Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Current state of EQ is just stupid. It's crazy because the game is so much fun when you're actually able to play in a group. 16 classes and each of them feel uniquely different. But the population is so low that 1/2 of the classes can't be effectively played by themselves without you having to box something or being near trivial returns.

I don't know anything about long term consequences and I know they probably never would given how much money they make off server transfer tokens, but if they merged the servers into 2-4 tops I'd probably never log off.

There's a huge disconnect between people who still play and people who are wanting to play too. People who still play these days think the game isn't anywhere as bad as it really is because they're in established guilds with long time friends who they do a ton of poo poo with, where if you're just wanting to come back and play and don't know anyone it's an entirely different experience to where it can be nearly unplayable given your class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I keep hearing rumblings about a double xp weekend coming up but all I can find on google is stuff about an EQII double xp weekend coming up. Is this just hearsay or is there anything to back it up?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

WetSpink posted:

I keep hearing rumblings about a double xp weekend coming up but all I can find on google is stuff about an EQII double xp weekend coming up. Is this just hearsay or is there anything to back it up?

Hearsay. Backed by past Labor Day weekends having double exp, rares, and sc as normal promotions.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Midnight City posted:

Current state of EQ is just stupid. It's crazy because the game is so much fun when you're actually able to play in a group. 16 classes and each of them feel uniquely different. But the population is so low that 1/2 of the classes can't be effectively played by themselves without you having to box something or being near trivial returns.

I don't know anything about long term consequences and I know they probably never would given how much money they make off server transfer tokens, but if they merged the servers into 2-4 tops I'd probably never log off.

There's a huge disconnect between people who still play and people who are wanting to play too. People who still play these days think the game isn't anywhere as bad as it really is because they're in established guilds with long time friends who they do a ton of poo poo with, where if you're just wanting to come back and play and don't know anyone it's an entirely different experience to where it can be nearly unplayable given your class.
Yeah, I've mentioned a few times that it would be insanely awesome if they merged servers so that the game felt downright crowded. I wouldn't mind if we were back to having to stand in line for camps! It would be no problem at all at lower levels since the choice of zones is HUGE, and even for modern content, people can generally speaking choose between 3-4 zones (tier 1 and tier 2) from the get-go.

I wouldn't call modern EQ stupid though. It's a dream game for a person like me who likes boxing a one-man army, likes the grind and loves the nostalgia. Still, I think it's more fun with an active goon guild, and occasional grouping - I just can't group that much due to RL.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Been playing this game on test lately, having a good time checking out all the stuff I missed back in the day. However, in 47 levels, I've found a grand total of one piece of defiant leather gear that I picked up within the first half hour, and no weapons that I can use as a monk. If someone didn't mention that you can get some basic equipment though /testbuff, I'd be naked aside from these defiant boots and a few mesh pieces I just found. Got plenty of plate though, as well as some cloth and slashing weapons. If anyone wants to trade or lend me a hand, that would be really great. Even just a little bit of money would be nice so I can stop stressing out about making enough to keep up with merc fees. Normally I wouldn't ask for anything, but cash seems just about worthless for a lot of people on the test server. Ingame name is Enzee.

Also, I picked up this bracer in Lguk earlier but it doesn't give me any stats when I wear it. Has this yellow background on the equip screen. What's up with that?

And lastly, as a monk, all you lose when you go over the class weight limit is defense or AC or something, right? Because I'm starting to give up on it and might as well go grab a bunch of backpacks to fill with the poo poo I pick up, rather than letting it all rot. The tank merc takes all the hits anyways.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Hmmm. Monk. Cazic-Thule. You must be an Iksar, and that bracer doesn't have IKS on it. The bracer is racist.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Vargs posted:

However, in 47 levels, I've found a grand total of one piece of defiant leather gear that I picked up within the first half hour, and no weapons that I can use as a monk.

That's a really severe case of bad luck you had there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Vargs posted:

Been playing this game on test lately, having a good time checking out all the stuff I missed back in the day. However, in 47 levels, I've found a grand total of one piece of defiant leather gear that I picked up within the first half hour, and no weapons that I can use as a monk. If someone didn't mention that you can get some basic equipment though /testbuff, I'd be naked aside from these defiant boots and a few mesh pieces I just found. Got plenty of plate though, as well as some cloth and slashing weapons. If anyone wants to trade or lend me a hand, that would be really great. Even just a little bit of money would be nice so I can stop stressing out about making enough to keep up with merc fees. Normally I wouldn't ask for anything, but cash seems just about worthless for a lot of people on the test server. Ingame name is Enzee.

Also, I picked up this bracer in Lguk earlier but it doesn't give me any stats when I wear it. Has this yellow background on the equip screen. What's up with that?

And lastly, as a monk, all you lose when you go over the class weight limit is defense or AC or something, right? Because I'm starting to give up on it and might as well go grab a bunch of backpacks to fill with the poo poo I pick up, rather than letting it all rot. The tank merc takes all the hits anyways.

I think I uninstalled EQ after my brief test return last year, but if not I can log on and invite you into the guild I made just to use a guild bank and you can take whatever you want that's in the bank. I know there was a ton of defiant gear in there, but can't remember what versions of it are there.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Pilsner posted:

I wouldn't call modern EQ stupid though. It's a dream game for a person like me who likes boxing a one-man army, likes the grind and loves the nostalgia. Still, I think it's more fun with an active goon guild, and occasional grouping - I just can't group that much due to RL.

I still think one of the best aspects of EQ is how flexible it is with allowing different level players to play alongside each other. 15 level difference? Not a problem, come roll with us while we beat poo poo up! Hell, there is even a level of flexibility to the raiding.

It's a far cry from WoW, where even at max level you can feel absolutely useless if you aren't geared to a certain extent.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Vargs posted:

monk stuff

Check your /claim if this is an old-ish account. You'll have a bunch of 100% weight reduction bags. Claim one or two on live and copy them over (most are heirloom) to test server using an alt character. Do that for a couple days you'll have a ton of bags.

BTW to any new Test goons, if you plan on /testcopy-ing stuff. DO NOT /testcopy your main more than once, it will overwrite it. Some moron in our guild lost his level 100 sk doing that last night.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Medullah posted:

I think I uninstalled EQ after my brief test return last year, but if not I can log on and invite you into the guild I made just to use a guild bank and you can take whatever you want that's in the bank. I know there was a ton of defiant gear in there, but can't remember what versions of it are there.

The guild bank was purged of a lot of lowbie stuff that wasn't novelty twink stuff (by me mostly, HEH) because it was drat near pointless to even equip with how fast most of us leveled after our first characters. I think the lowest stuff in there might be 70ish.

ClassActJerk
Nov 4, 2010

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.
Just wanted to say if you are in your late 70s and need some help with smething hit me up as Rangerick in game on test.
Also for anyone who wants to come back to EQ, know that, all the goons server wide chat and test are incredibly helpful and knowledgable.

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.

darkhand posted:

BTW to any new Test goons, if you plan on /testcopy-ing stuff. DO NOT /testcopy your main more than once, it will overwrite it. Some moron in our guild lost his level 100 sk doing that last night.

I did that on accident to my 100 beastlord and customer service restored it for me within about 5 hours.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stanos posted:

The guild bank was purged of a lot of lowbie stuff that wasn't novelty twink stuff (by me mostly, HEH) because it was drat near pointless to even equip with how fast most of us leveled after our first characters. I think the lowest stuff in there might be 70ish.

I was never in Roost, this is my own personal guild I created to share items amongst 4 accounts. :)

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Does anyone have a "Krezik's Blistering Judgement" (a rather nice 92-95 2hb 221/36) or something equally as nice on Test or can copy one over please?

I can throw some Test Zimbabwe plat at you or help you out with something hopefully!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Double post because...

In EverQuest, enjoy Double XP beginning at 5:00pm PDT on Thursday, August 29, through 11:59pm PDT on Monday, September 2, 2013.

4 hours from now!

Remember xp is additive not multiplicative, Test will be at 300%, FV at 250%. Xp Pots/Lesson adds another 100% on top of that.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Fazana posted:

Double post because...

In EverQuest, enjoy Double XP beginning at 5:00pm PDT on Thursday, August 29, through 11:59pm PDT on Monday, September 2, 2013.

4 hours from now!

Remember xp is additive not multiplicative, Test will be at 300%, FV at 250%. Xp Pots/Lesson adds another 100% on top of that.

Hell yeah. Time to get some levels.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I legitimately wish I could have fun in EQ again. When I see this double xp stuff I get so pumped, then I log on and a half hour later I'm deathly bored. Please be good EQNext :siren:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Vargs posted:

The weird thing is, you can equip any piece of gear, even if you can't use it, it'll just have a yellow background, and you'll gain no stats from it.

All you lose above the weight limit is AC, and rather quickly (50+) the limit is 24, then increases quickly to... 32 or 36 or something. Don't sweat going a bit over. Later on, you'll have 100% WR bags and light gear all over.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Fazana posted:

Double post because...

4 hours from now!

Awesome timing, I have the whole weekend free. Time to finally get to 80!

On a related note, is anyone still test-copying Abstruse sets? I could really use a set for my SK.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I don't think anyone ever really testcopied Abstruse, just the VoA rustic. I haven't even heard of that being copied recently, though the 92 gear is available pretty regularly

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Where would be the best place to get AAs at level 59 ? I'm currently doing Greig's End as theres no healer or runners and the mobs have low hp/damage.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
City of Bronze is nice, done 60% regular xp in 92 this morning whilst grouped with a Ranger who has just been autofiring his bow. He made 88-90 in the same period!

Biggest hazard isn't the mobs, it's mages doing their beam kiting nonsense :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Baconroll posted:

Where would be the best place to get AAs at level 59 ? I'm currently doing Greig's End as theres no healer or runners and the mobs have low hp/damage.

I spent a lot of time in Sssrrrahahahahhahrr (however you spell it) Temple when my guys were 59, because you can just go back and forth killing waves of snakes...but that's probably mostly because I originally stopped playing after Planes of Power so I didn't know any of the new zones.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Baconroll posted:

I think from 59-65 or so I camped out in Undershore and killed Shiliskins. It's a hotzone and the xp was something like 3-4% per kill. They do have healers, but weren't too tough. I was 3 boxing + 3 mercs, though.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Found out after lots of grinding AA this weekend so far that the double xp is only +20% to AA due to how the sub-4000 AA bonus works. You go from 500% AA xp to 600% AA xp, where with normal xp you go from 100% to 200%! Insidious! Managed to get 60-62 on a bard in the same time it took her to get 10 AAs.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

WetSpink posted:

Found out after lots of grinding AA this weekend so far that the double xp is only +20% to AA due to how the sub-4000 AA bonus works. You go from 500% AA xp to 600% AA xp, where with normal xp you go from 100% to 200%! Insidious! Managed to get 60-62 on a bard in the same time it took her to get 10 AAs.

That would explain why it feels like I was still getting close to my standard AA rates with my box but as soon as I decided to start pumping their level up instead I literally shot from 71-75 in no time.

I brought my level 54 bard to where I was killing and just grouped him AFK with me and he has already hit 62 in less than 2 hours. Think I'm just going to pump him up to 70+ before I even stop for AA since the bonus is ridiculous when combined with standard Test bonus + a hot zone

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Mostly has to do with xp bonuses being additive. I didn't know it was additive for the AA bonus too, but here we are.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Scorps posted:

That would explain why it feels like I was still getting close to my standard AA rates with my box but as soon as I decided to start pumping their level up instead I literally shot from 71-75 in no time.

I brought my level 54 bard to where I was killing and just grouped him AFK with me and he has already hit 62 in less than 2 hours. Think I'm just going to pump him up to 70+ before I even stop for AA since the bonus is ridiculous when combined with standard Test bonus + a hot zone

Where'd you do 71-75?

si
Apr 26, 2004

WetSpink posted:

Where'd you do 71-75?

Wall of Slaughter is pretty fast for 71-78 with the hotzone bonus.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

WetSpink posted:

Where'd you do 71-75?

I've been doing Walls of Slaughter the 3 camps right by Noble's Causeway zone in. I have been pulling all the camps on repop when I'm around and going AFK in one room with three spawns when I'm not

4boxing a 75 Monk/Sham/Mag and a 66 and rising Bard + Tank and Healer merc

I've done probably close to 500 AA's on each of the main boxes here in the past week or two as well, it really is pretty drat nice with the hotzone bonus

Scorps fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 2, 2013

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

darkhand posted:

Mostly has to do with xp bonuses being additive. I didn't know it was additive for the AA bonus too, but here we are.

Yup, this weekend in HoT Grounds on my Decap zerker, I've been getting 1 AA per kill.

Edit: This is also a shoutout to Rangerrick who I ran into in general. Hopefully GHs work today.

Wayback fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 2, 2013

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Are the continuing lag spikes also affecting people on Live or is it a Test only problem atm? I know it's not just me as quite a few people in one of the chat channels I use reported today it being the worst it has been so far of the week or so of hit hitting every 10-15 minutes. Today though it seems more like every 2-3 minutes and after my third death from hitting an inc key and the badly timed 1-2 second hitch being enough for me to get overrun and splatted I've given up for the day.

Got to 100 over the weekend, will be gradually working various forms of progression over time. Just finishing the last few tasks for the Feerrott complete achievement got me 95aa today so it's going to be a nice source of xp as well as getting stuff done. The first Grounds task is a bitch, handing the bones into an npc that has 6-7 mobs in range of which at least one, the doorway mob, can see invis. I was going to pet attack and sacrifice that and my merc to do the handin but the final lagspike of the day caught me as I pulled the trigger mob :v:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That is for sure a bitch of a task. Just DA your pet and run like hell if you're not a necro. You'll probably still die but you can finish the task that way

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

If it's part of a group task i can do it easy for you on my rogue. I was able to sneak while doing the turn in I think.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I think you can double invis and hide in a corner for that one, or DA train everything out and rush in for the turn-in.
It's a personal task, so you can't just get a rogue to do it for you.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Is it worth getting MQ2 / KissAssist if you don't intend to AFK XP, but just want some extra automation tools while boxing normally? Does it still do the 'mark every NPC on the map' thing?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Did it first go this morning by sending the pet in and letting it aggro everything then wandering to the quest mob and turned the bones in. Levant'd away and saved the merc and myself, sorry Kebaba!

Unfortunately I'm still lagging very badly, I don't mind dying when I screw up as usually I learn something but dying when I was hammering the button for pet to attack or PParalysis etc and nothing happens just sucks. Will try again tomorrow. I've tried other online games etc and not a problem so :shrug: Pissed off tbh as I've been looking forward to doing this stuff.

I hope healer mercs get buff extension aa's!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Vulpes posted:

Is it worth getting MQ2 / KissAssist if you don't intend to AFK XP, but just want some extra automation tools while boxing normally? Does it still do the 'mark every NPC on the map' thing?

It does still have MQ2Map yeah. You can automate with it as much/little as you want, so it's really just up to you whether you want to or not. I found isboxer with a few macros does everything I need, but MQ2 REALLY helps if you're trying to box melee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I know it's been mentioned somewhere in this 200+ page thread, but I can't find it:

What spells should I block from my healer merc?