Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So this is more a GoT mod thing, I think, but I tried giving an Ironborn game a spin, After the Spring scenario, which quickly escalated into everywhere but the Crownlands, Reach and Dorne fighting and winning an independence war against Aerys. I get an alliance with the Lannisters going afterwards, and then notice THIS guy shortly before I get called into a war with the Reynes:

I put him into an army just to see what happens, and needless to say before the year's done my game crashes. Anyone know WTF?

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 30, 2008
I am super confused by succession in this game. I'm playing as the Byzantine emperor and in trying to take Italy I married a claimant. I then pressed this claim and took Italy for her. While she's independent, I figured our first child (a son, who I landed to ensure he'd be my vassal) would inherit Italy.

It now appears that her successor is her sister, the former queen of Italy, followed by her sister's children, not my son. I can't figure out why this is.

The succession laws are set to gavelkind.
The crown authority is medium.
Her successors are all of her dynasty, while my son is not, and he is not of age yet. I don't think either of these usually matter though.

Can somebody tell me what I'm missing here?

EDIT: Ok, we just had twin daughters and now they're set to inherit. So I'm guessing it's because I landed my son? That or she's running some feudal feminist regime the game's not telling me about. The problem here is still that I want to make Italy my vassal which won't happen if my daughters inherit.

Guest fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 29, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Here's where my first Ua Briain playthrough is at right now:

After two crusades and a slew of holy wars, King Congalach has the largest army in the world (just slightly more than the Ilkhanate) and is by far the most famous and pious man in the world. He can mobilize about 115K. He also has a harelip. :smith:

Castile was a nice solid block taking up almost all the rest of Spain, so I decided I wanted to cause a succession crisis in Castile so I could go to war against rebelling vassals and hoover up a couple more de jure counties in Andalusia.

Apparently everyone hated the entire succession line, because I was able to get 500-780% plot power over and over and had wiped out all the heirs within two years. Two kings and four queens. This made the thrones of Castile and Galicia fall out of the Jimena dynasty into a French princess' control. Spain imploded.

As did France.

As did the Holy Roman Empire.

Three of my main rivals completely and rapidly fragmented into a giant mess of wars that are all directly related to the Castile succession crisis.

:black101:

Please, please, please foe the love of God move your capital.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Guest posted:

I am super confused by succession in this game. I'm playing as the Byzantine emperor and in trying to take Italy I married a claimant. I then pressed this claim and took Italy for her. While she's independent, I figured our first child (a son, who I landed to ensure he'd be my vassal) would inherit Italy.

It now appears that her successor is her sister, the former queen of Italy, followed by her sister's children, not my son. I can't figure out why this is.

The succession laws are set to gavelkind.
The crown authority is medium.
Her successors are all of her dynasty, while my son is not, and he is not of age yet. I don't think either of these usually matter though.

Can somebody tell me what I'm missing here?

EDIT: Ok, we just had twin daughters and now they're set to inherit. So I'm guessing it's because I landed my son? That or she's running some feudal feminist regime the game's not telling me about. The problem here is still that I want to make Italy my vassal which won't happen if my daughters inherit.

Gavelkind skips over already-landed characters because of a semi exploit people were using where they gave their heir all their counties so you didn't ever lose titles on gavelkind succession.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What the hell!? I restored the Roman Empire and now my succession is all hosed up!

The laws say the Roman Empire runs on A-C Primogeniture but now my younger son is the heir and my titles are going to be split Gavelkind style among them. They were both born in the purple! WHY!?

Dec 30, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Gavelkind skips over already-landed characters because of a semi exploit people were using where they gave their heir all their counties so you didn't ever lose titles on gavelkind succession.

Well gently caress. I mean, I get that, but it's kind of dumb when the land the character holds isn't even part of the kingdom. So is my only option here to divorce my wife and start slowly fabricating claims and carving up the kingdom?

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the hell!? I restored the Roman Empire and now my succession is all hosed up!

The laws say the Roman Empire runs on A-C Primogeniture but now my younger son is the heir and my titles are going to be split Gavelkind style among them. They were both born in the purple! WHY!?

Rome has born in purple succession as I recall, you should have a honorary title you can give to your first born that will make him heir again though.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Brutus Salad posted:

Rome has born in purple succession as I recall, you should have a honorary title you can give to your first born that will make him heir again though.

They were both born in the purple though, and it isn't like one was born after the restoration either, they were both born years before it.

EDIT: Seems like it was one of those changing tag things, saved, quit and reloaded and it's fine now.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 29, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Johan announced today that they're adding Cloud saves, Workshop support, and achievements in the next patch. Plus ironmode will either be added then or will follow at some point later. Good stuff!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Allyn posted:

God, decadence needs a rework so badly

Why is decadence so broken?

I've not played a Muslim game for long enough to have any issue with it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Patch 1.12/2.00 is Steam-only.

I can hear the GamersGate owners scream from here. :allears:

e: glad Workshop integration is being announced. After the fourth or fifth GOT mod update was announced I was hoping "Christ, they really need to make this easier".

TinTower fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 29, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

You're pretty much forced to only keep one branch of your dynasty alive. And personally, I think that's a dumb concept. I love having huge, sprawling dynasties, but it's just untenable as a Muslim. I could understand if you were resitrcted compared to Catholics (hell, not being able to marry matrilineally does that anyway), but it's gone too far in that direction as far as I can stand. If you try and keep lots of branches alive, then there will inevitably be multiple cousins who don't get landed by their parents, and you'll get hosed over.

The two big issues:
The easiest way to lower decadence is to expand and hand out titles to dynasty members. Except expanding makes your realm size go up, and a larger realm size increases the rate at which new unlanded characters add decadence. It snowballs. And it removes a lot of control over both your realm and stability in succession.
Requiring 2-4 wives means you get shitloads of kids, and shitloads of kids means shitloads of people that increase decadence.

The only realistic long-term option is imprison + execute, which, granted, is free of the tyranny penalty. But that simply means that it's forcing you in that one direction of dealing with it. There does need to be some downside to playing Muslims, because they probably get the best set of bonuses of any playable characters (free temple holdings, jizya tax, great starting tech and the best succession law in the game), but I really don't like the balance it's struck at the moment.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, the trailer, this thread and the Skyrim mod have made me fall in love with the game and I want to try it buuuuuuuut it's thirty quid at the moment. How often does the game go on sale?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

poptart_fairy posted:

Alright, the trailer, this thread and the Skyrim mod have made me fall in love with the game and I want to try it buuuuuuuut it's thirty quid at the moment. How often does the game go on sale?

All the time, and frequently at 75% off. It's well worth waiting since most of the DLC gets discounted at the same time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

All the time. There's often a $15 pack on Amazon that has it + all the DLC.

zyang31
Oct 26, 2007

Guest posted:

Well gently caress. I mean, I get that, but it's kind of dumb when the land the character holds isn't even part of the kingdom. So is my only option here to divorce my wife and start slowly fabricating claims and carving up the kingdom?

Not necessarily. Once ur wife dies, ur son will inherit a strong claim which can be pressed at any time. Worst case he gets a weak claim, but since his sisters will inherit, u can press it any time.
Just make sure ur wife does before ur son

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

zyang31 posted:

Not necessarily. Once ur wife dies, ur son will inherit a strong claim which can be pressed at any time. Worst case he gets a weak claim, but since his sisters will inherit, u can press it any time.
Just make sure ur wife does before ur son

The sister/Aunt shouldnt be inheriting before him at all, unless they are running Absolute Cognatic which I doubt. Regardless of whether or not the son is landed.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

The Humble Weekly bundle this week is going to be Paradox-themed, with CK2 in the beat the average bracket for about $6/£4. So wait until 8pm British time for that to come up

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool, thanks guys. Looks like I'm waiting for the bundle.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

ARGH, I just bought Old Gods!

Wondering if it's possible to press for multiple claims if you're already in a war for one? I keep gaining claims in the middle of wars, it's very annoying to get them and have to wait ten years for the truce to be over.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

lenoon posted:

Wondering if it's possible to press for multiple claims if you're already in a war for one? I keep gaining claims in the middle of wars, it's very annoying to get them and have to wait ten years for the truce to be over.

Stab the person you have a truce with. Problem solved!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lenoon posted:

It's not possible to add new war aims in the middle of a war. But you don't need to wait ten years- your truce is with the ruler not the country. So stab the ruler you have the truce with and you will be able to declare on the new ruler.

Edit- beaten to stabbing advice.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Man why wasn't that the first thing that sprung to mind?

(oh because my high intrigue ruler with a shitton of money to spend on assassinations who was well loved around the world for extra plot power managed to get himself and his heir killed, leaving my useless second son to do all the stabbing)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Allyn posted:

Johan announced today that they're adding Cloud saves, Workshop support, and achievements in the next patch. Plus ironmode will either be added then or will follow at some point later. Good stuff!

Awesome. I hope they make Ironman/achievements available for mod games (because I basically never play vanilla anymore but I still need help to kick my savescumming habit).

(also the the anti-Steam zealots in that thread are hilarious).

Dec 30, 2008

SpRahl posted:

The sister/Aunt shouldnt be inheriting before him at all, unless they are running Absolute Cognatic which I doubt. Regardless of whether or not the son is landed.

I figured out what the problem was. The title I gave my son was what I assumed was the Duchy of Rome, but was actually the Prince-Archbishopric of Rome. So by giving him that title I accidentally churched him and made him unable to inherit. Whoops. Fortunately for me that son was murdered by one of his vassals and I had another son afterwards. :cool:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

lenoon posted:

Aside from stabbing, you can induce the vassals to rebel against the ruler. A rebelling vassal is considered independent and not covered by any peace treaty you might have with their ruler, so you can use the opportunity to swoop in and grab one title per rebelling vassal if you're quick enough.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I get a lot of my best expansion by quick grabbing rebelling idiots. I'm surprised there aren't any penalties to this. I'd be loving pissed and out for blood if one of my idiot vassals rebelled and some random neighbour invaded and peaced out before I could take back my vassal.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
What's a good starting character/strategy for forming Russia? In my current game I started as Novgorod and wanted to start out by forming Rus. Unfortunately Rostov beat me to it, then Rus was promptly conquered by the Byzantines and stayed that way for 150 years, effectively boxing me in :argh:

It's now like 1330 and I control Rus and Lithuania, am about to form Ruthenia( a chunk of it is still controlled by Ilkhanate, but I have enough to create the title) and about half of Perm is controlled by Ilkhanate. The good news is that my armies are only about 10k less than Ilkhanate, so I might be able to challenge them soon.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I get a lot of my best expansion by quick grabbing rebelling idiots. I'm surprised there aren't any penalties to this. I'd be loving pissed and out for blood if one of my idiot vassals rebelled and some random neighbour invaded and peaced out before I could take back my vassal.

The penalty is pretty much that it can happen to you. Beware of idiot border vassals who rebel while all your troops are busy raiding or crusading or something on the other side of the map. Oh poor stupid Jarl of Northumbria, don't you realise that England has de jure claims on all your poo poo? :argh:

Sheen Sheen posted:

What's a good starting character/strategy for forming Russia? In my current game I started as Novgorod and wanted to start out by forming Rus. Unfortunately Rostov beat me to it, then Rus was promptly conquered by the Byzantines and stayed that way for 150 years, effectively boxing me in :argh:

It's now like 1330 and I control Rus and Lithuania, am about to form Ruthenia( a chunk of it is still controlled by Ilkhanate, but I have enough to create the title) and about half of Perm is controlled by Ilkhanate. The good news is that my armies are only about 10k less than Ilkhanate, so I might be able to challenge them soon.

If you have Old Gods Rurik himself is a fun (but difficult) start.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

FingersMaloy posted:

Can the vassal of the emperor become an emperor?

I'm playing as the Republic of Venice as a vassal to the Byzantine Emperor. I hold a big chuck of Italy and my end-game is to create the Empire (Grand Republic?) of Italy. I want to stay within the protection of Byzantium because the HRE is a huge entity on two continents. I'm picking off pieces when HRE goes into turmoil. I rather like playing the politics of the Byzantines, too, as well as floating between the patriarch and the pope so I'm not trying to be independent any time soon.

Vassals cannot form a title of the same level as their liege. You'll need to first declare independence (and win the independence war) before you can create the Empire of Italy.

EDIT:

Geokinesis posted:

1) Decadence only affects you and not your whole dynasty. Because of this, there's no incentive for other members of your family to manage decadence (if the AI even can)
2) Decadence doesn't seem like it works as intended. My gut feeling is that the intention of the mechanic is that you need to keep expanding so you can keep landing your relatives, but the "real" best way to manage decadence is to simply kill everyone when they come of age if they don't look like they would be a useful heir. Similarly, the decadence relief from landing someone is paltry (like, maybe 1% for a duchy) compared to things like fighting holy wars or even random Ramadan events.
3) There are game-y as hell ways to manage decadence. One time when I was having trouble keeping it under control (before I understood how the mechanic works), I realized that by holy warring all the various 1-county counts in Ireland I could drop out like 70% decadence within seconds.

jpmeyer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 29, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Haven't played a Muslim in forever but I think being below your demense limit reduces decadence generation.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, I wish they'd do a Sword of Islam II or something and take a completely fresh look at Muslims from the ground up to make them as fun as Norse. In a game that's all about family and interpersonal relationships a mechanism that requires you to keep your family tiny and kill them all all the time is pretty bad. I don't find Muslims fun to play with the current mechanics at all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I wish they'd do a Sword of Islam II or something and take a completely fresh look at Muslims from the ground up to make them as fun as Norse. In a game that's all about family and interpersonal relationships a mechanism that requires you to keep your family tiny and kill them all all the time is pretty bad. I don't find Muslims fun to play with the current mechanics at all.

Agreed. CK2+ pretty much removes the whole decadence mechanic and it makes Muslims a lot more fun to play, but I would love an official change. Maybe an 'Abrahamic faiths' DLC that adds Judaism and tweaks Islam and Christianity (reworks decadence, adds Cardinals and monastic orders etc).

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Modding question, the wiki isn't very clear about it but what files/folders are 'fixed' and you can only make changes by making a copy of the existing file, and which ones can you create complete new files for? It seems like you should be able to create empty event and localization files but I'm not sure.

Also, I saw some talk of a 'blank events' bug a while back where you get events ingame that have no text / no options and I've run into it myself now, I'm just not sure what recent change I made may have caused it. IIRC the only changes I made in the most recent edit were new events and the localization changes to go with it, and as far as I can tell all the events 'should' work properly, all have proper entries in the localization file I've been modifying, my brackets are even, etc. So I'm not sure what might be causing the blank events, which are popping up roughly 4 days after loading my existing save, far sooner than any of the new events should be able to. Any ideas of other things I should check?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Game installed. That...that is a lot of DLC to purchase. :catstare:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Game installed. That...that is a lot of DLC to purchase. :catstare:

Most of it is cosmetic (but still worth grabbing on sale anyways. Except for Mediterranean Faces). The main ones to get are Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Republic, and The Old Gods. Sunset Invasion is only if you want reverse-Aztecs.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Guys, seriously.

STOP EXECUTING YOUR RELATIVES AS MUSLIM.

They stop collecting decadence simply by being in prison. You don't need to kill them. Their being there gives you an added benefit, too. Basically, you can release them from prison and then immediately land them for a big blow to decadence, and hey, that guy that used to hate you and cause your realm to slowly gain big scary numbers is now your best friend. Your constantly releasing prisoners (and giving them the better accommodations while they're in prison) will ensure that just about everyone loves you. Except, of course, your relatives that are angry you're putting all their kids in jail, but THEM, well, you can execute with no penalty at all. Just crush the tiny baby man rebellion and install one of the other imprisoned relatives in their place.

Hold Ramadan any time the big scary numbers look too scary to you---it doesn't even have to be every year, seriously. And that's it. That is how you handle decadence.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

AfroSquirrel posted:

Most of it is cosmetic (but still worth grabbing on sale anyways. Except for Mediterranean Faces). The main ones to get are Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Republic, and The Old Gods. Sunset Invasion is only if you want reverse-Aztecs.

Cool, thanks. That narrows it down a little bit.

Just going to run through the tutorial stuff and screw about before I make dip into any DLC. I'm assuming the game time is limited?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
It's too bad that I can't take advantage of holy wars any more, because the only nations out there are all Sunni in my game. I kind of wish that there was a way to direct your vassals in the use of their advisers because the religious revolts are just damned annoying to deal with. It would be so great if every Grand Vizier were trying to convert provinces, but apparently only I and maybe two of my vassals care about conversions, not to mention that sometimes years go by with nothing happening.

edit:

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hold Ramadan any time the big scary numbers look too scary to you---it doesn't even have to be every year, seriously. And that's it. That is how you handle decadence.

The trouble is that my random religious revolts always seem to pop up a month into Ramadan and then the event ends automatically, but it already worked to take a couple of tics off of my decadence before stopping, thanks!

Trundel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Guys, seriously.
STOP EXECUTING YOUR RELATIVES AS MUSLIM.

I mean, this isn't wrong or anything, but it kind of misses the point -- that it's impossible to play as a Muslim ruler without resorting to absurd, gamey tactics. Whether you execute your relatives or merely imprison them, your dynasty will always exist as essentially a single patrilineal branch. Any other approach inevitably leads to unchecked decadence growth.

• Locked thread