Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"Steam's servers are too busy to handle your request to play Sid Meier's Civilization V." Picked a fine time to do your SimCity impression, Gaben. I got it to work now, but that's a warning message I never want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
In my Venice game, I now control more delegates than anyone after a couple of coups, goading Poland into attacking Alexander and eliminating him, and generally being awesome. I share borders with the only two civs that have a chance to beat me at anything, Poland and Rome. Poland is huge - he controls 20 cities easily.

What's the best way to get the two of them to fight each other, then strike when they're weakest?

Aside: gently caress this is the best version of Civ ever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also 'without mods'. It's bizarre to me that anyone who has BNW is still mod-free.

I've never used a mod of any kind on any Steam game, so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

I've never used a mod of any kind on any Steam game, so.

At least try using Infoaddict. Playing without it is like keeping your blast shield down.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

At least try using Infoaddict. Playing without it is like keeping your blast shield down.

BUT MY CHEEVOS

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Having played with infoaddict and Trade Opportunities, I'm of the sincere belief that anyone playing without them is having an impoverished experience.

Yeah I'm a Civ snob :colbert:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

...Is like what? I could try to puzzle out what that's on about, but I'd rather ask. I can understand 'is like blinding yourself' or some such, but you're clearly referencing something else and probably not a nuclear test.

Oh, and it bears noting that there is a 'Multiplayer' option under 'Mods' these gays. Whether it works, no one's said yet. I guess no one's bothered trying it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bloodly posted:

...Is like what? I could try to puzzle out what that's on about, but I'd rather ask. I can understand 'is like blinding yourself' or some such, but you're clearly referencing something else and probably not a nuclear test.

Oh, and it bears noting that there is a 'Multiplayer' option under 'Mods' these gays. Whether it works, no one's said yet. I guess no one's bothered trying it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69NCLxwLEY

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

Having played with infoaddict and Trade Opportunities, I'm of the sincere belief that anyone playing without them is having an impoverished experience.

Yeah I'm a Civ snob :colbert:

Snobs prefer purity.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Amazon sales time! CiV Gold + BNW for $30, or BNW stand-alone for $15.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Do roads give bonus gold over just having harbours? i.e. is it worth making them as Carthage before you need to move quicky?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

rypakal posted:

Snobs prefer purity.

Playing with readily-accessible information at your fingertips delivers a significantly more-pure Civ V experience than having to click through thousands of screens and scribble notes on scratch paper. :colbert:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Koramei posted:

Do roads give bonus gold over just having harbours? i.e. is it worth making them as Carthage before you need to move quicky?

Nope, the city connection bonus calculation is the same regardless of whether it's made with roads or harbors. Just keep in mind each harbor costs 3 gold to maintain, so hold off on building them until the first overseas city is 6 pop or over.

EDIT: I know I've posted this before but the actual formula is (city population * 1.1) + (capital population * .15) - 1

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 29, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Thank you! I picked it up for 15. Yaaay!

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

:catstare: VENICE!

Yes, I know it's a bug, and it was back to normal next turn.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Peas and Rice posted:

In my Venice game, I now control more delegates than anyone after a couple of coups, goading Poland into attacking Alexander and eliminating him, and generally being awesome. I share borders with the only two civs that have a chance to beat me at anything, Poland and Rome. Poland is huge - he controls 20 cities easily.

What's the best way to get the two of them to fight each other, then strike when they're weakest?

Aside: gently caress this is the best version of Civ ever.

Pay Poland like 500 GPT to DoW every other civ on the map, then right afterwards you DoW him. The GPT gets cancelled and you get a diplomatic boost with everyone for sharing a common enemy. Then you can just turtle until he's occupied elsewhere.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I'm getting really sick of finding the barrier reef in the frozen north with only one tile workable and Krakatoa in the middle of the ocean out of range of anything, etc. I have the mods that fix those, but I also want MAH CHEEVOS.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm getting really sick of finding the barrier reef in the frozen north with only one tile workable and Krakatoa in the middle of the ocean out of range of anything, etc. I have the mods that fix those, but I also want MAH CHEEVOS.

Krakatoa has been fixed to spawn only on workable tiles.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Doesn't fix the underlying problem, since being in workable range does not guarantee that it will ever be practical or useful to claim Krakatoa.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My Civ 5 is downloading something. A new patch afoot? Any news?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=172621441

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171848133

These are the best Civ V mods. :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Now I want someone to do this as a mod.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jedit posted:

Doesn't seem like it. My latest game was on an Archipelago map as Portugal (wanted to see what Feitoria spam could do, turns out not much) and Krakatoa was way out in the middle of nowhere by itself.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Been waiting for this to come up in the thread ever since UK Amazon did the same thing. Thanks a ton, Poland here I come! :poland:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

That sale is fantastic. Now I can be terrible at Civ V just like I was at Civ IV!

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Are there any good mods that buff the less impressive civs? I want to like Washington but apparently Firaxis is a bunch of godless commies because America is pretty clearly the worst civilization, with the only one giving it any competition being Germany. Any combination of, like, 25% border growth, faster settler production, or double yield for hexes a city is founded on would be so much better for landgrabbing than the almost totally useless UA it has right now.

e: VVV well ideally they should all be equally fun and viable. If I wanted to play some garbage civ I'd download the Beavis and Butthead or Krogan mods.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 30, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

I am Reverend posted:

Are there any good mods that buff the less impressive civs? I want to like Washington but apparently Firaxis is a bunch of godless commies because America is pretty clearly the worst civilization, with the only one giving it any competition being Germany. Any combination of, like, 25% border growth, faster settler production, or double yield for hexes a city is founded on would be so much better for landgrabbing than the almost totally useless UA it has right now.

I've made god use of the sight bonus when playing america.

I'm not happy with the idea of boosting the weaker civs. The whole point of random civ choice is making the best with what you get. I like a crappy start with a mismatched civ. Makes me try new things.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

I am Reverend posted:

e: VVV well ideally they should all be equally fun and viable. If I wanted to play some garbage civ I'd download the Beavis and Butthead or Krogan mods.

Try a double scout opener if you haven't already. That sight bonus is a huge boon early game, Minutemen are also pretty high up there in the gunpowder line of unique units.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

'Game downloads are only available to buyers in the US' What the gently caress is this bullshit Amazon? Why do you not want me to give you money?

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 30, 2013

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
How is it that every time I play a warmongering Civ i get put off in some remote corner of the continent and whenever I want to play a peaceful game, I spawn with Attila, Genghis, Monty, and Alex around me?

In my current game I'm Assyria, only I've never gone to war with anyone because I'm seperated from the rest of the continent by a giant desert. Luckily I've made friends with nearly everyone and I'm gunning for a science victory, since why not. Started next to a mountain so I've got the extra science from that.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
I'm glad I spent 60 bucks on this poo poo not 5 days before this went on sale. Oh well, everyone gets Steam'd once. And the game is good enough that I don't regret it.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Fly McCool posted:

I'm glad I spent 60 bucks on this poo poo not 5 days before this went on sale. Oh well, everyone gets Steam'd once. And the game is good enough that I don't regret it.

A day or two after BNW came out it went on sale for cheaper than the pre-order price.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Fly McCool posted:

The new rule of PC gaming is never, ever, ever buy a game outside of a steam sale, unless it is on sale somewhere else.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

rypakal posted:

The new rule of PC gaming is never, ever, ever buy a game outside of a steam sale, unless it is on sale somewhere else.

Yeah, this is going hand in hand with the "only rent unless it's an RPG" rule for consoles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This goes doubly true for Civ V. The brand new expansion pack? Sure. Civ V itself? The Gold Edition is dirt cheap and routinely goes on sale for 75% off. Never ever buy that for full price under any circumstance.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Slippery Nipple posted:

'Game downloads are only available to buyers in the US' What the gently caress is this bullshit Amazon? Why do you not want me to give you money?

Just use a fake US address that's not blatantly fake. It's just a steam code.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Just won my first Emperor game! Poland CAN into space! I think I got 4-5 different achievements when I won.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, been doing this for over a year and no issues.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kyrosiris posted:

Blatantly fake worked for me when getting some of the DLC. I used the Whitehouse :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's come to my attention that a lot of people don't realize that nukes can totally erase cities without ever putting boots on the ground. Well, they can! Take scenic Spain in my current game, for example. She backstabbed me 1000 years ago over religious grievances and she's made a point of ineffectually denouncing me every time her cooldown came up since then, despite the embargo and all of her allies being slowly pushed into their respective oceans. I could be building spaceship parts, but I wanted to make one quick stop first...

Before:
After:

All it took was 6 ICBMs on 3 nuclear subs! Now she's groveling in fear and all is right in the world.

Kyrosiris posted:

If you want a legit address that can't be followed up, find an apartment complex and use that address without an apartment number.

rypakal posted:

Unless you want to play at launch, in which case the law of preorders applies

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 30, 2013

• Locked thread