, I'd sort of prefer a 'bad review' thread where instead of reviewing movies, we'd go and review (Semi-)professional reviews that made us scratch our heads at how off the mark we felt they were.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

JediTalentAgent posted:

A movie can still have a low score on RT and have a lot of people (even professional critics) just absolutely gush over how great it is.

Personally, I'd sort of prefer a 'bad review' thread where instead of reviewing movies, we'd go and review (Semi-)professional reviews that made us scratch our heads at how off the mark we felt they were.

Who watches the Watchmen watchers?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Is this the thread you're looking for?

Was it really that bad? Let's watch badly reviewed movies

Edit: fixed thread title

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bolek posted:

Ah yes, Thursday, the only movie I thought I would ever have to see a rape by envelopment scene in until James Gunn decided it was a good idea as well. That loving movie.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty grotesquely mean-spirited, unpleasantly nihilistic movie, but at least it comes by it more honestly than Boondock Saints.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

We may have different definitions of 'critical darlings'
Boondock Saints - 44%
Good Will Hunting - 70%
Donnie Darko - 71% (decent but hardly a 'critical darling')

IMO a critical darling is something that got rave reviews but wasn't a hit per se -- basically Wong Kar Wai's oeuvre (sans My Blueberry Nights) or Before Sunrise / Sunset / Midnight

People have certainly soured on some of the titles I named, but I can assure you ten years ago Boondock Saints had a large following and popularity for a movie I'm not even sure got a wide release. Good Will Hunting was nominated for nine Oscars. Let's not pretend metacritic scores actually reveal anything about a movies reception, much less movies released over a decade ago. I'm not sure what tomatometer score would satisfy you as "a critical darling" but I think you are missing the overall point. I used the criteria "well received" first because I was trying to spark discussion on movies that were more within the cultural consciousness. I suppose you could classify Boondock Saints and Donnie Darko as cult hits more than critical darlings, but the point wasn't to get in a semantics debate.

e: I also debated just making the thread but assumed it would result in low effort "edgy" trolling or pointless bickering.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 29, 2013

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
Miao Miao is a surprisingly touching Chinese "young love" film with gay/lesbian themes and really beautiful cinematography. Its main category is "comedy" but I have no idea why. I cried more than I laughed.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

People have certainly soured on some of the titles I named, but I can assure you ten years ago Boondock Saints had a large following and popularity for a movie I'm not even sure got a wide release.

It barely got a theatrical release and was then a BLOCKBUSTER EXCLUSIVE on VHS...

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

FishBulb posted:

It barely got a theatrical release and was then a BLOCKBUSTER EXCLUSIVE on VHS...

The blurb on Wikipedia indicates it had poor critical reception, but did 50 million in domestic video sales. There is no reliable metric for whether or not a movie was popular or well liked, it was just one of a few movies I mentioned I remembered hearing people gush about a decade ago.

I'm not sure what part of the text you quoted you disagree with, but I have to imagine 50 million in video sales for an essentially straight to DVD movie in 1999 makes it an extreme outlier.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Despite the poor box office of Boondock Saints, it was highly hyped on the internet prior to release and spent probably the next 5-10 years constantly getting thrown on 'best cult movies you've never seen' lists all over the place.

Also, it's essentially a comic book movie sans having comic book origins. With every Batman and Daredevil that came out, I'm sure there were folks saying, "Oh, but if you want to see a vigilante movie, check Saints!" Then you get Saints Row series of games that likely helps people see it as a spiritual precursor in some ways to that gaming franchise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

If we're going kinda limp, morally suspect '90s Quentin Tarantino ripoffs, I'd pick Thursday, myself.

Or Killing Zoe, which is on Netflix.

The last time I remember Beauty coming up in CD, it was 90% people saying "Yeah, that movie wasn't any good" so I don't think you're alone there.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It could be interesting but it's been done and inevitably turns into a "Star Wars sucks" "gently caress you" shitfest. Maybe the third time's the charm?

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

precision posted:

To be fair, Tarantino was an executive producer on that film, and it was written/directed by Roger Avary. So calling it a straight-up Tarantino rip-off is maybe being a little harsh. However, I'm sure his name was used all over the marketing to confuse people into thinking he wrote/directed it, which is maybe worse.

Miracle Max
May 26, 2005

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

precision posted:

Well Avery did co write Pulp Fiction and True Romance with Tarantino, so I wouldn't say that it's as much of a rip off as say maybe Reservoir Dogs is of City On Fire.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Because it's the kind of big budget action spectacular that died out twenty years ago to be replaced with increasingly sterile disaster movies. It's rare when a movie like this comes around

Hahahahah yeah the only movies that come out nowadays are "sterile disaster movies". We need to start seeing more big budget action movies based on comic book heroes!! When was the last time one of those came out anyway

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
No Such Thing is expiring soon, everyone should watch it because it's great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HP Hovercraft posted:

No Such Thing is expiring soon, everyone should watch it because it's great.

Yes, not the best Hartley but one of his top 3 for sure. Robert John Burke is fantastic, and Sarah Polley is good but I do wonder how Parker Posey would have been since that was his original intent and she had been so good in his Henry Fool (and after No Such Thing, Fay Grim, and she's coming back for Ned Rifle which I am ridiculously excited about).

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

cheerfullydrab posted:

I watched Our Idiot Brother. It was pretty good and I recommend it wholeheartedly. Paul Rudd plays a well-meaning super nice manchild whose shocking habit of being honest about things, all the time, totally disrupts the lives of everyone around him.

I liked it too. There were times where I felt like it was getting stale but it won me over by the end because of how awesomely sweet and endearing Paul's character was.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

marktheando posted:

Yes.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

Despite the poor box office of Boondock Saints, it was highly hyped on the internet prior to release and spent probably the next 5-10 years constantly getting thrown on 'best cult movies you've never seen' lists all over the place.

Also, it's essentially a comic book movie sans having comic book origins. With every Batman and Daredevil that came out, I'm sure there were folks saying, "Oh, but if you want to see a vigilante movie, check Saints!" Then you get Saints Row series of games that likely helps people see it as a spiritual precursor in some ways to that gaming franchise.

What? How is Boondock Saints in any way similar to the Saints Row games? They have almost absolutely nothing in common other than the word Saints in the title.

MailboxFullOfBombs fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 29, 2013

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

What episode is this from? I've seen this gif before and it's amazing.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

What episode is this from? I've seen this gif before and it's amazing.
The Magicks of Megas-tu, the eighth episode of the first season.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

grahf987 posted:

Kind of late, but Saxondale really is awesome. Its like watching your old pathetic/compelling neighbor/dad dick around with people. My favorite character is a squatter (played by Coogan) who changed his name to Keanu Reeves. Its the first thing Max recommended to me and im in its debt for it, even though it has been pretty hit and miss after that. Also watch The Trip, not just funny but has an air of melancholy to it also.

Thanks for this, I'm on ep 5 already and love it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

PonchAxis posted:

Oh man you haven't seen anything yet.
poo poo yeah, this show just keeps topping itself somehow. When you think "how can anything get any crazier than (season 2 spoiler)Jesse and Walt getting kidnapped by a methed-out drug dealer and hauled out to a house in the middle of the desert, then it does! And in this case, it does right away, because it ends with a huge shootout between Tuco and Hank. The action scenes are filmed fantastically, that scene and a very similar one in Season 3 (which goes on to top the first one) still give me chills.

I'm re-marathoning Breaking Bad in preparation for the finale, and it's even better the second time around. There are a lot of little details to catch.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Watched Ronin again. Probably seen this movie 5-6 times at this point. Still thoroughly enjoyable. That goddamn tire smoke...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Love Ronin. Some of the best car chase scenes ever filmed. The reactions of the cast during the chases was great too, as they were required to actually drive the cars during the chases. When Deniro looks like he's freaked out, it's because he's making GBS threads his pants at 100 miles per hour.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Word of warning with Ronin: the French subtitles are missing in the Netflix transfer. You don't miss much other than meta-narrative but it's a little odd when two characters have a 5-minute dialog scene without letting you in on what's going on.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Impossible to say for me since I've seen it with the subs but it's kind of better if you infer what they say rather than having it spelled out. I don't know, they could get rid of half the dialogue in the thing and just exchange pensive glances and I would love it all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Can anyone recommend a good TV show on Netflix to watch while trying to fall asleep? Something focused more on dialog than visuals, that doesn't have an ongoing storyline (so I won't miss anything important if I doze off halfway through an episode) and ideally has at least a couple seasons available. I'm starting my second run through all 13 seasons of King of the Hill, but it might be time for something new.

• Locked thread