Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

toxicsunset posted:

Do you wanna go

I can't believe you got someone to bite on the first one to set you up for this one. Perfect follow up. Well done.

Acethomas posted:

I'm upgrading again if you want any of my gear, did my old pants fit your friend okay?
Also wrapped on Lakewood Ice's LTP league and I'm heading to Bronze West!

Jesus christ dude. Again?? Just kidding. The pants were a little small for him but they worked. Thanks again for that.

What are you upgrading and what are you asking price wise -- I'll see if he's looking for anything.

And congrats on the LTP class! That is great that you are joining a league! I might actually be helping a friend start a beginner 4v4 team on monday nights at Toyota if you're interested. It looks somewhat unlikely that he'll get enough players but I'll keep you posted.

Edit: also why Lakewood? Skating edge/Torrance is in your back yard right or did you move? And they have a pretty good aluminum league for beginners to hop in.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

If you have never at least got into a shoving match you're probably a coward and a wuss and should be a little ashamed of your tiny penis

I'm laying in bed sick as a dog and died laughing at this post.

All good sellouts. I'd put more words but I'm going to take a nap instead. I got scrubs to fight in drop-in tomorrow.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

Jesus christ dude. Again?? Just kidding. The pants were a little small for him but they worked. Thanks again for that.

It's good to know that goalies aren't the only gear whores.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Aniki posted:

It's good to know that goalies aren't the only gear whores.

Every time I get a jersey, within the next 2-4 weeks I'll get gloves to match. It's a sickness.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AceThomas has an addiction the likes of which I've never seen. Most goalies are limited because their gear is expensive, no? If I was starting out he'd be my best friend because he'd hand down really nice stuff before the stink sets in.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

I can't believe you got someone to bite on the first one to set you up for this one. Perfect follow up. Well done.

What are you upgrading and what are you asking price wise -- I'll see if he's looking for anything.

And congrats on the LTP class! That is great that you are joining a league! I might actually be helping a friend start a beginner 4v4 team on monday nights at Toyota if you're interested. It looks somewhat unlikely that he'll get enough players but I'll keep you posted.

Edit: also why Lakewood? Skating edge/Torrance is in your back yard right or did you move? And they have a pretty good aluminum league for beginners to hop in.

I'll know better after the labor day sales, probably pants and shoulder, my shin/gloves have been beat up pretty bad and I'll probably just toss. Keeping helmet, e700 still the best. If I get anything new I can give away whatever.
The placement league at Lakewood just seemed awesome and I knew some people in it and now many of them are going onto make their own team so its just working out. I moved down to Playa Del Rey from Culver so its still about 30 minute drive.
My new team is Tues/Thurs so I might be able to do Monday's but I could also fall apart at any moment.

Basically I make good money and like cool new gear. New Easton sticks coming out might get me too :)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

If it hasn't set in yet that was a very sarcastic joke post

It was still a dumb post.

Recreations in Logic
Jan 17, 2001

JetsGuy posted:

Oh cool the USA Olympic jerseys are in! Maybe ill buy tw...

http://imgur.com/vlTRyxP

:stare:

Zero. I will buy zero.

Seriously what the gently caress is wrong with sports apparel guys. There's no way in hell those are reasonable prices.

Fake laces. Awesome.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Recreations in Logic posted:

Fake laces. Awesome.

The real jerseys have fake laces why wouldn't the replicas

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

toxicsunset posted:

The real jerseys have fake laces why wouldn't the replicas

I'm also just annoyed at these things costing so goddamned much. Like do the guys who set prices for jerseys not loving understand that if they cut the price of a hockey jersey down to half I'd buy exponentially more? As it is, I have bought only one NHL jersey ever because they demand at least $180 for them.

If they were like $80? I'd have like one or two a year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but you're in the minority. Go to any NHL game and assuming the stadium is full, you'll see 15,000 people wearing the same shirt. If the team changes the pattern again, those same people will buy a new one.

There's no reason to lower the price when you have a captive audience like that. The thousands of dollars they make off each "superfan" is a heck of a lot more than the few hundred they'd make off you buying cheap jerseys.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Yeah but you're in the minority. Go to any NHL game and assuming the stadium is full, you'll see 15,000 people wearing the same shirt. If the team changes the pattern again, those same people will buy a new one.

There's no reason to lower the price when you have a captive audience like that. The thousands of dollars they make off each "superfan" is a heck of a lot more than the few hundred they'd make off you buying cheap jerseys.

The 'superfans' would buy more too!

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Recreations in Logic posted:

Fake laces. Awesome.

The fake laces are the least of the problem to me. I know Nike employs designers who are capable of producing an attractive product, so who is responsible for this? The color selection and the tulip crest are just depressing.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I just checked the stats for my league and realized how bad my team is. I mean obviously we were losing a lot but I forgot how badly we were getting blown out until I actually looked at the standings. 3 wins 15 losses, 33 goals for and 76 goals against. I have 13 goals in 12 games this season, over a third of the team's offense.

On the plus side, since we're on the bottom there's nowhere to go but up! Hockey is the best.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

The 'superfans' would buy more too!

A lower price makes it less exclusive (see: the snob effect). I'm not saying we're dealing with a Giffen good here, but Nike's marketing department gets paid well to find the profit-maximizing price of a jersey.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

e: nevermind.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 3, 2013

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

AceThomas has an addiction the likes of which I've never seen. Most goalies are limited because their gear is expensive, no? If I was starting out he'd be my best friend because he'd hand down really nice stuff before the stink sets in.

I upgraded everything but helmet :( if he needs anything.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dangerllama posted:

A lower price makes it less exclusive (see: the snob effect). I'm not saying we're dealing with a Giffen good here, but Nike's marketing department gets paid well to find the profit-maximizing price of a jersey.

Well sure, most marketing departments are supposed to be good at the basic mathematics required to find the maxima of the profit curve.

It just seems odd to me that jerseys wouldn't sell at 10x the rate if they halved the price. Maybe I'm wrong, and they know that half the price only means twice the sales (or less). With the cost to make a jersey somewhere around 1$ a piece, I just don't get it.

But that's why I'm not in marketing.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

JetsGuy posted:

Well sure, most marketing departments are supposed to be good at the basic mathematics required to find the maxima of the profit curve.

It just seems odd to me that jerseys wouldn't sell at 10x the rate if they halved the price. Maybe I'm wrong, and they know that half the price only means twice the sales (or less). With the cost to make a jersey somewhere around 1$ a piece, I just don't get it.

But that's why I'm not in marketing.

I think most casual fans, probably me included, wouldn't buy more jerseys if they were cheaper. There's no jersey I want that I do not currently have, for example. You tend to buy the player you want, and unless a new player comes along, stick with that one.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

toxicsunset posted:

I think most casual fans, probably me included, wouldn't buy more jerseys if they were cheaper. There's no jersey I want that I do not currently have, for example. You tend to buy the player you want, and unless a new player comes along, stick with that one.

Maybe I'm in the minority then, because I wanted a Revis jersey for years, and never bought one because gently caress spending over 150$ for one.

I'd have bought at least 2 (green and NY Titans) if they were reasonably priced.

And NHL jerseys are the worst offenders. I've only had one NHL jersey my whole life and that's because it was a Christmas gift. I'd have a whole team of Devils jerseys otherwise.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

JetsGuy posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority then, because I wanted a Revis jersey for years, and never bought one because gently caress spending over 150$ for one.

I'd have bought at least 2 (green and NY Titans) if they were reasonably priced.

And NHL jerseys are the worst offenders. I've only had one NHL jersey my whole life and that's because it was a Christmas gift. I'd have a whole team of Devils jerseys otherwise.

It's not just you. I probably would've bought 5-6 jerseys over the years but I'm too drat cheap.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you think hockey jerseys are bad (between $120-160) euro soccer jerseys run around $100+ for a glorified technical tee shirt.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Do you guys buy your NHL jerseys from the NHL store or elsewhere? I don't want a Chinese knockoff but I also want a Loui Eriksson Bruins jersey that doesn't have the finals patch and those are the only replica jerseys on the NHL store that are available in medium.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't buy NHL jerseys because they're a ripoff.

Though I do want a blank habs jersey for rat hockey.. I just need to man up and order one from one of the chinese knockoff companies.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chinese knockoffs are the only way to go.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Chinese knockoffs are the only way to go.

I've heard wonders about TaraJerseys, but I keep imagining them literally falling apart with the slightest breeze.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My concern isn't so much about quality, I know it's gonna be iffy.

I just have reservations about handing my credit card number to some grey market merchant in another country.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Are you 80? The worst that happens is you have to cancel your card and get a new one, there's no financial risk.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Or if you're that terribly paranoid get a pre-paid visa from somewhere

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Or get a virtual account number that you can use only once.

My knockoff jersey was fine. I bought it on a whim, but I don't wear jerseys anymore unless I am playing.

For NHL licensed merchandise I'm all about the speedwick shirts from eBay right now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

Are you 80? The worst that happens is you have to cancel your card and get a new one, there's no financial risk.

I don't like ordering things on the world wide webs. I hear it's dangerous.

e: I got Zetterberg/Osgood and Brady Quinn Cleveland Browns (jealous Hockles?) jerseys from TaraJersey a few years back. Other than the name plate font being a little different from what they actually use, they look great. NHL hologram tag, fight strap (this is useful for fighting scrubs in drop-in), it's all there. It did take 6-8 weeks to arrive though.

e2: VVV :smith::hf::smith:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 4, 2013

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Brady Quinn Cleveland Browns (jealous Hockles?)

I own both a Brady Quinn and a Charlie Frye jersey. That is why I don't buy jerseys anymore.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

I don't like ordering things on the world wide webs. I hear it's dangerous.

I don't think it is unusual to be concerned about giving your credit card information to a business selling counterfeit jerseys. There are protections built in with most credit cards and on the merchant side, the customer can issue a chargeback and enough chargebacks can lead to a company potentially losing their merchant account. It would also be reasonable to have concerns about how securely they store their data. If things go wrong it could be a hassle to get straightened out and I'm not sure that's worth saving some money on a jersey, but I guess that answer will be different for everyone.

I'm not really a fan of these. I agree that jerseys are priced unreasonably and that RBK and the NHL should make some concessions and reduce the price to make it easier for people to purchase officially licensed goods, but I'm not sure if the desire is there.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

You know who wears hockey jerseys as a fashion statement? Kevin Smith. Don't be Kevin Smith.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am in no danger of becoming Kevin Smith because I'd have to double my daily calorie intake to pull it off.

Also, I don't wear shorts so there's that too.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Shorts are cool. Cargo shorts, however, are not cool. And though it goes without saying, jorts are an abomination. Even worse still, a crime against humanity in fact--baggy jorts.

But really, jerseys are for playing hockey in and wearing to games. That's it. Maybe to a bar on playoff night, maybe.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Gio posted:

But really, jerseys are for playing hockey in and wearing to games. That's it. Maybe to a bar on playoff night, maybe.

I'd wear my fitted chick jersey to a bar on a playoff night and feel no shame.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'd wear my fitted chick jersey to a bar on a playoff night and feel no shame.

I totally do too!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

D C posted:

I totally do too!

sellouts told me that your figure looks fantastic in them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

This popped up on my facebook feed. Looked back the last couple of pages and didn't see it so thought I'd share.

http://highactionhockey.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/mens-league-youre-doing-it-wrong/